ATho1100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATho1100
Re: 1993. Evil!

lol that was my brother on my account... he thought he had to use the one woot supplied but im not stupid and i no u don't have to

revoxley501

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revoxley501
sevenseas wrote:1975 was the year the Altair 8800 made it's start. Bill Gates and Paul Allen ended up writing Altair Basic for it and formed "Miro-Soft". Who knew this tiny plant would grow so huge?

love it

i actually know the guy that invented the altair

he is a doctor in Cochran GA, he is my doctor

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: 1975 - Jaws scares moviegoers out of the water

That shark looks too good. Not at all like Jaws. Not mechanical enough. =)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: 1988 year of the dragon

Beautifully done, but I'm afraid the blue probably wouldn't print well on the blue shirt. The colours are quite similar; the ink will probably disappear into the fabric. There was a thread that had some examples of other shirts that printed with such problems...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

I love your drawing.

Check out my blog:Here!

KarenJ36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KarenJ36

LOVE this design. Want to order!

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Discobiscuits wrote:The sunburst looks very boxed in, but the wall looks great.

Yeah, i wholeheartedly agree with the sun-box comment, but given the contest, i figured I wouldn't resub it, just save myself for the next one.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjc613 wrote:OK. But I'm dying to know if he was born in 1972 or 1993.
http://shirtderbystats.com/pstats.asp?owner=ATho1100

Apparently his brother used his account. That explains the different dates.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

GlenX10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GlenX10
Re: 1971 - Mount Etna Erupts (resub)

us volcano shirts have got to stick together, i really like your stylized eruption.

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Graye wrote:Yes, but the Human Genome Project did not come into existence until 1990, when the Department of Energy and the National Institutes of Health presented the HUGO ideas to congress, which began the 15 year HGP.

"The Human Genome Project (HGP) refers to the international 13-year effort, formally begun in October 1990 and completed in 2003, to discover all the estimated 20,000-25,000 human genes and make them accessible for further biological study. Another project goal was to determine the complete sequence of the 3 billion DNA subunits (bases in the human genome). As part of the HGP, parallel studies were carried out on selected model organisms such as the bacterium E. coli and the mouse to help develop the technology and interpret human gene function. The DOE Human Genome Program and the NIH National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) together sponsored the U.S. Human Genome Project. "

Or if you really want to go in the way way back machine: http://www.genome.gov/25520329

"The Human Genome Project officialy begain in 1990. Beginning in December 1984, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), National Institutes of Health (NIH) and international groups had sponsored meetings to consider the feasibility and usefulness of mapping and sequencing the human genome. The DOE had become interested in studying the human genome as a way of aiding the detection of mutations that nuclear radiation might cause. Groups like the NIH and the Wellcome Trust in Britain had longstanding interest in understanding biology for the sake of advancing medicine.

In 1987, DOE proposed a Human Genome Initiative to Congress. Meanwhile, NIH had started funding occasional grants for genome projects. In 1988, an influential National Research Council report recommended a concerted program to map and sequence the human genome. Later that year, the U.S. Congress held hearings on the idea, and DOE and NIH joined forces on the project.

In 1990, DOE and NIH published a plan for the first five years of what was projected to be a 15-year project. The goals of the project included: mapping the human genome and eventually determining the sequence of all 3.2 billion letters in it; mapping and sequencing the genomes of other organisms important to the study of biology; developing technology for analyzing DNA; and studying the ethical, legal and social implications of genome research. "

Umm, fine, then say this is HUGO and not HGP and it doesn't matter, so everyone shutup about the date!!!!!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

folkkevi wrote:Umm, fine, then say this is HUGO and not HGP and it doesn't matter, so everyone shutup about the date!!!!!

That's not a very nice thing to say.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

omnipotent32

quality posts: 1 Private Messages omnipotent32

Fantastic. I love it! Fart!

Woot!
12/9/07 Viore HDTV Wizard Portable HDTV Tuner
Woot.Shirt!
12/9/07 "Unfriendly Locals" , 2/15/07 "Anatomy Test", "Sliced Bread", "Herd? What Herd?", "The Cake is a Liar", "Swimm Little Nessie!", "Angry Day" and "TAG"

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

This is awesome. I love the colors and the brown shirt.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

It's an excellent shark. I'm a collector of shark shirts, I have about 15 or so.

