mjsakura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjsakura
Re: 1973 - Solar eclipse of the decade

Isn't this the cover from a movie?

TEG522

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TEG522
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

In regards to the petty date debate you all are having on this forum, I feel that it is a "chicken v. egg" argument which ultimately goes nowhere. Yes, some will argue that the actual genome project began in 1990. Others will argue that the group who thought up and created the project began in April of 1988. Without the group, there would be no genome project. Actual birth versus conception. You can't have one without the other.

By the way, the hyperbolic comparisons do nothing. They are a little obnoxious and compare apples to oranges. Such as the "I swear Woodstock happened in 84.”

To try and get a t-shirt disqualified on such a minor technicality, and to even bother pointing it out in the first place, is sad. The purpose of the shirt DESIGN competitions is to challenge designers to produce creative and innovative shirts. If anyone wants to buy a shirt - which I'm assuming most on this forum want to do - then why sabotage a really good design?

This week's theme, like all previous week's themes, is just arbitrary. It's only meant to challenge designers to create the best shirts possible, not start arguments better left to historians.

I'm sure the people of Woot are laughing at this argument, finding it silly and rather insignificant. I sure am.

keyser520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: 1979 - First Publication of the Neverending story

has a shirt submitted monday afternoon ever made it into the fog?

TEG522

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TEG522
AdderXYU wrote:technically, since the design was entirely based on clip-art, the designer didn't put any detail at all into the shirt's design, but even so, other intricate pieces have printed up quite well (look at the line-art derby, for example).

And people think -I- complain for no good reason.

It wasn't a complaint, it was a comment.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

keyser520 wrote:has a shirt submitted monday afternoon ever made it into the fog?

Yes.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Foxbat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foxbat
Re: 1970 - Apollo 13

Sweet shirt. I'd wear that with pride!

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl
superspryte wrote:Hardly a vendetta. Here's an example. Click for larger photos:

As you can see, dark brown and black don't play well, even with the presence of brighter colors. The fact that the black and brown are switched is irrelevant. (I'm an interior designer, a professional, not a student; I understand color too, but I don't think profession is important this time. ^_~)

You do know this is the most popular shirt sold on Woot right? ^_^

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

sentnl wrote:You do know this is the most popular shirt sold on Woot right? ^_^

Yes. And a lot of wooters bleach it too. The design was very nice. The printing was not.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

irthesteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irthesteve
Re: 1987

i like the hose

mwm8180

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm8180
eage8 wrote:the 3.5" disk released in 1984 was 720KB later upgraded to 1.44MB...

oh really? didn't know that. been 1.4 for as long as i can remember... hehehe

eage8 wrote: Bill Gates was talking about RAM in that statement...

I know, just added it in there to give a reflection of the mindset at the times. seems these days my 2 gigs isn't even enough RAM.

eage8 wrote:Other than that though, nice shirt : )

thanks ^_^ hope i got your vote.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13172]

Entries have to have a year in the title. I recommend you withdraw this and resubmit with a different title. If you check other entries, you will see that those without years are rejected.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
mjsakura wrote:Isn't this the cover from a movie?

Heheh... I think you're thinking of "The Ring?"

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
highgrassfarm wrote:In 1982 the first artificial heart was installed in a person. This is an ACTUAL PHOTOGRAPH of that heart. The man it was installed in subsequently died. Maybe he couldn't find a place to plug it in!

Bummer. You are going to have to resubmit. Woot doesn't allow actual photos. Thanks for showing it to us anyway.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
ejseader wrote:Indeed. Break dancing was around LONG before 1992.

Hate to burst your bubble, kiddo, but the gentleman is correct.

But, the design is pretty sweet - I'll give you that.

*coughs* GIRL*coughs*

even with my sig being what it is, I'll let it go this time

frantix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix

tabacco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabacco

Now this one I can get behind. Well played, sir.

frantix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix
Re: 1981 - The Year Cars Learned To Fly (re-sub)

I think a ringer type shirt would look good with the reto look of the image.

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
sokowa wrote:Hrm, I'm not normally good at "spoofing" something. Anyone have any good ideas that I could have done? The idea of ice cream was just an "out there" idea. ;)

Actually, I love the whole ice cream thing. Especially since you used the alien's inner mouth to hold it. I once saw an animated spoof that had an alien drinking from a straw using the inner mouth idea. This reminded me of that and I still laughed my ass off. Bravo. I also love your goat T shirt design too. It just seems like a lot of designs are being lost in the middle this week.

