WeezTheJuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeezTheJuice
MKugs wrote:They aren't announced until Thursday at noon.

My bad, thanks for the heads up.

imdante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imdante

IMDB DOES index just about every movie. they DO have all of the scripts. they also have user submitted quotes.

i challenge any of you guys to think of a quote (a real quote) type into the quote search and be amazed that it finds the movie and quote you were looking for.

http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=Quotes&for=

emerica

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emerica
Re: I Just Quote Movies

THIS IS SO ME!!! lmfao

erll, i'm ogg yo trsf snf dlrrp

llonvent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llonvent
Geckotek wrote:Apparently I just don't find this as amusing as everyone else. I get it, but it doesn't inspire a laugh or even a chuckle really.

Sorry, just being honest (and a bit frustrated that a couple of shirts just below aren't in the fog.)

You're not alone. I think this shirt is silly at best. I've already stated that the redundancy is a huge turn off. Someone came back with the rebuttal that it was part of the humor. I call it lack of creativity. I like shirts that don't create an feeling of "duhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Coincidentally, MODOT recently used the slogan "slow and steady means everyone will get there quicker" in an attempt to explain variable speed limits on our Hwy 270 in a radio commercial. It's hilarious.... ahhhhh. department of transportation resorting to nursery rhymes. I wonder how many engineering research time when into that study. Gotta love it.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
wootvan wrote:Nice work skek...GMV, but usually dark blue shirts are at the higher end of the bad smelling continuum

So... wear a lot of navy shirts, or is it a comment about the dark shirts from AA? I tend to wear a lot of olive and cream- they tend to go better under dress shirts. Thanks for the vote!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
jeannette84xx wrote:hmm white is the lack of color some would say.. but yea you guys are getting cheap on the screens? :-P

Nobody says white is the lack of colour. White is the result when all colours are mixed together. BLACK is the absence of colour.

But technicalities aside, the derby rules state that you are only allowed two SPOT COLOURS. This means every colour, hue or shade used that isn't the shirt colour.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon

imdante wrote:IMDB DOES index just about every movie. they DO have all of the scripts. they also have user submitted quotes.

i challenge any of you guys to think of a quote (a real quote) type into the quote search and be amazed that it finds the movie and quote you were looking for.

http://www.imdb.com/Find?select=Quotes&for=

First of all, there is no way that imdb has "just about every movie." There is far too much out there for imdb to have it all; they themselves note that it is a growing project that relies mostly on VOLUNTEERS to provide information. There are plenty of films, tv shows, etc. out there that are not documented on imdb, and there is definitely room for error in the information they do have. I'm not saying that imdb isn't reliable, but they themselves acknowledge the possibility of error.

I really doubt that they have the scripts of ANY movie, let alone all of them. There are probably copyright problems. I've also checked around the site and found nothing about imdb having the scripts, nor any way to read the scripts should they have them.

This statistics page shows the information they currently have. They note how many projects they have plot summaries for, how many have trivia, how many have tag lines, etc. Note that I say "projects" instead of "movies" because imdb also deals with television shows, etc. They also give us the number of projects for which they have quotes. At the time of my writing this, the number is 44,823 with quotes. This is far less than the 379,871 movies released theatrically, let alone the 1,039,447 total titles.

The statistics page doesn't even list "scripts" as something they have. I'm sorry, but I really doubt imdb has any scripts.

6walnuts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 6walnuts
Re: I was Homeschooled.

who are you targeting to get this shirt? the homeschoolers I know don't apologize for it--they like it.

Sorcyress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sorcyress
Re: HUGS!!

It's wicked adorable. I give hugs too!!

Sorcyress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sorcyress
Re: careful what you wash for

*giggles!!* This shirt is pretty much entirely the wins, yeah. If I were a real man, I would get one so hard.

~Sor

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
Re: We have an understanding...