In the movie, I remember the woman swimming alone attacked by the shark, but I don't remember a scene like this, with a man swimming alone. There was a scene with kids in the water, but no-one alone like this. anybody?

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
sokowa wrote:Well, this week I drew 90% in photoshop then brought into illustrator to vector and clean it up. Sometimes I work only in illustrator (still learning the program) and I used to only use photoshop and convert everything into paths . . .
I'm still trying to figure out my style and also my technique.

Awesome, thanks... I'm pretty new to both programs and haven't gotten a handle on illustrator yet

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
frantix wrote:Not really huge on chess but this is really well done. GMV ...on both entries. ;)

what's chess.?It's a horse'y horsee? horsie? you know what I mean.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

twincarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
geekfactor12 wrote:Close, but not quite. If sub-par work is winning every week, there isn't much motivation for new artists to try to enter the Derby. That is true a sad majority of the time, and I assure you that as long as the work in the fog is well-done (like Cho's, Fable's and Zenne's typically is, for instance) the artists are happy and encouraged. I think most people entering would like this to be more of a meritocracy and less of a contest of who can come up with the most popular cultural reference.

The fact that the voting trends have forced even those talented artists to chase pop culture references is what cheapens the derby.

there are other sites where they showcase more artsy shirts, woot just isnt that place.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
QuigglyPhD wrote:Awesome, thanks... I'm pretty new to both programs and haven't gotten a handle on illustrator yet

no problem, feel free to ask questions ;) and good luck. Both programs are complicated, don't feel like you need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about each. ;)

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
twincarma wrote:there are other sites where they showcase more artsy shirts, woot just isnt that place.

Quality and artsy are not synonymous. Other people have complained about animal shirts, cartoon shirts, funny shirts, slogan shirts and nerd shirts. Consider my perspective as someone who likes all those types of shirts, but who wishes that voters had a better eye for the higher quality examples.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Josephus wrote:It's an excellent shark. I'm a collector of shark shirts, I have about 15 or so.

In the movie, I remember the woman swimming alone attacked by the shark, but I don't remember a scene like this, with a man swimming alone. There was a scene with kids in the water, but no-one alone like this. anybody?

I haven't seen the movie in a while, so you may be right. This picture is probably just "inspired by the movie Jaws".

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Tetris

If this is to be considered, you need to withdraw it, remove the text, and give it a title with the year you were born. You should also vote for it, so that people know that this is not a joke entry.

sundbe11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundbe11

like this one a lot better. well done

schlickler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlickler
Re: 1993. Evil!

I know you're not following the guide, but the shirt is awesome! Wait for the right derby and I think you've got a winner.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1979 - President Attacked by Rabbit! (version 2.0)

gotta love killer rabbits!

This would go very well with my bunny foo foo shirt!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
mjc613 wrote:If this is to be considered, you need to withdraw it, remove the text, and give it a title with the year you were born. You should also vote for it, so that people know that this is not a joke entry.

So if you don't vote for your own entry people think it's a joke entry? That explains so much... mainly these last few months for me.

br3ds0x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages br3ds0x
Re: Hands Across America

"On the afternoon of Sunday, May 25, 1986, almost seven million people joined hands to form a line that stretched 4,152 miles (6,682 km) – from New York City's Battery Park to a pier in Long Beach, California. This nationwide event, called Hands Across America, was intended to raise money to fight hunger and homelessness."

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
br3ds0x wrote:"On the afternoon of Sunday, May 25, 1986, almost seven million people joined hands to form a line that stretched 4,152 miles (6,682 km) – from New York City's Battery Park to a pier in Long Beach, California. This nationwide event, called Hands Across America, was intended to raise money to fight hunger and homelessness."

Hi there, fellow designer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your shirt is going to be rejected by Woot. But have no fear, you can still fix things and re-submit. Here's what I see that needs correction:

- You need to put the year number in the shirt's title.

- The chains appear to have a gradient in them. Woot can't print gradients. If it's not a gradient then there are too many colors. Woot only allows six ink colors per shirt.

There's still time to fix your shirt. Please click the red " X " above your entry to delete it and then re-submit a corrected version. That way you can still be in the contest. Good luck to you!

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

Why the hell would this get rejected? And yes, it'll be in the top 3. The only thing that looks similar to The Legend of Zelda are the hearts at the top of the design. Everything else is extremely original.

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: 1980 St. Helens Erupts

I was close enough to get knee-deep in ash. Believe me that was no fun at all. Awesome shirt, GMV

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: 1956 - Color TV enters world

Hey, someone closer to my age. So far I am the oldest etrant.
I like your design, but not the color of the shirt.

Good luck, from a newbie oldie!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
dekonstruct wrote:You cannot deny that this is awesome. The dog needs a target over it's face though, everyone always tries to shoot that damn dog.

Truth. The makers of duck hunt would make millions if they allowed a "shoot the dog" game to be made for the wii virtual console

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: 1984: Big Brother is Watching You

Here's the awesome Apple computer Superbowl video ad about 1984:

http://www.apple-history.com/movies/1984.mov

AdderXYU

outlawmoogle wrote:He has talent, I just think some people are frustrated seeing the same artists win every week. Which is also probably why Woot upped the prize money to $1000 to try to attract new designers.

People frustrated with the same artists winning every week need to reflect on the purpose of the derby. It's purpose is to print the three best shirts, and while it usually falls flat of this goal, the fact is that the people who get printed most often are the ones who bring high quality design with high quality concept.

Or, to break it down another way, "he has talent, but" is saying that talent shouldn't be a basis on quality. It is. You want fewer prints by an artist, you get other good artists. You want more Limes In Coconuts, you go to another site.

littlejetties

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlejetties

This design is so good. Why is it not in the fog. A couple of days ago, I actually thought I would be buying a derby shirt again. It's been a while. Maybe next week.

ThePerson98

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ThePerson98
Re: 1986: Remember Chernobyl

I've had a lotta interest in Chernobyl and all and like the idea..but it isnt made to be a shirt..

The power plant itself also looks like a copied and pasted image. It'd be much better if you drew it yourself.

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: 1969 - Woodstock and the Summer of 69.

I was hoping this entry would jump up to the fog like Cho's did in a matter of hours, but I guess it can't because it's not a bird or animal. ANOTHER awesome entry that will never get printed. I love it though. It's something that would actually be recognizable as to what the theme is. Not just another well drawn animal. Good luck though. I would def buy 2 should it place.

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
easeandgrace wrote:Here's the awesome Apple computer Superbowl video ad about 1984:

http://www.apple-history.com/movies/1984.mov

Definately had this in mind at some level when I made my shirt ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

AdderXYU

geekfactor12 wrote:Quality and artsy are not synonymous. Other people have complained about animal shirts, cartoon shirts, funny shirts, slogan shirts and nerd shirts. Consider my perspective as someone who likes all those types of shirts, but who wishes that voters had a better eye for the higher quality examples.

Indeed. Even within woot itself, you can see quality differences. "Boston Party" was a clever and slick play on a popular saying, while "Best thing since" not only looked like a mirror image, but used weaker, more awkward wording. "Pockets of Spring" was pretty nondescript and clipart-y compared to Tgent's lush and artistic "Watch it Grow." "Angry Day" not only trumps most designs as simple as it is, but the concept itself is made stronger by the sheer whimsical nature of the admittedly hasty-looking animals.

And to be captain annoying, there are also other sites where they showcase unartistic gimmick shirts. Based on most dailies, I'd say woot isn't that place either.

chugaboy2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chugaboy2
Re: 1977: 2600: A Video Game Odyssey

I'm in for one no matter what.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

Cho, you have mad art skills and a great eye for appeal.

AdderXYU wrote:People frustrated with the same artists winning every week need to reflect on the purpose of the derby. It's purpose is to print the three best shirts, and while it usually falls flat of this goal, the fact is that the people who get printed most often are the ones who bring high quality design with high quality concept.

True, but you're kind of disagreeing with yourself on the purpose. Woot always prints the three best shirts, since they define "better" as having more votes. The Adder or haxrox standard for "better" is reflected in the form of one vote, like everyone else's, and the aggregate is woot's "better".