nathanielgarrison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanielgarrison
Re: Aristotle's motion

Good idea but your order is messed up. Should be Earth, water, air, then fire. Aristotle stated that fire was furthest removed from the earth out to the far reaches of the universe. Check Aristotle's Physics it should be in there.

BrIanPir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrIanPir
Discobiscuits wrote:Talking like 5 derbies ago or so

Then resubmit your own art. Somebody did that with their wave art from an earlier derby after making minor changes. It's in the fog too, for some reason. I thought derbies were about originality based on a theme not reruns. However, if that one is okay to submit again, then yours is too.

I don't think these paratroopers are anything like your skydiving stick men, so this one definitely GMV.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
klswoot wrote:

Webfoot - I know someone else asked woot to combine accounts. I think it was Josephus. Don't know if it was a big hassle, or if it was done right away. In any event, I appreciate your vote under your other name.

Gatzby told me it couldn't be done. don't know why.

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
Re: Too Ducking Loud!

No idea why this popped into my head... but I had to get it out...

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

Zodgilla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zodgilla
Re: Stand back, we're using SCIENCE!

Oh my goodness, if this doesn't get in the fog and get sold I'm going to cry.

Jewdave

narkus wrote:lovin' his expression!

Thanks! Wish more did =P

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

stargrey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
Re: Starcraft a la Creme

BEST. SHIRT. EVER.

Okay, maybe not the best ever, but definitely pretty freakin' sweet. And bonus points for geek factor.

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

I really like this, Zenne! I voted. =)

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Too Ducking Loud!

The guy reminds me of a stereo commercial

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
Re: Chinchilla Launch

thanks for all the comments and votes so far! the chinchillas are pleased

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Gravity Discovers Newton

Nice work again, how long will it be for a third of your designs to pass mine this week? Sheesh.

highgrassfarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highgrassfarm
AttilaTheMom wrote:i can't believe you did it. hahaha gmv

I'm always open to suggestions!

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
bolinskyman wrote:I must have this! This is Zenne x50, but with a serious twist. I voted and all we can do now is wait...
(I love Zenne's Lady Out Of Water-- It's my favorite shirt that I own.

you got the Lady Out Of Water, and didn't "must have this" Cho shirt then, why the sudden change? They're not right next to each other on the computer screen, so you can't compare as closely? You should've voted then and wanted to buy both then... yes, Cho is awesome. I like lots of his work too, so I am not slamming his designs, but resubbing with only colors changed did not seem like Cho standards. Maybe I'm overlooking times that similar has happened in the past, but I honestly find this frustrating.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

namgorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namgorf
Re: Space Savior

This was originally a poster that I made for my office at my house. I've always wanted to see it on a shirt!

I never designed it to be printed in fewer than 16 colors, so it was a challenge it get it to look the way I wanted using 6 colors.

Anyway, this is my 2nd submission, thanks guys.

Also, here's the original poster so you guys can check that out.

rres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rres
Re: Spring FLing

I never said this was my own design. I purchased the book a long time ago and scanned it from there. I have full legal authority to use it.

Additionally, even though I could have submitted it as is, I dramatically altered it so it would be relevant to the theme. Look at the differences yourself.

Jewdave

mjc613 wrote:The guy reminds me of a stereo commercial

I did get a little close to that guy in the commercial... hrmm... well at least the hair is longer... Should switch to the lawn chair... Stand by...

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

centexman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages centexman
Re: Moving through time...

I don't think Bill and Ted had a big blue Police Call Box as their vehicle...
GO DR. WHO!

liquidplastik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liquidplastik

Nice work man! I would love to see this on a shirt!

utahsaint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages utahsaint
namgorf wrote:This was originally a poster that I made for my office at my house. I've always wanted to see it on a shirt!

I never designed it to be printed in fewer than 16 colors, so it was a challenge it get it to look the way I wanted using 6 colors.

Anyway, this is my 2nd submission, thanks guys.

Also, here's the original poster so you guys can check that out.

I'd rock this shirt in a second. Just sayin'...

