SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Pixel Gnome

There's something disturbing about the way he's staring at me... he just... stares. And stares. And stares.....

SydneyB

Briany wrote:One green and pixeled frog, sitting on a pixeled log, eating some most delicious bytes. He jumped into a pool, where it was nice and cool, then there were no green pixeled frogs . . . ribbit, ribbit.

Hehehe! I remember that song! remembered it slightly different for some reason...

Really nice effect with so few details. gmv

SydneyB

Re: Dark Branch

You're really hot in this derby!

SydneyB

AdderYXU

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AdderYXU
Re: tiger!

not that it matters but dude, very clearly over 6 colors.
a white
a grey maybe another grey
an orange
a brown
a green
a lime
and god knows how many pinks in the nose.

Steal other people's sigs, thanks.

tjflashman77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjflashman77
bluchez wrote:I find it curious how seriously you think this particular piece is violating one of the most subjective rules when your piece violated one of the least subjective rules.

Out of print area is pretty consistently rejected, IMO. A seemingly exaggerated size on a shirt is almost never (if ever) rejected. This is due to the fact that the artist is typically guessing how it will show on a given size shirt, and noone is completely clear how much of the shirt it should cover.

The "Out of Print Boundaries" rejections come from when a shirt is obviously designed to wrap around collar, is shown blatantly over a seam, or covers the entire shirt. In fact, there are times that even these violations haven't been rejected, when woot deems that the overall effect of the shirt will not be changed by the misrepresentation. For example, while this shirt was rejected for a comp violation, it was not even mentioned that it shouldn't be over the seam. This shirt, as well, stretched almost from top to bottom, wrapped around the collar, but was judged to not be rejectable. This was because the decision makers did not feel it would greatly hurt the overall impression of the printed shirt.

So, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that "more shirts have been rejected for less concerning the placement of the design within the given template" or that woot has been particularly inconsistent in this area.

First off, I will say that I fully expected my shirt to be rejected and was not surprised or upset when it was. I don't understand what my submission has to do with this one, and I "find it curious" that you think it's related. I submitted mine because I put at least 5 hours into it and saw it through to completion, knowing the rules and that it would be rejected, but no harm was done. I'm not the only person who's ever submitted something that they knew would be rejected, regardless if it's a joke entry or not.

I will say that I don't know that "Celebrity likenesses" are one of the least subjective rules, especially for first-time derby entrants. From Webster's;

ce·leb·ri·ty - noun 1 : the state of being celebrated : fame 2 : a famous or celebrated person

fa·mous - adjective 1 a: widely known b: honored for achievement 2: excellent, first-rate <famous weather for a walk>

My common sense tells me there is a difference between the celebrity of Whalt Whitman, Edgar Allen Poe, Lincoln, Washington, and Chairman Mao, and that of Marilyn Monroe, Chuck Norris, Ben Stiller, or Mike Bibby (though Bibby was probably rejected for other reasons). Speaking technically however, they are all famous and celebrated, and therefore are all celebrities. According to the definition of celebrity and the rule "no celebrity likenesses" none of these characters would pass muster, but, like many of the guidelines and rules of shirt.woot, the rules and guidelines that we try and work within are set by precedent, and often inconsistently.

While the cited examples of "Aaaarrghyle" shown covering the whole front of the shirt are an interesting defense, neither are shown on a shirt laid flat where the empty sides are visible from the front like the shirt shown above, and I don't see how they really set any precedent related to why this shirt doesn't break rules or over-exaggerate the guidelines in a fashion worthy of commentary. Even your clipart lion playing bass, though rather large and composed almost entirely of stock vectors, looks as if it stays inside a 4:5 rectangle that fits on the front of the shirt. The rectangle that would frame the height of this print does not fit width-wise onto the front of the shirt, even if it is negative space in the design. It does, in fact, cover the entire shirt, which is one of the reasons you gave for "Out of Print Boundaries" rejections. The printing screens, apparently, just aren't that big.
As for derekfilley's Nintendo Zapper design, it's just a poor example to give. How many times have you seen shirts that have violated multiple derby rules but have been given only one as reason for rejection? I've probably seen hundreds. The Rejectorator hardly has time to check in to do rejections during the weekends, I don't think they're concerned with the tedium of listing each individual offense. Sometimes they don't list the most obvious ones and other times they will even list the wrong reason for what I can only assume is comedic effect at the expense of the exasperated designer.
Here is an example from this derby of a design that got rejected for being too small. While it sets no new precedent and I understand the rejection there, I don't understand the lack of rejection from the design above that is shown too large. I just don't think when it's shown framed in a perimeter that it's really not all that subjective.

Lastly, "[the area] that woot has been particularly inconsistent in" that I was referring to was rejections in general. I'm sorry if that wasn't very clear, but you seem to have made a few presumptions about my comments regarding this shirt. I apologize for coming off as malcontent. While I didn't vote for this design, I have nothing against this designer or design aside from feeling that it benefits from over-enthusiastically stretching the template in which it's placed inside. If I wrongly attacked this shirt it is only for that reason, and I apologize to the designer. I will leave policing to the woot overlords in the future. I'm aware of how long this turned out and, in all honesty, writing this out just wasn't worth it. I take issue only with woot's inconsistency in rejections, and quite truthfully I don't care if this design violates the rules nearly as much as you presume that I do, blu... but I did feel that I had the right to say that it does without the implications that it's somehow related to my rejected design.

