EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
Re: Positive Feedback Loop?

This is a great idea. If only the universe worked this way...

GMV.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Summer in the City

It's rare that woot prints something I'd actually wear to a bar. I wear all the others I buy on a daily basis but it'd be nice to get some going out shirts too. I hope this catches on and makes the fog.

pennglendinning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pennglendinning

nice and simple. vote

EwingKlipspringer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EwingKlipspringer
Re: Pedal Power

This is my absolute LEAST favorite shirt color.

But I would absolutely buy this shirt nevertheless. Great design. I love this.

arovd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arovd

dude, everyone knows coal is bad for the environment. don't deny the smoke, man!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
AdderXYU wrote:Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

You seemed to have missed the point of the derby. There are certainly legitimate complaints about the type of shirts that get printed through the derby, but ultimately, the point of the derby is to print shirts customers want. If it doesn't happen to be the same as what you want, don't buy it and move on. There's the rest of the week to buy the commissioned shirts.

You are correct, there are a ton of other shirt sites that have different quality controls but ultimately you end up having to buy the stuff they think you should like. It's true for me and I would say probably a lot of others that the draw here is that you can get something you want to see. It won't always happen and the designs aren't always "high art" but it's a frakking t-shirt. I've not seen a single derby where I absolutely wanted all three shirts. I don't know that I've ever bought more than one from a derby and I've often seen my favorite shirts sit at 50 votes. That's the way it goes.

Sometimes there's a really clever shirt with great art that catches everyone's eye and that's great. But even the best artists here pander. If every design isn't the depth of wit and skill, go buy shirts at the other sites where you seem to have found so much quality. You've already said multiple weeks that your complaining does nothing so stop complaining.

aerodino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: FREE AS THE WIND ENERGY

Throw a vote to the wind, please.

Jack31081

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
ya2sabes wrote:I'm down with it being pocket-positioned and, yea, sure, small, but maybe it could be a little bigger (though considering that its in the fog...well, i guess it works).

But mos def the colour, if you were stuck on green, should have been filled (though considering that its in the fog...ya know...)

I get the "bar should be filled" comment in regards to using green vs. red, and had I thought of that, I might have gone that way, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that people like complaining a whole lot more than they like being happy and content.

A shirt that insinuates "I need caffeine...don't bother me!" is going to be more popular than one that insinuates "I'm happy and full of energy!".

Perhaps I feel this way because I've been part of the workforce for 4 years now and I have to wake up at 7:30am every day (this is the latest I've ever been able to wake up on a weekday since college...it used to be no later than 6am)

zewkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zewkin
Re: Red Bulls Needa Java Fix Too!

Is he drinking a Cowfe Latte? *giggles*! I slay me! d-: Cute design.

nautikal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nautikal
uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:Thank you hailfox, Terribliz, Claudication! Glad you all like it!

Gaining momentum... keep it going!

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Re: The Carrot Crusader

He is a good looking, dashing guy. I wonder if I should introduce him to my parents?

Arnion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arnion
Re: Acoustic Energy = LIFE!!

Cool image, but the red on asphalt combination is rather hard on the eyes. Either change the image color or the shirt color?

Randor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Randor
Re: Potential Energy Diagram

A comparison of the potential energy in three objects.

Justification for the text: The text adds to the explanation of the design, however is not needed. Without the text, the design's meaning can still be found. Therefore, the text is not the focus of the design.

breckenedge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breckenedge

I like what you did with the stars and guitar silhouette.

WonderWooter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
Re: Pedal Power

love this shirt! I think it captures the concept of the derby well too

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

Solsburyhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Solsburyhill
Re: energy harvester

Amazing detail!

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: energy harvester

Awesome D!
Love the details (implied and otherwise)

Arkanist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arkanist

This WILL be the first woot shirt I buy, awesome entry, I really admire your skills.

