eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
whyskurs wrote:Well, it looks good in illustrator. Is there anyway to have the jpgs not come out like dead weasels? Anyone?



Looks okay to me. Make sure to save as a jpg (gifs are better for this but woot automatically converts it to jpg - better to just avoid the extra conversion) in RGB. The shirt comp needs to be 600x600 and the design detail must be 240x240 - if you save it in different sizes, it will be resized and look worse for it.

Note that for the shirt comp, you don't need to have the shirt full size like you have it here. It's only needed to show placement; most designers also include a larger view of the actual design - check the fogged entries, for example.

That said, this design is going to be rejected. Your shirt comp shows on white but your design detail is on brown. You can't have discrepancies like that. You should remove this entry and resubmit it with proper colours.

Good luck!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
brizz wrote:for someone who hasn't been here long - only 3 weeks - you sure do seem to think you have it all figured out. I think you are confusing mediums here. good "art" does not = a good shirt design. just because you may be a talented illustrator doesn't mean you don't have a lot to learn about designing shirts. it is much more than slapping some drawing on a shirt, as you are finding out. To suggest as you are that all cho does is slap a quickie drawing on a shirt is entirely disingenuous. if you look closely you'll see that the DESIGN is made with the intent of working ON A SHIRT. that is why he is successful. And it is also something he works very hard on and has improved immensely since he first started submitting. You can too, but only if you start thinking of what you are composing as a shirt design, not a comic still.



you are absolutly right brizz. i admitt that I do have alot to lean about shirt design, and i will be more concious of how the design works with the shirt in the future. I ment no ofense to cho by the way. I actually like alot of his designs and i by no means think that he just slaps a picture on a shirt. he is a great designer and i wish him the best.
thanks for your comments and suggestions and forgive me if I upset any one. it was not my intention.

oh yeah, im going to do a daily design and if anyone has anything they have been dyeing to see on a shirt then let me know and ill see what i can do. I would love to hear what you guys like.

LactatingNinja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LactatingNinja

Definitely preferred the light blue, but I'll still buy it.

I was madder when this lost the water derby than I was about that prospector. I'm still torn up about that prospector.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
LactatingNinja wrote:Definitely preferred the light blue, but I'll still buy it.

I was madder when this lost the water derby than I was about that prospector. I'm still torn up about that prospector.



I'm guessing that the prospector you are looking for is here:
http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/9193

StrayNostalgia


quality posts: 2 Private Messages StrayNostalgia
highgrassfarm wrote:Is this any better?



nope

redghia69


quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
Re: Marching by.


Somehow I imagine Edgar waking up each day with some portion of this parade going through his head, the lines between dream and reality blurred. He gets up, shoves a few of them into his closet, a couple more into the sock drawer, and the rest under his bed. It’s whacky, yet subtle, making it one of the most wearable shirts of the derby. Woot -- I do want one.

teslaguy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages teslaguy
Re: Sir Macintosh Red Newton



Nice work, son.

philiph7


quality posts: 1 Private Messages philiph7
eHalcyon wrote:Better. The only problem now is that they don't have feet... XP



Yeah...I wanted him to still sink into the surface below him as if the "grass"-colored shirt were, well, grass. I guess I didn't make that very convincing.

whyskurs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
eHalcyon wrote:Looks okay to me. Make sure to save as a jpg (gifs are better for this but woot automatically converts it to jpg - better to just avoid the extra conversion) in RGB. The shirt comp needs to be 600x600 and the design detail must be 240x240 - if you save it in different sizes, it will be resized and look worse for it.

Note that for the shirt comp, you don't need to have the shirt full size like you have it here. It's only needed to show placement; most designers also include a larger view of the actual design - check the fogged entries, for example.

That said, this design is going to be rejected. Your shirt comp shows on white but your design detail is on brown. You can't have discrepancies like that. You should remove this entry and resubmit it with proper colours.

Good luck!



Thanks for the advice halcyon. The white background for the shirt was a dumb error but I think I got everything else to specifications. The jpgs just came out badly compared to my design file in my opinion.

If you don't mind, what programs do you use or know other members use? I did this on CorelDRAW which is vector-based and I'm afraid that might cause problems. I couldn't figure out how to layer based on color so I moved it into adobe illustrator ( which i've no idea how to use) and layered it there. However instead of one color on one layer I had to break up say the layer with orange into other layers based on fore and background object placement. Do you know or suspect if that will cause a problem?

I realy don't know what I'm doing here. Just winging it realy.

wetwilly824


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wetwilly824
whyskurs wrote:Thanks for the advice halcyon. The white background for the shirt was a dumb error but I think I got everything else to specifications. The jpgs just came out badly compared to my design file in my opinion.

