klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: 1969 - Woodstock and the Summer of 69.

Hey! Thanks for the boost overnight. Looks like a lot of voting took place last night.

heatz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatz

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_States_Code/Title_17/Chapter_1/Section_107

Criticism of a Brand is covered by Fair Use

and the equal sign is as stated by the name a SIGN :-p

And if im wrong oh well, Ill get more ideas for the Next Derby!

kpetrasko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpetrasko
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987

I really want one of these shirts. I mean come on, there's eye shadow on an eye socket, brilliant

cmortell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
Re: 1984 - War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery...

Hey I like it, it's kinda literal but I'd still buy one.

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
cadedude wrote:As a Biotechnology grad, I couldn't possibly get away with wearing this on-campus where the real chemists might see me and reveal my ignorance. Myself, I'm hoping for the Human Genome Project shirt to declare victory. That said, there's an unreasonable shortage of geek shirts that aren't about video games or programming, so more power to you for the design.

You've got my vote, on principle alone.

Ahhh they probably wouldn't smoke you out, but they would probably be jealous :D

I agree that there's a a sad lack of science geek shirts...I don't know how many more chemistry shirts I'll make simply because I'm a grad student in some useless field of biology...nevertheless, keep your eyes peeled ;)

cmortell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
fillengroovy wrote:I can assure you, If the badest ass country in the world wanted to take oil, you'd be eating it on your cornflakes in the morning. Grow up!

Because whats more moral than completely destablizing an entire region for the last ninety years. I think you need to take a less bigoted view of the world buddy.

DragonPrez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DragonPrez
Re: 1966 Tee Vee and Music

I like the beatle-monkey-bat-vulcan idea.

phishfan73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phishfan73
nardobolo wrote:The album was released November 30th, 1982, so this still works. And still is awesome! (80's lingo, yo)

If you wanted to use more authentic 80's lingo, you would've said that the shirt is radical....cause it is!

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino

Wear it where? I mean wear it to a dictionary to learn how to spell.

tugnut1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tugnut1
Re: 1973

I would love to have this shirt. I am a big fan of Pink Floyd and any spin the album Dark Side of the Moon is great. Love it, love it. Got to have it, got to have it.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

squidboots wrote:Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P

Don't let any true east coasters hear you call me that. I'm a Midwesterner...they'll have a fit. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Patchitect wrote:What do you mean... sometimes??? i'm a [dirty] old man all the time!

As for the shirt, i didnt want to make something that was blatant, i wanted to make something that was wearable without being controversial...

now if it were only votable....

It's votable. I voted. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jenny78 wrote:That's funny. I sometimes think that too, but seriously, who would have time for that? Any why would someone be afraid to post criticism? What's to be afraid of? It's just a tshirt website. *giggles*.

What are they afraid of? Me! Shirt.woot's friendly little Attack Spryte. ^_~

Not to be confused with our Attack Adder. ^_~ ^_~

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jdrage wrote:Like me, you are probabely looking at this entry because you searched for more recent years out of curiosity. Personally I was astounded that a 10-year-old (even with help from a parent) created and submitted a design. The effort alone should be applauded. Bravo!

While this is indeed far from "encouragement central", I have seen among the pseudo-anonymous trash talk some thoughtful design critique and helpful commentary from the peanut gallery. True that the designer should be able to "take the lumps". Is that out of the question for a 10-year-old? Maybe. But that's the parent's decision and responsibility when approving the entry. Learning to take criticism is arguably a lesson we could all have gone through a little sooner.

The age of the designer alone should not be a reason to shun an entry. Had the theme not given it away, would you have known the age of the submitter? Certainly, a design created by a 10-year-old is unlikely going to be of the same calibre as one created by a designer with 10 years of experience (unless he/she started at birth ). If the design isn't compelling, it won't get votes. But to me, part of the value of a shirt.woot shirt is the story behind it. And this certainly has a noteworthy story.

Now, a couple of notes to the designer. I agree with the person who spoke of colour choices. The contrast is nice and the bold colours work well. Use a vector-based design tool to smooth out those "jaggies", and add a vanishing point for a bit of perspective and I think you've got a winner!

