SamoaJoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
Re: The First Cow Tipper

Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

cadedude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadedude

This fish appears to be having a pretty excellent time, which is a sentiment I can get behind. Good luck.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

wildwolf11 wrote:Hmm... As my first serious derby entry, I seem to have botched the display graphic. Does anyone know if it's possible to edit one's derby entry, or is it stuck looking like chaos on the derby page?

No editing, just removing (only within 24 hours of posting) and resubbing.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SamoaJoe wrote:Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.

Except that it would give you what you want. I've noticed woot ignores entries when people *demand* they be rejected, or else.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Seiselfreshnic87 wrote:sorry, but not as good as your last one.
the duck hunt shirt was pure genius.

It's making a quick run to the top though. Minutes away from breaking into the fog i think.

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
QuigglyPhD wrote:I agree. I think this is a bs call. Especially since it took forever to draw and finish (ie. no tracing whatsoever). I changed the character's appearance and movements but that apparently isn't enough for parody/appreciation. I'm a little disappointed with the Woot staff on this one.

Maybe it would make it with a different music source? Though probably best to ask what criteria they used to deem this too similar. =/

SamoaJoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
superspryte wrote:Except that it would give you what you want. I've noticed woot ignores entries when people *demand* they be rejected, or else.

I didn't "demand" anything, I'm simply stating an observation.

People have said for a long time now that this site, and many of its most hardcore supporters, have a bias towards Cho. I firmly believe that if this similarity had come up for anyone else it would be immediate grounds for a rejection, but for Cho people are chalking it up as "just a coincidence" and "because it's Cho we'll let it slide".

Want further proof of the bias? Where's Adder and his voting elites who search out designs in the Derby that have this exact type of similarity. They're eerily silent about this comparison.

What's the purpose of Woot having rules or rejection policies if they're only going to enforce them on certain contestants?

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

daedalusknight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daedalusknight
mouser882 wrote:Put it on something that isn't black or brown. Maybe royal blue to match the background swoop and look like sky? Especially with a darker colored bird, I think it might look neat with the swoop as a lighter color?

Okay... thanks for your suggestion.... let me see...

Hmmmmm... it doesn't seem to work with a lighter background... the silhouettes are not as powerful and the bird's not all that dark, so by making the "swoop" lighter I really start to lose the bird as the central image.

You're right that brown is defintiely not the best choice... Just tried that and it's no good. Can't use the grey this derby... I think I might be best off with the black.

Anyone else agree with mouser? Or is high contrast the way to go?

wooterer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooterer
Re: Rocket Rodeo

I like it. A lot

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SamoaJoe wrote:I didn't "demand" anything, I'm simply stating an observation.

People have said for a long time now that this site, and many of its most hardcore supporters, have a bias towards Cho. I firmly believe that if this similarity had come up for anyone else it would be immediate grounds for a rejection, but for Cho people are chalking it up as "just a coincidence" and "because it's Cho we'll let it slide".

Want further proof of the bias? Where's Adder and his voting elites who search out designs in the Derby that have this exact type of similarity. They're eerily silent about this comparison.

What's the purpose of Woot having rules or rejection policies if they're only going to inforce them on certain contestants?

Adder might be asleep now.

jbedwar1

Re: Super Turtle

Thanks to everyone who has voted. You make the turtle very happy.

jbedwar1

Re: Bike Race

Excite bike!

ommers74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ommers74

This is my first entry in one of these competitions. I spent all bloody day trying to figure out how to make my drawing into an acceptable design - I'm a painter, not a designer or illustrator and I can barely find my way around photoshop, let alone actually make something cool.
Anyway, it was a learning process. I'm guessing most people have a portfolio of designs already done that they simply adapt to the theme? Otherwise, how the hell did so many people post their designs within hours?
It's now 8:30pm and my back hurts from 10 hours of being at this damn computer.
Next week I will submit a design in under 6 hours, and I'll make it look all flashy like everyone else's. And I'll stop grumbling. No-one likes a grumbler.

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64

awesome... but placement might be the worst placement in the history of shirt design... might... not to be mean or anything. resub with it in the center and I (and what it seems most wooters) would like better. please resub.

skaght

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skaght
Re: Don Quixote rides on

Don Quixote rides his faithful horse, Rocinante, prepared to slay the mighty giant!

LeetRantipole

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LeetRantipole

There's one thing I don't like about it: It looks like the orbs aren't centered up properly on the bar, because you've got the bar centered with respect to the orbs as they are in the illustration, not as they would be if they actually motionless. Do you follow what I mean?

The other shirt on this idea gets that aspect right; the ball that's out there is swinging outside the fixture. The perspective offered by the other design is nice, too. However, the emotions on this one are much better, and just downright hilarious! It gets my vote over the other design, but this fixture positioning issue still irks me.