Arkanist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arkanist
Re: Chasing Windmills

This WILL be the first woot shirt I ever buy, Awesome design.

tabrazinski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
sokowa wrote:EUCA-FIZZ: The energy drink for Koalas!

hilarious.

ruthsdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad
Re: Blue Flame

I like this one so much that I took back the votes I made for the others.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Arkanist wrote:This WILL be the first woot shirt I ever buy, Awesome design.

cool, thanks very much!

tabrazinski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
Re: Dream Eater.

i think this is the best shirt in the derby. hands down.

noonewiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noonewiser

sweet design ...

pnkifyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pnkifyd

actually...the red on asphalt is really great looking. GMV

thebigyarhoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebigyarhoo

What a shame! For those interested check out this link. A great book for laughs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Bunny_Suicides

prjensam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prjensam
Re: Wave Energy

Great Design!!

mpadberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpadberg

Awesome design! Too bad it was submitted so late in the voting.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

6 colors on brown - yes I know it's a late entry, but better late than never, right? hope folks like it.

NO, it's not a gradient in the dragonfly's tail. halftone dots no smaller than 1 pt.

daedalusknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
Re: energy fields

Nicely done. I always wondered where to charge my dragonfly. :-)

prjensam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prjensam

GREAT IDEA, GOOD DESIGN!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Energizing Bunnies

@toe2254 - Thanks. I'd like to say you're a cinch to place, but there are no guarantees... the fog-fighting seems to have passed and the circuit design seems firmly ensconced in the fog now. Hopefully you can hang on until the end... and I'm hoping I hang in the top ten.

@Aniphx - Is it the heart that puts it over the edge? This isn't a statement of love. Mug-bunny is bored and wants to play cards. Hearts is a good game.

@Schupo - Doesn't look likely, but thanks for the support.

@penclskrt - Your best bet right now would be Jack's coffee-battery design currently in the fog. There are still a few days though, so anything can happen, right?

Thanks for the comments everyone.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

radner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radner
mpadberg wrote:Awesome design! Too bad it was submitted so late in the voting.

Yeah I know - I sat and thought way too long and hard for this one. Then suddenly, I realized that I just needed to be simplistic in my design and adopt the "less is more" principle. Two hours later, walla!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the encouraging feedback. This is already, by far, my most successful design ever. So even if I don't win, I still feel like a winner! Thanks again!!!

curb1510

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
Re: Earth's Energy

ADDER: You refer to Woot designs as "this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. " Why then are you seeking over 30 Woot designs in the Random Shirt Trade thread?

As for your other criticism that Woot followers aren't looking for change...when I suggested a change in the cut of the women's t-shirt you automatically assumed the sexist position that this had something to do with women showing off their "knockers" (your term!) just to enable them to yell at any man who looks at them.

All in all, you seem like you're content to be a contrarian strictly for its own ends. You contradict yourself, what with this healthy appetite for more Woot dreck; you contradict others' desire for change, making misguided and, somewhat, paranoid assumptions as to why that change may be desireable and finally you leave behind the contrarian's hallmark: you defend yourself and offer very (or increasingly) little constructive criticism about the work in question.

Maybe you need another outlet for the vitriol...have you considered therapy instead of Woot!

Aniphx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aniphx

What'd I tell ya? It's in the top four. ^^

frostnova

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frostnova

gmv, love the red on the asphalt shirt... gives it a lot of energy. ;D

tallmidget

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget

gmv, but i think it would've been better if u hadn't just pasted and resized the same group of birds...u could've at least moved them around a little bit. But, nevertheless, still a very nice design...nice and simple.

asyrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asyrith
heartluce wrote:QFT.

Um, I'm male...what does QFT mean?

asyrith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asyrith
asyrith wrote:Um, I'm male...what does QFT mean?

Okies then, guess I can't same l-a-m-e. Woot filters amuse me.

jmoehrle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmoehrle
Re: Energy Strings

I like it a lot, but I'm worried about the ability to print it. Generally gradients don't print well, especially given the 6 color limit (someone told me that somewhere...)

Beer has food value but food has no beer value - Orin Smith