SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

Wow. So much design and detail with so few colors. Just... wow.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
serab611 wrote:This is pretty cool. so wish i knew how to give props or however the point system works

In order to vote, you must buy something on any of the Woot sites. My suggestion is to run over woot.com, wine.woot.com or sellout.woot.com and purchase something if today's shirt on shirt.woot.com is not your cup of tea and then come back and vote.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
daedalusknight wrote:Things Woot considers text:

Anything on your keyboard, including punctuation and symbols
Any letter from any foreign alphabet (the Greek letter pi included)
Any symbol used to convey a word in a foreign language (Kanji, for example)
The infinity symbol
The symbol for "ohm"

Did I miss anything?

Any sort of character in any recognized language is probably considered text. Mathematical symbols (like infinity) are also text.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

gargrazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gargrazz
jenny78 wrote:Ireally like this design.

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

eHalcyon

Re: Skydiving

Now is this just for fun and sport, or is there something wrong with the plane? I don't think rhinos usually sky dive just for the thrill of it, so I'm guessing the latter.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

Hope he has one heck of a parachute . . or MANY parachutes. Those guys aren't particularly light.

eHalcyon

Re: Dive!

I'm disappointed this one isn't doing better. As much as I like Cho's resub from the water derby, I like this one better.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
daedalusknight wrote:Things Woot considers text:

Anything on your keyboard, including punctuation and symbols
Any letter from any foreign alphabet (the Greek letter pi included)
Any symbol used to convey a word in a foreign language (Kanji, for example)
The infinity symbol
The symbol for "ohm"

Did I miss anything?

The symbol for "ohm" (a unit in electricty) is Omega, the greek letter.
The symbol for "om" () might be what you meant.

ilstu99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
eHalcyon wrote:I'm disappointed this one isn't doing better. As much as I like Cho's resub from the water derby, I like this one better.

I also really like this design. Maybe the thumbnail was not as enticing to the voters? From a distance, it looks like a weird solar system problem.

curbman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curbman
ueberRegenbogen wrote:fwiw, the apple actually landed near Newton—not on him. (not criticising the shirt; just tossing that in)

I'm pretty sure that it's just apocryphal.

mac1ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mac1ne

Dope! If you don't win you should sell your design to ecko unltd.

brizz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
dsladek wrote:thanks for the constructive crit! let me just say that as an artist I thank you. I wish there were more people like you who were really interested in commenting on the technical aspects of the art on this site. I had actually originally had the bar solid but it seemed too uninteresting to me. I played around with it a lot but maybe I just made a pour judgement.
Oh well. it doesn't seem like I will get very far in this derby anyway. I keep hoping that the voters will start to vote based on the skill of the design and the execution of the idea. But so far I have been both perplexed and upset with where the votes are going. there are lots of amazing t shirt designs on this site but they never seem to win the derbies. its a darn shame. and if it continues a lot of the well thought out art work is going to die off (considering that it takes a lot of time and effort to make a good design and idea) and no effort to plop a piece of carp on a shirt. I thought I might try to be original but at this point I am about to throw in the towel and just start drawing cute poorly drafted anthropomorphic animals because thats the only thing that anyone freak'n likes. or maybe I should just change my name to james cho

ANyway my rant can now be added to the countless other unheard rants that change absolutely nothing and makes me sound like an angsty jerk. but I'm not, I'm just passionate about art :/

for someone who hasn't been here long - only 3 weeks - you sure do seem to think you have it all figured out. I think you are confusing mediums here. good "art" does not = a good shirt design. just because you may be a talented illustrator doesn't mean you don't have a lot to learn about designing shirts. it is much more than slapping some drawing on a shirt, as you are finding out. To suggest as you are that all cho does is slap a quickie drawing on a shirt is entirely disingenuous. if you look closely you'll see that the DESIGN is made with the intent of working ON A SHIRT. that is why he is successful. And it is also something he works very hard on and has improved immensely since he first started submitting. You can too, but only if you start thinking of what you are composing as a shirt design, not a comic still.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
bluchez wrote:The symbol for "ohm" (a unit in electricty) is Omega, the greek letter.
The symbol for "om" () might be what you meant.

D'oh! You're correct.

I actually think of it as "oam" because of the way I learned it... the "Oh" sound... the "Ah" sound... the "MMM" sound... and the silence that it came out of and into which it will return.

