SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
czardha wrote:I love this shirt! I'm new to shirt.woot!, can I vote on this or something to make it happen?

Voting ended at noon Central today. This shirt is in the top 4 and is predicted to be #1, so it will probably be printed this weekend. Keep your eye out for it (starting tonight)!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Famine Famine Hippos

@dmkooo - Haha, thanks! I don't think I'm nearly good enough to quit school and do this for a living. I haven't even finished in the money once! Thank-you for your confidence though.

@thatrobert - Huzzah! Gotta love that badge.

@EasyE - Thanks for the enthusiasm. I don't think any entries from this derby will be going into the double-take derby. HMs are generally announced on Monday and the Double-Take will be starting on Friday. Even if I'm lucky enough to get an HM again, I think we'll have to wait another six months for it to appear.

Thanks for the top ten finish everyone!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
invisiblecrazy wrote:To answer the question of WHY:

(2) the right to create derivative works, (emphasis mine)

By this definition, since sokowa's work wasn't directly parody, and looked vaguely like one of his cartoons, it could be considered derivative and therefore woot could be sued.

i realize you're playing devil's advocate here e, but Gary Larson having the right to create derivative works in no way shape or form prevents ANYONE from using a similar idea unless it's a direct copy of Larson's artistic style. Woot's suffering from severe suephobia to the point of paranoia.

vertigosia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vertigosia
kamming wrote:Resub please.
This must be my breakfast shirt! >:O!

I'm not honestly sure how re-submitting works.

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
Stexe wrote:One of the few red shirts I'd wear -- it just looks so unique.

Thank you Stexe. That's great to hear! Very much appreciated.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
invisiblecrazy wrote:To answer the question of WHY:

My impression is that woot is terrified of being sued--so anything with even the *hint* of copyright, from an estate large enough to sue, has them scuttling for cover.

The Far Side® and the Larson® signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.
Copyright © 2000, 2007 FarWorks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Gary Larson's The Far Side is syndicated by Creator's Syndicate, as well.

All this means there's lots of money and lawyers behind Larson's protection of copyright, and lawyers on retainer like to issue cease and desist notices and are quite willing to sue for their clients at the drop of a hat.

"The purpose of copyright law is to encourage creative work by granting a temporary monopoly in an author's original creations. This monopoly takes the form of six rights in areas where the author retains exclusive control. These rights are:

(1) the right of reproduction (i.e., copying),
(2) the right to create derivative works, (emphasis mine)
(3) the right to distribution,
(4) the right to performance,
(5) the right to display, and
(6) the digital transmission performance right."
By this definition, since sokowa's work wasn't directly parody, and looked vaguely like one of his cartoons, it could be considered derivative and therefore woot could be sued.

The rejection was based on money, plain and simple. Selling a few thousand shirts pales in comparison to the money they would risk by being sued, plus the ordeal of a lawsuit and the possibility of losing.

cf http://www.chillingeffects.org/linking/notice.cgi?NoticeID=11241
and http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=7227

All this is my take on the issue, of course, considering the pattern of rejections, and the comments on the past rejections about the estate of so-and-so suing them.
This was my geekly post for the day.

Interesting and well written post.
But I think derivative is a derivative of the two fish playing baseball hitting it through the bowl

Another way to see it is using a song analogy.
Medium = Song
Subject = Love
Details = The first time I saw you
Copyrightable parts = actual lyrics and notes

Medium = Shirt (or comic)
Subject = Fish
Details = Fish hitting something out of the bowl
Copyrightable parts = actual physical drawing itself. If you want to add in the actual baseball stuff then so be it

Music and even many shirts (some on this site even) can be very close to each other but still lack the fine details that would make something copyrighted.
For what it's worth, I was in San Antonio in 2001 at a Video Game Developer Conference in a room surrounded my copyright lawyers from Sony, Electronic Arts, Microsoft and a few other companies. I was the only artist in the round table discussion. I posed many issues to them and not ONE solid answer came from them when I asked how far do you have to go before something is considered the same or not, so lawyers guess at the vague stuff just as much as anyone else. The only thing they agreed on is a DIRECT reference to something (a photo of a building, sampling textures right from another game, etc) was an offense.

And the links to the two letters from Farworks mention actual farside works, not "art that has the same idea as a farside cartoon" (unless I missed it, which is possible)

jovikowi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovikowi
haxrox wrote:I'd be happy to discuss how I thought of this without foreknowledge of the other designs. PM me and we can talk about how many people can have similar ideas, like how there apparently are a couple apocalyptic forecast designs already out there

Just another two cents from another multiple Shirt Woot buyer...this shirt is great EXACTLY as it is. The "jaggies" are appropriate, since it is supposed to look like a weather graphic from TV or a IE4-friendly website. As others have mentioned, the text temperatures are part of the joke and absolutely belong there.

I hope it is printed. I will buy one, maybe even two or three--I can think of a couple of people who would love this shirt. Excellent job, haxrox. My favorite design so far.

And for those who feel the need to critique / hate on this design: DON'T BUY IT. More copies for me and my friends. Thanks for not clogging up the order system.

papermarq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages papermarq

Wish itwould've fogged, I'm loving the Guide reference.

Don't forget: With Lacuna, you CAN forget!

invisiblecrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invisiblecrazy
toe2254 wrote:i realize you're playing devil's advocate here e, but Gary Larson having the right to create derivative works in no way shape or form prevents ANYONE from using a similar idea unless it's a direct copy of Larson's artistic style. Woot's suffering from severe suephobia to the point of paranoia.

