kindergartencow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kindergartencow
adavidw wrote:You're right, it is a little too soon. I've always maintained that tragedy doesn't turn to comedy until at least 97 years have passed.

I like to think a tragedy should never really be used as a comedy.
So how long does it take for the holocaust to become t-shirt material?

MastaHanky

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MastaHanky
kindergartencow wrote:I like to think a tragedy should never really be used as a comedy.

97 years.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Thank you for fixing the spelling, Woot! You probably just saved this shirt!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

jmblya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmblya

Another thanks for the correction, Woot. That sealed the deal and I just bought one, depsite thinking I'd freed up some money for the new "Futurama" DVD that comes out today.

"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...

jculver09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jculver09

i like how they have fixed the spelling now, there goes that idea of another layer to the joke. :P

jculver09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jculver09
kindergartencow wrote:I like to think a tragedy should never really be used as a comedy.

Well look at the movie Titanic. Still the all time biggest money maker (I know, its sad), yet it was based on a tragedy. I know its a drama not a comedy, but i couldn't help but laugh almost the whole time.

edit: oops. pardon my double, im bored at work

rrdavenport

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrdavenport

Maybe its time for a Shirt-OFF?

dougallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougallen

would like it if it wasn't for the text. no need to state the obvious, plus adds a conversation thing

anniese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anniese

I checked out the spelling and "iceberg" is used both for the massive ice chunk floating about in sea water as well as the yummy leafy green.

steffej3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steffej3

Love the shirt. The text doesn't bother me. Just one question though, if I wear this to a 'Lake' vacation over the 4th of July, am I tempting fate?

(thinks morbid thoughts)

homann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homann
steffej3 wrote:Love the shirt. The text doesn't bother me. Just one question though, if I wear this to a 'Lake' vacation over the 4th of July, am I tempting fate?

(thinks morbid thoughts)

Yes, giant heads of romaine will rain from the sky. You'll get up one morning to find the cabin door blocked shut by cauliflower. Don't do it!!!

jlavezzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlavezzo

This spelling thing is really confusing

iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce

The picture says iceberg. which is correct. The page title says "Iceburg" which is, I guess, a German colony in Greenland...

So. How will it be printed??

sigaru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigaru

"fix" the spelling? but i believe it is spelled correctly in the lettuce sense....

sigaru

jlavezzo wrote:This spelling thing is really confusing

iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce

The picture says iceberg. which is correct. The page title says "Iceburg" which is, I guess, a German colony in Greenland...

l ol. i should have read before i just posted [post before this].

krouth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth

Very clever idea - good job!

sashak7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sashak7

Since woot corrected the spelling, I got one. Fun shirt!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Great job Paige! I still laugh at this every time I think about it. If they corrected the spelling in the image they should drop the disclaimer to avoid confusion. I had no idea what they were talking about.

sigaru

sashak7 wrote:Since woot corrected the spelling, I got one. Fun shirt!

but they didn't, they incorrected it. unless they fixed it in the picture, which does not go with the writing underneath, since it says that the spelling above is incorrect, but it says "iceberg" in the yellow box. god this is so confusing.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce

Shirt.Woot wrote:See the egregious misspelling in the shirt above? We managed to catch it just in time to make sure "Iceberg" will be spelled correctly on the actual printed shirts. We'll get the hang of the English language one of these days.

They got it right in time at least they can fess up to it.

tgentry

Staff

sigaru wrote:but they didn't, they incorrected it. unless they fixed it in the picture, which does not go with the writing underneath, since it says that the spelling above is incorrect, but it says "iceberg" in the yellow box. god this is so confusing.

I believe at some point the whole thing was incorrect, so they put up a disclaimer saying they would fix it. Then they fixed the picture, but didn't take off the disclaimer, which may lead people to believe the now corrected version is incorrect. If they take off the disclaimer it's like it never happened and people won't have to think twice about it.

daftvillain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daftvillain

iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce
iceberg lettuce

Ah, my third post here.. I need a job.

Anyways, i've never heard of the colony "Iceburg", that's awesome. Knowing that makes the original design awesome, even though I liked it without text, except.. Bah, I think this design is the most confusing I've seen.

eddiepop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddiepop
simple20 wrote:Does anybody know where I can see this lighthouse design?

I'd also like to see what the commotion is about with this Lighthouse shirt. Anyone have a link?

barabajagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages barabajagle

Couldn't resist (I heard this somewhere, but can't give proper credit... lucky for them):

A man goes to the Doctor with a piece of lettuce hanging out of his ear.
"That looks nasty," says the doctor.
"Nasty?!?" replies the man, "this is just the tip of the iceberg."

barabajagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages barabajagle
eddiepop wrote:I'd also like to see what the commotion is about with this Lighthouse shirt. Anyone have a link?

Your wish is my... something.

Coming Home

wootzupdoc00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootzupdoc00
MastaHanky wrote:97 years.

