phinxae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phinxae
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...

Also, this shirt is flippin sweet. Although I am also rooting for the HGP one. But this one has a very original concept, which I very much appreciate.

And last but not least, Michigan is so not east coast. I'm from mass. and going to UIllinois, and my sister's at UMich. so I know a little about the difference. Let's just leave it at Michigan=midwest. Illinois = midwest. mass. = not midwest. michigan = not east coast. that's not to judge the merits of either... long will I miss steak n shake when I return...

wannamaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wannamaker
Re: 1966 Tee Vee and Music
Entertainment news: The Monkees, Batman, and Star Trek debuted in 1966. The Beatles played their last concert before concentrating on studio work - the famous, "more popular than Jesus" line was uttered.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: 1973: Skylab

VERY nice! I loved SkyLab...

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
phinxae wrote:I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...

As a professional programmer, I take offense to that.

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell
Re: Happy Birthday Smiley

1963: Birth of the Smiley wiki it!

richpowell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richpowell

Mylar balloon says "birthday" and the little "spermatazoa-y" shape has the whole "birth" thing going for it too!

SkekTek

mia3mom wrote:very cool design. I'm glad i clicked on the thumbnail - almost an argyle feel to it, only cooler and with planes. gmv

I was originally going to do exactly that. But after trying several layouts, it was a lot more visually interesting to just have the planes cross along the top of the shirt. PLUS, if you have a habit of cutting a notch down from the center of the neckline to make it more comfortable (like several of my friends), the design looks EVEN COOLER!

SkekTek

Re: 1982: Thriller

I see you're making a late push! It'll be interesting to see who ends up being 4th/5th in this contest!

DigitalDonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DigitalDonkey

Bad news

Reject because you didnt put the year in the title.

Sorry

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
residentgrey wrote:Try to make one for a SID chip you will have guaranteed win!!!

I'll work on 6581 SID for some other derby

bluchez

Re: 1998 - The moon

Comments:

- This design looks very childlike and nothing like what I would assume anyone that is not currently a child or currently with their children would wear. That said, there is an audience for it, I understand, but woot's audience isn't that one.
- This design has many other problems, that many critics would be happy to critique if not for the overall childlike and MS Paint appearance of the design.
- Make sure that your resulting design is not rectangular or boxy in shape. It does not work well for tshirt designs The fabric is flexible and will flex around the shape of the body, so the designer needs to consider that.
- Make sure that all of your design elements fit into your design area. Leaving a portion of the satellite off the design area with the flat chopped edge make it look very rushed, and that not a lot of thought was put into the design.
- The four "exclamation points" on the design would be argued as being text if not for the overall lack of effort that it appears was put into the design. I do not know their purpose, perhaps "shooting stars", but that is a guess since they look much more like punctuation marks to me.
- The bright orange of the satellite makes it look more organic then man made. The contrast with the gray solar arrays makes it look like a very odd and unrealistic item.
- The lunar surface jaggedness should be smoothed out into an arc, and then crater details should be added.
- The floating crater (?) really detracts from the separation of moon from space.
- The coloring of the moon black and space black really do prevent the visual separation. The surface of the moon should not be the same color as dead space.
- The astronaut's suit is extremely lumpy. I realize that skek's entry may have made you think that all space suits are made of lumps, but taking some time to clean up the lines of the arms and legs would help much. The gloves being different sizes, as well as larger then the boots, make the figure very odd proprortionally. The one round side one flat side of the body is also very noticable and makes it look rushed and childlike.
- Overall, I disagree that the color choice was appropriate or makes a good tshirt altogether. The orange doesn't fit at all, in my opinion. The blue used should be of a lighter shade to not look so out of place on the moon, and would fit more since it was frozen water.