Don't forget about the irrationally rude and lewd comments that come through here frequently. I think Adder's point is this is not a child-safe venue. I do as best as I can but it's not fast enough to eliminate the NSFC aspect.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

trapical wrote:Awesome shirt. However I admit I am a bit irritated. Yes Zelda came out in 1986 but is ANYONE here from Japan? Seriously, none of us played the game until 1987 when I was released in the States. *grumble*

Wouldn't bother me that much but I was born in 1987... ON AUGUST 22, 1987.

/yes THAT August 22, 1987.
//destined to buy this shirt

I'm moving to Japan soon. Does that count?

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
eHalcyon wrote:Once more to the designer - I hope these comments aren't too discouraging, but as Jimiyo has recently pointed out, the woot community is HARSH. ^^

I'd have to guess that mia is not letting her 10-yr-old read these comments. And for most 10-yr-olds, it will be enough to hear "You have XX votes. There are some nice comments! There is also a discussion about whether you should be an adult to post on woot. It's kind of boring, so how about I just read you the stuff about your art?"

sneezingferrets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sneezingferrets
Re: 1964 Johnson Rides The Biggest Landslide Ever.

Not even factually correct.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: 1969- Flight of the Concorde

A late entry. I liked the pattern. Plus, not enough designs from us old timers to balance out all the Nintendo entries.

dmny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmny
Re: 1988

I love it. I hope it wins.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mjc613 wrote:I'd have to guess that mia is not letting her 10-yr-old read these comments. And for most 10-yr-olds, it will be enough to hear "You have XX votes. There are some nice comments! There is also a discussion about whether you should be an adult to post on woot. It's kind of boring, so how about I just read you the stuff about your art?"

My daughter is 12, and had just turned 12 when I helped her with her first entry in the dreams contest. I certainly let her read the comments, though I have to say all the comments she's gotten have been positive. Had there been a derby when she was 10, I don't think I would have been comfortable with allowing her to enter. Frankly, I have little doubt about her ability, and I don't think she would have been at a disadvantage in terms of the sophistication of her designs. I'm just not certain that at ten she would have been able to understand the ability of the haters to pose as thoughtful critics when their only purpose was to provoke upset and to foment meanness.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

voted

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Re: 1948 THE BIRTH OF ROCK AND ROLL, ME, AND OTHER COO

My suggestion is take this shirt to the thread on EBW called Derby#38cyberpub and ask for votes. This way everyone will see it and know about it. It can't hurt. Just maybe woot will notice how good it is and print it even if you don't place.

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
Re: 1984 - War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery...

I would buy this sans the middle image--the question marks will get you DQd. Good concept though.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

omnipotent32

quality posts: 1 Private Messages omnipotent32

Not that I want it to be taken off but wouldn't this image be copyrighted?

Woot!
12/9/07 Viore HDTV Wizard Portable HDTV Tuner
Woot.Shirt!
12/9/07 "Unfriendly Locals" , 2/15/07 "Anatomy Test", "Sliced Bread", "Herd? What Herd?", "The Cake is a Liar", "Swimm Little Nessie!", "Angry Day" and "TAG"

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
AdderXYU wrote:Look, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for daring to criticize a child's entry, but there should not be child's entries in the derby. It's the biggest black eye woot has as a contest... what legit designer would find woot, look at the derby, and consider it worth designing for if they found a shirt designed by a ten year old (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old) in the hotness?

Thanks Adder. Just when I was starting to agree with you on more topics.

I I am an un-original person to see how my daughter entering a design during a "year you were born" derby damages the derby. And as for her response to critiques, I'm screening them, PLUS you were the first one to critique.

I allowed the entry BECAUSE it was a year you were born derby, so her age would be obvious. It is unlikely she will enter again any time soon. She does have a great sense of design and color, she is just limited by tools (no tablet) and age. I don't think that a 10 year old's design in the hotness is more of a problem than an adult copy/pasting a clip-art image.

