klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
geekfactor12 wrote:I dunno, this artist doesn't mind seeing multiple wins- I think artists like Cho, Gentry, Fablefire and Sokowa (among many others, of course) do amazing work, and I love wearing their shirts. The only thing that hurts my morale, personally, is when terrible designs or concepts beat me. Being beaten by great work energizes me, because it helps me see what is possible in the medium. I don't like the idea of Woot creating any new rules that could limit the quality of entries we have to choose from when we vote, and that's how I feel a rule change would affect the derby for me.

(ps- I'm a libra too!)

Go Libras!! I agree with you almost entirely. When the really great designs win, it certainly forces the other artists to feel they need to raise the game in order to vie for one of the other fogged spots. This benefits everyone because it makes all the artists work harder and gives the woot buying crowd some fabulous designs for an affordable price.

But, I'm still trying to see the derby through the eyes of a new designer and whether they feel that they are competing on a level playing field. I know the raise to $1000.00 is incentive enough for the new designers to stay and test their success in the derby in the short run, but I don't know if it is enough to keep them here week after week if their art isn't getting the notice they feel they deserve. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But, I do agree with you about the concept based shirts. That's a definite morale-buster. My dad bought two sliced bread shirts remember! (That one beat my Taking Flight design!) He still says it the best shirt woot's ever done. Although your little portal shirt is still kicking butt and it was a relatively simple parody shirt that is amazingly popular! (So you can't hate them too much! )

I do love that Woot has been calling for text-free shirts a lot more in the derbies. That's nice to see! I also like the restrictions on colors. I'd like to see more variety in the shirt colors that win. (Your orange one is the only really bright shirt to win a derby, isn't it?)

klswoot

tgentry wrote:Thanks KLS! I doubt the fog is possible at this point. Not sure what's with the sudden boost of votes, but they are appreciated. And I never mind being a Best Loser pick. Anyone come up with a Worst Loser site yet?...

Do you mean a "worst winner" site? That would be pretty funny!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
snarkygal wrote:It is the weekend and the Woot rejectorator needs some time off dude. Wait till Monday or Tuesday and you will see a lot of rejections.

Hah. Still here!

Perque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Perque
peppersabaddog wrote:mosh pits tend to have more than 3 people.
lets just call this one "3 guys dancing in the forest"

Depends on how big the show is...but yeah..I'd call it one guy executing dance steps into the forest.

Perque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Perque
rres wrote:Ribs!
I screwed up my rocket pack - i will fix it in the AM.

I thought it was a hand with rays of light

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
Perque wrote:I thought it was a hand with rays of light

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a hand. It took me a minute to find the snail. Cool idea, IMO...just hard to execute in silhouette.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:At some point today, the Kraken will wake...

KRAKEN!

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Rocketing Robot

sweet shirt.

Check out my blog:Here!

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
klswoot wrote:Go Libras!! I agree with you almost entirely. When the really great designs win, it certainly forces the other artists to feel they need to raise the game in order to vie for one of the other fogged spots. This benefits everyone because it makes all the artists work harder and gives the woot buying crowd some fabulous designs for an affordable price.

But, I'm still trying to see the derby through the eyes of a new designer and whether they feel that they are competing on a level playing field. I know the raise to $1000.00 is incentive enough for the new designers to stay and test their success in the derby in the short run, but I don't know if it is enough to keep them here week after week if their art isn't getting the notice they feel they deserve. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But, I do agree with you about the concept based shirts. That's a definite morale-buster. My dad bought two sliced bread shirts remember! (That one beat my Taking Flight design!) He still says it the best shirt woot's ever done. Although your little portal shirt is still kicking butt and it was a relatively simple parody shirt that is amazingly popular! (So you can't hate them too much! )

I do love that Woot has been calling for text-free shirts a lot more in the derbies. That's nice to see! I also like the restrictions on colors. I'd like to see more variety in the shirt colors that win. (Your orange one is the only really bright shirt to win a derby, isn't it?)

Believe me, I don't hate all concept-based shirts, I even own a bunch I only hate the terrible ones, which for me usually means either truly horrendous execution, or a concept that the designer borrowed from another, better-looking shirt. I guess I might have stated that a bit funny, as I rarely proofread my posts llo.

Part of the fun, and the frustration, of the derby is that sometimes great art wins... and other times it's a hideous orange shirt with a joke about a video game ;) I find being beaten by great art a lot easier to take, which is probably why I rather prefer losing to the likes of Gentry, Cho and co.

