Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Revolution! Sometimes it’s about politics, like the American Revolution or the Cuban Revolution. Sometimes it’s about economics, like the Industrial Revolution or the Agricultural Revolution. Sometimes it’s about gaming, like Sid Meier’s Civilization® Revolution™, bringing the epic, addictive gameplay of the Civilization franchise to console and handheld game systems on July 8. And sometimes…it’s about t-shirts.

Shirt.Woot is teaming up with 2K Games, publishers of Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution, to sponsor Derby #42, opening for entries next Friday, May 9. The theme is “Join the Revolution.” We’re giving you an extra week to think about this one – after all, revolutions aren’t made in a day. And thanks to 2K, the prizes are like nothing we’ve ever offered before:

• GRAND PRIZE ($2000 + ongoing commission) 
    360 Elite 
    1 year xbox live 
    Copy of the game for 360 (when game releases, might be shipped later to winner) 
    360 Civilization Revolution faceplate 
    Signed poster from team
  • SECOND PRIZE ($1500 + ongoing commission) 
    360 faceplate  
    Copy of game 
    Signed poster
  • THIRD PRIZE ($1000 + ongoing commission) 
    Copy of game 
    Signed poster

Now, keep in mind that we are not looking for Civilization t-shirts. Consider this the same as any other Derby, in terms of restrictions on using other people’s work. We want shirt designs that work well without any specific association with the game, and without Civ logos, artwork, etc. Got that?

Otherwise, we expect something pretty awesome out of you guys. You’ve got an extra week to put your design together and thousands of years of source material to draw from. As intense Civ fans ourselves, we couldn’t be more thrilled to join forces with the people behind the game that we’ve spent so many hours playing. Make us proud, yo! Civilization hangs in the balance. 

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I'm guessing there will be no text in the Civ derby?!?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
dontwantaname wrote:Did you forget something?

heh. looks like a busted link.

dang, with all these prizes, it's a shame you didn't expand the winners pool a little bit.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

I definitely look forward to buying whatever bundle of awesomeness springs forth from this derby.

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter

So the theme is "Join the Revolution" for the game Civilization: Revolution, but don't make it a Civilization t-shirt. Just any revolution? Definitely ban the Che Guevara style...

VOTE!

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

:O so like... uh what? :O

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley

Awesome.

Check out my blog:Here!

JadenKale

yeeter wrote:So the theme is "Join the Revolution" for the game Civilization: Revolution, but don't make it a Civilization t-shirt. Just any revolution? Definitely ban the Che Guevara style...

ZOMG BAN CHE!!!! or 'Soviet Russia does you' shirts. Hopefully anything currently political will automatically get the boot. I don't wanna see Hillary on anything.

derekfilley

yeeter wrote:So the theme is "Join the Revolution" for the game Civilization: Revolution, but don't make it a Civilization t-shirt. Just any revolution? Definitely ban the Che Guevara style...

I would be devestatingly dissapointed if a stupid che-knockoff won (or even got top ten)

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
derekfilley wrote:I would be devestatingly dissapointed if a stupid che-knockoff won (or even got top ten)

Why? You don't like the busted tees shirt?

I wouldn't make one, but I thought it was funny

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
derekfilley wrote:I would be devestatingly dissapointed if a stupid che-knockoff won (or even got top ten)

Or even was submitted at all. I expect better from the Wootniks.

Please, Woot, ban Che from this and ALL derbies.

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff

Can I have the 360 if the first place winnder doesn't want it?

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

That's indeed a lot of money

Dakhara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dakhara

so wait is there text or not?

ign22401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ign22401

As someone who has spent ENTIRELY too much time playing Civ4 since the original version came out through both expansions... I am incredibly psyched for this derby. Wow. My grad classes could not have ended at a better time; my favorite shirt site teaming with my favorite current game franchise, yummeh!!!

"Revolution" is a pretty broad theme. Should be interesting to see what comes out of this.

zillybong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zillybong

SNAPS. It's time like these when I wish I had a tablet. Or illustrator.

...or any semblance of t-shirt designing skills.

ilovethevalley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilovethevalley

While the derby designs won't be associated with the games, I don't like the idea of sponsors for woot shirts. I understand it's extra bucks in the pocket for woot and for the designers, but I just don't like the idea of advertisers encroaching on the derby themes.

Isn't there already a sellout.woot?

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Jason Toon wrote:More specific rules for this Derby will come when the Derby is formally announced next week. This is just a preview, to get your creative juices flowing, or whatever it is your creative juices do.

On next Thursday? Are we supposed to have an extra week to work on the design? or just to think about the design material? I'd hate to have a week's worth of work go up in flames because there was a new "no text" addendum on Thursday. I love flames as much as the next person but my creative juices would be sad they worked, or flowed, so hard for naught.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

I was wrong before (and I've deleted that post, so as not to confuse anybody). The official word from Joel:

Text is allowed.

Che Guevara is allowed.

All graphic styles are allowed, including faux-Soviet.