I pretend to like this shirt.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
llonvent wrote:You're not alone. I think this shirt is silly at best. I've already stated that the redundancy is a huge turn off. Someone came back with the rebuttal that it was part of the humor. I call it lack of creativity.

Your sense of humor is wrong ;) Personally, I like the phrase because of the redundancy/obviousness, but I'm more into deadpan and absurdism. It's sort of in the vein of Jack Handy quotes from SNL, one of which goes "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face." Like you said, a "duh" statement, but a monotone delivery of it really works for me. There's more here, although some are just kinda morbid.

Like 'em or not, the top entries are some interesting insights into what kinds of humor are popular.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
eHalcyon wrote:Nobody says white is the lack of colour. White is the result when all colours are mixed together. BLACK is the absence of colour.

But technicalities aside, the derby rules state that you are only allowed two SPOT COLOURS. This means every colour, hue or shade used that isn't the shirt colour.

actually, black is the result of all colors mixed together when dealing with paint, ink, etc, also called "subtractive color mixing" in color theory. white is the absence of color in that instance.
however in "additive color mixing" which deals with light the opposite is true and white is the result of all colors mixed together and black is the absence of color.

still, my question would be does woot print a white highlight (which would count as 2 white screens) making a second color a third screen, or do they just double hit the white base and flash it?

not that i really care, i'm just bored and really looking forward to getting this derby behind me.

haxrox

bluchez wrote:Thanks for the votes guys and gals. It seems that this derby is ultimately down to a contest between this and the Slow and Steady shirt, and which shirt has been getting votes slowly and steadily will ultimately win. Now that's Irony.

All right, I've been holding out because we're in direct competition, but I can't help it. I'm a programmer, and your shirt is awesome. GMV. I hope you're happy, bluchez, you and your stinkin' cleverness.

wallacenorth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallacenorth
Re: You Look Handsome Today

Ignore sailstud's rude remarks, those comments were definitely unnecessary. He/she obviously doesn't need this shirt with his/her already large ego. I really like this shirt. It is good to see a shirt promoting a positive self image. You call it an ego, i call it necessary with the way people look at themselves today.

shirtateria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirtateria
barabajagle wrote:Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

What's to say the designer didn't use 2 (or more) different typefaces? That wasn't in the rules was it?

Dang you're right...and Bodoni Household Appliance Bold is one of my favortite fonts too.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mjc613 wrote:Because woot said he could. They made a mistake, and let him resub.

But woot should have let Goelzjs keep his original vote count, instead of making him start over!! NO FAIR WOOT!!!!!!!!

Woot only makes exceptions for newbies, not multi-print winners from their early days.

waytoblue74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waytoblue74

i am from oregon and loved the trail. i enjoy the generation gap that exists between early to mid 20 somethings and late 20 to early 30ers. they probably wouldn't know who mavis beacon was if she taught them how to type

eHalcyon

toe2254 wrote:actually, black is the result of all colors mixed together when dealing with paint, ink, etc, also called "subtractive color mixing" in color theory. white is the absence of color in that instance.
however in "additive color mixing" which deals with light the opposite is true and white is the result of all colors mixed together and black is the absence of color.

still, my question would be does woot print a white highlight (which would count as 2 white screens) making a second color a third screen, or do they just double hit the white base and flash it?

not that i really care, i'm just bored and really looking forward to getting this derby behind me.

Bah, I just think in light. Fine, fine, you got me.

Regarding the printing of white - I figure they would just let the first screen show through. That's a good point though. As I understand it, printing on a coloured shirt requires an initial screening of white before the spot colours are screened. Couldn't woot just let white go and not count it as one of the six spot colours?

eHalcyon

wallacenorth wrote:Ignore sailstud's rude remarks, those comments were definitely unnecessary. He/she obviously doesn't need this shirt with his/her already large ego. I really like this shirt. It is good to see a shirt promoting a positive self image. You call it an ego, i call it necessary with the way people look at themselves today.