In terms of winners, I look at the Derby similarly to how I look at sites like DBH, Threadless and Uneetee: all of those sites have individual artists who have won many, many times. And all of them have other artists who do good work but haven't won yet. This doesn't seem to hurt any of those sites in terms of new participants. Another thing that keeps me from being upset is knowing that Woot has in the past contacted promising derby artists about doing daily submissions.

But I definitely agree with you on the derbies with art restrictions- I think that's a great way for Woot to induce some variation into what wins the derby, so even if sometimes it's the same people, there's still some new, fresh takes on t-shirt art

shite22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shite22
Re: Breaking the Cycle (Soul Motion)

i like the design, hate the colors

marlone8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marlone8
Re: Treacherous Waters v.2

Love the Japanese theme

klswoot

geekfactor12 wrote:Believe me, I don't hate all concept-based shirts, I even own a bunch I only hate the terrible ones, which for me usually means either truly horrendous execution, or a concept that the designer borrowed from another, better-looking shirt. I guess I might have stated that a bit funny, as I rarely proofread my posts llo.

Part of the fun, and the frustration, of the derby is that sometimes great art wins... and other times it's a hideous orange shirt with a joke about a video game ;) I find being beaten by great art a lot easier to take, which is probably why I rather prefer losing to the likes of Gentry, Cho and co.

In terms of winners, I look at the Derby similarly to how I look at sites like DBH, Threadless and Uneetee: all of those sites have individual artists who have won many, many times. And all of them have other artists who do good work but haven't won yet. This doesn't seem to hurt any of those sites in terms of new participants. Another thing that keeps me from being upset is knowing that Woot has in the past contacted promising derby artists about doing daily submissions.

But I definitely agree with you on the derbies with art restrictions- I think that's a great way for Woot to induce some variation into what wins the derby, so even if sometimes it's the same people, there's still some new, fresh takes on t-shirt art

Nicely said GF. Agree with you entirely on this post. I really think the voters have done great choosing the top 3 lately. There have been some really great shirts for several weeks now.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
geekfactor12 wrote:Believe me, I don't hate all concept-based shirts, I even own a bunch I only hate the terrible ones, which for me usually means either truly horrendous execution, or a concept that the designer borrowed from another, better-looking shirt. I guess I might have stated that a bit funny, as I rarely proofread my posts llo.

cho is the yankees cho is the machine, you wanna win you gotta step up and get passed, or get lucky and slip one passed the goalie... thats how i see it

Please check it out

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
sailstud25 wrote:great idea, and I like the placement... you didn't feel like you had to make it overly large like some people do.
I wondered if anyone would do a hummingbird. in my mind it would've had a blurr of the wings, but yours is very nice!

Tried doing a blur of the wings, but without being able to do transparencies, it was nearly impossible to with just line art. The wings were originally much more solid-looking. I'm going to keep working on it though - maybe be able to put it into another derby entry later on

klswoot

Bryan818 wrote:cho is the yankees cho is the machine, you wanna win you gotta step up and get passed, or get lucky and slip one passed the goalie... thats how i see it

Slip one past the goalie! Cute, Bryan. I'm a basketball fan, but I know what you are saying!

phunkygrl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phunkygrl

This is great, Hope it gets more votes.

ilcarriz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilcarriz

[quote postid="2179937" user="namgorf"]

Wow, this is amazing. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

ilcarriz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilcarriz
Re: Too Soon?

Now, tshirthell would probably print this.

laribar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laribar
Re: Pirate 4 Life, Run!!!

too cute would love to see this one on shirt.woot

artulo

KingLionAids wrote:Hopefully this or Army in My Pocket wins. They are both awesome! =]

Thanks! Back in 5th place for a few minutes until Newton sneaks up on me...

codefish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages codefish

Dag nabbit. I thought I was being clever. I take it "String Cheese Incident" is a band?

Oh well.

apsbainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apsbainc
laribar wrote:too cute would love to see this one on shirt.woot

Thanks for the love ^_^
its my first Derby entry

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Seattlejo wrote:C'mon little turtle ! You can make it back to the top.

I think his days are numbered. He's just here for the ride now. He'll be happy to stay in top 10 finish at this point. But that could certainly change as well.

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090
SydneyB wrote:Hehehe, simple, but with lots and lots of appeal.

I usually do not like to wear white shirts, but I think I'd make an exception for this one. It shows motion AND personality, but with stick figures! Nice job!

