bobbymon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbymon
Re: Bad Cow Disease

I dont know how to use the templates...any help would be greatly appreciated.

yadude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yadude
Re: Motion Unhindered

i'd kill for this shirt to win. i love everything about it

bobbymon

Re: Ketchup

i need help using the templates. I dont know how...any help?

FearTheGorgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
Re: Army in my Pocket Version 2

It's a shame this will probably get printed. It's poorly drawn and makes an ugly shirt. It looks like it was done with a mouse in MSPaint. The parachuting guys are just mirrored images of each other - very lazy. Some of it is shaded and some of it not shaded. The pocket looks fake and too small. The characters should be casting shadows on the shirt for full effect. It's not even an original idea, someone else already did it in another derby. This is what's wrong with the derby.

illushin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illushin
Re: Super Turtle

Good luck with the baby thing today. Got my vote for support. I like the shirt too.

Perque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Perque
Re: pop that wheelie

I'm kinda suprised the text is not getting dinged...maybe because it is backward?

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: Treacherous Waters v.2

This is the kind of shirt I watch for on this site, since I'm in the post-40-year-old group. I don't care for zombies, I'm not a huge fan of most video game-based designs, and I don't wear shirts with cartoons, skulls, human-like animals, sight gags, dark, morose colors, or vampires driving racecars, except as sleep shirts if I get one in a random shirt sale.

This is artful, well-drawn, beautiful, and suitable for wearing outside the house. It's fine for a casual Friday at work or the company picnic or for doing errands on a Saturday. I bought Koi Fish because it's fine art and I'm proud to wear it, and it gets many compliments. If this one makes the top 3, I'll be adding a second one to my collection of top faves. Good job.

easeandgrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
geekfactor12 wrote:I dunno, this artist doesn't mind seeing multiple wins- I think artists like Cho, Gentry, Fablefire and Sokowa (among many others, of course) do amazing work, and I love wearing their shirts. The only thing that hurts my morale, personally, is when terrible designs or concepts beat me. Being beaten by great work energizes me, because it helps me see what is possible in the medium. I don't like the idea of Woot creating any new rules that could limit the quality of entries we have to choose from when we vote, and that's how I feel a rule change would affect the derby for me.

(ps- I'm a libra too!)

Me too! Libras rule!

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
eHalcyon wrote:Can someone fill me in on this? On the derby page, where it shows all the submissions, designer names are not listed. All you people who think that Cho designs are getting votes simply because of the designer name - how do they figure it's Cho's in the first place? Is your hypothesis that people click on each submission, looking for Cho's name? That makes no sense to me - people click onto derby entries because the design detail shows something interesting. Good artwork draws people in - not a name.

Furthermore, while many people may go to the individual shirt pages to take a look at the shirt comps and perhaps leave a comment, most voters probably wouldn't be bothered with that. They'll go to the derby page, scan through the thumbnails and vote directly on that page - who wants to wait for another page to load?

Regarding this entry in particular - I don't like this as much as Treacherous Waters, but I understand the appeal of it - cow-tipping is a funny (and cruel? XP) subject. As for clarity, I don't think a title is necessary to understand what is going on, but maybe that's just me.

Cho - I wish you luck!

One could also just go to Cho's page on ShirtDerbyStats and always know what shirts he has in the derby.

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
mjc613 wrote:I think woot should have an Edgar week (or at least the 4 non-derby shirts of a week).

Since woot voters are not a accurate predictor of the woot shopper, I think it would be a welcome change to those who just show up to buy and then have to see weird things like 1eye finkster.

If anything, the Woot Shopper is less discerning than the Woot Voter. Edgar's one daily print sold pretty badly. I think it is mostly the other artists that like Edgar's stuff -- the typical buyer/voter is mostly looking for the joke.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: pocket racers

You should really keep your D20 shape for later.. with all the geeks that roam these halls, I think D20's are sure to be a winrar =D

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

ckpete2887

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckpete2887
SydneyB wrote:Oh, so beautiful!!

I liked many others in this week's derby, but (sorry guys) this one is by far my favorite!

If it does not get printed, please let me know if you will be selling it on your own. I would really buy one.

Ditto. I would really like to buy this one. Let us know if you have it printed somewhere else. It is absolutely beautiful.

suzyottomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
tgentry wrote:I'm glad I clicked on this one. Very nice work.

Ditto, I'm afraid a lot of people don't look beyond the thumbnail.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
QuigglyPhD wrote:Always dig your art dude. Keep 'em coming. I'm still working on cleaning up my final designs too, so I know what it feels like to submit even though it probably won't win.

Thanks I'll keep plugging away at it!

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
bobbymon wrote:i need help using the templates. I dont know how...any help?

well first of all, it looks like you have gradients. I would make this w/out gradients.

I use a program called Inkscape and MS Paint to do my drawings. I usually take a screen shot of the PDF template, (button on the keyboard) paste it in paint, change colors, then drop that in Inkscape and make a bitmap tracing of it. Sometimes I change colors in Inkscape. Then i do my artwork and put it on top of the template.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

(woot can't print gradients, forgot to mention that's why you dont want to use them.)

kmonforto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmonforto

clever!!