If you don't mind, what programs do you use or know other members use? I did this on CorelDRAW which is vector-based and I'm afraid that might cause problems. I couldn't figure out how to layer based on color so I moved it into adobe illustrator ( which i've no idea how to use) and layered it there. However instead of one color on one layer I had to break up say the layer with orange into other layers based on fore and background object placement. Do you know or suspect if that will cause a problem?

I realy don't know what I'm doing here. Just winging it realy.



Version 2 now up. Vote for it.

4/26/2007 Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
4/17/2007 Delphi USB 2.0 Lighted Cable 4Pack
7/12/2006 Random koi
6/14/2006 Gyration Ultra Compact Keyboard Suite
5/31/2006 iRobot Roomba Sage with Convenience Pack (4110)
5/13/2006 BellSouth Pro 7 mile GMRS/FRS Radio 2 Pack w/Charger

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mjc613 wrote:I'm guessing that the prospector you are looking for is here:
http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/9193



I'm pretty sure it was tgentry's prospector being referred to.

kennube


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennube

Well, I like it.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Can someone fill me in on this? On the derby page, where it shows all the submissions, designer names are not listed. All you people who think that Cho designs are getting votes simply because of the designer name - how do they figure it's Cho's in the first place? Is your hypothesis that people click on each submission, looking for Cho's name? That makes no sense to me - people click onto derby entries because the design detail shows something interesting. Good artwork draws people in - not a name.

Furthermore, while many people may go to the individual shirt pages to take a look at the shirt comps and perhaps leave a comment, most voters probably wouldn't be bothered with that. They'll go to the derby page, scan through the thumbnails and vote directly on that page - who wants to wait for another page to load?

Regarding this entry in particular - I don't like this as much as Treacherous Waters, but I understand the appeal of it - cow-tipping is a funny (and cruel? XP) subject. As for clarity, I don't think a title is necessary to understand what is going on, but maybe that's just me.

Cho - I wish you luck!



well, gee, most of us hope that you will look at the full sized entry page before voting. and even more simple, Cho's designs stand out as his, not just because of the good quality, but because he always colors the darkest lines the same hue as the shirt color, and doesn't outline his objects, and in general they don't have much contrast, as well as being quite smooth vector lines. I can't always pick them out any more, because a few other designers have been using a similar style, but it is not difficult.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Josephus wrote:Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!



Because Edgar is awesome.. that's why. BAAAAA!!

cgrein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgrein
Re: Skydiving



Thanks guys!
Next time I'll enter earlier...

syntheticmessiah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages syntheticmessiah
Re: Chaotic Gears of life (Chaos Star)




Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated!

QuigglyPhD


quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

Always dig your art dude. Keep 'em coming. I'm still working on cleaning up my final designs too, so I know what it feels like to submit even though it probably won't win.

whyskurs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
Re: Hamster Gear Train



Thanks for the votes. However please note that this version is on a white shirt. The brown shirt is Hamster Gear Train V.2. I may also have to resubmit this one as well.

QuigglyPhD


quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
Re: Gravity Discovers Newton



Honestly, I love the fact that Cho is a great designer (it makes everyone else have to work that much harder), but he should probably just be a commissioned artist for Woot. It seems like he's been winning almost every week. And yes, I'm totally jealous because he is freakin awesome. It's just, if you're winning every week then you're not letting new talent even have a chance at getting their designs made. Money aside, I would love to see artists like sokowa have their designs printed, but their designs are passed up almost always by Cho. Again, the art is awesome and I'm not bashing cho at all, but give him one piece a week on regular shirt.woot. People will buy it regardless if it's a derby winner or not. and he'd make $52K a year regularly.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Figit090 wrote:no totally, it is funny not even really knowing what it is, I was just wondering if there was some meaning behind it i missed, i've learned about some interesting things from shirts on this site....



your designs aren't all that either..

Edit: My snide comment was directed to Figit, and not to HGF.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Skydiving



Love it, GMV.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
mia3mom wrote:I like the orange better myself. it feels more like he fell on something hard - the green feels like he fell onto grass.

very cool concept, either way. were you inspired by your own experience, or did you see someone face plant recently?



I got these skateboarders outside my window that do all sorts of tricks (attempt at least) on the stairs nearby. So I was inspired by them. The wipeout, well, that's a concoction but I've fell on my face a few times to know that it hurts pretty bad. And I loved the arched back look. Can't believe this is not up in the top 20 though... I worked hard on getting the look right. Sigh.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Orange crash!



C'mon folks! Can I get this at least into the top 100???

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: pocket racers


Thumbs up on the crazy concept, keep going with funny ideas like this. just needs a little polish, but that'll come the longer you keep at it.
1.) The guy in the pocket isn't lined up correctly
2.) The guy on the left side is coming out of the tube in an unrealistic way
3.) Maybe adding a specular shine to the tube to sell the idea a little better?
Just a few things to look out for.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Teleportation



That's a really cool effect! Well done.

Galenthegreat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Galenthegreat

I guess I can kind of see why this may be vulgar, but seriously, not many people take it that way.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Rocket Rodeo



Love it. You have great skills and concepts, don't give up easily because you're "losing" to designs that the crowd here decides they like better.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
brizz wrote:as i suspected, the zelda shirt winning will now inspire everyone to try and make a shirt of their favorite game while skirting copyrights. not a good precedent at all. And it's going to get worse before woot finally lays the hammer down - which they will have to do at some point....



Thanks for trying to help get this votes by starting an argument, but I think it's too late.

ejseader


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
br3ds0x wrote:No idea. I wasn't around for that one.



Ah, in that case - this is either a "not original artwork," or "a similar shirt already exists at..." classification. :-)

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
QuigglyPhD wrote:Honestly, I love the fact that Cho is a great designer (it makes everyone else have to work that much harder), but he should probably just be a commissioned artist for Woot. It seems like he's been winning almost every week. And yes, I'm totally jealous because he is freakin awesome. It's just, if you're winning every week then you're not letting new talent even have a chance at getting their designs made. Money aside, I would love to see artists like sokowa have their designs printed, but their designs are passed up almost always by Cho. Again, the art is awesome and I'm not bashing cho at all, but give him one piece a week on regular shirt.woot. People will buy it regardless if it's a derby winner or not. and he'd make $52K a year regularly.



Dr. Quiggly, I think you are on to something. What if woot labelled Thurs. as Cho shirt day? Or better yet Featured Artist shirt day - to give a chance to WOW artists from the previous derbies like Jimiyo, Edgar, KidGrenouille, just to name a few, as well. That person would get advance notice of the next week's theme, and their shirt would introduce it - BUT it would be a teaser. The theme would still be announced Thurs at noon, but there would be a clue 12 hours prior because the Featured Artist's shirt would be that theme too.

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: Hamster Gear Train



There seriously needs to be a rule about having "2 versions" of a shirt. The design is nice and all, but do you really need to submit 2 shirt colors to the derby? Really pointless, and it just ends up showing your lack of design dedication. One, and only one color shirt design is enough IMO. You should feel most comfortable with 1 shirt color, and you should go with that one and stick to it.

2 cents DONE

enin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin
Re: Think Fast



excellent design and rendering!

whyskurs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
Discobiscuits wrote:There seriously needs to be a rule about having "2 versions" of a shirt. The design is nice and all, but do you really need to submit 2 shirt colors to the derby? Really pointless, and it just ends up showing your lack of design dedication. One, and only one color shirt design is enough IMO. You should feel most comfortable with 1 shirt color, and you should go with that one and stick to it.

2 cents DONE



Actually I submitted this one first and the design was supposed to be on a brown shirt. I'd just loaded the wrong shirt comp. But when I resubmitted the correct version no one voted for it so I took that to mean the white background was preferred so I left both up.

Besides I've been told if the shirt comp and design detail don't match the design will be rejected. Both most likely will since this is my first design and submission.

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
Re: Hamster Gear Train



In the first 24 hours after a submission, you can click the little X in the corner and remove your own submission.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Josephus wrote:I'm pretty sure it was tgentry's prospector being referred to.



OH!!!!! I profusely apologize to TG and the person looking for his shirt! Totally slipped my mind. =(

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

In fog, out fog, in fog, out fog
I Should have done the royal blue! I SHOULD HAVE DONE THE ROYAL BLUE! I could have been a contenda . . Years from now, when I'm finally comited I'll be rocking in the corner 24/7 "baby blue . . . .baaaaby blue . . . "

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
2thFairy wrote:Because Edgar is awesome.. that's why. BAAAAA!!



I think Josephus was pointing out that sheep-like people are not able to comprehend Edgar's work, 2th. I do not think he was slamming it.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mjc613 wrote:I think Josephus was pointing out that sheep-like people are not able to comprehend Edgar's work, 2th. I do not think he was slamming it.



thanks. If I got to choose any other designer who's shirt I want printed, without seeing it ahead of time, it would be Edgar.
hands down, the most interesting designs here, every week he enters.

whyskurs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whyskurs
thatrobert wrote:In the first 24 hours after a submission, you can click the little X in the corner and remove your own submission.



Thanks for the info. I never even noticed the x. Since the brown has overtaken the screw-up I might as well.

Sorry for the (likely very few) people who voted for the white tee.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Josephus wrote:thanks. If I got to choose any other designer who's shirt I want printed, without seeing it ahead of time, it would be Edgar.
hands down, the most interesting designs here, every week he enters.


I think woot should have an Edgar week (or at least the 4 non-derby shirts of a week).

Since woot voters are not a accurate predictor of the woot shopper, I think it would be a welcome change to those who just show up to buy and then have to see weird things like 1eye finkster.