daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
daedalusknight wrote:HUGO (Human Genome Organisation) was started in 1989, though, wasn't it?

I could be mistaken.... or maybe the site has it wrong.

Yeah... I was right...

HUGO homepage

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:HUGO (Human Genome Organisation) was started in 1989, though, wasn't it?

I could be mistaken.... or maybe the site has it wrong.

Anyway, Woot's not going to disqualify the shirt because it got the year wrong, are they?

I don't know if it will be rejected or not. Although if it isn't, can I enter a design that's incorrectly dated? I swear Woodstock happened in 1984. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts
Re: 1984: Robots in Disguise

the shadow is great! Good colors too

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:Yeah... I was right...

HUGO homepage

Even worse.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
daedalusknight wrote:Isn't it the only punk shirt in the derby? :-)

Feedback: I love the layout and color palette, Nice and sharp for a sharp band. I wonder, though, if the curviness of things is hurting the design. When I think Ramones I think sharp edges and abrupt corners, not swervy roundness.

Just a thought.

You got me, it is the only punk shirt. I can't believe there's that many 70's children not addressing punk. I am shamed by my decade! :^)

Re Feedback: Agreed. I was hoping, however, that by making it a simpler, less Ramones-specific shirt, it would appeal to non-Ramones fans. (I also wanted to avoid any flirtation with existing Ramones IP and likenesses - the only way to make it a real "Ramones" shirt is to reference iconic images or use text - neither of which would be acceptable to Woot... so why bother going to the effort to make it Ramones specific?) But I should know by now that most Woot voters never separate the name/theme from the design itself. Sometimes a good t-shirt design is just a good t-shirt design. Whatever pretense it was entered under in the theme should be irrelevant. Once you buy a t-shirt, it should stand on its own without the Woot theme hovering over it.

This design is just a generic rock band rocking out. It's been consciously softened so that it could appeal to less "rock-minded" people, but retains its rock street cred by being on black and featuring the token Marshal stack. I like to call this style "chibi-punk". :^)

I often feel that many more designs would be warmly embraced if there wasn't some hesitation about its attachment to theme. I'm often told my designs "are great, but might not relate to the theme enough." Well, if Woot never rejects the design, then why not vote for a "great design"? Why be a slave to the theme when it's no longer going to have any relevance when it lands on your doorstep? Wear good shirts, not "clever derby entries". Too many designs are embraced because they cleverly fit a theme - but remove the design from context and it's just a confusing t-shirt.

I will continue to be flummoxed by my stubborn adherence to just designing shirts I'd wear. :^)

Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

awesomepossum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awesomepossum
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

Love, love, love the new design!! It GMV. This one is more suited for the women's shirts. Thanks for the resub!

daedalusknight

twincarma wrote:true,
that was what i was meaning. Im sure cho can do something else very good to but why

I love seeing artists stretch themselves to things outside what they are known for. Nothing wrong with sticking to your strengths, but Picasso would've never become a cubist if he stuck with his "blue period."

I'm sure Cho would produce fabulous work whatever he tried his hand at. Ducks included. :-)

daedalusknight

superspryte wrote:I don't know if it will be rejected or not. Although if it isn't, can I enter a design that's incorrectly dated? I swear Woodstock happened in 1984. ^_~

D'oh! You and your logic... making me look bad. :-)

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:D'oh! You and your logic... making me look bad. :-)

Not trying to make anyone look bad. Except maybe the faulty sources. ^_^

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
daedalusknight wrote:Yeah... I was right...

HUGO homepage

HUGO began in 1988, when they got together in Switzerland, the official results of HUGO were released in 1989 ;) and was officially recognized in 1988.

http://www.hugo-international.org/mission_history.htm

centexman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centexman
Re: 1962 - Goodbye Norma Jean

I have looked at it again and again, I really can't see the phallic appearance. Not that it really matters... I don't see this making its way to the fog ANY time soon. But thanks for the comments and the votes!!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: 1987: Black Monday

you really should withdraw this, and resubmit it on a shirt, because the way it is now has to get rejected. At any rate, you should withdraw one of the two copies of the design- there's an "X" on the derby page next to each of your designs, you can withdraw it for the first 24 hours. Seriously, it will be rejected unless it's on a shirt in the big image.

daedalusknight

gargrazz wrote:You got me, it is the only punk shirt. I can't believe there's that many 70's children not addressing punk. I am shamed by my decade! :^)

That's true. But there's such a wide range of music this time around... Metal, pop, big band, acid rock. I'm glad to see there are so many musical folk out there.

gargrazz wrote: Re Feedback: Agreed. I was hoping, however, that by making it a simpler, less Ramones-specific shirt, it would appeal to non-Ramones fans. (I also wanted to avoid any flirtation with existing Ramones IP and likenesses - the only way to make it a real "Ramones" shirt is to reference iconic images or use text - neither of which would be acceptable to Woot... so why bother going to the effort to make it Ramones specific?)