The fact that something like this has more votes then other shirts, specifically, just looking beneath it: Save the Whales, Sprinkbok, Jarvic, Bobby Fischer, and Walkman (each of which took a great deal of time and effort) makes it very discouraging for artists to spend any time or effort working on, much less spending the time to perfect, their pieces. I think that each voter who causes this to happen is encouraging sloppy, childlike, and quickly thrown together pieces to be entered into the derby. It is very discouraging for the AMATEURS that try to perfect their designs each week entering the derby. The argument "this is too late to matter" is a horrible straw to grasp at, because it is not a fear of this getting printed, it is a fear that the people currently putting forth effort will stop putting in the same level of effort, and something like this will be printed in the future.

wesnwana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wesnwana
Re: 1996 summer olympics atlanta

aww too bad huh?

voskovle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voskovle
Re: 1988, The Human Genome Project

This is the best shirt on woot right now. Unless somebody wants to wear a nerdy video game shirt and look like a loser. Not only was the design carefully thought out but is also executed extremely well. People need to stop looking at every square millimeter of the shirt and criticize minor details. Also, who gives a carp when the event "officially started." This is a competition based on design, not historical accuracy. It doesn't have the date written on it. I'd buy 5 if I could. Great job.

rres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: 1964 Johnson Rides The Biggest Landslide Ever.

Must be nice to think you know more than Wikipedia and Brittanica:

Johnson won by a sweeping landslide. Johnson won the presidency with 61 percent of the vote and the then-widest popular margin in the 20th century — more than 15 million votes

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-214021/Lyndon-B-Johnson

The shirt depicts 1964, not today.

You are wrong.

wesnwana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wesnwana
Re: 1979 - First Publication of the Neverending story

This is still one of my Favorite books and the movie rocks too! Great Design I love it!!!

bluchez

skaght wrote:Well, thank you. Apparently Nintendo > Atari to most wooters. So it goes.

While I was growing up, the only console game in my house was the 2600. My parents were afraid of television burn-in (or so they said), so we never did get another console. When I would go over to friends houses while growing up, I was always so excited to play their high tech NES. These two memories make me love all things NES and Atari (with slight edge to Atari). I have a working NES, 2600, and an Atari Flashback 2.

egsaba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egsaba

I, for one, would love a totally "crappy" design like one to be sold. I think it would be great to wear a shirt designed by someone without sophisticated design skills. For instance, my favorite derby entry is this one: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=1266 , which I would love to be able to buy, as long as the picture and text both made it onto the shirt. I want amateur designs!

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
Re: 1960 Artificial Heart research

This is interesting, later on in the same article "...after testing, a group of researchers met at a 3 day symposium. The conclusion they came to was maybe battery power would be better in artificial heart applications".

bluchez

Re: 1979

I just read this, thought it was interesting.

U.S. President Jimiyo Carter had a recorded message onboard Voyager I. The message is as follows:

Jimmy Carter wrote:We cast this message into the cosmos.... Of the 200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, some — perhaps many — may have inhabited planet and space faring civilizations. If one such civilization intercepts Voyager and can understand these recorded contents, here is our message: We are trying to survive our time so we may live into yours. We hope some day, having solved the problems we face, to join a community of galactic civilizations. This record represents our hope and our determination and our goodwill in a vast and awesome universe.

I feel similarly with every "design" I make. I cast this shirt design into the cosmos, hoping someone will see it, and hoping that it can someday join the community of shirts that woot has printed (or maybe just a top 20 finish).

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

There are many reasons why I might vote for a shirt. Age generally isn't one of them. In this case, despite all the obvious design flaws I voted because John Glenn is my hero, and I love space designs (I voted for almost all of them this derby). So she was briefly in the hotness, so what? Who are you people to say what is deserving of being printed and what isn't? This site is as close as we'll get to a perfect democracy in tee shirts, and as we should all know by now, democracy isn't perfect. With more than 30 derbies to date, I think we can safely say that vitriolic bashing hasn't had the desired effect of limiting the derby to 'good' designs. So maybe we should try something different now? Maybe offering thoughtful and polite suggestions would improve the overall quality of submitted designs? In any case, props to mia's kid for even entering, and for doing her own art, and for picking such an awesome vote worthy subject.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

kindalikeyeah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kindalikeyeah
eHalcyon wrote:If you can easily draw this picture, you are definitely artistic.

But please, show us an example of your work.

How about no?

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
bluchez wrote:I feel similarly with every "design" I make. I cast this shirt design into the cosmos, hoping someone will see it, and hoping that it can someday join the community of shirts that woot has printed (or maybe just a top 20 finish).

And consider the odds of getting your woot shirt printed vs. that of the message actually raching an intelligent lifeform in the vastness of space... well, they are about the same...