But, yes, the accepted English spelling is "om" not "ohm" and that's what I meant.

slickmand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slickmand
SoupRKnowva wrote:i dont even know what its supposed to be but i love the way it looks

Me too, Id buy 2

eHalcyon

artulo wrote:You're so lucky! My toast always lands with condiment-side down.

I once read an honest-to-goodness scientific study on the "toast always lands butter-side down" adage. Basically, the extra weight on the buttered side of the toast does in fact cause it to land on that side more often (though not always, of course). The study examined the probability of the event as well as the reason behind it all, taking into account issues like the non-uniform density of the buttered toast, air resistance and what have you. A careful google search may be able to turn it up; I tried finding it quickly but was unsuccessful. =)

By the way, this isn't a new idea. It's all over the internet. Still, one of my favourite jokes.

andyrulez123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyrulez123

Awesome man, you should have entered earlier, then you would have a chance at winning. Please enter again!

codefish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages codefish
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13610]

This is magnificent. Good luck, my friend!

eHalcyon

serab611 wrote:it's beautiful. who are you to criticize art? it's soulful. design is great, colors are great you dark farts

I don't know who this comment is directed at (by your comment on colours, I suppose you meant the other person), but s/he was just expressing his/her opinion. S/he likes the design but does not like the colours. Is that a crime? Not everyone has the same tastes - that user was simply expressing his/her tastes.

English really needs a genderless pronoun. I don't like to use "they".

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
eHalcyon wrote:I once read an honest-to-goodness scientific study on the "toast always lands butter-side down" adage. Basically, the extra weight on the buttered side of the toast does in fact cause it to land on that side more often (though not always, of course). The study examined the probability of the event as well as the reason behind it all, taking into account issues like the non-uniform density of the buttered toast, air resistance and what have you. A careful google search may be able to turn it up; I tried finding it quickly but was unsuccessful. =)

By the way, this isn't a new idea. It's all over the internet. Still, one of my favourite jokes.

They did it on Mythbusters, as well. They even designed a toast dropping machine. :-)

dhmarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhmarr

I personally like how it looks, but I'm not sure how well it would print. I've been disappointed in the past. GL though!

bookmonkey786

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookmonkey786
Re: Rocket Rodeo

Is there a web site where you put up other examples of you work

eHalcyon

daedalusknight wrote:D'oh! You're correct.

I actually think of it as "oam" because of the way I learned it... the "Oh" sound... the "Ah" sound... the "MMM" sound... and the silence that it came out of and into which it will return.

But, yes, the accepted English spelling is "om" not "ohm" and that's what I meant.

Isn't om a character in another language? Sanskrit or something? So you didn't need to mention it specifically. =)

eHalcyon

daedalusknight wrote:They did it on Mythbusters, as well. They even designed a toast dropping machine. :-)

Mythbusters, as entertaining as it is, is not scientific. Not even in the slightest. XP

lowtoast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowtoast

Amazing,
Can anyone explain to me why this isn't in the fog?

eHalcyon

Re: Sir, they've gone to plaid.

Not sure if this fits the theme, but the more pressing problem is the text. No text this week, sorry!

SpaceJock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpaceJock
Re: Newton's Escape

I'm not sure why, but I really do like this - much more so than the others of similar design. It has a nice angle to it and the design is very sharp and crisp. And you put a nice twist to it.

I'd definitely buy one. Sadly, I highly doubt this will get anywhere close to the fog in time.

~ Wireless Garden Yada Headset Hub – 2 Pack
~ Razer Diamondback 1600dpi Gaming Mouse (Blue)
~ Steelsound 5H USB V2 Professional Gaming Headset
~ Wowwee Roboquad Interactive Robot
~ Altec Lansing M604 Powered Audio System for Zune
~ Razer Protone m250 Street-Style Clip Earphones x2

eHalcyon

Re: Stand back, we're using SCIENCE!

1. Your thumbnail is terrrrible. I didn't even notice this shirt until now.
2. The name you gave it is far too reminiscent of xkcd's "stand back - I'm going to try science" shirt.
3. This is an amazing, hilarious and wonderful design.

Sachmoe64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
bookmonkey786 wrote:Is there a web site where you put up other examples of you work

Check out sachmoe64@deviantart.com most of its really old. Theres a few new things on there. theres some stuff on there that I may submit for later derbys if they fit or I can work them into fitting.

Sachmoe64

geekfactor12 wrote:Information about daily designs can be found on the What is Woot page.

thanks

Cymbalta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cymbalta
Re: Rocket Rodeo

I'd SO want one. The thing I like about this is how many different ways it can be seen...sexual, Doc Strangelovish and everything with that, etc, etc.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

After reading your title, I think I get what you're going for, but I still don't get the reason for the guy's face...

Also, designs can't be more than 6 colors. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Sachmoe64

wannamaker wrote:If not a tee-shirt, howz 'bout a tattoo?

are you serious? You'd want this permanently on ya?

eHalcyon

shamloo wrote:What would you want in the resub? I could clean up the lines behind the wraith, I think they look a little sloppy in retrospect but other than that I am stumped.

I believe that user meant that you should resub in a future derby when possible, for another chance at printing.

eHalcyon

daedalusknight wrote:No, but something tells me it would be hilarious. :-)

Ninja parade.

whoawen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whoawen

Wow, that shirt is sick.

Too bad most of the users on this site vote for buttery croissant jokes rather than sweet looking shirts.

partnerswhoshare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partnerswhoshare
SailorButterfly wrote:After reading your title, I think I get what you're going for, but I still don't get the reason for the guy's face...

Also, designs can't be more than 6 colors. ;)

In Space orbs.. they go from Light Speed to Ridiculous Speed to Ludicrous (or a cartoon of Ludicris) speed... to... they've gone to plaid. Black of a t-shirt doesn't count as a color.. You can separate to <6. And I guess RPM counts as text.. Oh well.. can be easily removed if anyone really cares that much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouJS28FNBU
Smoke em if you got em.

envelope

quality posts: 0 Private Messages envelope
stargrey wrote:Sorry, jerky, you clearly have no idea who I am. We have 11 wonderful greyhounds sound asleep on various sofas and beds (including our bed) as I type this and not one in a racing kennel. I have also been involved in over 200 adoptions over the past decade.

Also, your "75%" stat is so far from the truth that I almost didn't bother replying to you. You must be one of those anti-racing freaks that just love to spread misinformation. Heck, even the formal anti-racing organizations would never exaggerate that badly, so your creditability is shot.

And if you would've bothered to actually look at the flickr pool, genius, you would've seen pictures like this:

I figure you're one of those people who would never let a dog on the couch - after all, you think you're so much better than everyone and everything else. Know what it takes for a dog to sleep belly-up? Comfort in their environment!

Want to see real love for a greyhound? Here's a video my wife put together of our first couple of years together. (I posted it over a year ago, so it's not like we went out and did this to make a point. Our point was already made!) Watch this and then tell me you know sh*t about me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2N2UQ0Qjmw

How do you keep them from trashing the couch? My leather is ruined from nesting from my girlfriend's greyhounds. She does clip their nails. hummmm...

Cool design! Love the little guy trying to keep up with his buddy's stride.

/s/j

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Even without the black, I still see more than 6 colors: white, green, red, orange, 2 shades of gray in the hat, creme plus it looks like purple in the plaid.

It also looks like you have gradients or half tones in the dial for the rim and the black on the button on the right. Woot has said that this is risky, since they can't always print these.

Add this to the RPM in text, and I think you will have a visit from the rejectionator.

I recommend pulling this, removing the text, redoing the plaid, the hat and the dial , and then resubmitting.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
partnerswhoshare wrote:In Space orbs.. they go from Light Speed to Ridiculous Speed to Ludicrous (or a cartoon of Ludicris) speed... to... they've gone to plaid. Black of a t-shirt doesn't count as a color.. You can separate to <6. And I guess RPM counts as text.. Oh well.. can be easily removed if anyone really cares that much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouJS28FNBU
Smoke em if you got em.

There is no way this can be separated into 6 colors. Yes, you have red, green orange and white, but then you have a metalic silver with shadows (there are at least 2 colors of grey/silver there) The blacks have gradient shadows, and then you have grey and flesh tone in the face that's in there. You can't use a photo to make an entry for the design since they print in color separations, so even if they remove the RPM (which they don't do, you would have to remove any questionable part of the design and resubmit) you would still get rejected because they do not currently print true gradients, nor can they separate colors that are from a photo (like the RPM guage). The colors need to be separated by you before you submit your design.

whyskurs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
Re: Hamster Gear Train

Well, it looks good in illustrator. Is there anyway to have the jpgs not come out like dead weasels? Anyone?