artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
cheapojoe wrote:True, Motion = Wii Remote. But I can't see Nintendo allowing the third party sale of t-shirts with their patented technology on them. Even though I'd like one, I'm expecting a rejection. Still, props on the design.

Thanks, cheapojoe!

artulo

CAMMS wrote:Sorry to see this out of the fog. Looks like I will be saving some money this weekend. :-( My daughter and son LOVE this shirt, too.

You don't like the olive one? It'll print much better than the brown. The AA olive is a nice green.

artulo

Re: Yellow Semi-Circle being chased by Red Umbrella

Trying to lure the rejector out of slumber?

artulo

Re: Blinded

This is a really tight design, great work and GMV! Liked it in the greed derby as well.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

phunkygrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phunkygrl

This is a symbol for String Cheese Incident.

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Re: Hummingbird

great idea, and I like the placement... you didn't feel like you had to make it overly large like some people do.
I wondered if anyone would do a hummingbird. in my mind it would've had a blurr of the wings, but yours is very nice!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

mjc613

Lighter wrote:Asphalt is the no no this week.

Apologies. I need to stop posting in my sleep.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
artulo wrote:Trying to lure the rejector out of slumber?

At some point today, the Kraken will wake...

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
Re: Hummingbird

Nice job; I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

mjc613

crayzass1 wrote:let me explain... ever had that experience where you are walking along and come upon a person directly on the same path as you heading in the opposite direction? Instead of going around each other quickly you both awkwardly quick step from side to side until both of you are nearly face to face, finally spinning around each other as if it was choreographed. This shirt quickly lets any advancing pedestrian know which direction you will be taking.

I really like this explanation. I can't wear this shirt to work, but I will consider it for people who do this often.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
smileyattack wrote:the smiley one on the right makes me very happy and fits my user name quite well... I love the faces and the color! :D

ha! you're right. Go Go Smileyattack!

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut
Re: Thriller Dance

My 7yo loves the Thriller dance, thans to You Tube and that goofy vitamin water commercial. I'd buy one for her.

sailstud25

Re: Sail Away with Me

gah! this is awesome... just a serene daysail on the bay or wherever :-D (obviously gmv!)
I've been slowly working on a boat one, but it's a trimaran with some wicked wake behind it from it's speed, oh and a wakeboarder (yes, it's actually been done in real life!)
anyway, working on my 7 year-old laptop is not helping my gaining experience... but hope to enter eventually this week just to finally get one under my belt!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!

mjc613

sailstud25 wrote:gah! this is awesome... just a serene daysail on the bay or wherever :-D (obviously gmv!)
I've been slowly working on a boat one, but it's a trimaran with some wicked wake behind it from it's speed, oh and a wakeboarder (yes, it's actually been done in real life!)
anyway, working on my 7 year-old laptop is not helping my gaining experience... but hope to enter eventually this week just to finally get one under my belt!

It's hard not to like kls's work.
Looking forward to see what you submit. Good luck!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
metanoia29 wrote:My name seems to proceed me. Intriguing.

Yeah, l ol! I especially love the one on Wikihow where your name pops up in the results of, doing something...really wrong to children. l ol! =D Poor you. =(

metanoia29 wrote:Normally I would be trilled to upload a design. However, there are many factors that affect the reason I have not. 1. I am too damn drunk right now. 2. There is too much damn 3D modeling homework to be done. 3. I forget, but it was a really damn good one. Probably had something to do with getting married in a month.

:p

Well, seeing as you've never uploaded a design; EVER. (According to shirt derby stats) I'm not buying the excuses. I don't buy that you've been drunk/modeling/getting married every day since July 07. =D Good try, though.. I especially loved when you tried to claim being drunk and then tried to be witty with #3.. go make some more anime music videos... your fanboy friends will be happy, I'm sure =)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
gvw47 wrote:Me as well...tg, your designs are creative and well done. I thought it would stay in the fog. Maybe if you were CHOgentry? My sadness.