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
frantix wrote:Why the resubmit?

no votes : reason...maybe to busy. no one like borders, my brush strokes too thick(way too thick in some places me was thinkin ) maybe why no votes.
anyhow/who, me gottom go to all a new make for me cause how I got no votes.
OK?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

ruthsdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

I love this one, which means it has a 75 percent chance of not being printed.

savevsdm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages savevsdm

I would state that it isn't actually direct game art. I hand crafted that and altered the colors and size. But if you think it's too close, more power to you. Not going to argue but I did want to state that I didn't ripe anything off, I did do it all by hand.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

A drawing tablet! Ahh!

Thank you!

I was using Photoshop Elements. hmm, 6 I think, before my old machine crashed and I was barely able to recover much. Got a new machine, could not find my old disks, so had to re-purchase the (Current) version of PSE. Unfortunately, I am having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to use it - it is very different from the older version thatI was used to

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
sentnl wrote:You do know this is the most popular shirt sold on Woot right? ^_^

You've seen the most popular shirts every derby, right?

Not to say I don't own a cool breeze (I don't think the printing is that much of an issue) but to claim popularity is quality is still, as it has been, foolish. Do I own it? Yes. Is it on my top 10? Not hardly.

eleigh33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eleigh33
Re: 1978 - First Test Tube Baby Was Born

One of my friends was the first test tube baby born in the state of Delaware (82 or 83?) This gets my vote! I'll be sure to get him one if it wins.

classssy...

euphoricstate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages euphoricstate

The definition of nostalgia!

Love it.

Re: 1979 - First Publication of the Neverending story

SydneyB

Ok, Not to specifically support the design - or the opposite, for that matter - but I have seen things here in MUCH poorer taste.

Personally, I would not wear this shirt, but I am sure that there are others who would.

epsonjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epsonjones

Really a beautiful design.

daedalusknight

Re: 1973: Skylab

I realize that this is super-late as an entry, but I really had a tough time getting it to look exactly the way I wanted. Plus I promised someone I'd give a stab at a Skylab design... hope you like it!

From Wikipedia:

"Skylab was the first space station the United States launched into orbit, and the second space station ever visited by a human crew. The 100 ton space station was in Earth's orbit from 1973 to 1979, and it was visited by crews three times in 1973 and 1974. It included a laboratory for studying the effects of micro gravity and an Apollo Telescope Mount solar observatory."

On top of that, though, it was the beginning of my fascination with space and with space travel. We learned all about it in elementary school (the fall after it re-entered the atmosphere) and I was hooked... I begged my parents to take me to the planetarium to learn all about space travel. To this day I've got a special place in my heart for the space station that was launched the same year I was... 1973.

DSwarP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSwarP

Yesssss, Buckyball!

daedalusknight

Detailed view:

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
Re: 1981 - The Year Cars Learned To Fly (re-sub)

want to team up for 1985? errr...we'd need someone from 1985. i think that's the year back to the future came out, and marty's toyota is BADASS.

we could stick both on one shirt, add some flames, and BAM.

twominusone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twominusone
Figit090 wrote:want to team up for 1985? errr...we'd need someone from 1985. i think that's the year back to the future came out, and marty's toyota is BADASS.

we could stick both on one shirt, add some flames, and BAM.

That may be when the movie came out, but the first De Lorean was produced in 1981.

I told her the truth. That you are a brave, and profoundly stupid robot.
<br>
www.DOillustration.com

TAYLORT5

Re: 1963-Bobby Fischer again

61 An d I never voted for it. thats too bad stop waisting your votes on this one click my sig for the new one k.?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

ephobia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephobia
Re: 1984: Duck Hunt {RESUB}

I remember playing the arcade version of this game called "Vs. Duck Hunt" and it was fun! It was really funny when I shot the dog by accident, then it scolded me as it sometimes jumped up in the air while trying to chase the ducks out. Damn you for reminding me of my age! ;_;

TAYLORT5

ephobia wrote:I remember playing the arcade version of this game called "Vs. Duck Hunt" and it was fun! It was really funny when I shot the dog by accident, then it scolded me as it sometimes jumped up in the air while trying to chase the ducks out. Damn you for reminding me of my age! ;_;

yep I remember, 8 ball delux too. gravitar,defender 1 &2,
Crystal Castles If I had all the quarters I waisted man...

You're on probation!

SydneyB

suicidekills wrote:does no one else remember doing this?

I didn't join, although I sure do remember it happening. 22 years ago? Somehow I thought it was longer ago than that. But what do I know? :D

SydneyB

Wow, you've got an Elvis-thing going! heheeh

SydneyB

GMV - just for tenacity :D

koreanjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koreanjeff
Re: 1970 - USSR performs an underground nuclear test

this is simply amazing...the best shirt of all...i reallyy want this shirt.

Kyungjoon Lee