Thank you for your concern. Unless woot instills an age limit, then there is no reason why she can't enter.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
JadenKale wrote:What I find most interesting here is that I think this is the closest to a woot reference (as well as a year shirt) as woot will let us get close to. Very amusing

woot reference?

Please check it out

mia3mom

jdrage wrote:
Now, a couple of notes to the designer. I agree with the person who spoke of colour choices. The contrast is nice and the bold colours work well. Use a vector-based design tool to smooth out those "jaggies", and add a vanishing point for a bit of perspective and I think you've got a winner!

Thanks! I'll pass this on to her. After some of the above comments, she isn't going to be reading her comments without them being screened.

And as for help, I did very, very little. It was drawn using GIMP on a MacBook, so on a trackpad rather than with a mouse. We're looking at helping her with other design tools, but since it was a year-you-were-born derby, I was fine with her age "showing" in her design.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

It use to fly over the house every morning. It was louder than the regular jets.
Pretty plane. I watched it go over the house on its last flight.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

mia3mom

eHalcyon wrote:

In general, I agree with you Adder. I do think that it's great to encourage young designers, but I'm afraid that running in the derby may engender false hope and pride or devastatingly critical comments.

But to the young designer - keep on working at it!

Thanks eHalcyon. She has no illusions of winning the derby (though she loved being in the hotness! ;) I have been reading the posts here, and was screening the comments for her.

mia3mom

Jewdave wrote:First of all this is an open derby so anyone in the public has the ability to possibly some day have a shirt created from their original art. This design is better than many I have seen posted and I also have no question as to whether or not this is an original piece. While I agree that people should not click on the "I'd Want One" button as encouragement for a 10 year old, I do think that a 10, 98, 30, or even 2 year old has the right to submit an entry if it fits into the rules of the contest. If a person wants to wear a shirt that has a 10 year-olds drawing on it, who are you to say otherwise? If this were T-ShirtDesignersOnly.woot.com I would fully support your cause, but it is not. Frankly, I don't think we'd see many of the wonderfully smart and creative entries we do if it were for designers or artists only. Let the voting public decide what they want to wear... Next are you going to tell us we cannot vote for a politician who has no experience in politics?

thank you very much Jewdave.

I'm having trouble articulating my thoughts, but you said it well. I appreciate your post.

mia3mom

mjc613 wrote:First of all, I LIKE THIS AND WOULD WEAR IT. Many of you may be too young to remember ties with children's drawings on them. The ties were sold as a fundraiser for a charity ( can't remember which one), but they sold because they really looked good, even with a dark suit. I think this would look good on a shirt, but you don't have to agree with me.

Thank you! I appreciate your support of my daughter and your signature! I know Unicef and Save the Children do ties, and I think others do, too.

[user="mjc613"]Second of all, I think it is late enough in the derby that this kind of entry should be fine. I agree that having a "just for fun" or "encouragement vote" shirt get into the hotness on the first day is not a good thing. But by now, the only new entries that get all the way to the top are the really outstanding ones. In fact, it takes a lot to get into the top 100 if you enter at this point. I realize that getting into the hotness at this point takes momentum away from other designs, but in general, that only lasts for about an hour or 2, and then the novelty wears off. This is just my observation, not based on any statistics, sanctioned or otherwise.[/quote]

well said - I wanted her to work on it for a while, so it wasn't entered the first day. And, she wanted to bike ride, play, etc so this wasn't her top focus. In entering in a derby *with her age in the title* I thought it would be a fun thing for her to do. I never expected her to get in the hotness, and once she did we both knew it would wear off soon. She loves watching the votes for the derby, and is quick to point out to anyone who sees our shirt that they are from shirt.woot and the complimenter should go buy one.

[user="mjc613"]If by some fluke this won, I would buy 2. It's exponentially better than anything woot has put in the dailies for weeks, and better than many derby entries, past and present. If I am in the minority for thinking that, so be it.[/quote]

thank you thank you thank you. I'm not sure if I agree with you, but I really appreciate the thought and your support of my daughter.

mia3mom

daedalusknight wrote:Okay, so now I’m going to speak directly to your points about this entry.

Can it be dangerous, emotionally, for a child to enter a derby where adults are competing?