But we'll be especially hardline about originality this time around. For example, simply submitting a standard Che Guevara shirt will not win you $2,000. Flirt with our rules at your own risk.

As always, you are welcome to withhold your votes from any shirt that you feel is unworthy.

Finally...

This blog post is the Derby announcement. These are the final rules and restrictions. No more details will be forthcoming.

derekfilley

Jason Toon wrote:
Che Guevara is allowed.

As always, you are welcome to withhold your votes from any shirt that you feel is unworthy.

I always withhold my votes from patently un-creative shirts, but the rest of the woot voters reliably don't. Sigh.

joelterrific

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

derekfilley wrote:I always withhold my votes from patently un-creative shirts, but the rest of the woot voters reliably don't. Sigh.

I'm not saying I won't reject a Che Guevara rip off shirt. But I'm also not saying that style is off limits.

ab4dd0n

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ab4dd0n

Well, I have a good idea for this one.
Now I just need to find some artistic abilities

Being in the same state as woot is pretty cool...until I have to pay sales tax

derekfilley

joelterrific wrote:I'm not saying I won't reject a Che Guevara rip off shirt. But I'm also not saying that style is off limits.

fair enough.

Kudos on the mega-prizes! I'm hoping to see some fierce competition between some professional designers.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Jason Toon wrote:I was wrong before (and I've deleted that post, so as not to confuse anybody). The official word from Joel:

Text is allowed.

Che Guevara is allowed.

All graphic styles are allowed, including faux-Soviet.

But we'll be especially hardline about originality this time around. For example, simply submitting a standard Che Guevara shirt will not win you $2,000. Flirt with our rules at your own risk.

Finally...

This blog post is the Derby announcement. These are the final rules and restrictions. No more details will be forthcoming.

Thanks! <3

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
Make us proud, yo! Civilization hangs in the balance.

Is this specifically imploring jimmiyo? Cuz that's some serious pressure. (winking emoticon)

Failoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Failoan

wow, this will sure to be interesting.

Caalro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caalro

Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first time I have planned on entering a Derby.

I see them mentioned all the time but do not know where to submit or any other details of what the dimensions/etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Iambusyeating

Caalro wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first time I have planned on entering a Derby.

I see them mentioned all the time but do not know where to submit or any other details of what the dimensions/etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963
These may help you get started. You can post entries to this derby at 12 PM Central Time next Friday, and post entries to the other one Tomorrow at noon.

Caalro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caalro
Iambusyeating wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963
These may help you get started. You can post entries to this derby at 12 PM Central Time next Friday, and post entries to the other one Tomorrow at noon.

Thank you sir!

cselk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cselk
Iambusyeating wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

Thanks(x2), very helpful. It seems like some people only post the ‘Shirt Comp’, while others only post the 'Design Detail'...though both are seen in the voting forum. How does all that work and which should be posted?

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

exciting. i would enjoy seeing some of the designers investing a little more time into the designs.

WOOORD!

minna ganbatte!

Iambusyeating

cselk wrote:Thanks(x2), very helpful. It seems like some people only post the ‘Shirt Comp’, while others only post the 'Design Detail'...though both are seen in the voting forum. How does all that work and which should be posted?

The design detail is 240px by 240px and shows part of your design. This is the thumbnail on the voting page. The Shirt Comp is 600px by 600px and shows where on the shirt the design goes. This can also be used to show your design more in depth as long as you show the position on the shirt somewhere.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

WELCOME TO WOOT, CAN I PRINT YOUR MONKEY???

suzyottomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic

Yea, this should get a couple of recently absent designers back into play.

JadenKale

Turbotuff wrote:Can I have the 360 if the first place winnder doesn't want it?

I think this is the most selfish thing to even say. The first thing I'd do, if the person did NOT want the 360, is give it to someone deserving (as in someone else who may get honorable mention or even 4th place). Just making a post like that at the beginning of the competition is just so off-putting.

nkardos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkardos
JadenKale wrote:I think this is the most selfish thing to even say. The first thing I'd do, if the person did NOT want the 360, is give it to someone deserving (as in someone else who may get honorable mention or even 4th place). Just making a post like that at the beginning of the competition is just so off-putting.

relax, he's just playing. everyone wants a 360 so it's not like it could even happen. but while we are on the subject. if someone doesnt want the money, can i have it?

dtreichler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtreichler
lyssasimmons wrote:<Repeated incoherent babble>

I'll have whatever she's having.

Turbotuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
JadenKale wrote:I think this is the most selfish thing to even say. The first thing I'd do, if the person did NOT want the 360, is give it to someone deserving (as in someone else who may get honorable mention or even 4th place). Just making a post like that at the beginning of the competition is just so off-putting.

I was kidding - I just think its a great thing to be giving away for shirt designers!! I haven't seen woot do anything like this before. I lack the skill to design shirts so I am out of the running and I already have the XBOX 360. Sorry if I offended you! Your shirts rock.

Iambusyeating

I know it's early, but what do people think of my entry for this contest so far?

Any suggestions on colors and type and such?

jimiyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

this is my favorite Che knockoff