That makes sense.

gargrazz wrote: I like to call this style "chibi-punk". :^)

Ha! Good one. :-)

gargrazz wrote: but remove the design from context and it's just a confusing t-shirt.

That's not always the case, but it certainly happens enough. I try to make my shirts something I would wear to a place where nobody's ever heard of Woot. Sometimes I'm more successful at that, sometimes less.

gargrazz wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

You're entirely welcome.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
rushblume wrote:The enthusiasm for the "Thriller Shirt" has been incredible, but some have asked for a more subtle design. I present to you "Thriller 2" — and I'm 'thrilled' with the new design!

This shirt has been redesigned to include smaller "Zombie Michael Jacksons" arranged in two rows across the chest.

Thanks to everyone for the great support and feedback. I debated doing this redesign, weighing the effect it might have on the original entry, but I really just wanted to offer the best possible shirt for everyone... so once again, thank you!

Please help me to get the word out if you're pumped about the new design!

so much better ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
lilwerewolfgirl wrote:

Oh and the above pic is grainy o_O i can promise the dragon isn't grainy at all...... im so new at this XD;

To get rid of those artifacts (grainyness), make sure your file is exactly 600 X 600 px at 72 dots per inch. You need to save it in .jpg format (only .jpg will do) at the highest quality setting possible.

Check out my blog:Here!

lilwerewolfgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilwerewolfgirl
derekfilley wrote:To get rid of those artifacts (grainyness), make sure your file is exactly 600 X 600 px at 72 dots per inch. You need to save it in .jpg format (only .jpg will do) at the highest quality setting possible.

@___@ I noticed that once i uploaded it, cause i saved the preview was a JPEG, but the large image as a PNG, Ill make sure to save them as jpegs from now on. Thanks so much for the advice <333

twincarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
daedalusknight wrote:I love seeing artists stretch themselves to things outside what they are known for. Nothing wrong with sticking to your strengths, but Picasso would've never become a cubist if he stuck with his "blue period."

I'm sure Cho would produce fabulous work whatever he tried his hand at. Ducks included. :-)

this is true but as said by others, anything from the norm and you chance not winning the derby. Daily entry maybe.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
superspryte wrote:I don't know if it will be rejected or not. Although if it isn't, can I enter a design that's incorrectly dated? I swear Woodstock happened in 1984. ^_~

I think there are a couple of inacurate dates in this derby.
-Andy

ATho1100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATho1100
Re: 1993. Evil!

Ya like i couldent think of a design cause i am young, and nothing happened in 1993 so i decided to just go with the fact that i was born and all my other friends were born and were all evil little people.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Andy47240 wrote:I think there are a couple of inacurate dates in this derby.
-Andy

To be sure. I feel much the same about those.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1959: Invention of the Dyson Sphere

definitely geeky enough for me, and you've gmv!

If the Dyson Sphere were created, perhaps the elimination of the other planets would mean they would reinstate Pluto? (sorry, still a big topic at our house)

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

I have a question, is that darkest of brown color used for cross shading and the eyes just the shirt color shining through? If it is, then the shirt has 6 spot colors plus the shirt, if not, then its 7. Also, does anyone know if the light-gun is trademarked by nintendo. Hopefully none of this stuff has too much bearing, as it is a fantasticly executed design.

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi

The year of this entery is not incorrect. There is just discrepancy in when people say the project actually started, rather than just organized. It is completely accurate to claim that HGP had its start in 1988, and to say otherwise is a moot point in my opinion.

jsinteractive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsinteractive
superspryte wrote:To be sure. I feel much the same about those.

IF you look at the HUGO website you will see 1988 listed several times as the starting date for the organization (April and Sept). This is a quote from the HUGO website....