Greatest song ever written about JFK here. NSFW... or children... or anyone who's offended by the idea that JFK might have been a robot... fair warning.

gambit07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gambit07
cheesesandwich wrote:Much appreciated!

man everyones right on the edge, this one's gunna be a nailbiter

saucyasian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saucyasian
cainja1 wrote:There is only one shade of red in this design. The two hearts looks like different colors because our eyes do not perceive colors by the sole color itself but by the surrounding colors or lack thereof. The top heart rests inbetweeen the black lines and our eyes perceive the red in relation to the black. The bottom heart rests ON the black lines and our eyes perceive the red in relation to the blue. This is why they look to be two separate colors

WHOA!!! COOL!!! Thanks for that great explanation cainja1.

shibz0r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shibz0r
Re: Ribbit

sorry, i have to say it--- why is he sitting on a penis

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
tjflashman77 wrote:Nice Post

Nice Post.

boni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boni
bvillarreal wrote:Oops! I keep forgetting that other people in this house log onto woot - I'll try to remember to use my own id from now on - I think your step-brother would appreciate that!

Just finally reading comments... cockeyed from pixalating? hehe... I won't go there! 1432

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
AdderYXU wrote:not that it matters but dude, very clearly over 6 colors.
a white
an orange
a brown
a green
a lime

You make a terrible doppelganger, since you don't have a brain

White, Gray, Orange, Darker Orange, Green (only one) and Pink. And the black background. That's 6 inks plus the shirt.

Seriously, if you want to use my identity to snark about, you're a pansy. If you want to use my identity to try to discredit me, you need to not be a total WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES!. Seriously.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
pennglendinning wrote:I wish there was a weight limit on woot accounts

I have no clue what you're talking about, but I don't think any weight limits will exist on a site that sells as many 3x shirts as woot does

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
AdderYXU wrote:not that it matters but dude, very clearly over 6 colors.
a white
an orange
a brown
a green
a lime

yawn. is that all? go back to the SA forums, dude. I hear someone posted a picture of Admiral Ackbar without an "It's a trap!" caption.

iczer2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iczer2
Re: Sunset 3.0

Incredible use of color. Especially the use of the red shirt. Very nice. GMV.

Rostam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rostam
Re: The Music Matrix

Yet another bassoonist here, and I agree with the others here that this is the only shirt in this derby that I'd buy (except maybe Uncle Walt). Good luck!

cheesesandwich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheesesandwich
gambit07 wrote:man everyones right on the edge, this one's gunna be a nailbiter

wow, now even that giraffe is making a move! this is nuts. I am beyond nervous.

meatcircus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meatcircus
Re: Shadow Skull

It's been a while since woot had a good skull shirt up. It's a shame this one is so low on votes. I would buy immediately.

nooliegoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nooliegoo

It reminds me a lot of Lynette May's artwork... I like it, too cute!

I stole fizzy lifting drinks.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: (W)Right Angle Neutrality

Last few hours. Wow. What a week. Thanks everybody for keeping this in contention. Didn't pay attention overnight, so I have no idea where I stand. But, it is all very exciting!!

See y'all at noon when the new theme is announced.

penclskrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penclskrt

really cool concept and great execution. gmv.

darkbladearts

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darkbladearts
Re: blue angel

This should so be fogged! It has my vote for sure. It's a fair bit behind, but maybe it'll come in at the last minute? I hope so.. I'm not interested in purchasing the ones up right now, but I'd LOVE to buy this shirt.

Sewcrazy411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sewcrazy411

Frank did it better...

treymdnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treymdnc
uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:Just thought 8-bit bombs would look cool.

I think you're right. They look supercool.

Trey

dmf8625

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmf8625

How does the (W)right Angle shirt stay in the fog, and this one is in like 7th place??? A buch of lines and color vs. a beautiful fox with great pixel work. Hmmmm...which would I want????

Great shirt, and I wish I could buy it in this derby

cainja1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainja1
cheesesandwich wrote:wow, now even that giraffe is making a move! this is nuts. I am beyond nervous.

That stupid giraffe is taking your lead... This is the only shirt in the fog worth voting for and the only one I would actually buy. These voters need to get their heads checked

darkstarfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkstarfire

Man I didn't think kittybean would be so popular.

darkstarfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkstarfire
Re: Kittybean

Go kittybean go!

etripoli

quality posts: 18 Private Messages etripoli
Re: I Eat Soap

Bizarre and funny, love it!

cheesesandwich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheesesandwich
bluchez wrote:Nice Post.

What an epic comeback you have made, Giraffe. Well played. I can't say I am not sad. This has been a rough week.

Congrats to you!

etripoli

Re: Sunset 3.0

Two trees and a giraffe (as tall as a tree) in the fog. Great variety X-P

etripoli

Re: Dancerbot

C'mon, just a few more votes to break into the top 100...You can do it!

kick3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kick3
Re: The Music Matrix

You just don't see enough music references today......especially when you're a musician. And in reponse to eralier posts...

Vocalist > Instrumentalist :P Ah the age old struggle

aroura669

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aroura669
Re: Wall Pixels

How did this get bumped?!?!?! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a last second comeback!

klswoot

etripoli wrote:C'mon, just a few more votes to break into the top 100...You can do it!

I gave you my vote. Hope you break into the top 100!

klswoot

aroura669 wrote:How did this get bumped?!?!?! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a last second comeback!

I love this one too. I'd love for Cheese and I to both make the final 3. It's a difficult situation to be in because I like this shirt, but it's in direct competition with mine. Wish we could get both in the top 3.

johncreillyphile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncreillyphile

Oh no. This is going to lose unless it gets some votes in the next 7 minutes.

etripoli

klswoot wrote:I gave you my vote. Hope you break into the top 100!

Sweet!

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm

My god that last 5 minutes was tense... I think you made it cheesy. Good luck!

>insert funny quote here<

sharnar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharnar

i love this shirt! congrats