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

bluchez

m2mla2 wrote:My mom let me buy the Koi shirt that she has too, and now I can vote for myself!

And for other people, too.

And what is a 9-10 year old doing with a credit card? ;)

AttilaTheMom

Re: 1979 - Rock Killed Disco

The more I look at this the more I like this guitar. If you were to rework this for submission at threadless or somewhere I'd suggest making the guitar smaller, and the disco ball bigger and more shiny. Right now it's a little too big, but has such a great expression I don't care.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Jewdave wrote:And consider the odds of getting your woot shirt printed vs. that of the message actually raching an intelligent lifeform in the vastness of space... well, they are about the same...

or less...

AttilaTheMom

bluchez wrote:And what is a 9-10 year old doing with a credit card? ;)

at least she has good taste in shirts. koi is awesome.

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
starryeyedsky wrote:Probably, he sues for many things. Seriously, you don't want to cross him.

But he hasn't gone after these guys yet yet!!!! ;P

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Re: 1984 - War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery...

I live next to an Air Force base and I would absolutely wear this shirt just to hack off the flyboys who think they're dawg's gift to the world, but the text makes it a good candidate for the Rejectinator. Darn it!

Jewdave

sokowa wrote:ya, keeping this one to a 1979 theme was difficult. I wanted to go in so many directions with it. (I'm sure fishie will make a return showing someday).

Yeah! Put him in a bowl next to a window overlooking the ocean... Priceless...

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

squidboots

quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
phinxae wrote:I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...

TOTALLY 100% TRUE

Also, this shirt is flippin sweet. Although I am also rooting for the HGP one. But this one has a very original concept, which I very much appreciate.

Thanks!! I'm hoping that the next derby will be just as inspiring...and I hope that people see how well this shirt did and kind of follow the lead and put up some more science geekery! C'mon, I want to see some physics love shirts out there.

And last but not least, Michigan is so not east coast. I'm from mass. and going to UIllinois, and my sister's at UMich. so I know a little about the difference. Let's just leave it at Michigan=midwest. Illinois = midwest. mass. = not midwest. michigan = not east coast. that's not to judge the merits of either... long will I miss steak n shake when I return...

Hahahaha, word. Sorry folks, but I grew up in Washington DC and I'm currently in the frozen wastes of upstate NY at Cornell. You don't get much more east coast than that (probably not a good thing! :P). I definitely think that's why I have never heard it called anything other than o-chem.

treychel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treychel
AdderXYU wrote:Look, I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for daring to criticize a child's entry, but there should not be child's entries in the derby. It's the biggest black eye woot has as a contest... what legit designer would find woot, look at the derby, and consider it worth designing for if they found a shirt designed by a ten year old (which looks like it was designed by a ten year old) in the hotness? What does it say about the voters reliability if a kid's entry looks does well enough to be legitimately included over at Best Losers? What does a parent say when their ten year old kid starts getting the sort of critiques that wooters tend to give, and comes running over crying? For all the silly censors, for all the designs people insist are for babies, this is not a kids' site, and it certainly isn't a kids' design site. Which is to say nothing of the 40-something people not related to the kid who voted for it. This isn't "encourage people central." This is a shirt contest. You think you're making a kid feel good, but all you're really doing is making a strong case against your competence to be allowed to choose printable shirts.

So, you are concerned about a kid crying because their shirt received some criticism? Shouldn't you be concerned about your comment making this kid cry when they read it or have mom explain it to them? I think it is a good thing that this is in the derby. At least it will teach them a valuable lesson about being a good sport about losing and criticism people can give. Just my opinion.... and for the record, I like it and voted.

highgrassfarm

"....several months later after monumental design changes it was decided that a 12 volt automobile battery would be best for optimum run time before death. When approached about providing these batteries, all major battery manufaturers responded HAYLL NO..."

Jewdave

highgrassfarm wrote:"....several months later after monumental design changes it was decided that a 12 volt automobile battery would be best for optimum run time before death. When approached about providing these batteries, all major battery manufaturers responded HAYLL NO..."

Unfortunately hampster power was never considered...

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

highgrassfarm

"...finally seeing an opportunity for more profit, ignoring the liability aspects. Walmart decided to provide the necessary battery. Overestimating the appeal of an artificial heart and not considering the fact that an automobile battery would need to be lugged around by anyone with a heart installed. Wal Mart ordered several hunderd thousand of these batteries from their sweatshop.....errr...factory in China. These same batteries may be purchased at Wal Mart today...."

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
mjc613 wrote:First of all, I LIKE THIS AND WOULD WEAR IT. Many of you may be too young to remember ties with children's drawings on them. The ties were sold as a fundraiser for a charity ( can't remember which one), but they sold because they really looked good, even with a dark suit. I think this would look good on a shirt, but you don't have to agree with me.

Second of all, I think it is late enough in the derby that this kind of entry should be fine. I agree that having a "just for fun" or "encouragement vote" shirt get into the hotness on the first day is not a good thing. But by now, the only new entries that get all the way to the top are the really outstanding ones. In fact, it takes a lot to get into the top 100 if you enter at this point. I realize that getting into the hotness at this point takes momentum away from other designs, but in general, that only lasts for about an hour or 2, and then the novelty wears off. This is just my observation, not based on any statistics, sanctioned or otherwise.

If by some fluke this won, I would buy 2. It's exponentially better than anything woot has put in the dailies for weeks, and better than many derby entries, past and present. If I am in the minority for thinking that, so be it.

Of course you like it, AND would wear it. It was drawn by your kid. If that's the case, have her draw on a tshirt and proudly wear it. I have kids myself, and I am proud of everything they draw for me, but I wouldn't push their art on anyone who isn't a close to my them. I remember those ties drawn by children, but what you are leaving out is that they were drawn for charity. People who bought them were donating to a charity. This isn't charity woot.com. This is a contest with a payout if you win, and I must say, if I spent anytime at all on an entry and I saw that this entry was ahead of mine in the polls, I would be VERY discouraged. I know this is your kids art, and you, of course, love your child, but this entry would have gotten rejected if she hadn't posted that she was 10 years old. For the exclamation point shooting stars alone. I've seen extremely well drawn shirts rejected for much less. The fact that this has any votes beyond the kid's vote and her mom's vote is insane. The fact that it has 60 votes is just ridiculous. And saying this shirt is better than the dailys is REALLY, REALLY insulting to the artists who have daily shirts printed, and really just false.

Jewdave

highgrassfarm wrote:"...finally seeing an opportunity for more profit, ignoring the liability aspects. Walmart decided to provide the necessary battery. Overestimating the appeal of an artificial heart and not considering the fact that an automobile battery would need to be lugged around by anyone with a heart installed. Wal Mart ordered several hunderd thousand of these batteries from their sweatshop.....errr...factory in China. These same batteries may be purchased at Wal Mart today...."

"...Had it only been 4/1/2008 Woot would have provided all the necessary batteries and many transplantees might still be alive today..."

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

BanderMort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BanderMort

To me this shirt is unwearable, sorry kid.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Jewdave wrote:
"...Had it only been 4/1/2008 Woot would have provided all the necessary batteries and many transplantees might still be alive today..."

Hahahaha! I've seen enough of those things for one lifetime. @_@ Is a Bandoleer of Carrots next? Do W ant! =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

bluchez

Jewdave wrote:

They considered this, but the battery pack only had a 2 prong plug.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
jenny78 wrote:Of course you like it, AND would wear it. It was drawn by your kid. If that's the case, have her draw on a tshirt and proudly wear it. I have kids myself, and I am proud of everything they draw for me, but I wouldn't push their art on anyone who isn't a close to my them. I remember those ties drawn by children, but what you are leaving out is that they were drawn for charity. People who bought them were donating to a charity. This isn't charity woot.com. This is a contest with a payout if you win, and I must say, if I spent anytime at all on an entry and I saw that this entry was ahead of mine in the polls, I would be VERY discouraged. I know this is your kids art, and you, of course, love your child, but this entry would have gotten rejected if she hadn't posted that she was 10 years old. For the exclamation point shooting stars alone. I've seen extremely well drawn shirts rejected for much less. The fact that this has any votes beyond the kid's vote and her mom's vote is insane. The fact that it has 60 votes is just ridiculous. And saying this shirt is better than the dailys is REALLY, REALLY insulting to the artists who have daily shirts printed, and really just false.

mia3mom is this kid's mom, not mjc613.. unless that is an alternate account