KenSPT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
mjc613 wrote:Others have argued that this is not the case, so I won't repeat them.
But if it is, then it is something you will just have to deal with. No sense complaining about it, because people are tired of those comments. Just keep working at your designs and eventually you will find something that works for you and the voters.

And everyone will be bitching about your designs instead.

If I regularly submitted designs your statement would make more sense, and anyone who doesn't think the Cho advantage is fact is ignorant and just plain wrong ...

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

Nevermind.. I don't wish to start fights on here. =D Continue hating Cho. =p

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99

This totally makes me want to bust out into "Spirit in the Sky."

Seattlejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seattlejo
Re: Super Turtle

C'mon little turtle ! You can make it back to the top.

ilstu99

rres wrote:I never said this was my own design. I purchased the book a long time ago and scanned it from there. I have full legal authority to use it.

Additionally, even though I could have submitted it as is, I dramatically altered it so it would be relevant to the theme. Look at the differences yourself.

Yes....you cut some of it off. Nice skills.

Jewdave

Jewdave wrote:I did get a little close to that guy in the commercial... hrmm... well at least the hair is longer... Should switch to the lawn chair... Stand by...

Guess I'll skip posting the lawnchair version...

40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
eyeslikesugar wrote:And if your "controlled experiment" is that he wins every derby he submits in, I beg to differ.. my awesome It Might Have Been a Giant, kicked his Apathetic dog's butt! ;) Just kidding cho.

True He also entered a cool dove design that week, and both the dog and the dove failed to reach the top ten (or even reach 100 votes, for that matter). Also, it's interesting that people are complaining about how he always wins, when... this is a resub. Obviously he doesn't win every time or a resub wouldn't be possible.

The only advantages Cho has are talent and the ability to enter several high quality entries every week. I think the main thing setting Cho apart from other entrants is that when his submissions don't do well, instead of blaming the voters he goes back to the drawing board to find out what he could do better next time. That kind of thinking is why he has a better grasp of who the voting audience is than anyone else competing, but it's not magic- anyone could do it, if they applied themselves to the task with the same level of dedication.

thepuck04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepuck04
Re: Treacherous Waters v.2

This was my favorite all-time woot shirt. I was pretty disappointed when it didn't win the water derby. I've got my fingers crossed that you win this one.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
arem wrote:Yes, people voting for cute/crappy happens everywhere (Threadless especially), but once in a while good art gets recognized and voted for. You have a lot of votes right now, including mine.

It's also important to bear in mind that this isn't an art contest, or even a mechanism for art appreciation. At the end of the day, this is a way for a commercial business to see what the majority of their viewers would wear on a shirt. That's why the vote link says, "I'd want one", not "I'm a qualified art critic and approve this design." For artists, there are forums to discuss and teach great art, and then there are profitable ventures to see how well you can target the public's aesthetic ideals. Only occasionally do the two intersect.

dsladek, you're clearly a talented artist who can take critique. Look at lower votes as a critique of mass appeal, not necessarily design execution. The shirts that get printed are priceless information about demographic buying trends, and there's nothing ignoble about putting aside our own tastes to please more buyers. Even the best artists in history have had to take a break from educating others about "good" art to do commissions.

ilstu99

haxrox wrote:It's also important to bear in mind that this isn't an art contest, or even a mechanism for art appreciation. At the end of the day, this is a way for a commercial business to see what the majority of their viewers would wear on a shirt. That's why the vote link says, "I'd want one", not "I'm a qualified art critic and approve this design."

Perfect. Thank you.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
MIKE487 wrote:from tenth to 36th bleckkkk

grrr

Please check it out

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Don Quixote rides on

I like the gritty style :-)

Check out my blog:Here!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

It's nice to see zenne can do cute too ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino

I'm not an expert in dog motion, but the idea is suppose to be humorous, not technical. Yes, the greyhound is walking, and it is taking one step, while the dachshund is taking a flurry of steps to keep up with the greyhound's one step. And I did draw it..and...it is stylized to contrast the two dog's body shapes.

So vote like crazy. I'm not going to win, but the votes are good for my emotional well being...

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
KenSPT wrote:It's a beautiful shirt, no doubt, but Cho's monopoly of the Derbies has gotten a little ludicrous ...

