jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

Thanks for the sellout guys, hope you enjoy your shirts.

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
lobomute wrote:Snapster enlightened me. I look forward to the day their printing capabilities will allow me to log on at my leisure and buy a shirt.



I think you misunderstand. This is not likely to happen.

It is very profitable for woot to have a limited run on the first day, and unlimited but higher priced on the second through to reckoning. By making the first day limited, they ensure higher sales--people can't wait around and decide if maybe they want one. If you want a shirt, you know you have to buy it because the possibility of a sell-out is always looming, and no one really WANTS to pay more. I would be quite surprised if woot ever ran more than 3 grand on the first day, and fully expect it to stick at 2000 for a long while.

If, as I think you're implying here, woot ran an unlimited number of shirts the first day, it would be extremely unprofitable in two ways. First, woot loses all the money from people who, unlike you, want shirts enough to pay $15 (which is still less than Threadless or DBH charge for any of their shirts, and I think is a steal). Second, woot loses all the designers who make the bulk of their money from woot through second day sales. We designers get a buck or two for every $15 shirt, and that can add up very quickly if the shirt was popular and sold out early. Designers who sell out quickly are invested in the second day price raise because it makes them the bulk of their money. They would not want a change of format for unlimited first day sales, because they stand to lose quite a lot of cash. If they stopped participating, woot would also potentially lose a lot of cash, in those unsold second day shirts and in the loss of high-selling designers.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this: the money you and others who are unwilling to pay $15 for a high-quality, custom screen printed shirt just because you know other people managed to get a deal might spend and make for woot < the money they are making with their current system.

IWootAll


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IWootAll
jamescho84 wrote:Thanks for the sellout guys, hope you enjoy your shirts.



Thank you for the great design Can't wait to get it.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I'm so happy! Someone got rejected or something and I got one. Weeee! ^_^

EDIT - I'm not happy for the person who lost it but yay for me! Almost missed it because I went for a run this morning without checking... Oops!

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SpaceJock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpaceJock
mihalis aya wrote:I think you misunderstand. This is not likely to happen.

It is very profitable for woot to have a limited run on the first day, and unlimited but higher priced on the second through to reckoning. By making the first day limited, they ensure higher sales--people can't wait around and decide if maybe they want one. If you want a shirt, you know you have to buy it because the possibility of a sell-out is always looming, and no one really WANTS to pay more. I would be quite surprised if woot ever ran more than 3 grand on the first day, and fully expect it to stick at 2000 for a long while.

If, as I think you're implying here, woot ran an unlimited number of shirts the first day, it would be extremely unprofitable in two ways. First, woot loses all the money from people who, unlike you, want shirts enough to pay $15 (which is still less than Threadless or DBH charge for any of their shirts, and I think is a steal). Second, woot loses all the designers who make the bulk of their money from woot through second day sales. We designers get a buck or two for every $15 shirt, and that can add up very quickly if the shirt was popular and sold out early. Designers who sell out quickly are invested in the second day price raise because it makes them the bulk of their money. They would not want a change of format for unlimited first day sales, because they stand to lose quite a lot of cash. If they stopped participating, woot would also potentially lose a lot of cash, in those unsold second day shirts and in the loss of high-selling designers.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this: the money you and others who are unwilling to pay $15 for a high-quality, custom screen printed shirt just because you know other people managed to get a deal might spend and make for woot < the money they are making with their current system.



I'm still confused why some are putting up such a fuss over five extra dollars. It's still a good price for the quality that we get, and quite frankly, it's ONLY five more dollars.

I have a job, and go to college and if I saw a sold out shirt that I really wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down a few extra dollars for it.

~ Wireless Garden Yada Headset Hub – 2 Pack
~ Razer Diamondback 1600dpi Gaming Mouse (Blue)
~ Steelsound 5H USB V2 Professional Gaming Headset
~ Wowwee Roboquad Interactive Robot
~ Altec Lansing M604 Powered Audio System for Zune
~ Razer Protone m250 Street-Style Clip Earphones x2

swissmr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages swissmr



I have a job, and go to college and if I saw a sold out shirt that I really wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down a few extra dollars for it.[/quote]


This is true ...my only gripe is there are about 4 shirts on the reckoning that I want and thats an extra 5+5+5+5 $20 I cant wait till I'm done with college so I dont think this way about money. going from poor student to 80K in about a year i cant wait to be a woot junkie

this is my 2nd shirt cant wait.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SpaceJock wrote:I'm still confused why some are putting up such a fuss over five extra dollars. It's still a good price for the quality that we get, and quite frankly, it's ONLY five more dollars.

I have a job, and go to college and if I saw a sold out shirt that I really wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to throw down a few extra dollars for it.



I'm also laying down an extra $5 for international shipping to begin with. It does add up - it's why I haven't purchased more shirts from the reckoning list yet... like "Plan B".

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

katiethemac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages katiethemac

Well done, Cho! Picked one up as soon as I saw it, congrats on 1st!! =]

katiethemac


quality posts: 0 Private Messages katiethemac
eHalcyon wrote:I'm also laying down an extra $5 for international shipping to begin with. It does add up - it's why I haven't purchased more shirts from the reckoning list yet... like "Plan B".



I know what you mean.. vacuums when stuff sells out before you can get it.

Oh, and I'm totally wearing my Plan B shirt right now, so I felt it was a sign to comment. llo

kreine60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreine60

shucks to be late

boredpnoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages boredpnoy

dang the one night i forget to check woot its a shirt i would buy in a heartbeat dang alcohol last night

Zim1k


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zim1k

Awesome shirt. Good thing I got mine last night.

Dave124


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dave124

Dear Woot,

Thanks for offering the "Treacherous Waters" shirt today. Today, in my home town of San Diego, a man was bitten in half by a shark and died. Coincidence? I think not. Please don't offer any shirts in the near future that involve fire, earthquakes, or a Dodger's Victory. Thank You.

Sincerely,
dave124

Fatal shark attack forces beach closures near San Diego
By ALLISON HOFFMAN – 2 hours ago
SOLANA BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A shark believed to be a great white killed a 66-year-old swimmer with a single, giant bite across both legs Friday as the man trained with a group of triathletes, authorities and witnesses said.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hvS7251oSE-Vw5Lg_LDZo3-lvoBgD9094F2G0

Webfoot08


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Dave124 wrote:Dear Woot,

Thanks for offering the "Treacherous Waters" shirt today. Today, in my home town of San Diego, a man was bitten in half by a shark and died. Coincidence? I think not. Please don't offer any shirts in the near future that involve fire, earthquakes, or a Dodger's Victory. Thank You.

Sincerely,
dave124

Fatal shark attack forces beach closures near San Diego
By ALLISON HOFFMAN – 2 hours ago
SOLANA BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A shark believed to be a great white killed a 66-year-old swimmer with a single, giant bite across both legs Friday as the man trained with a group of triathletes, authorities and witnesses said.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hvS7251oSE-Vw5Lg_LDZo3-lvoBgD9094F2G0



Well that just made me feel urpy.

Webfoot08


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
JadenKale wrote:I think Snapster has the right idea. We'll just wait and see what develops.



You were right. I thought in petty ways waaaay too soon. :-)

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Graye wrote:......lots of stuff deleted to make this post shorter, but are equally true......

The personal attacks against artists that occur on any of these contest sites are just deplorable.
-If- there was anything that would make me vote on a design just because of who submitted it, it would be from people purposely bashing that artist just because of their own opinion about what should win. To me, the lack of professionalism displayed by people during the contest is more of a turn off than a poor design. I would rather not vote for a good design from an artist with a poor attitude and likewise I would vote for a lesser design that I found somewhat appealing because of unwarranted attacks on the artist.



Let your mother know she did a good job. Thank you for your eloquence. You can stay.

Note: bold in post above was added by me.

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
Dave124 wrote:Dear Woot,

Thanks for offering the "Treacherous Waters" shirt today. Today, in my home town of San Diego, a man was bitten in half by a shark and died. Coincidence? I think not. Please don't offer any shirts in the near future that involve fire, earthquakes, or a Dodger's Victory. Thank You.

Sincerely,
dave124

Fatal shark attack forces beach closures near San Diego
By ALLISON HOFFMAN – 2 hours ago
SOLANA BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A shark believed to be a great white killed a 66-year-old swimmer with a single, giant bite across both legs Friday as the man trained with a group of triathletes, authorities and witnesses said.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hvS7251oSE-Vw5Lg_LDZo3-lvoBgD9094F2G0



old news

when have we had an earthquake anytime recently *knocks on wood*
It costs to live in paradise...be glad you live here

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

Woot: The friends link for this shirt does not work ----

ripforeverjoey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ripforeverjoey
jamescho84 wrote:Woot: The friends link for this shirt does not work ----



I noticed this too. I slept through my chance to get it at $10, now I can't even get it at $15. Maybe someone or something is trying to tell me I shouldn't get this shirt...

joelterrific


quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

The sale freaked out, but should be up now: http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=5342

taikuodo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taikuodo

When will this start shipping? =P

dtreichler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtreichler
taikuodo wrote:When will this start shipping? =P


I got my tracking number at about 3AM today. It seems that it left Woot! on Friday afternoon.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

My shirt is on its way now too. It left Woot at 4 yesterday and is now in Dallas for "Sortation".