I think that perhaps the difference is that the holocaust was a terrible tragedy caused by the dark hearts of evil men/women. The titanic was an unfortunate event caused by an act of nature so to speak, so they were able to make a romantic blockbuster out of it years later and a cool funny shirt on woot. However, the holocaust, 911, or any other hate-filled even will NEVER be funny....unless you are a complete psychopath.

Miech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Miech

I think I would have gotten one had the caption been simpler, like

"Iceberg!!!!!" without the "a head" tacked on...

stryker8437

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stryker8437

Not everything can be made into a joke. Trust me, I have tried making jokes about AIDS and it simply does not work. Syphillis on the other hand is hilarious cause if you have syphillis you can follow the modo of a lot of bars...

Liquor up front
Poker in the back

ritsuke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ritsuke

Perfect shirt, ruined by the text (not necessary) - IMO. :-(

kahig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kahig

Hmmnn, I tossed this salad quandary around for a while b4 I decided, I had to know. Google has iceburg all over, who would have known. Ridiculous is, I actually looked it up, but lettuce begin. It all makes sense now, lettuce is a sativa that also contains a mild opiate, so understanding the artist's euphoric delusional state a simple typo typo is quite understandable. typo. Or we can blame columbus and the romains for bringing it here in the first place. Or the trains covered w/ ice for giving it that stupid name. Anyway you look at it i just wasted 10 minutes. Damn you shirt.woot!!!

[u][size=17]Kahig Alesch[/size][u]

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
steffej3 wrote:Love the shirt. The text doesn't bother me. Just one question though, if I wear this to a 'Lake' vacation over the 4th of July, am I tempting fate?

(thinks morbid thoughts)

Maybe, but good luck getting it by then unless you pay for overnight shipping. l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

sigaru

tgentry wrote:I believe at some point the whole thing was incorrect, so they put up a disclaimer saying they would fix it. Then they fixed the picture, but didn't take off the disclaimer, which may lead people to believe the now corrected version is incorrect. If they take off the disclaimer it's like it never happened and people won't have to think twice about it.

and i saw the shirt last night as soon as it was posted, too. i wish i remembered what it was so i wouldn't be so confused. i'd really like to buy it, but i don't have the money. i need to pay for college...

bluesfan473

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluesfan473
wootzupdoc00 wrote:I think that perhaps the difference is that the holocaust was a terrible tragedy caused by the dark hearts of evil men/women. The titanic was an unfortunate event caused by an act of nature so to speak, so they were able to make a romantic blockbuster out of it years later and a cool funny shirt on woot. However, the holocaust, 911, or any other hate-filled even will NEVER be funny....unless you are a complete psychopath.

Nicely put wootzupdoc.

In for one!. Can any of you experienced wooters answer a question for me please? When the daily offering is random shirts & you order some, do the head-wooters make an effort not to send ones that you have already purchased? Or is it totally, completely random & you take your chances? Thanks!

tgentry

Staff

ritsuke wrote:Perfect shirt, ruined by the text (not necessary) - IMO. :-(

I think it would be pointless without the text. Just a "Hey, this is also called Iceberg!" switcheroo. The cleverness comes in the wordplay that ties the two things together so perfectly. It's not just a pun, it's two puns in one, tied together seamlessly, something I imagine is very difficult to pull off.

hbkdinobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hbkdinobot
bluesfan473 wrote:Nicely put wootzupdoc.

In for one!. Can any of you experienced wooters answer a question for me please? When the daily offering is random shirts & you order some, do the head-wooters make an effort not to send ones that you have already purchased? Or is it totally, completely random & you take your chances? Thanks!

I'm sure it is completely random. You can always trade though.

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho

Ah, well done Woot! It's nice to see you corrected the mistake to cater to those who love the shirt.

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

tabrazinski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
bluesfan473 wrote:Nicely put wootzupdoc.

it's totally completely random. people have even posted saying that if they were "in for 3" that they got 2 of the same shirt in their bag. and i've definitely heard of people getting randoms that they purchased when they came out. mostly you get the sizes that you've ordered, but i think even some people have gotten the wrong sizes... it seems that these random shirt days are merely a way to empty the warehouse and they seem more concerned with moving shirts than making sure you don't have two "zombie gardens"

flipmeister

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flipmeister

a bit off the subject... has anyone had any luck using coffee to color a white shirt? im thinking the 3-d lion would look awesome in a light brown...

[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
haxrox wrote:...cash floe.

llo, now THAT is punny!

CAMMS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CAMMS

WTG, Woot, correcting the spelling error!

I've never really understood the aversion to text on t-shirts but this is the first time I've thought I would prefer the shirt without the text. Having just returned from a cruise to Alaska, I kinda like this shirt. I can't believe I am actually on the fence due to the text. At least I now understand the text haters, though.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Aaaaahahahahaha. My sentiments exactly. Pundits.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen