+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

The towering edifice of the English language - thousands of words, millions of pages, zillions of ideas - is all built with 26 little letters. Show us your best alphabet design this week, whether it's a variation on the schoolbook animal ABCs or something more intricate. The only requirements are that all 26 English letters must appear exactly once in your design.

We encourage you to draw the letters, of course, but if you use fonts, please convert all text to outlines before you submit. If you manage to win, don't spoil it by forcing us to get the fonts from you, or even rework your design to eliminate the offending text.

We're encouraging proper tattling this week, to help us moderate this potentially difficult theme. Proper tattling is: reporting a violation of the rules, with a link supporting your claim. Improper tattling is: telling us something like "this design suxx", or "I've seen a shirt like this at Wal-Mart" but providing no proof.

And this week is an odd one, because we're also announcing next week's Derby theme. Read the whole story about the partnership between Woot and 2K Games to sponsor the Derby #42 with the theme "Join the Revolution". To mark the upcoming release of Sid Meier’s Civilization® Revolution™, 2K Games is contributing a whole mess of prizes. But do NOT submit designs for that Derby here.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #41 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

Wow... this is going to be a bit more difficult than I thought this week would be. I'm kinda lost as to ideas.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Wow! A lot to wrap your head around this week.
I don't entirely understand this weeks derby?
-Andy

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Another text derby. how many people are going to make fun of the Alphabet song? Too many, perhaps. Time to go back to my line art and text-only entries and replace them with all the letters...

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

This sounds like a job for... pangrams!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

So they're announcing two themes at once. Interesting!

Not feeling the alphabet one. But maybe something will inspire me! Happy to say goodbye to Derby #40...it was tough!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

<3

I'm so happy. Now to think of a design. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Interesting... hmm. That's a lot of drawing. XP

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

KENPARS0NS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS

I call "Quick Brown Fox..."!

Two themes at once? er? I guess that means I have more time!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

The blog entry link isn't working? Server error just for that page? Anyone else having this problem?

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

Good derby theme!

Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries...

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
ansharp wrote:The blog entry link isn't working? Server error just for that page? Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah Woot needs to fix that link.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
KENPARS0NS wrote:I call "Quick Brown Fox..."!

Two themes at once? er? I guess that means I have more time!

That's the first thing I thought of too...but the letters are repeated.

JadenKale

haxrox wrote:This sounds like a job for... pangrams!

Personally I think Patchitect has it in the bag with his design he did a few months back.

Iambusyeating

I really don't understand how this theme will produce cool shirts, but then again I'm often wrong about that.

JadenKale

klswoot wrote:That's the first thing I thought of too...but the letters are repeated.

I think the only rule regarding the text was that every letter be represented

Iambusyeating

JadenKale wrote:I think the only rule regarding the text was that every letter be represented

Nope. Each letter exactly once.

JadenKale

Iambusyeating wrote:I really don't understand how this theme will produce cool shirts, but then again I'm often wrong about that.

I actually think they're having an off-week theme so we have 2 wks to work on a kick butt Civ theme

northcutt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages northcutt

Sweet, now that we can use text let's all figure out a way to incorporate asphalt and video games into it. I'm thinking Road Rash meets 3rd grade.

SkekTek

Someone call dibs on alphabet soup...

EDIT: My entry has just one sentence:

JadenKale

Iambusyeating wrote:Nope. Each letter exactly once.

ah. EXACTLY once... I read AT LEAST once.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Wow two themes at once! Good luck everyone can't wait to see the results!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa

Oh wow, a theme that's even worse than mothers IMO!
Not sure if I can do the Civ one

kwilder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Iambusyeating wrote:Yeah Woot needs to fix that link.

I was having problems as well until I looked at the location, you can see it in the blog after the entry for the newest derby.

JadenKale

northcutt wrote:Sweet, now that we can use text let's all figure out a way to incorporate asphalt and video games into it. I'm thinking Road Rash meets 3rd grade.

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!! Thank you for saying video games, because it TOTALLY reminded me of one!!! *rubs hands diabolically* Oh heck yeah!!! I'm gonna have fun this week and next week!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

a derby theme two weeks in advance? is this the start of a beautiful trend?

Check out my blog:Here!

JadenKale

derekfilley wrote:a derby theme two weeks in advance? is this the start of a beautiful trend?

perhaps! I'm glad it's finally happened. I like having the time to develop a design.

sparklzk27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
SkekTek wrote:Someone call dibs on alphabet soup...

EDIT: My entry has just one sentence:

Mr. Jock, TV quiz PhD, bags few lynx.

i was thinking about doing something with alphabet soup...but still not sure

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

So you can't really use pangrams.. what are you exactly left with? Alphabet soup, alphabet cereal, and just the alphabet on a shirt.

SkekTek

jamescho84 wrote:So you can't really use pangrams.. what are you exactly left with? Alphabet soup, alphabet cereal, and just the alphabet on a shirt.

I assume we can draw anything made of letters, just can't draw more than the 26 letters each. I see entries like the text derby...

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff

Way to much going on at one time - love it. Alphabet backwards?

Emilily

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Emilily

"...if you use fonts, please convert all text to outlines before you submit. If you manage to win, don't spoil it by forcing us to get the fonts from you, or even rework your design to eliminate the offending text."

I'm confused..... convert to outlines? anyone feel like explaining this to me :>

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee

I think I'm gonna try a design with a bunch of animals each starting with a letter of the alphabet in like an animal kingdom style picture. I'm assuming I have to actually have the letter showing like for 'A' if I did alligator, his mouth has to distinctly show an A shape his spines be A's or something. Anyways, just checking to see whether something like this has been done before so I don't get owned after spending lots of time on it. Thanks.

Amach06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
SkekTek wrote:I assume we can draw anything made of letters, just can't draw more than the 26 letters each. I see entries like the text derby...

Thats fine by me. i loved that derby. just didnt love the shirts that it created.

Well there is always next year....

Iambusyeating

I think I'll take a nice cranberry shirt and add the alphabet in nice cranberry letters.

Jewdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave

Odd:
Mr. Jock, TV quiz PhD, bags few lynx.
Cwm fjord-bank glyphs vext quiz.
Blowzy night-frumps vex'd Jack Q.
Squdgy fez, blank jimp crwth vox!
TV quiz drag nymphs blew JFK cox.
Q-kelt vug dwarf combs jynx phiz

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

Iambusyeating

Jewdave wrote:Odd:
TV quiz drag nymphs blew JFK cox.
\

PG13!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Emilily wrote:"...if you use fonts, please convert all text to outlines before you submit. If you manage to win, don't spoil it by forcing us to get the fonts from you, or even rework your design to eliminate the offending text."

I'm confused..... convert to outlines? anyone feel like explaining this to me :>

convert to curves in some programs.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
SkekTek wrote:I assume we can draw anything made of letters, just can't draw more than the 26 letters each. I see entries like the text derby...

I think we can draw anything as long as A-Z appear somewhere once each. It could even be a find-the-alphabet-hidden-among-this-pretty-picture type thing. It doesn't have to be only the 26 letters, right woot?