The Human Genome Organisation
History, Purposes and Membership - Victor A. McKusick

The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) was conceived in late April 1988, at the first meeting on genome mapping and sequencing at Cold Spring Harbor.

mjkelleher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjkelleher
daedalusknight wrote:Heeeh. Me too. My mother listened to this album while I was in the womb. :-)

Pups. :-D I was in high school the first time around, and it still gets my vote.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
QuigglyPhD wrote:I love this design - I am an Alien franchise fanatic. Alien might be a trademarked image of HR Geiger though so I hope it isn't rejected. I know I'd buy this shirt.

ya, hoping it's parody enough ;)

firegal51

quality posts: 1 Private Messages firegal51
Re: 1985 - Welcome the king of Puzzle Games (2)

I like the design (black brush strokes and all) but the placement seems weird.

mjkelleher

Re:1970 - Apollo 13

Drop the text, and it'll have my vote. Keep it and see the REJECTED label across it.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1982: Thriller 2

Might wanna axe the "2" in the 240x240, woot doesn't take kindly to gradients

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: 1970, Spoon Fork =

*giggles*, nice!

I once ate a cricket.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mia3mom wrote:definitely geeky enough for me, and you've gmv!

If the Dyson Sphere were created, perhaps the elimination of the other planets would mean they would reinstate Pluto? (sorry, still a big topic at our house)

It seems like I read that they HAD re-instated Pluto. Does anybody know for certain?

anyway, I think they'd probably just use Pluto to plug the last little hole...

mjkelleher

ATho1100 wrote:Ya like i couldent think of a design cause i am young, and nothing happened in 1993 so i decided to just go with the fact that i was born and all my other friends were born and were all evil little people.

Oh, please. Wikipedia - 1993

A sampling of entertainment, technology and politics, just in the first four months:

January - The first issue of Wired is published.
January 20 - Bill Clinton succeeds George H.W. Bush as the 42nd President of the United States of America.
February 26 - World Trade Center bombing: In New York City, a van bomb parked below the North Tower of the World Trade Center goes off, killing 6 and injuring over 1,000.
March 9 - Beavis and Butt-Head debuts on MTV.
April 19- A 51-day stand-off at the Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas, ends with a fire that kills 76 people, including David Koresh.
April 22 - In Washington, DC, the Holocaust Memorial Museum is dedicated.
April 22 - The web browser Mosaic version 1.0 is released.
April 30 - The World Wide Web is born at CERN.

rushblume

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rushblume
Discobiscuits wrote:Might wanna axe the "2" in the 240x240, woot doesn't take kindly to gradients

The "2" in the 240x240 preview just signifies that this is the 2nd version of the Thriller shirt (much in the same way some people put "CLICK FOR DETAIL" etc.) -- the shirt design itself has no gradients at all. Please clue me in if I'm missing something, and thanks for the comment!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
wonderstew wrote:There's enough anti-gun sentiment floating around, I figured it diminished marketability.

Meh.

That is a good point, don't wanna risk rejectionation by including a gun, better to sensor it with a dismembered rabbits head.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
frantix wrote:The entire read... Lawnchair Larry @ Wikipedia.

good find frantix, I read most of the lawnchair larry article but I didn't think to search the imitators.

ephobia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephobia
Discobiscuits wrote:Might wanna axe the "2" in the 240x240, woot doesn't take kindly to gradients

You need to look at the shirt and not the preview as the "2" wouldn't get printed on the shirt if this were to be among the top 3.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jsinteractive wrote:IF you look at the HUGO website you will see 1988 listed several times as the starting date for the organization (April and Sept). This is a quote from the HUGO website....

The Human Genome Organisation
History, Purposes and Membership - Victor A. McKusick

The Human Genome Organisation (HUGO) was conceived in late April 1988, at the first meeting on genome mapping and sequencing at Cold Spring Harbor.

HUGO isn't the HGP.

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
rushblume wrote:The "2" in the 240x240 preview just signifies that this is the 2nd version of the Thriller shirt (much in the same way some people put "CLICK FOR DETAIL" etc.) -- the shirt design itself has no gradients at all. Please clue me in if I'm missing something, and thanks for the comment!

When people have replaced the shirt color with a gradient, woot has been quick to reject since others started complaining that it gave the shirt the advantage of standing out among the detail images. Your "2" did as intended for me, signifying a second submission, and used as others use "click here", so I'd hope you'd be fine. Woot's call as always. But I for one think you're crazy for taking the chance on splitting the vote when the other is already in the fog! Time will tell....

ephobia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephobia
Re: 1989 -Tiananmen Square

If I didn't read the title, I couldn't tell that was a tank. And the placement of the design on the shirt is weird.

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

if you don't mind me asking, what program do you use to draw your pieces with?