Yes, it most certainly can be.

agreed. hence why I am filtering the comments for her.

As to your other points, if she were a prodigy, I doubt I would have agreed to let her to enter in a "year you were born" derby. Since the year was evident in the date, she entered. She and I have no plans to let her enter weekly, unless she designs something stunning that can work as a stand-alone piece.

If people could only vote for a certain number of entries, i wouldn't have allowed her to enter, either. That just wouldn't be fair. But in this circumstance, I agreed to let her enter.

In general, I agree with much of what Adder posts, and much of what others are saying. I also think that most "legitimate t-shirt designers" would be entering dailies not the Derby, but that's just me. This was entered on a Tuesday and had no chance of breaking 100 much less fogging. I have seen things done by adults that were much less sophisticated. And honestly, if John Glenn weren't in the pic, I don't know if people would've seen it as a kid's drawing. As daedalusknight pointed out, there are a lot of kid-like artists out there, and some of them are surviving reckoning after reckoning.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: 1960 Artificial Heart research

From Wikipedia: "after death, the patient was autopsied, the artificial heart was removed, photographed and tested. The team of scientists and doctors testing the heart determined that death was caused due to lack of an electrical outlet."

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dontwantaname wrote:It use to fly over the house every morning. It was louder than the regular jets.
Pretty plane. I watched it go over the house on its last flight.

I also regret its passing. Was a really beautiful silhouette.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Re: 1948 THE BIRTH OF ROCK AND ROLL, ME, AND OTHER COO

This is a pretty cool design. I had passed over the thumb so I'm glad I finally opened it up. A few comments to give you some things to think about for future designs.
1. thumbnail pics are tricky. It's hard to capture the quality and essence of your design in a small jpg. So when you pimp for votes in the forums, post a larger (400 x400 is good size) pic of your full design. There are many designs I wouldn't have voted for if I hadn't seen the full version in the forums just because i don't open all the thumbs to view them. photobucket is free and a good place to host your design pics.
2. i think you could lose the 'box' around your design without hurting anything. lots of people here don't like boxy designs or sharp corners on their shirts. A look through past shirt designs will show you that nearly all exist free of a boxy outline.
3. there is a lot of cool stuff in this shirt, but you are borderline having too much. also the scrabble tiles are flirting with the rejectorator (they don't always look that closely to see there's no actual text, just be forewarned).
4. simple sells well here. for instance, just the hard body guitar and the music notes could have made a great design.
5. always ask yourself "does this design make any sense without knowledge of the derby theme? can it stand by itself?" and if yes, then you are golden.
6. i believe klswoot also uses elements and she is really nice and friendly so you can probably ask her for pointers.
7. gmv.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: 1960

But it was saturday night
I guess that makes it all right
And you say what have I got to lose?
And honey I say

Little red corvette
Baby you're much too fast
Little red corvette
You need a love thats gonna last

-- but I suppose that song is 80's, isn't it? =p

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
highgrassfarm wrote:This is not a pirate. Everyone knows rats cannot be pirates. After all, who would turn over their booty to a rat? Sometimes rats dress as pirates....really!

You're absolutely right! A rat cannot be a pirate.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
daedalusknight wrote:

Let's not forget that lukekim91 placed in the derby back in September with Decomposition, one of the best-selling shirts on Woot. He was 15 or 16, obviously better able to handle the comments on here but I'm just saying the derby is open to all ages, and all ages have the right to enter. Obviously parents should monitor their kids' computer usage no matter what site they are on, but I don't think Woot needs to step in and enforce a minimum age. Talent is talent, and you can do with your vote as you wish.

mia3mom

superspryte wrote:Don't forget about the irrationally rude and lewd comments that come through here frequently. I think Adder's point is this is not a child-safe venue. I do as best as I can but it's not fast enough to eliminate the NSFC aspect.

agreed. We only look at the site together, and I keep an eye on what comments they read and which ones they don't. I have sensitive kids, so they're used to me screening stuff.

mia3mom

very cool design. I'm glad i clicked on the thumbnail - almost an argyle feel to it, only cooler and with planes. gmv