superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

heatz wrote:Ok, i wish woot for the casual wooters would have a list of nogo's or something..
Im not a wootadict so im foreign to this.

and btw 1980 was pretty boring !

I post a link to one at or near the first post in the derby thread every week.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jamescho84 wrote:
gotcha

At first glance I thought this was going to be a repeat of the last time we saw this image from you. ^_~

...I was trying to figure out what I (or someone in my absence) did wrong, hee.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm

Thanks a lot! I was hoping for more. Maybe next week!

NeedsMoreHobbies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NeedsMoreHobbies

Both Were Mine--- Teehee

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

NeedsMoreHobbies wrote:Both Were Mine--- Teehee

Then stop submitting them. If you keep it up you can get yourself probated/banned.

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

This is what the Human Genome Project government website has for its events in 1988

Reports by congressional OTA and NAS NRC committees recommend concerted genome research program.
HUGO founded by scientists to coordinate efforts internationally.
First annual Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory meeting on human genome mapping and sequencing.
DOE and NIH sign MOU outlining plans for cooperation on genome research.
Telomere (chromosome end) sequence having implications for aging and cancer research is identified at LANL.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/project/timeline.shtml

Since Hugo was created to coordinate efforts and the first meeting about genome mapping was held, I hope this can give some credit to my claim.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
superspryte wrote:A fourth-grader already came up with one.

Heehe... I forgot that Ceres is in the asteriod belt. Thanks for the link. :-)

folkkevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
sundbe10 wrote:
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/project/timeline.shtml

Since Hugo was created to coordinate efforts and the first meeting about genome mapping was held, I hope this can give some credit to my claim.

I really hope this puts to bed all this nonsense about year innaccuracies so that this design can once again be focused upon for what it is, excelent and deserving of its place in the top 4 (should be #1).

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

folkkevi wrote:I really hope this puts to bed all this nonsense about year innaccuracies so that this design can once again be focused upon for what it is, excelent and deserving of its place in the top 4 (should be #1).

Then perhaps I shouldn't point out that dark brown and black have not played well on previous shirts...

folkkevi

superspryte wrote:Then perhaps I shouldn't point out that dark brown and black have not played well on previous shirts...

I could swear you have a vendetta against sunde.. it is odd...
I think the shade of brown over black provide subtly, while the lighter shades combined with the contrasting detail work will give it a sense of space. (And for the matter, yes i do know what I am talking about, I'm a Studio Arts major.)

ATho1100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ATho1100
Re: 1986: The Legend Was Born

Fable your shirts are awesome and its really cool to see others that like gaming lol people in my school are to cool for that i guess but not me, ZELDA OWNS!!!!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
folkkevi wrote:I could swear you have a vendetta against sunde.. it is odd...
I think the shade of brown over black provide subtly, while the lighter shades combined with the contrasting detail work will give it a sense of space. (And for the matter, yes i do know what I am talking about, I'm a Studio Arts major.)

Everyone who has ever had someone make a negative comment about the design they made/liked has presumed said person has a vendetta. I'm sure the mod forums are cluttered with tears every time I make even a mild critique, because people can't take it. Sometimes people just don't like a shirt. Sometimes they shouldn't. It's not because of personal vendettas, as such, but because of either trying to help the artist grow, or sheer bad design. If we got rid of that sort of critique from the derby threads, we'd have an oppressive board where everyone was too scared to say anything at all. Just because you find this comment offensive doesn't mean the poster should be censured for it... if we could censure for any little thing just because people called on it, the atmosphere would be tyrannical. Just because people are offended that people dislike or disagree with this shirt shouldn't mean that there's some sort of vendetta in the works. They're just expressing their opinion, and should be allowed to do so. Anything less would forfeit everyone's right to opinion, including your own, or else reek of hypocrisy.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Hardly a vendetta. Here's an example. Click for larger photos:

As you can see, dark brown and black don't play well, even with the presence of brighter colors. The fact that the black and brown are switched is irrelevant. (I'm an interior designer, a professional, not a student; I understand color too, but I don't think profession is important this time. ^_~)

folkkevi

recchiap wrote:Very nicely done, I really like this design. Sad topic though

The sheen on the oil is great!

Thank you!, I have a morbid sense of humor is suppose, cause that duck was suppose to be depressing/funny, but i think the sad-topic scared people off =P.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

The colors look fine together in the drawing. Spryte is trying to tell you that ON THE SHIRT THAT WOOT USES it may not show up as well. This is a contest to determine what drawing goes on a tshirt, not on a poster for the National Science Foundation. In this case, life experience is just as important as formal education.

Jigsaw13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jigsaw13

As you can see, dark brown and black don't play well, even with the presence of brighter colors. The fact that the black and brown are switched is irrelevant. (I'm an interior designer, a professional, not a student; I understand color too, but I don't think profession is important. ^_~)

The brown on the genome shirt is supposed to be acting as a background, it aids the foreground and is not the main focus. In this design the black on the brown is the main focus so the contrast that gives this shirt its asthetic qualities is lost. If the shirt had been printed on the same color as shown in the design it would have been fine.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: 1982 Born Again Shirt

In 1982 the first artificial heart was installed in a person. This is an ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPH of that heart. The man it was installed in subsequently died. Maybe he couldn't find a place to plug it in!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Jigsaw13 wrote:The brown on the genome shirt is supposed to be acting as a background, it aids the foreground and is not the main focus. In this design the black on the brown is the main focus so the contrast that gives this shirt its asthetic qualities is lost. If the shirt had been printed on the same color as shown in the design it would have been fine.

You're telling me you want a barely visible plastic coating on your shirt? Sweet. What I'm saying is this is going to disappoint many people because it's not going to show up particularly well. What you see on the screen is not what will print because the screen equivalents are lighter than the printed equivalents, which was as much my point as the interaction between dark brown and black.

folkkevi

Jigsaw13 wrote:The brown on the genome shirt is supposed to be acting as a background, it aids the foreground and is not the main focus. In this design the black on the brown is the main focus so the contrast that gives this shirt its asthetic qualities is lost. If the shirt had been printed on the same color as shown in the design it would have been fine.

Honestly, i have to agree with this. The picture posted seemed to suffer primarily from two things. One being that the concept brown wasn't available to be printed on, so the t-shirt field was matched too darkly. Secondly, it sufferes from small detail work that is not present in this design. I appologise if i offended anyone previously, as i was attempting to make a point about the date arguement, not the issue raised about color which is certainly a concern. However, given the size of the shapes, the values used, and the correct use of an official woot-background color, i don't forsee many problems with this design personally.

folkkevi

Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

I meant to mention one more thing. This is a trick I picked up in design courses for printing. Squint your eyes at the design, and you will see a "worse case scenario" of the printing. If you look at the tree design, you can foresee problems, if you look at this one the same does not occur. It looks fine to me.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

folkkevi wrote:Honestly, i have to agree with this. The picture posted seemed to suffer primarily from two things. One being that the concept brown wasn't available to be printed on, so the t-shirt field was matched too darkly. Secondly, it sufferes from small detail work that is not present in this design. I appologise if i offended anyone previously, as i was attempting to make a point about the date arguement, not the issue raised about color which is certainly a concern. However, given the size of the shapes, the values used, and the correct use of an official woot-background color, i don't forsee many problems with this design personally.

The shirt color there is the ONLY brown, so the designer should've known; that's no fault of woot's. Not that that relates to this shirt, but I wanted to point that out.

As for this shirt, many people misunderstand the way colors translate from computer to ink. The brown will be even darker than you see here. I wouldn't be surprised if the darkest one doesn't show at all. My issue isn't really with that, but after reading dozens of complaints from wooters who bought shirts with low contrast (who all said they wished they'd known before they bought) I feel it's my duty to tell everyone that the brown will probably not show up. My issue is with the date. Still is.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: 1979: REDUX

Ya, this is great for so many reasons GMV

folkkevi

superspryte wrote:The shirt color there is the ONLY brown, so the designer should've known; that's no fault of woot's. Not that that relates to this shirt, but I wanted to point that out.

As for this shirt, many people misunderstand the way colors translate from computer to ink. The brown will be even darker than you see here. I wouldn't be surprised if the darkest one doesn't show at all. My issue isn't really with that, but after reading dozens of complaints from wooters who bought shirts with low contrast (who all said they wished they'd known before they bought) I feel it's my duty to tell everyone that the brown will probably not show up. My issue is with the date. Still is.

I also blamed the designer in the case of the tree, not woot, sorry if that was not clear.

But.. How is the date even still an issue, the artist provided a link to HUGO's website (a government website) which directly supports his claim in a variety of ways, so what is your problem with the date exactly...?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

folkkevi wrote:I also blamed the designer in the case of the tree, not woot, sorry if that was not clear.

But.. How is the date even still an issue, the artist provided a link to HUGO's website (a government website) which directly supports his claim in a variety of ways, so what is your problem with the date exactly...?

I disagree with it. I've already said as much. That website (which I think is the one I originally pointed out) says exactly what I said too...so I don't feel the need to reiterate. Bust just in case, Hugo != HGP.

eage8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eage8
Re: 1984: 3.5 inch floppy in 1.4k glory

the 3.5" disk released in 1984 was 720KB later upgraded to 1.44MB...

and Bill Gates was talking about RAM in that statement...

Other than that though, nice shirt : )

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: 1979: Alien the Movie . . .

Hrm, I'm not normally good at "spoofing" something. Anyone have any good ideas that I could have done? The idea of ice cream was just an "out there" idea. ;)

rosebudflowerpower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosebudflowerpower
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

i hope this makes it into the fog. its just so darn cool!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
folkkevi wrote:I meant to mention one more thing. This is a trick I picked up in design courses for printing. Squint your eyes at the design, and you will see a "worse case scenario" of the printing. If you look at the tree design, you can foresee problems, if you look at this one the same does not occur. It looks fine to me.

Yeah, that doesn't work. The only way to accurately judge colors is to compare the actual pantone swatches in an official pantone book (not on screen, that is never going to be accurate). Anything else is just guesswork.

Woot did step in during one instance where the designer picked a color too close to the shirt color to be visible, but the results were decidedly less than ideal.

Generally, the best way to avoid this is to make the colors less subtle. The bigger the color difference, the more likely you are to have a satisfactory print.

lifesource

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifesource
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

nice color, but what is up with those birds-- first with the goose, then, the pinguin and now a duck???

Caligumby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby
superspryte wrote:Really?

Yup, I used to have this one!!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Caligumby wrote:

Yup, I used to have this one!!

I think I had the gray one also (pretty sure...and I think I still do somewhere), but there was definitely an orange one too.

jmseifer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jmseifer

Dude - nice design, and if we ever have a presidential derby, you can resub as "duck cheney"

ppacpau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ppacpau

1984 the year I was born. if i was a gremlin i'd be producing pencils out of my back. The Never ending story is just my type of movie. It stayed with me for such a long time.

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: 1981

Oh my god, this is hilarious.

You've got my vote, I totally want to see the look on my professors' faces when I waltz into class with this on. :D

smittycity42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42

Comon, where gettin closer! Rally your friends and have them subscribe the the buckyball goodness!

ElRicardo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElRicardo
superspryte wrote:That could be it. You may want to create a crisper view from your print ready and post it in here.

I suppose I would bother if there was any real interest in this, which there isn't. I did check and couldn't find any color variation in my original layers except a few green pixels in my black layer, which I thought I had flushed. I usually flush each layer in my print ready by selecting the transparent, inverting the selection and then filling the interior of each layer with it's intended solid color. I did this again to be sure and there is no discernible difference from the original.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

ElRicardo wrote:I suppose I would bother if there was any real interest in this, which there isn't. I did check and couldn't find any color variation in my original layers except a few green pixels in my black layer, which I thought I had flushed. I usually flush each layer in my print ready by selecting the transparent, inverting the selection and then filling the interior of each layer with it's intended solid color. I did this again to be sure and there is no discernible difference from the original.

If you use photoshop you could also use layer effects to overlay a solid color. Much faster. ^_~

TEG522

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TEG522
geekfactor12 wrote:Yeah, that doesn't work. The only way to accurately judge colors is to compare the actual pantone swatches in an official pantone book (not on screen, that is never going to be accurate). Anything else is just guesswork.

Woot did step in during one instance where the designer picked a color too close to the shirt color to be visible, but the results were decidedly less than ideal.

Generally, the best way to avoid this is to make the colors less subtle. The bigger the color difference, the more likely you are to have a satisfactory print.

That designer put way too much detail into the shirt's design. That, plus the fact that the very pale colors were nearly transparent, contributed to the actual shirt's faulty appearance. If you haven't noticed, this shirt has very little intricate detail and only sstrong, solid colors.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
TEG522 wrote:That designer put way too much detail into the shirt's design. That, plus the fact that the very pale colors were nearly transparent, contributed to the actual shirt's faulty appearance. If you haven't noticed, this shirt has very little intricate detail and only sstrong, solid colors.

technically, since the design was entirely based on clip-art, the designer didn't put any detail at all into the shirt's design, but even so, other intricate pieces have printed up quite well (look at the line-art derby, for example).

And people think -I- complain for no good reason.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
TEG522 wrote:That designer put way too much detail into the shirt's design. That, plus the fact that the very pale colors were nearly transparent, contributed to the actual shirt's faulty appearance. If you haven't noticed, this shirt has very little intricate detail and only sstrong, solid colors.

My comment only addressed the color issues in that shirt. I agree that there were many other problems as well, but none of those are related to this discussion.

As that is so far the only case where Woot has changed the pantone colors to improve visibility and other posters mentioned that as a possibility to fix the brown ink issue, I thought it was worth bringing up.

(As I did not vote for and will not buy this shirt, I don't particularly care how it prints. But for those who do care, I think they should have as much information as possible about the printing.)