Thanks! I dont like wearing white shirts either....heh. But one could say it adds to the simplicity and lets the red stand out.

should i remove some of the "stupid" guys still trying to stop the rock? I was looking at my main simplified sample image (above) and I'm not sure I like having three untouched stupid ones standing there like in the shirt placement preview. maybe one less?

hmmmm...

AdamVIP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdamVIP
Re: Newton's Horror

I voted for both because they are both good. I do prefer the Oh carp swinging ball on this design though.

tico0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
eHalcyon wrote:I thought roundabouts actually formed a circle? This one is open at the bottom...

Well, it looks like this represents the motion you would trace when you enter a roundabout... you wouldn't really want to go ALL the way round...

I like this one, I'm also fond of roundabouts.

namgorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namgorf

liquidplastik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages liquidplastik
Re: Space Savior

Rejected due to religion? buttery croissant, buttery croissant, buttery croissant.

AdamVIP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdamVIP
Re: Can't Stop the Rock

He should just use paper. Paper always beats rock

Graye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
haxrox wrote:It's also important to bear in mind that this isn't an art contest, or even a mechanism for art appreciation. At the end of the day, this is a way for a commercial business to see what the majority of their viewers would wear on a shirt. That's why the vote link says, "I'd want one", not "I'm a qualified art critic and approve this design." For artists, there are forums to discuss and teach great art, and then there are profitable ventures to see how well you can target the public's aesthetic ideals. Only occasionally do the two intersect.

dsladek, you're clearly a talented artist who can take critique. Look at lower votes as a critique of mass appeal, not necessarily design execution. The shirts that get printed are priceless information about demographic buying trends, and there's nothing ignoble about putting aside our own tastes to please more buyers. Even the best artists in history have had to take a break from educating others about "good" art to do commissions.

Exactly...

As a reference though:
http://www.homeiswherethetvis.com/wootshirts/
Starting August 3rd on the list, and every +7days are the actual contest winners. ( the first few only have 1 winner, 2 for a tie. Just keep an eye on the dates).

Also remeber to plan your thumbnail image ;)

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2022502&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=18

Figit090

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Figit090
AdamVIP wrote:He should just use paper. Paper always beats rock

*giggles*....nice

I forgot to mention, this was actually a design for a previous derby based on song lyrics. I never had a chance to enter it!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
stargrey wrote:You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)

Yes. And they're all so sensitive that negative critiques WILL garner sympathy votes, even on the worst carp. Woot voters are sheep, star. You either ignore them or accept that you're fighting a losing battle. The rest of us on the battlefront would really appreciate the latter.

AdderXYU

tgentry wrote:Thanks KLS! I doubt the fog is possible at this point. Not sure what's with the sudden boost of votes, but they are appreciated. And I never mind being a Best Loser pick. Anyone come up with a Worst Loser site yet?...

If I had the webspace...

artulo

klswoot wrote:Do you mean a "worst winner" site? That would be pretty funny!

Nice idea....would be pretty humorous!

feticirad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages feticirad
Re: Orange crash!

hell yeah!

mmm510a

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmm510a
Re: Army in my Pocket Version 2

Great shirt! Hope it wins!!!

sentnl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sentnl

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:Yes. And they're all so sensitive that negative critiques WILL garner sympathy votes, even on the worst carp. Woot voters are sheep, star...

Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!

AdderXYU

Josephus wrote:Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!

Sheep are too placid to go with negative critiques. Though perhaps lemmings would make more sense.

and seriously, I don't understand how Edgar gets pulled into this. I've never seen him finish in the fog, and normally even when he starts in it, he finds he's plummeted out of the top 10 by derby close. No one votes for people based just on the name. If they did, there would be some place where those names hung out and begged for votes among their friends. The reason certain people have consistent placements is because they have skill and style. You can see it as their name, but the fact is, if a designer fogs every week, and every week the shirt that fogs is wearable, artful, and thoughtful, that's because the designer does good work, not because the designer has a popular name. If people seek out edgar, it is because they love his past work and know that his style is such that they'll likely enjoy the new work as well. If you love Van Gogh's work, you're more apt to buy a book of his paintings, and if you like Edgar or Cho or Gentry, you're more apt to look at their work. Because it's good, and consistently so. That's the only advantage a name has... it shows you who does the work that doesn't suck.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

Cool cell phone.

This is a really solid design. If I were Nintendo, I'd want it to print - free advertising, stylish portrayal, and I'm not losing money on any product (unless they sell wii-shirts). 1up.