tomaew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomaew
Snapster wrote:I would guess that the 1500 quantity setting is an error and this sale may reopen a bit later in the morning. Shirt team will make that call though.



Sale is back up. There are 500 more shirts for those who can get them.

lobomute


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lobomute
JadenKale wrote:It's called being savvy. They will run anywhere from 1500-2000 shirts on a first day run. They gage how well they do with all their little meters and whatnot. The point of the shirt on a limited first run print is that if it does well, it'll sell out fast causing more people to look around the next day and purchase the shirt at $15 a piece.

Shirt.woot is set up just like woot.com, and sellout.woot in the respect that it is 1 deal a day and they leave the info up til the next midnight sale item - sold out or not. It's a supply and demand thing. People who want the shirt badly enough will stay up and watch for the shirt (especially when you as a consumer get to vote on the shirt during a derby and derby shirts are listed Friday - Sunday at midnight). Those who really want it but didn't stay up like those who really wanted it, will have to pick it up the next night at midnight. They ARE catering to supply and demand, otherwise this wouldn't be working for so long.

Selling them at $15 does two-fold. 1, it causes you to really watch for designs and try and buy them right away. 2, having it at $15 allows the designers to get a nice cut per shirt sold. Depending on the situation, the designer can make either $1 or $2 per shirt sold making for a hefty purse come the end of it's full run.

Don't hate the players, hate the game. They really DO know how to play the system to make you buy them the day after they sell out.

as it is, this should have probably been a 2000 shirt run but was misposted. We'll see later as to that status.



Again, I know I'm not the only person who will not pay $15 bucks for something someone else paid only $10 for. Some of these shirts are a killer deal at 10 bucks. In fact, I'd probably buy a shirt or 2 a week if they weren't sold out by the time I arrive at work at 7 am. I know I am not alone in my unwillingness to spend 15 bucks for a woot shirt, so it is not just my 10 bucks that woot is losing.

And before anyone suggests that I stay up till midnight, I wake up at 4:30 am to get to work and won't stay up that late. Woot will should recognize they have working professionals with money that are aware of their site, and cater to them a bit more, unless making more money is perceived as a bad thing by the folks at woot.

lobomute


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lobomute
sidecarsally wrote:Yesterday's shirt wasn't sold out until at least 10am-11am here in Michigan. I would know because I bought mine at 8:30am



You would think woot would be more sensitive towards atleast their own time zone. I'm in Dallas. They are too.

Snapster


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
lobomute wrote:Anyone else think Shirt.Woot is being kinda.... Dumb? ATLEAST the last 2 shirts have sold out before 8 am... and it’s listed until midnight... Perhaps they should order more than 1500 shirts initially since their market/audience/following is growing steadily?

I know you can order a shirt for $15 bucks a day or two later... But I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that won't pay $15 bucks for something other people got for $10.

Seems like basic economics to me... you know? Supply and demand? Demand increases, so supply should too? Because if it doesn't, Woot will become another textbook case of missed opportunity, and will be put under by another company that recognizes this opportunity, takes Woot's idea, and improves upon it.



Your energy is applauded, but your observations fall pretty short. Shirt.woot is possibly the only true "print to order" screen print shop in the world. We don't "order" shirts. We have a certain amount of capacity, which we've tripled since launch and continue to improve on.

Using your "basic" argument, since supply is indeed scarce, we should raise pricing to meet demand.

edit: In otherwords if I walk upstairs, our entire shirt team is printing the shirts you are ordering right now. They'd hope to finish today to ship these orders on time and then they get caught up on any looming shortages from the friends link sales. Each design takes over an hour to set up equipment for, so shuffling between designs is quite tricky.

monkeypye


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeypye

YAY YAY YAY!
I got one!

Love the design and the colors!

Maikell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maikell

I really need that Unicorn shirt from yesterday...Anyone know how I can get it???
I've tried the 2nd day website but it's not listed

HELP!!!

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Snapster wrote:Your energy is applauded, but your observations fall pretty short. Shirt.woot is possibly the only true "print to order" screen print shop in the world. We don't "order" shirts. We have a certain amount of capacity, which we've tripled since launch and continue to improve on.

Using your "basic" argument, since supply is indeed scarce, we should raise pricing to meet demand.

edit: In otherwords if I walk upstairs, our entire shirt team is printing the shirts you are ordering right now. They'd hope to finish today to ship these orders on time and then they get caught up on any looming shortages from the friends link sales. Each design takes over an hour to set up equipment for, so shuffling between designs is quite tricky.



Well said Snapster

lobomute


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lobomute
Snapster wrote:Your energy is applauded, but your observations fall pretty short. Shirt.woot is possibly the only "print to order" screen print shop in the world. We don't "order" shirts. We have a certain amount of capacity, which we've tripled since launch and continue to improve on.

Using your "basic" argument, since supply is indeed scarce, we should raise pricing to meet demand.



Raising price is definitely an option, although you'd upset deal seekers that frequent your site. I wasn't aware that woot printed their shirts. However, I can't imagine it not being worth woot's while to invest in whatever capitol is necessary to kick out more shirts.

Regardless, I remain eager to purchase shirts like the Fat Unicorn. Using your argument, raise the price if you wish... It would make sense. However, I'll remain unwilling to part with an extra 5 bucks.

Jeremy82465


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeremy82465

I miss shirts that were so good that they would sell out in the first second or third hour in the latest winning the derby. That used to be how you guaged how good a shirt design was, not by the art necessarily but by how well it sold. I appreciate Cho for his artistic ability but not on his concepts. They suck. Hell the unicorn from yesterday sold out faster, that is just pitiful. I am usually anti-conspiracy theorist, but I am going with them on this one, something is going on with the voting that just isnt kosher.

I miss the days of Tgentry who was a great artist and an almost equally talented comedian. I can only hope great people like this shine through in the future.

Snapster


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
lobomute wrote:Raising price is definitely an option, although you'd upset deal seekers that frequent your site. I wasn't aware that woot printed their shirts. However, I can't imagine it not being worth woot's while to invest in whatever capitol is necessary to kick out more shirts.

Regardless, I remain eager to purchase shirts like the Fat Unicorn. Using your argument, raise the price if you wish... It would make sense. However, I'll remain unwilling to part with an extra 5 bucks.



You might get some perspective here:

http://shirt.woot.com/blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=2732

We've doubled equipment and have 5 times larger staff than was roadmapped 6 months ago thanks to the strong support of shirt.woot by everyone.

I made no argument that we wanted to raise prices. clearly we don't - that would suck. the result of that inaction is what you see here - initial print-to-order supply lagging first day demand. Whether supply increases at a faster pace than demand is part of the drama.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
lobomute wrote:Again, I know I'm not the only person who will not pay $15 bucks for something someone else paid only $10 for. Some of these shirts are a killer deal at 10 bucks. In fact, I'd probably buy a shirt or 2 a week if they weren't sold out by the time I arrive at work at 7 am. I know I am not alone in my unwillingness to spend 15 bucks for a woot shirt, so it is not just my 10 bucks that woot is losing.

And before anyone suggests that I stay up till midnight, I wake up at 4:30 am to get to work and won't stay up that late. Woot will should recognize they have working professionals with money that are aware of their site, and cater to them a bit more, unless making more money is perceived as a bad thing by the folks at woot.



Then why not log in in the morning since you're up already? Walk in, load up the site, and get dressed. When I miss a night's printing, I do just that and check while I'm getting ready.

They aren't going to offer all the shirts at $10 all the time. They'd loose way too much money overall since we, as artists, get a cut. Your math in the scheme of things is subtly flawed. They pay anywhere from $250 - $1000 for a first night run, then $1-$2 per shirt after the first day's $10 shirt price (and the amount paid out is in direct relation to how popular the design is, the contract signed, or if they've won a derby).

If they were to cater to more 'working individuals' and ran the new shirts at a noon turn over as you suggest, they'd have server shutdowns and issues keeping things from running (it would be worse than a wootoff in most cases) especially if the woot items and the shirt design were all very desirable.

parkermc


quality posts: 23 Private Messages parkermc

Hopefully this color combo (blue/blue) will print better than Patriot Wings (gray/gray).

I'll stick with my "Lady Out of Water," thanks.

crap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crap
JadenKale wrote:2000 shirts - 1100+ voters who wanted it - X number of doubles and triples purchased - anyone who saw it tonight and decided they must have it= sold out.


really not hard. Cho's good at what he does. I'm fairly sure he got 2nd place too.



Not according to shirtderbystats he is in a dead heat for 3rd

beautyofmachines


quality posts: 7 Private Messages beautyofmachines

I'd be totally down if it weren't for the cheesy lookin dude running away.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
carp wrote:Not according to shirtderbystats he is in a dead heat for 3rd



I can speak from experience on that and say that I do NOT trust the stats that he has on the site. I may appreciate what he does to educate anyone who's looking for numbers and stats, but unless it's first place, very rarely:1. are the numbers on point, and 2. is the shirt order correct.

lobomute


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lobomute
JadenKale wrote:

If they were to cater to more 'working individuals' and ran the new shirts at a noon turn over as you suggest, they'd have server shutdowns and issues keeping things from running (it would be worse than a wootoff in most cases) especially if the woot items and the shirt design were all very desirable.



When did I suggest anything about running new shirts at noon? When did I even say noon? I think I suggested (in a rather insulting fashion) they simply print more shirts, and I made that suggestion prior to knowing they printed their own shirts, and are doing so at full capacity.

Snapster enlightened me. I look forward to the day their printing capabilities will allow me to log on at my leisure and buy a shirt. I also applaud shirt.woot for not raising the price since I come here looking for a bargain. However, for now... I am unable to applaud while wearing a $10 Fat Unicorn shirt.

RandomHandle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomHandle

I'm so stoked for this shirt. It was sold out when I woke up in the am; but thanks to the 1500 psych out, I was able to get one when I got to work!

Thanks Shirt.Woot!

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
Jeremy82465 wrote:I miss shirts that were so good that they would sell out in the first second or third hour in the latest winning the derby. That used to be how you guaged how good a shirt design was, not by the art necessarily but by how well it sold. I appreciate Cho for his artistic ability but not on his concepts. They suck. Hell the unicorn from yesterday sold out faster, that is just pitiful. I am usually anti-conspiracy theorist, but I am going with them on this one, something is going on with the voting that just isnt kosher.

I miss the days of Tgentry who was a great artist and an almost equally talented comedian. I can only hope great people like this shine through in the future.




I agree... if there is a derby shirt I really want, I'll stay up for it. I still expect them to sell out quickly. The fact that this shirt is a *nearly* identical resub from a few weeks ago, should also mean some history and following I would think. But alas, no such result. In my mind there is no excuse for it to not be sold out already.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Tgentry is still around [EDIT: he did the cheetah and sloth I was pimping in my sig]. Sadly he's just not getting as much love right now with everyone on a Cho kick for some reason. I acknowledge that he does some great stuff - I certainly love some of them - but this week was rediculous. This resub, and that mammoth tipping...? Come on...

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
JadenKale wrote:I can speak from experience on that and say that I do NOT trust the stats that he has on the site. I may appreciate what he does to educate anyone who's looking for numbers and stats, but unless it's first place, very rarely:1. are the numbers on point, and 2. is the shirt order correct.



But Jaden, Cho's second shirt was only fogged for 3 minutes at the cut-off... so seems like it was definitely fighting for 4th, maybe 3rd if lucky and got several votes in those last few minutes.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
sailstud25 wrote:I agree... if there is a derby shirt I really want, I'll stay up for it. I still expect them to sell out quickly. The fact that this shirt is a *nearly* identical resub from a few weeks ago, should also mean some history and following I would think. But alas, no such result. In my mind there is no excuse for it to not be sold out already.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Tgentry is still around [EDIT: he did the cheetah and sloth I was pimping in my sig]. Sadly he's just not getting as much love right now with everyone on a Cho kick for some reason. I acknowledge that he does some great stuff - I certainly love some of them - but this week was rediculous. This resub, and that mammoth tipping...? Come on...



Don't forget the Newton one that was also in the fog at the end of the voting. He had 3 designs bouncing around in the fog this week. And Gentry's still around... he had a resub this week (if I remember correctly) of his seal hunting for food and he did another one as well.

Organizedshelf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Organizedshelf

TOO much like lady in the water

robyn1971


quality posts: 0 Private Messages robyn1971

Somewhere I thought that you couldn't re-submit entries from previous derbies. I must be mistaken, right? The rules for these things are so darn confusing.

Nice design--not my kind of t-shirt.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

The magic ball is bouncing again - will they print another 500?

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16

I'm still on the fence as to whether I want this. I guess I don't have long to decide since the button's bouncing.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Maikell wrote:I really need that Unicorn shirt from yesterday...Anyone know how I can get it???
I've tried the 2nd day website but it's not listed

HELP!!!


This link should work.
I went to "the blog" (see the top of your screen), scrolled down to the entry for the shirt you wanted, clicked on the link to the discussion, and then found the link in the 'Sad Rat" post.

Every shirt has a post about with a picture of a Sad Rat, with the link to buy the shirt that will work after a new shirt is posted. But in most cases, this will only work for a few weeks.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
TurboGraphx16 wrote:I'm still on the fence as to whether I want this. I guess I don't have long to decide since the button's bouncing.


You don't have long if you want to buy it for $10. If you wait, it will still be available, but for $15.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
mjc613 wrote:You don't have long if you want to buy it for $10. If you wait, it will still be available, but for $15.



l o l it's sold out already (again). I believe they will have to wait

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
mjc613 wrote:You don't have long if you want to buy it for $10. If you wait, it will still be available, but for $15.



Yeah, I decided too late. I'm also one of those people who flat out refuses to buy a shirt from Woot! for $15 though, so I guess I'll simply go my life without Treach. Waters. :-)

SpaceJock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpaceJock
Organizedshelf wrote:TOO much like lady in the water



Why do people keep comparing this shirt to Lady in the Water? Quite frankly, the only thing similar is the water for god's sake!

~ Wireless Garden Yada Headset Hub – 2 Pack
~ Razer Diamondback 1600dpi Gaming Mouse (Blue)
~ Steelsound 5H USB V2 Professional Gaming Headset
~ Wowwee Roboquad Interactive Robot
~ Altec Lansing M604 Powered Audio System for Zune
~ Razer Protone m250 Street-Style Clip Earphones x2

TurboGraphx16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TurboGraphx16
SpaceJock wrote:Why do people keep comparing this shirt to Lady in the Water? Quite frankly, the only thing similar is the water for god's sake!



Probably because they were both in the Water Derby, and this is a resub ...

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff

Will this shirt put out fires better than non-water shirts?

Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

You got to sell out twice in one day, Cho.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Turbotuff wrote:Will this shirt put out fires better than non-water shirts?



only on Mac items and accessories.

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
robyn1971 wrote:Somewhere I thought that you couldn't re-submit entries from previous derbies. I must be mistaken, right? The rules for these things are so darn confusing.



my contention exactly, but I'm getting tired of complaining about it... it's not my nature, and probably not influencing woot whatsoever. I agree also the rules are sometimes whimsical.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

SamoaJoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
sailstud25 wrote:my contention exactly, but I'm getting tired of complaining about it... it's not my nature, and probably not influencing woot whatsoever. I agree also the rules are sometimes whimsical.



I agree, it's been argued to death.

It seems the Woot rules only apply when Woot feels the need to apply them, and most of the time those rules don't apply to Cho.

At the end of the day, regardless of my feelings towards Cho, I'm tired of every Derby being cluttered with his designs. I like to see a mix of new designers, but every week this guy is getting one or two shirts printed, and I truly think it's because of his name value.

The Derby loses its purpose when the same guy places week in/week out, especially when it's with shirts that aren't nearly as creative or good as other designs.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

tramunk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tramunk

dang...sold out before i could get on... I really wanted one of these too!

suzyottomatic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
sailstud25 wrote:I agree... if there is a derby shirt I really want, I'll stay up for it. I still expect them to sell out quickly. The fact that this shirt is a *nearly* identical resub from a few weeks ago, should also mean some history and following I would think. But alas, no such result. In my mind there is no excuse for it to not be sold out already.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Tgentry is still around [EDIT: he did the cheetah and sloth I was pimping in my sig]. Sadly he's just not getting as much love right now with everyone on a Cho kick for some reason. I acknowledge that he does some great stuff - I certainly love some of them - but this week was rediculous. This resub, and that mammoth tipping...? Come on...