If Cho submitted this it would be fogged right now. Cho's monopoly of the Derbies has gotten ridiculous.

This deserves to be printed, as did the last couple of TGentry's work.

It's a shame how this place works.

KenSPT

Re: Treacherous Waters v.2

It's a beautiful shirt, no doubt, but Cho's monopoly of the Derbies has gotten a little ludicrous ...

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Sail Away with Me

mjc613 wrote:It's hard not to like kls's work.

sailstud25 wrote:gah! this is awesome... just a serene daysail on the bay or wherever :-D (obviously gmv!)

Webfoot08 wrote:I would definitely wear this shirt. Great colors, and the artwork is wonderful, of course. (I did vote for it under my other name - they still haven't switched me to this one.)

pstan wrote:I put my 16' Hobie in the lake this past weekend. Just need the water to warm up now.

Very cool shirt. If it was a Hobie Cat then I would vote for it (I have too many sailing shirts already though).

Thanks for the comments everybody. This entry was made for you sailstud! Looking forward to seeing your entry.

MJC- Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate it!

Webfoot - I know someone else asked woot to combine accounts. I think it was Josephus. Don't know if it was a big hassle, or if it was done right away. In any event, I appreciate your vote under your other name.

PStan - Which Lake? Are you sailing on Lake Erie? If so, be sure to stop by Kelleys Island. You'll love it!

sailstud25

kylemittskus wrote:This didn't get printed in "Water"?

bluchez wrote:4th place, IIRC

I honestly thought woot didn't appreciate resubs from previous derbies... yes, people liked this shirt; unfortunately just not quite enough. it had its chance, and if woot staff liked it, you would probably have its chance again in another second chance derby or whatever. I'm sorry, but I just don't appreciate when an obviously talented artist does so well while seemingly unhappy with only one design in the fog and throwing up another popular piece they've already done. Thank goodness he submitted the third one (actually awesome, cho quality shirt), or I'd think he just took this week easy. If he were to sweep the top three of this derby it'd be rediculous!

kjmendoza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjmendoza
Re: Car View (resub 6 colors now)

I love this shirt, the idea and the execution. I hope you climb the vote ladder!

www.quilt-scrap.blogspot.com

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:Are you sure the context is the same? I don't know about your college, but as I understand it, the problem with resubmitting your work is getting credit for it twice. i.e. if I had to write a paper for, say, a history class (unlikely given that I'm in Engineering) and handed it in for a grade, I could not hand it into another class to try to get a mark for it. That's just being lazy and trying to do half the work.

In that context, I would not call this plagiarism of oneself. =P

I did that twice in college. One paper was an art critique...although I only turned it in once; the "first draft" was actually a paper I wrote for my boyfriend at the time (I owed him for some help he'd given me). The second was my thesis paper, which normally is done in a class. I used a final paper from a different class for it. That paper was 19 pages when the thesis was only supposed to be around 10. I also told my advisor about it so it's not like I was being dishonest. The first one was though, llo.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

stargrey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
Re: Go Dog Go

My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

scuzzmaster11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scuzzmaster11

i wanted to make this as minimalist as possible so the viewer had to take a moment to identify what it was he/she was looking at. once the mind identified it, i think the mind would carry forward to visualize the motion before really thinking about it. i hope this makes it more of a "concept" shirt and less of an "object" shirt, the goal being to make the mind think "motion"

sailstud25

Re: Army in my Pocket Version 2

not to be judgemental, just curious... is the pocket on the printed version a realistic size to look like a real pocket? I guess some pockets on polos now days are smaller than in the past, but it just looks kind of small on the shirt template image :-/

stargrey

stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.