Everyone, please vote for Edgar's evolution entry in the Motherhood derby!

schadenfreude52


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schadenfreude52

I just got my shirt today in Chicago.

It's nice, but I think the contrast looked much better on my computer screen.

Oh well, such is the nature of Woot!

Shirt.Woot Launch Tee x1
GI Metro Tee x1
Miniature Express Train Set x1
Random Crap x3 (61" TV Inside!!)
Treacherous Waters Tee x1
Able Planet Nc500SC Noise Canceling Headphones x1

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
mjc613 wrote:My shirt is on its way now too. It left Woot at 4 yesterday and is now in Dallas for "Sortation".

Everyone, please vote for Edgar's evolution entry in the Motherhood derby!



My shirt left Dallas 2 hours ago. Shipping info for the shirt is in Houston.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

My shirt is already in WV. I bet it sits there two days, though. Sigh.

Finulanu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Finulanu

Pretty cool shirt. Reminds me of the Lady in the Water shirt.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
mjc613 wrote:My shirt left Dallas 2 hours ago. Shipping info for the shirt is in Houston.


And the shirt arrived yesterday.

I was disappointed that all the fine lines did not show up that well on the shirt. From the distance, you can only see the whitecaps, and the fisherman. The whale is very hard to see. But what is visible is great.

thewronggrape


quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

Got mine. My first impression was that the shirt was much darker than I expected. The lines that make up the waves are a lighter blue than the shirt color, where as if you looked at the graphic that woot had up, those lines are a darker color than the shirt. Also, because the shirt is darker, the fish and the guy don't receive much contrast.

I still like it though. My friend actually prefers it this way over the picture online, saying he likes the way it blends into the shirt.

It's a bit brighter in the picture than it is in real life because of the flash:

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

I'll hve remember to wear my shirt in bright light. It looks much better in the photo.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
thewronggrape wrote:Got mine. My first impression was that the shirt was much darker than I expected. The lines that make up the waves are a lighter blue than the shirt color, where as if you looked at the graphic that woot had up, those lines are a darker color than the shirt. Also, because the shirt is darker, the fish and the guy don't receive much contrast.

I still like it though. My friend actually prefers it this way over the picture online, saying he likes the way it blends into the shirt.

It's a bit brighter in the picture than it is in real life because of the flash:


hawtieeee. Awesome, glad you like it.

thewronggrape


quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
mjc613 wrote:.



I just noticed your signature. I love red shirts. My Treacherous Waters arrived the same day as 3 shirts I bought from BustedTees during their $12 sale. One of them is red and me likey. Appeals to my rather juvenile sense of humor:



If you haven't been, check out BustedTees.com. I only buy during their sales though - gotta save my money for Woot!

wootclark12


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootclark12

Its really dark campared to the picture that was on the website. Still a great shirt

Kaboberts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaboberts

Liked the Woot graphic much better. Without invading my personal space, it is almost impossible to interpret the design. The ink looks like the shirt has been washed a few times and the image is lost. Sorry Woot. This shirt's print quality is not up to your normal standards. Please don't offer fine line images if you can't print them correctly.

auggie24


quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

Someone tell me if I am being too nit-picky here, but I am not at all impressed with the printing of Treacherous Waters.

It looks ok from afar:


However, when you start to look closer, things pop out:

Missing lines:

~and~


Then there is the issue of the underlying white - it pops out almost everywhere on the shirt...


Just a tad bit disappointed that the great artwork was h4x0r3d.

trishlyn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages trishlyn

at first I was a little disappointed in how light the design appeared but I have never had so many compliments on a shirt as I have had with this one. People love how the fisherman and the fish are "hidden" among the waves which made for a surprising new take!
The design hits me a little different than the other picture, (I will try to snap one later) in that the top of the wave hit's just below my chest. I am pretty small and got a woman's medium. I do wish it was up a little higher!

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots

Just got my shirt in today, was VERY disappointed.

The print quality just was not up to par. It robbed the design of a lot. The white layer really bleed through the blue layer, looks very poor quality.

Too bad! I love the design.

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

I also received my shirt today, and quite frankly it looks TERRIBLE! It seems like everyone here who has posted about receiving this shirt is either very disappointed or in some way trying to rationalize that they didn't waste $10 on a really bad printing of a good design.

SasquatchBill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SasquatchBill

Yeah - I got my shirt recently, and the print job seems terrible. Makes me wonder about buying shirts at Woot again. Doesn't seem worth the loss of $10

SasquatchBill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SasquatchBill

I wrote service@woot.com, and they have issued a refund for me.

That's nice. But I still now wonder about the next time I order a detailed print like this... That's too bad.