I read sailstud's comments and they don't seem all that rude. He makes a good point - the letters WOULD come out backwards in a mirror. The image wasn't flipped; the text was simply typed backwards.

pettie1155

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pettie1155
Re: Mix it up

no

pettie1155

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pettie1155
Re: Mix it up

no

victorko1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages victorko1

this shirt is awesome. i would buy this one

zackaroni4life

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackaroni4life
spenc938 wrote:Good job making yourself look like an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES! while trying to correct someone else. There is a big difference between commas and apostrophes.

*giggles* thanks. llo....i huess maybe i should have paid attention in english. llo

jandt4ever07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandt4ever07
Re: Silly Shirt, Words Are For Books

HA HA!! This is hands down THE best one this derby. It's the only one I would consider buying out of all of these l o l great job

~By Edgar R. Mcherly

jakephill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakephill
Re: Irony

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
jakephill wrote:

new best post

well it was until it got murdered

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
jakephill wrote:

eloquently written.

kswolke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kswolke

Love this! This is my slogan, this is how i answer my phone, this is my shirt!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
JustAmy wrote:Thank you so much, Hotcha and llonvent! You guys made my day!

GMV .

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
jakephill wrote:Not sure what happened to my previous comment, but what I wanted to say is:
I am very disappointed with Woot and very sorry for the better and more deserving designers that should have taken these donkeys place in the fog. All the correct and logical reasons why this should have stayed rejected has been discussed. So I'll leave with a suggestion. With your undeserved winnings, THIS IS THE PART OF THE COMMENT POSTER NEEDS TO DELETE ASAP.

If your previous comments were as rude as the last sentence of this one, they were deleted. Since you are new, you may not know that woot gives probation to people who are deliberately rude on the forums. I do not agree with this shirt being reinstated, but there is no excuse for your "suggestion"

SilverStar8403

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SilverStar8403
TshirtTank wrote:I think its different enough, besides shirtsday has stolen every concept they ever print. I don't think they have listed 1 original shirt yet

Shirtaday vacuums. I actually ordered the Circular Reasoning shirt, but the size ended up being too big for me. Then they wouldn't accept my return! I was hoping this would win so I could get a similar shirt and actually be able to order it in a size i know will fit me.

MKugs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MKugs

I'm really looking forward to whatever the new theme will be. Need to clean the taste of this derby from my mouth.

htebazile

quality posts: 1 Private Messages htebazile

But...you left out an apostrophe.
"It's."

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
eHalcyon wrote:Bah, I just think in light. Fine, fine, you got me.

Regarding the printing of white - I figure they would just let the first screen show through. That's a good point though. As I understand it, printing on a coloured shirt requires an initial screening of white before the spot colours are screened. Couldn't woot just let white go and not count it as one of the six spot colours?

i'm not sure how woot does it, but at the print shops i've worked at white is always counted twice on dark colored shirt, especially red. if you use 1 white on a red shirt you end up with pink from the mixing of the shirt's pigment with the ink. the highlight white compensates for that.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
pettie1155 wrote:no

geez, you've been on woot since June of last year, with a total of 11 posts, and two of them are about this text design?

and why 'no'?
not as clever as the ones in the fog?

xphacter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xphacter

Oh man this is great for someone in construction.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: ...except in a real race

Haxrox, this is the only shirt in the fog my husband wants. He doesn't like it as much as the Chuck Norris motherhood shirt, but we have better chance of buying this one. Good luck in the coming days!

haxrox

mjc613 wrote:Haxrox, this is the only shirt in the fog my husband wants. He doesn't like it as much as the Chuck Norris motherhood shirt, but we have better chance of buying this one. Good luck in the coming days!

Thanks, mjc! Interestingly, this design also hold true if you replace "except in a real race", with "if you're Chuck Norris"

funnydoug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funnydoug
Re: Me, Version 0.76b

Thanks to everyone who voted for me. If you haven't yet, please do!