faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

Re: Throw Caution to the Wind

Very nice, I like it!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JadenKale wrote:What is amusing is, I drew it just like my cell phone's read out. The battery icon is facing that direction, and the bar fills up from right to left (meaning the positive or full end is on the left side) And there's no flatulence to be had when he's being recharged by the cord.

Hmm... I was going to say that it's true that the +/- should be the other way around, but I just realized that when you RECHARGE a battery you do in fact flip the electrodes... errr, I can't explain it very well anymore because it's been so long since high school chemistry. Suffice it to say that even though when USING the battery, the nubby part is positive, I think the way you have the signs right now is correct for RECHARGING.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: Circuit-ulatory System

I don't mean to be petty, but I will be. I mean, seriously?

It's the same shirt

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Didn't mean to double post there. Damn fake Woot errors

tallmidget

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget
Re: Cofee Levels Critical

so will woot just change the name when they print this...or does it have to stay misspelled?

faughtey

Staff

Re: Fuel Cell

Wow! Terrific for coffee drinkers like me.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

faughtey

Staff

Re: Chasing Windmills

I hope this wins so I can buy it, very well done!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
AdderXYU wrote:The difference between anything I've done and this shirt is that if my shirts printed, they would look bad based on my talent or lack thereof (and I would never deny I'm a total amateur). This will look bad because it was incredibly poorly done.

Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

If my skill, or lack thereof, means anything, it means I'm able to be fearless about speaking my mind. Don't kid yourselves, most designers here shut their faces in public because they're afraid of losing the votes of the same tools who vote for carp like this in the first place. Don't think their silence means they approve... they're just more concerned about keeping a good reputation and some solid paychecks than speaking their minds. I have nothing to lose, and am happy to speak their minds for them.

Woot insults you guys for the idiocy you buy. Learn the facts. You might be the majority, but that doesn't make you right.

Normally I'm behind you Adder and I completely agree with you on this shirt. I do not think that this shirt will print well and I I am an un-original person to see energy in it. However, I fear that your dislike for such shirts has caused you to go on diatribes that cause animosity and not change. Just my two cents.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sailstud25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
carmicha wrote:As a Wisconsinite, I concur. I loved the original Powered by Cheese, but I hope this one does well.

yep, another one for this guy in wisconsin (only currently coincidentally)

I've been known to say "I love cheese" with such inflection that my wife laughs everytime... I def enjoyed the wallace and grommit movie, but didn't know them before that.

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

ABHolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ABHolt
SeedUvPain wrote:I don't mean to be petty, but I will be. I mean, seriously?

It's the same shirt

Who designed this one?What derby was it in?

eHalcyon

ABHolt wrote:Who designed this one?What derby was it in?

I think it was by SeedUvPain (which is why he's bringing it up). It was in the Home derby.

I think the designs are different, but it's right on the cusp of rejection territory. The biggest similarity is the use of a heart, but I don't think that's extremely original. I think that architectural blueprints aren't the same as circuit diagrams...

Speaking of which, exactly what kind of diagram is this? I recognize it but I can't remember exactly... it reminds me of logic circuit diagrams, but simplified.

Jack31081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
tallmidget wrote:so will woot just change the name when they print this...or does it have to stay misspelled?

I would like to hope that Joel and the rest see this as a typo and not as an intentional action on my part.

Terribliz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Terribliz
Re: Things are tough all over

*giggles*, awesome. ap bio

SamHain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamHain
Re: Fiery Robot Rage

I wish there was a lot less smoke coming out the top because I find that heavy blob of black to be distracting but I still really like this.

MikeKelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeKelly
Re: Positive Feedback Loop?

this is funny. GMV

durgenflabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages durgenflabbit
Re: Positive Feedback Loop?

i had a similar idea brewing... but i got to lazy and didnt make it... so thank you for doing it for me!! GMV! i think yours turned out better than mine would have anyway

nautikal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nautikal

*giggles* this is funny

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Re: energy crisis!

does anyone think this will be able to catch up? I always submit my designs late. Oh well

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
dsladek wrote:does anyone think this will be able to catch up? I always submit my designs late. Oh well

If it makes it to the top 15 by Monday, then I personally don't believe submission time is very relevant. At that point, it is no longer lost in the masses, so I think it has more to do with nailing the constantly moving whims of the voters than submission time.

cashie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cashie
nautikal wrote:*giggles* this is funny

*giggles* id totally wear this!! gmv. and my brother would too

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho
Re: Summer in the City

I love this! It's so '70s, which is a good thing with me. I hope it makes it into the fog so good luck.

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

S4wks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages S4wks
cobolisdead wrote:Just 9 more votes to go before you break the 100 barrier!

