SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Lots of Hugs!

This is cute! The expressions on their faces are great, and I totally love the colors!!! It would go with just about everything in my wardrobe :D

(BTW, Lil Nessie is my all time favorite ever Woot shirt!!!)

dea007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
Re: Mo-om... he’s squishing me!

Nice Design! So far for me, this derby has been pretty disappointing, I would actually think about buying your shirt for my mom. (I definately wouldn't give her the evolution shirt. She would probably be a bit offended.) Your story is also touching and I wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss. I hope this shirt gets printed.

bluedaisy925

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluedaisy925
Re: Feeding v2

I'm so glad you resubmitted this. I really hope it doesn't get rejected again. I love it. Good luck- you know you have my vote!

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
daedalusknight wrote:Wow... a bunch of criticism now. Some of it pretty nasty too. That’s okay, though. Each person is entitled to her or his own opinion. I guess I ought to address some of the ideas there.

No, I’m not fishing for sympathy votes here. (etc, etc, etc) Heck, I’ll even take requests for designs if you like.

Sorry for the long post, I know a bunch of you haven’t even bothered reading this far, but thanks to those of you who took the time to listen to what I had to say.

i've been designing shirts for a lot of years and it never ceases to amaze me what people like and don't like. I've had designs that i thought were really good that have tanked and ones I thought were poop on toast that sold really well. all you can do is keep plugging. throw enough darts and you're eventually going to hit the bull's eye. you can't blame your design's unpopularity on another design's popularity, because there's no way to predict what's going to strike a chord with the masses.

i'll stop here otherwise i could rant all night about this subject, but to sum up my point in the wise words of my mother "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
daedalusknight wrote:
Sorry for the long post, I know a bunch of you haven’t even bothered reading this far, but thanks to those of you who took the time to listen to what I had to say.

Very well said. I am very impressed with your ability to deal with criticism and negative comments without getting rude.

I love your storytelling with each entry. I'm a writer, and I think about the story for everything. It's great to know what the designer was thinking about when they envisioned their entry, and how the design came into his or her head. While I will happily vote for a cool design, I will "encourage" other family members to vote for a cool design that has a good story behind it as well.

I'm crossing my fingers that some of the shirts I voted for will place this weekend. Maybe it's living as a mom, with my own mom and grandmothers nearby, but this derby was a good one for me as a voter!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
toe2254 wrote:i've been designing shirts for a lot of years and it never ceases to amaze me what people like and don't like. I've had designs that i thought were really good that have tanked and ones I thought were poop on toast that sold really well. all you can do is keep plugging. throw enough darts and you're eventually going to hit the bull's eye. you can't blame your design's unpopularity on another design's popularity, because there's no way to predict what's going to strike a chord with the masses.

i'll stop here otherwise i could rant all night about this subject, but to sum up my point in the wise words of my mother "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I have noticed that people who follow that tripe rarely have anything of worth to say. I prefer "If you can't say something honest..." it gives people something worth hearing, good or bad.

FearTheGorgon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FearTheGorgon
AdderXYU wrote:I have noticed that people who follow that tripe rarely have anything of worth to say. I prefer "If you can't say something honest..." it gives people something worth hearing, good or bad.

I agree (!) I think the sad story is making people shy away from giving honest opinions about this design. Like how most people hate designs in that location, but it was barely mentioned if at all. No one even bothered to ask where the original image came from, but it could have been traced from a copyrighted source. Who knows? It's unfair to other entries that don't have a sad story with them that are fair game.

Boarder88493

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Boarder88493

no worries

AdderXYU

FearTheGorgon wrote:I agree (!) I think the sad story is making people shy away from giving honest opinions about this design. Like how most people hate designs in that location, but it was barely mentioned if at all. No one even bothered to ask where the original image came from, but it could have been traced from a copyrighted source. Who knows? It's unfair to other entries that don't have a sad story with them that are fair game.

no one bothered to ask that question because it looks like it was done by the artist. though i actually do agree to a degree about the sympathy vote.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

meh

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

FearTheGorgon

AdderXYU wrote:no one bothered to ask that question because it looks like it was done by the artist. though i actually do agree to a degree about the sympathy vote.

Since the artist seems to be stepping around the issue and not answering, I'm beginning to wonder about that. I'm not saying it isn't from the artist, but asking never hurt.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
FearTheGorgon wrote:Since the artist seems to be stepping around the issue and not answering, I'm beginning to wonder about that. I'm not saying it isn't from the artist, but asking never hurt.

Sorry... I was busy elsewhere. I thought it was pretty obvious that I drew it. It's not live traced or anything like that. I looked at some photos of kittens while drawing... even measured them for proportions... does that offend?