Sachmoe64

Re: Pirate Drag Race

please resub again, but in a good location (maybe slightly of center on the chest). its too nice a design to waste with the placement.

daedalusknight

ommers74 wrote:This is my first entry in one of these competitions. I spent all bloody day trying to figure out how to make my drawing into an acceptable design - I'm a painter, not a designer or illustrator and I can barely find my way around photoshop, let alone actually make something cool.
Anyway, it was a learning process. I'm guessing most people have a portfolio of designs already done that they simply adapt to the theme? Otherwise, how the hell did so many people post their designs within hours?
It's now 8:30pm and my back hurts from 10 hours of being at this damn computer.
Next week I will submit a design in under 6 hours, and I'll make it look all flashy like everyone else's. And I'll stop grumbling. No-one likes a grumbler.

I feel your pain. But I really did just sit down and design this shirt in the 24 hours since the topic was announced. That meant I had to rush a bit, and I'd obviously do better if I had more time to work (hence my re-working the image and upcoming resubmission). It's a tough choice, between spending more time designing and letting votes slip by while you do so.

lilwerewolfgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilwerewolfgirl
Re: The Occasional Stretch

Ovulating? My Goodness! XD this one is so awesome. great job! love the expression

lilwerewolfgirl

Re: Super Turtle

so thats how the tortoise won the race D< knew there was a catch there somewhere!

awesome job XD

lilwerewolfgirl

Re: Perpetual Emotion

...i love the one on the lefts face XD :S!!!!

waacodemon

quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: Weeee

i'd wear it

I once ate a cricket.

binarygeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binarygeek
Re: Lamborghini Gallardo

Ok, I'll explain what I did for this image.

In response to mjl9320, yes, this was hand traced from a picture.

In response to superspryte, yes, it was vectorized. I originally traced it in raster format at only 1024x768 so it looked kind of choppy. I put it through a vectorizer so I could scale it nicely. And that answers JadenKale as well...

jbedwar1

lilwerewolfgirl wrote:so thats how the tortoise won the race D< knew there was a catch there somewhere!

awesome job XD

hahah ... i shoulda had the hare running down on the ground. Didn't even think about that.

CuterThanYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CuterThanYou
Re: FIRE!

Not a huge fan of the creme, but I absolutely love the scene on the shirt. (thus, I'd probably tolerate the creme for the image!) The expressions, the capture of the 'motion', the positioning... all very nicely done. Good luck, and you've got my vote!

Sachmoe64

WAY BETTER!!!!

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

ROYAL RAINBOW GO!

jbedwar1

Re: Pop!

*giggles* ... not at all what i expected

jenny78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: The First Cow Tipper

Does Cho design for any other sites? I haven't noticed anything by him at DBH. Is there anywhere else he submits his stuff to? Or does he have his own site?

outlawmoogle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages outlawmoogle
Re: Marching by.

People actually like this?

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
daedalusknight wrote:I love the idea. Great concept. But some naughty kid in me, deep down inside, wants the image rotated about 90 degress so that the swing's throwing her upwards. :-)

Or maybe that's just how my siblings and I did it when we were kids. :-)

thanks!

Now I want to go back in and try doing that... It always looked so much higher when we were kids, didn't it? Kids these days and those "safe" playgrounds with swings that don't go as high...

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

daedalusknight

mia3mom wrote:thanks!

Now I want to go back in and try doing that... It always looked so much higher when we were kids, didn't it? Kids these days and those "safe" playgrounds with swings that don't go as high...

Heheh... I don't know... my siblings and I were pretty good at disposing of "safety features." :-)

Be careful if you resub, though. I see another shirt with a swing in it... make sure they're different enough looking (which shouldn't be a problem).

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Before He Wrote The Raven, He Rode The bull

HAhahaha. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd ever see E. A. Poe riding a mechanical bull, but here I stand. Gets my vote for the sheer weirdness factor.

Sachmoe64

Much better! I like this a lot better! GMV

blazineagle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blazineagle
Re: Perpetual Emotion

dude, this is amazing! genius!

skhouse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skhouse
Re: Whirled Peas

Oh I love this one! Subtle! Contemplate whirled peas. Hehehehehehe....

Sandra House
skhouse@gmail.com
"Life is only as long as you live it."

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311
Re: Bowel Movement

I would have voted on this and bought one. Yes, it's poop, but the little dog actually looks like my Yorkie, and this shirt design is a daily occurance in my life.

CuterThanYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CuterThanYou
Re: Mouse and Cat

The design on the shirt definitely catches my eye, and I love following the string along to see what happens to the mice. Very cute entry, Chibizoo, and good luck!

blazineagle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blazineagle
Re: Evolution Of Rock

props to you man, got my vote!

ScrambledCake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScrambledCake

Thats disgusting. I love it.