Gave it the 100th vote. Love the concept.

enin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin

good message
good design

what else can you ask for?

gmv!

ya2sabes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes
Re: Cofee Levels Critical

I'm down with it being pocket-positioned and, yea, sure, small, but maybe it could be a little bigger (though considering that its in the fog...well, i guess it works).

But mos def the colour, if you were stuck on green, should have been filled (though considering that its in the fog...ya know...)

ya2sabes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes
Re: E-Tank

This is sick. What happened to all the video gamers? *sigh*

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
eHalcyon wrote:He has artistic skill too.

Thanks.

Claudication

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Claudication
ubetteryoubet wrote:Clever. I like it.

I concur. Very clever indeed.

Claudication

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Claudication
Re: Miracle Lifeforce

Awesome design. I love it. Definitely GMV.

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh

Thank you hailfox, Terribliz, Claudication! Glad you all like it!

reganrai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reganrai
Andy47240 wrote:Atomic energy can be beautiful.

I really, really love this design. It's probably my favorite of the derby... the color choices are so perfect! Great work!

woot: 5 | shirt.woot: 19 | wine.woot: 3 | sellout.woot: 0

dancerqt0284

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancerqt0284
Re: Electric Mnemonic

Having taken quite a few science classes, this makes me smile. :D Gotta love mnemonics! GMV :D

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kylemittskus wrote:Normally I'm behind you Adder and I completely agree with you on this shirt. I do not think that this shirt will print well and I I am an un-original person to see energy in it. However, I fear that your dislike for such shirts has caused you to go on diatribes that cause animosity and not change. Just my two cents.

Seeing as how dreck like this shirt has won so often, I don't think any path I'd take to vilify it would cause change. You'll note how many people defend the poor color choices, boring graphics and lack of theme in this thread. Wooters don't WANT change. They want the least challenging graphics available to them. Whether I took a gentle approach or a wrathful one, we'll still see these shirts, and we'll still see people vote for them despite it all.

The simple fact is, no matter how eloquently or gently I put it, it won't change. People want what they want, and hate being told they have no taste. I'd rather earn the animosity rather than have it come in for the truth. And I always speak the truth anyway.

radner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radner

Thanks!!! :-)

bbielesch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbielesch

Simply amazing. Great color choice and layout.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Summer in the City

I want.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eHalcyon

riffmaster18 wrote:Thanks for the great comments, much appreciated!

Just wondering riff, is this supposed to be asphalt or black? It seems right inbetween on my monitor.

hawk4x4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hawk4x4
Re: Sound Energy

I am already committing to buying this shirt if it gets made. *crosses fingers*

Shirt Woot x 11 = ^__^

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
reganrai wrote:I really, really love this design. It's probably my favorite of the derby... the color choices are so perfect! Great work!

Thanks Reganrai. I really appreciate your support. The baby blue T is my favorite of all the colors available to us. I was very happy with the way these 3 colors turned out on it.

ruthsdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad
AdderXYU wrote:Seeing as how dreck like this shirt has won so often, I don't think any path I'd take to vilify it would cause change. You'll note how many people defend the poor color choices, boring graphics and lack of theme in this thread. Wooters don't WANT change. They want the least challenging graphics available to them. Whether I took a gentle approach or a wrathful one, we'll still see these shirts, and we'll still see people vote for them despite it all.

The simple fact is, no matter how eloquently or gently I put it, it won't change. People want what they want, and hate being told they have no taste. I'd rather earn the animosity rather than have it come in for the truth. And I always speak the truth anyway.

Adder, if this site promotes and sells such dreck, why do you continue to come here? Usually, only trolls continue to come to Web sites that have content they hate, but I'm sure you're not a troll, right?

WeezTheJuice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeezTheJuice
SeedUvPain wrote:I don't mean to be petty, but I will be. I mean, seriously?

It's the same shirt

Aw cmon, the same shirt? Take away the colors and placement and nobody would have said anything, not to mention they are totally different styles, influences, and ideas in general. This entry has a blueprint feel with a very calculated look to it. It focuses on the specific anatomy of the heart juxtaposed over a house. My design consists of a heart that is part of the larger system, and has much more of a free flowing feel to it rather than a more anatomy-oriented diagram of a heart with a blueprint of a house. The titles exemplify this point as my design is playing on the entire circulatory system, with circuits replacing veins and arteries which seems to give a, for lack of a better word, cyborg feel, whereas the other shirt was playing on the "home is where the heart is" saying, I'm assuming. And to be fair, the placement of the heart is understandably similar, I wasn't going to put it in the bottom right corner was I? I would assume using a heart with a vastly different idea and theme wouldn't be grounds for rejection, and I really hope woot wouldn't consider rejecting my design on this basis. Regardless, thanks again for those who like this shirt, and please keep the votes coming. I can't tell you what it means to me, or any designer, to know others enjoy and appreciate their ideas.