For the record, I'll be out at a job all day tomorrow, well into the evening. Forgive me if I don't respond to any questions in a timely manner.

mguinther

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mguinther
Re: Unconditional Love

I wish this had more votes so it could win!

daedalusknight

dea007 wrote:Nice Design! So far for me, this derby has been pretty disappointing, I would actually think about buying your shirt for my mom. (I definately wouldn't give her the evolution shirt. She would probably be a bit offended.) Your story is also touching and I wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss. I hope this shirt gets printed.

Thanks for your support.

daedalusknight

toe2254 wrote:you can't blame your design's unpopularity on another design's popularity, because there's no way to predict what's going to strike a chord with the masses.

Such is the world of designing, I'm afraid. Just got to keep on doing what you love and hope for the best.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
AdderXYU wrote:I have noticed that people who follow that tripe rarely have anything of worth to say. I prefer "If you can't say something honest..." it gives people something worth hearing, good or bad.

actually, i prefer the term "constructive". too many people say they're being honest when all they're really being is rude.

daedalusknight

mia3mom wrote:Very well said. I am very impressed with your ability to deal with criticism and negative comments without getting rude.

Thank you kindly. I try my best.

mia3mom wrote: I love your storytelling with each entry. I'm a writer, and I think about the story for everything. It's great to know what the designer was thinking about when they envisioned their entry, and how the design came into his or her head. While I will happily vote for a cool design, I will "encourage" other family members to vote for a cool design that has a good story behind it as well.

Glad to hear it. I think most of the Wooting public never even reads the stories, or even reads the boards at all. It's an art competition and people just go for the art they want on a shirt.

mia3mom wrote:I'm crossing my fingers that some of the shirts I voted for will place this weekend. Maybe it's living as a mom, with my own mom and grandmothers nearby, but this derby was a good one for me as a voter!

Like I said, this week's the week for that. Next week... who knows? :-)

piezo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piezo
folkkevi wrote:there is a difference between depicting a woman, and creating a shirt meant to emphasis the breasts of a woman who is wearing it. This is why woot rejects shirts with two of something in the chest region, they just don't digg it.

other comments do not seem to make the same qualification...so wasn't readily apparent
"two of something" : one baby on one side though
still say that it looks more like a baby crawling up a shirt, i mean it even has wrinkle marks where the baby's hands are. so unless the shirt would have a strategically placed cut out....

FearTheGorgon

daedalusknight wrote:Sorry... I was busy elsewhere. I thought it was pretty obvious that I drew it. It's not live traced or anything like that. I looked at some photos of kittens while drawing... even measured them for proportions... does that offend?

For the record, I'll be out at a job all day tomorrow, well into the evening. Forgive me if I don't respond to any questions in a timely manner.

It doesn't offend me, I just hope that the image wasn't copyrighted. Unless you changed it quite a bit from the original you might face rejection. But I guess as long as you don't divulge where it came from you'll be fine.

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
ign22401 wrote:Yeah, that's throwing me off too... what color shirt IS this supposed to be on? Looks too dark/chocolate to be Woot's brown, but it certainly doesn't look black, nor do I think it'd be as strong a design on black. Could this get cleared up?

On a complete tangent - albeit a related one - how overdue are some fresh shirt colors around here??? AA offers a zillion, you think woot could mix it up, no?

It is on black, but it will also work on other dark colored tee, like these:

Terribliz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Terribliz
Re: Nobodys' child

Too sloppy for me. I'm actually pretty surprised this made it to the top but congrats.

daedalusknight

FearTheGorgon wrote:It doesn't offend me, I just hope that the image wasn't copyrighted. Unless you changed it quite a bit from the original you might face rejection. But I guess as long as you don't divulge where it came from you'll be fine.

Wha? I didn't say I drew from one image... I said I used some photos as a reference when drawing. I didn't even collage the images together and call it a new image, I made my own drawing. Please stop trying to insinuate things, thanks. It's one thing to not like a shirt, but you seem to be intentionally trying to get me to be angry with you for some reason.

daedalusknight

Okay, I'm about done commenting for tonight. I may get a chance to check in tomorrow sometime, but I'll be away at a job most of the day so I might not be able to respond until late tomorrow night. I'd like to take this time to thank everyone who has supported me and my design and also all the people out there who have shared their stories with us. Once again, I want to encourage everyone out there to check out the Susan Komen website:

Susan G Komen for the Cure

Even if you're not looking to make a donation, the site is filled with information about breast cancer and there are plenty of ways to help out through volunteering. Another site where you can find cancer information and donate funds to a good cause is here:

The American Cancer Society

Thanks again to everyone. I'm not sure if my design will make it to the finish line, but I'm hoping it has made a difference for people.

jtyska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtyska
radiomode wrote:It is on black, but it will also work on other dark colored tee, like these:

I really like the navy shirt. Second vote would be black. I think the brown takes away from the color of your characters.