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts
Re: Hamster Gear Train V.2

I like it-color and idea. Wish this had been entered earlier.

bobbymon

Figit090 wrote:well first of all, it looks like you have gradients. I would make this w/out gradients.

I use a program called Inkscape and MS Paint to do my drawings. I usually take a screen shot of the PDF template, (button on the keyboard) paste it in paint, change colors, then drop that in Inkscape and make a bitmap tracing of it. Sometimes I change colors in Inkscape. Then i do my artwork and put it on top of the template.

thats awesome man. thanks so much. Im gonna try all that!

crap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crap
mjc613 wrote:Dr. Quiggly, I think you are on to something. What if woot labelled Thurs. as Cho shirt day? Or better yet Featured Artist shirt day - to give a chance to WOW artists from the previous derbies like Jimiyo, Edgar, KidGrenouille, just to name a few, as well. That person would get advance notice of the next week's theme, and their shirt would introduce it - BUT it would be a teaser. The theme would still be announced Thurs at noon, but there would be a clue 12 hours prior because the Featured Artist's shirt would be that theme too.

Hmm what if the quality of work slips once Prof. Cho gets his tenure because he doesnt have to answer to ANYONE anymore. Thats like getting immunity on Top Chef, or Project Runway. Maybe we will get unlimited doses of penguins being greedy, penguins flying, penguins playing nintendo every single week

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

Love the idea Surprised this wasn't posted sooner. The concept is perfect for "motion".
Not really sure what color shirt that is . . . I really like that color though.

RussianPhysicsGuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RussianPhysicsGuy
zbuechler wrote:Woot! 98th! Keep the votes coming! This is my favorite by far!

It's dropped from 96th back down to 104th!

I know this design is better than that, although I hate to sound conceited! One more day left, vote vote vote! Unicorns: CHARGE!!!

jbedwar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
illushin wrote:Good luck with the baby thing today. Got my vote for support. I like the shirt too.

Thanks so much ... He was born this morning at 9:29am Central. 10 pounds 2 ounces!!!! Big sucker.
He and the momma are doing good.
Thanks again everyone

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
jbedwar1 wrote: 10 pounds 2 ounces!!!!

Ooof! Your poor wife! Congrats!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

If you intended the design to be on the brown shirt, you should know that none of the black lines will show up. See this week's derby thread for pictures/details.

swedishchef1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swedishchef1
AttilaTheMom wrote:I really wish this snail had racing stripes...

Heehee -- I tried to give him some hotrod flames on his shell, but it wasn't working with the rocket flames. Stripes would have been a good idea.

swedishchef1

He's so happy!

swedishchef1

I thought about doing a more modern-design version of my idea -- I'm glad someone else tried it. Great minds think alike!

Rocket Snail

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
jbedwar1 wrote:Thanks so much ... He was born this morning at 9:29am Central. 10 pounds 2 ounces!!!! Big sucker.
Thanks again everyone

Congratulations! How exciting!!

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Discobiscuits wrote:There seriously needs to be a rule about having "2 versions" of a shirt. The design is nice and all, but do you really need to submit 2 shirt colors to the derby? Really pointless, and it just ends up showing your lack of design dedication. One, and only one color shirt design is enough IMO. You should feel most comfortable with 1 shirt color, and you should go with that one and stick to it.

2 cents DONE

[EDIT] Doh, responded before I continued scrolling to find these thoughts were already addressed by the designer... [END EDIT]

I initially thought the resub was due to confusion between the thumb and the white shirt, but then I saw that the white shirt was intentional, which would usually get rejected for the confusion... I agree on the commit to your shirt color comments.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

skiboyjake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiboyjake
Re: city in motion

anybody think i'll get 500+ votes by end of voting period? hahaha

vote fast!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: busy bee

Very nice.

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Scribble/Erase

I really like this design; simple yet involved..

RussianPhysicsGuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RussianPhysicsGuy
Re: Chinchilla Launch

This is one of my favorites, just look at how happy those guys are!

SundbergRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SundbergRy

I think you're being a little too critical. Obviously people like it because it is in the top four. If you don't like it then just don't buy and stop posting negative comments.

TravelingKailey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TravelingKailey
Re: Playful Puppy

Cute!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
jbedwar1 wrote:Thanks so much ... He was born this morning at 9:29am Central. 10 pounds 2 ounces!!!! Big sucker.
Thanks again everyone

woo-hoo! Congratulations! Glad they're doing well.

Now get off the computer and pamper the momma for the next few years. (j/k, mostly)

from a momma of 3, who weighed 7, 9, and 8 lbs respectively. First kids in my husband's family to be under 10 lbs.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD
Barbequepork wrote:What if you drew it with the same poses but a different character entirely? Like a monkey or something....

Probably could have done that...maybe for another entry another day

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: Flight

Looks kind of like a Nike trademarked thing.

Carpe shirtem!

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
artulo wrote:Love it. You have great skills and concepts, don't give up easily because you're "losing" to designs that the crowd here decides they like better.

"The Crowd" buys the shirts here, incase anyone was wondering. Not being mean. but the shirts that are chosen USUALLY sell out.

Well there is always next year....