I'm a big fan of Chos work, but I never vote for something I won't wear, including mammoth tipping and lots of things I don't relate to. I wouldn't have known it was his if not for this thread. It seems it might appeal to the lime and coconut type fans, which was incredibly popular. So why wouldn't mammoth tipping be as well to people who like simple funny shirts? I personally don't believe in any conspiracy theory. By the way I voted for Tgentry because I like shirts with artistic detail, he gets my vote a lot too. Cho wins frequently because he is a prolific and talented artist with a wide range of appeal.

Graye


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Graye
SamoaJoe wrote:I agree, it's been argued to death.

It seems the Woot rules only apply when Woot feels the need to apply them, and most of the time those rules don't apply to Cho.

At the end of the day, regardless of my feelings towards Cho, I'm tired of every Derby being cluttered with his designs. I like to see a mix of new designers, but every week this guy is getting one or two shirts printed, and I truly think it's because of his name value.

The Derby loses its purpose when the same guy places week in/week out, especially when it's with shirts that aren't nearly as creative or good as other designs.



Woot's rules are purposely ambiguous. If you sit and read through them it leave a lot of power to their own decisions, eight of the nine official rules begin with: "We determine."

To say they are showing favoritism can be an observation, but have you actually put together a proof of process? Did you go from Derby #1 until now, noting all rejections, entry removals, and get the exact reason for their decisions?

I won't say that James Cho doesn't have a fan base, but so do other artists.

You have an opinion about the designs or the process involved in what is allowed, and that is your own right. It does not mean you are correct. I have watched several derbies now where designs that, I felt were exceedingly better than the ultimate winners, never made it to print. That does not make their designs better than the winners. It doesn't make the winning designs better. The artwork and designs offer appeals to different people. The ones that can reach out to more people win.

Take Warhol or van Gogh's art. I don't find it appealing. That does not make the artwork any less than another masterwork artist's. Your opinion on what is good and what is not good is nothing I would try to argue with, but do not say that the winners don't deserve it, or that those who didn't win should have won in place of them. There are many great artists here, there are many great designers here as well. Just because you win does not mean you are one of the best, nor does not winning mean that your artwork is necessarily poor.

E.G.
Lime in the Coconut shirt v.s. Death on a Pale Unicorn

Both were winners, both are completely polar styles, both deserved to win.

Nearly every week I notice Sokowa, JamesCho, Zenne, Tgentry, Enin, etc.. submitting awesome designs. Some I would wear on a shirt, some I would rather have as a print. The thing with the derbies is to appeal to the crowd while adhering to the limited/no violence, no sex, etc... That is generally why there is a larger amount of "cute" designs that win. Some artists have honed their skills to appeal to this, some have not. It doesn't lessen anyone's drawing and design skills. Some artists are more attuned to their own area of expertise. I would pit Jimiyo's skill against Cho's in a detailed line collage any day.

The personal attacks against artists that occur on any of these contest sites are just deplorable. -If- there was anything that would make me vote on a design just because of who submitted it, it would be from people purposely bashing that artist just because of their own opinion about what should win. To me, the lack of professionalism displayed by people during the contest is more of a turn off than a poor design. I would rather not vote for a good design from an artist with a poor attitude and likewise I would vote for a lesser design that I found somewhat appealing because of unwarranted attacks on the artist.

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
Irishfury wrote:I want this shirt will it be offered again? I am new to the whole woot process.



You can buy it tomorrow, for $15. Go to the initial page of the thread and find the Sad Rat (you'll know it when you see it!), it should be one of the first replies. These posts are in every shirt thread, and direct you to the second-day sale page.

bigbadblackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigbadblackman
smilyred wrote:this site is like an addiction ive got to be $200 in atleast and i just cant stop



agreed ive purchased 13 shirts in exactly 2months and 3days time.

shirt.woot suppling my wardrobe since 2008