LOVE this shirt, btw.

peachwheels

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peachwheels
Boarder88493 wrote:no worries

I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets rejected...it's not gonna win anyway *giggles*!

FearTheGorgon

daedalusknight wrote:

Thanks again to everyone. I'm not sure if my design will make it to the finish line, but I'm hoping it has made a difference for people.

Look I think this whole thing is getting a little ridiculous. I'm very sorry for you and your family and believe your story is true. I didn't like the design and thought it was only fair that someone comment on it since it seemed to be getting a free pass. But I also know where these cats came from, I was hoping you'd come out and say it yourself, but your design is simply two copyrighted Corbis images put together. As far as I can tell, you didn't do anything unique to them other than add a tail to the mom cat. They look pretty much just like they did in the pictures. If it has made a difference for people then that is a good thing, but I don't think you personally have done anything other than put someone elses photos on a shirt and try to make people feel sympathy for you to get votes. I'm sorry if this offends people that like this shirt, but I think this whole thing is unfair to other designers and the people that would buy this, and to Corbis since its their photos that would be on woots shirts.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
zfranciose wrote:My first Design.
hopefully it goes uphill from here

It's very cute and nicely drawn and colored. Unfortunately, you may find that submitting a design this late in the derby can hurt your chances of getting into the top 3, because it does take a while to move upward. Submissions that are made in the first day or two (starting each Friday at noon) have a much better chance of making it to the fog. It could happen, though. One never knows.

Also, take a look at the other top competitors and see how they dress up their shirt comps - (what you see when you click on the thumbnail) you can help your design get votes by making a nice presentation.

I like your design. If this one doesn't get lots of votes this time around, be sure and enter more designs in upcoming derbies. You're a better artist than many, and we need more talented artists because it means we'll have more variety in what's available to buy!

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: llo evolution.

Hoping someone will see this and cast another vote for this wonderful shirt which deserves to win. Won't you, please?

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

gmezzetta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmezzetta
Re: Moms of the World...

That's a pretty cool idea, how many languages are on there?

Hiryuu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hiryuu

Love it, though I liked the red version better.

bafudg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bafudg
Re: Too Many Gray Whites

so there is carp on here that can make uttter no sense at all but yet mine remotely resembles motherhood ( I guess) and it gets band. Sure!

bafudg

bafudg

Re: Too Many Gray Whites

oh i guess i cant type c -r -a- p

afb264

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afb264
piezo wrote: I know what this design is intending to show but it also kinda looks like a baby climbing up a shirt.

I think we all know that that's not the reason why people want to buy the shirt. ^.^"

AdderXYU

toe2254 wrote:actually, i prefer the term "constructive". too many people say they're being honest when all they're really being is rude.

sometimes rude is honest. all you're saying with a phrase like that is "please don't offend my poor little sensitive soul."

Myztri

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Myztri
Re: Feeding v2

Breastfeeding isnt sexual and I certainly hope this does not get rejected. I know the odds of it placing are slim slim slim but I ADORE this... I would buy 3...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
rngo219 wrote:hey hey be nice. this shirt design can be worn by males or females. dont be saying hurtful things like " its rediculous" and trying to jeopardize my small chances of winning. if u have nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all, just that simple.

It's really not appropriate, to be honest. While yes, mothers breastfeed, this is not something I would wear (mother or not) and I can't possibly see a man wearing this shirt at all. And 2th Fairy is correct, seeing this on any teen girl (or younger) would be atrocious and sending the wrong message to other kids.

Joel Toon's comment was 'At least it's not completely offensive' which supposes that it's still offensive enough that it goes beyond their PG-13 rule. I'm all for mothers who breastfeed, but the shirt is not appropriate for the theme.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Her Motherly Nature

AH! Out of the fog again. These derbies are just crazy! Tough on the ol' ticker! But wildly addictive!

Many congratulations to Edgar on entering the fog. It's well-deserved given his string of great entries. (My all-time favorite = Love Your Neighbor from the citizenship derby.)

G'night all and thanks for the votes on the yellow one and the cubist one. They are very much appreciated!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
klswoot wrote:AH! Out of the fog again.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

klswoot wrote:
Many congratulations to Edgar on entering the fog. It's well-deserved given his string of great entries.

Can't argue with this......

bobbymon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbymon
jesterg86 wrote:In high school I had a physics teacher, this four foot tall spanish guy, who would say the most ridiculous things. He talked about tests being 'love letters to our brains' and if we got too loud he'd pretend to call the police (at least, I think he was pretending). Anyway, anytime someone used that classic high school comeback "Your mom!" he'd go on this long tangent "You talking about my mommy? My mother, the Earth. Well she is your mother too you know. She is big and round, and..." He was hilarious.

thats really funny...im glad i could trigger such fond memories. thanks for your response.