Here is a link to a photo set in my flickr pool from a lure coursing event that my wife went to - it shows what a greyhound in motion is all about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26386534@N00/sets/72157603847475924/

--
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

scuzzmaster11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scuzzmaster11
Re: over and over

i wanted to make this as minimalistic as possible with the idea that the viewer would have to take a moment to identify what was being viewed. i hope this makes it less of an 'object' shirt and more of a 'motion' shirt. my goal is for the mind to visualize motion before the viewer fully realizes what is veing viewed.

mjc613

KenSPT wrote:It's a beautiful shirt, no doubt, but Cho's monopoly of the Derbies has gotten a little ludicrous ...

This shirt IS very good. I think that's why it's doing well.

You are probably much younger than me, but your coments about someone else having an unfair advantage sound very familiar to me. Do you think Einstein had it easy as a Jew in Germany? Do you think Barbara Jordan had it easy as a black woman in the south in a career dominated by very well connected white men? And do you think that Lech Walesa had an easy time asking for changes for working people in communist Poland? Well, none of them did. They all faced incredible barriers but kept on, not because they thought they were better, but because they loved their work.

If you love designing, it won't matter in the long run what your challenges are. You will just want to design. And things will either click here or wherever you are meant to design.

mjc613

stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.

Now you did it. You just incited 50 people to vote for this to counteract your negative remark.

Love the juxtaposition of the sizes, aerodino. I'm better my big tall Texan husband will like this too.

rockstarjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockstarjoe

awesome design, very japanese wood block printed style.

artulo

yeeter wrote:I'm here to help. Listen as much as you'd like.

Thanks, yeeter! I felt better after playing some, too.

rockstarjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockstarjoe
Re: Moving through time...

Its not so much dr. who as it is Bill and Ted.

KenSPT

mjc613 wrote:This shirt IS very good. I think that's why it's doing well.

You are probably much younger than me, but your coments about someone else having an unfair advantage sound very familiar to me. Do you think Einstein had it easy as a Jew in Germany? Do you think Barbara Jordan had it easy as a black woman in the south in a career dominated by very well connected white men? And do you think that Lech Walesa had an easy time asking for changes for working people in communist Poland? Well, none of them did. They all faced incredible barriers but kept on, not because they thought they were better, but because they loved their work.

If you love designing, it won't matter in the long run what your challenges are. You will just want to design. And things will either click here or wherever you are meant to design.

I'm 25, so I'm not quite sure how much younger I am than you, but Cho's shirts have an advantage because they're Cho shirts.

If anyone else submitted the Cow Tipping shirt, it wouldn't be fogged right now, but he submits it and it's fogged within a few hours. His talent aside, he has an unfair advantage, end of story.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
Re: Gravity Discovers Newton

This shirt is great. And i so need a green shirt.

Well there is always next year....

stargrey

mjc613 wrote:Now you did it. You just incited 50 people to vote for this to counteract your negative remark.

You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)

--

sailstud25

mjc613 wrote:It's hard not to like kls's work.

Thanks, I probably need to move some files off that computer because it is seriously slow and I lose patience. I hope I'm able to get it to something satisfactory before the cut-off. I am enjoying my new auxilary tablet though

sailstud25

I think the design has somewhat of a juxtaposition joke between the little Dachshund running with all his might and the Greyhound just walking to keep up...

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311
Re: Chasing Steeples

Is New Balance tennis/sports shoe copyrighted? And doesn't the N count as text?

mjc613

stargrey wrote:You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)

Critiques are fine. It's all about style. You were less than kind.

mjc613

KenSPT wrote:I'm 25, so I'm not quite sure how much younger I am than you, but Cho's shirts have an advantage because they're Cho shirts.

If anyone else submitted the Cow Tipping shirt, it wouldn't be fogged right now, but he submits it and it's fogged within a few hours. His talent aside, he has an unfair advantage, end of story.

Others have argued that this is not the case, so I won't repeat them.
But if it is, then it is something you will just have to deal with. No sense complaining about it, because people are tired of those comments. Just keep working at your designs and eventually you will find something that works for you and the voters.

And everyone will be bitching about your designs instead.