His artwork deserves to win. No doubt about it. He knows the Woot voting crowd and does amazing designs. Should he win, yes. I don't know if it hurts morale to see the the same artist win time and time again. But, the derby might result in more varied designs each week if they set rules on the number of consecutive wins for a designer or allowed for more frequent editor's picks.

I'm not a Cho hater, so don't take my post as such. I love his dedication and attention to detail. He rarely ever submits an entry that is flawed. His entries deserve the praise they receive and he certainly deserves to be printed. But, I feel bad for other entries that are just outside the fog and are fantastic too and are from artists who have never been printed, or who don't benefit from the advanced exposure that comes with Cho's resub or Cho's amazing woot reputation. I'm a Libra....I'll blame my feeling of trying to balance out everyone's happiness on being a Libra.

Seiren1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seiren1
Re: The Fastest Animals on Earth

I love your Cheetah, flaws and all! ;o)
I really hope you win, I keep checking on it.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: The Fastest Animals on Earth

I think this is my favorite in the derby. (Although I do love the wave one too!) TG- This is so clever. It just wouldn't have the same appeal without the sloth! That was such a great idea to add him.....and the title just makes me laugh.

I love everything about the shirt! The colors are great too! Hope you make it up to the fog, or at least get noticed as a Best Loser. ( )

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
klswoot wrote:His artwork deserves to win. No doubt about it. He knows the Woot voting crowd and does amazing designs. Should he win, yes. But, it certainly doesn't help build morale among other artists to constantly see the same artist win time and time again. I don't know if Woot honestly gives a hoot about how the artists feel, but the derby might result in more varied designs each week if they set rules on the number of submissions each week, or the number of consecutive wins for a designer.

I dunno, this artist doesn't mind seeing multiple wins- I think artists like Cho, Gentry, Fablefire and Sokowa (among many others, of course) do amazing work, and I love wearing their shirts. The only thing that hurts my morale, personally, is when terrible designs or concepts beat me. Being beaten by great work energizes me, because it helps me see what is possible in the medium. I don't like the idea of Woot creating any new rules that could limit the quality of entries we have to choose from when we vote, and that's how I feel a rule change would affect the derby for me.

(ps- I'm a libra too!)

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

klswoot wrote:I think this is my favorite in the derby. (Although I do love the wave one too!) TG- This is so clever. It just wouldn't have the same appeal without the sloth! That was such a great idea to add him.....and the title just makes me laugh.

I love everything about the shirt! The colors are great too! Hope you make it up to the fog, or at least get noticed as a Best Loser. ( )

Thanks KLS! I doubt the fog is possible at this point. Not sure what's with the sudden boost of votes, but they are appreciated. And I never mind being a Best Loser pick. Anyone come up with a Worst Loser site yet?...

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.

I'm not an expert in dog motion, but the idea is suppose to be humorous, not technical. Yes, the greyhound is walking, and it is taking one step, while the dachshund is taking a flurry of steps to keep up with the greyhound's one step. And I did draw it..and...it is stylized to contrast the two dog's body shapes.

So vote like crazy. I'm not going to win, but the votes are good for my emotional well being...

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

geekfactor12 wrote:I dunno, this artist doesn't mind seeing multiple wins- I think artists like Cho, Gentry, Fablefire and Sokowa (among many others, of course) do amazing work, and I love wearing their shirts. The only thing that hurts my morale, personally, is when terrible designs or concepts beat me. Being beaten by great work energizes me, because it helps me see what is possible in the medium. I don't like the idea of Woot creating any new rules that could limit the quality of entries we have to choose from when we vote, and that's how I feel a rule change would affect the derby for me.

(ps- I'm a libra too!)

I agree GF. I really don't mind losing to great entries from great designers, including Cho, Fable, Sokowa, Zenne, Jimiyo etc.. Good shirts winning is good for everyone. You can't blame Cho for being the best. He's just doing what any of us would if we were in his position.

It stings a bit when I see a shirt I don't really like win over one of my entries that I really put some love into, but everyone feels that way. I've tried to keep the mindset that I'm just not trying hard enough and I'll have to do better next time. Also remembering that I used to get almost no votes makes me appreciate at least being close a lot now.