I absolutely and totally agree. :-)
Yes, that was my DA hat.

Sarcasm makes the person who uses it look ugly.
Hyperbole makes the person who uses it look taller.

invisiblecrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invisiblecrazy
sokowa wrote:Interesting and well written post.
But I think derivative is a derivative of the two fish playing baseball hitting it through the bowl

Another way to see it is using a song analogy.
Medium = Song
Subject = Love
Details = The first time I saw you
Copyrightable parts = actual lyrics and notes

Medium = Shirt (or comic)
Subject = Fish
Details = Fish hitting something out of the bowl
Copyrightable parts = actual physical drawing itself. If you want to add in the actual baseball stuff then so be it

Music and even many shirts (some on this site even) can be very close to each other but still lack the fine details that would make something copyrighted.
For what it's worth, I was in San Antonio in 2001 at a Video Game Developer Conference in a room surrounded my copyright lawyers from Sony, Electronic Arts, Microsoft and a few other companies. I was the only artist in the round table discussion. I posed many issues to them and not ONE solid answer came from them when I asked how far do you have to go before something is considered the same or not, so lawyers guess at the vague stuff just as much as anyone else. The only thing they agreed on is a DIRECT reference to something (a photo of a building, sampling textures right from another game, etc) was an offense.

And the links to the two letters from Farworks mention actual farside works, not "art that has the same idea as a farside cartoon" (unless I missed it, which is possible)

The two links provided were for examples of the syndication's propensity to send C&D letters...

I personally think it was completely wrong for woot to reject your design, and I liked it a lot, so please don't take my post as siding with them or feeling they were in the right at all!

Sarcasm makes the person who uses it look ugly.
Hyperbole makes the person who uses it look taller.

blackelegend88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackelegend88
kaligoose wrote:I would actually enjoy wearing this a lot... I love the colors.

yeah. great design n color. love it

Hexarobi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hexarobi
Re: Just in the nick of time!

really nice work

dmkooo

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo

(sigh) Always the...best man?

drewdoog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewdoog
Re: aMEHrica

I would like to see the 'EL REJECTO' term in the bubble and this run as a political derby. that would have my vote!

drewdoog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewdoog
Re: One Bar

its an iphone 3g!
sorry, i couldnt control myself.
I digg the shirt

peacefrog72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peacefrog72

I want this shirt...

lyonessnyc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonessnyc
Re: Whale and Petunias

It's too late now, but I hope you manage to get this printed *somewhere*. It's brilliant, and I bet it would sell well to the Hitchhikers' crowd. Heck, I bet it would go over well at ComicCon! Let us know if you take it elsewhere! (I'm not sure, how, but I'd hope there would be a way to let us know...)

phr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phr

I like this a lot and would buy at least one. It is better than the apocalyptic one or the other one that was so unmemorable that I've forgotten it after just 1 minute or so. I would not make any changes to the godzilla version including the temperature jump.

jones21403

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jones21403
illuminator wrote:Almost up to a hundred votes! This will be my firs time making it to 100, c'mon and VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

Congrats on the 100+! My wife and I heard your plea and gave you two votes this morning.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Blind, but Not Helpless

This one got robbed. It was a great concept, excellently drawn, and totally passed over by the woot voters. Damn shame. Good job Arnion!

otakuman706

quality posts: 1 Private Messages otakuman706

I love this shirt. I'm really hoping it ends up being picked. Kudos to the designer.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
illuminator wrote:Almost up to a hundred votes! This will be my firs time making it to 100, c'mon and VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!

You did it!

Now if only you'd gotten a few more hundred so I could've bought this shirt. l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

geminiturbolaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geminiturbolaser
Re: Tuesday is gonna be rough (resub)

I pray this shirt is offered. I think five or so of my friends are going to buy this one. If only the monster were fire-breathing. That would be the only way to make this shirt better.

Hopey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hopey
haxrox wrote:... like how there apparently are a couple apocalyptic forecast designs already out there

Your's looks more like this one to me.

ji5mmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ji5mmy

You need to repost this shirt in the double take derby since somehow a bunch of idiots didn't vote for the greatest shirt of the week. This is a shirt that everyone needs to see being worn and I must own it.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
ji5mmy wrote:You need to repost this shirt in the double take derby since somehow a bunch of idiots didn't vote for the greatest shirt of the week. This is a shirt that everyone needs to see being worn and I must own it.

I would but the derby shirts for the double-take derby were picked before hand. there is no way to submit it. This design will be up on threadless in 60 days if woot doesn't print it this week. I am going to ask if they will print it as a daily. I am just as bummed as you are that this didnt win third.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
dsladek wrote:I would but the derby shirts for the double-take derby were picked before hand. there is no way to submit it. This design will be up on threadless in 60 days if woot doesn't print it this week. I am going to ask if they will print it as a daily. I am just as bummed as you are that this didnt win third.

So if woot doesn't print this, you'll put it up in Threadless? Can you let me know if that happens?

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
tgentry wrote:Dsladek, you blow me away every week with your illustration skills. Those kids are hilarious, I could see a D&D nerd animated series with these characters.

I think something similar was already done. Check out "Welcome to Eltingville" based on the Evan Dorkin "Dork" comics, published by Slave Labor Graphics.

Stexe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe
endangeredomega wrote:I think something similar was already done. Check out "Welcome to Eltingville" based on the Evan Dorkin "Dork" comics, published by Slave Labor Graphics.

Unfortuantly only the pilot was produced and no one signed the show. The first episode was hilarious, too bad it wasn't greenlit. :-/

martenthegreat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martenthegreat

I'm going to have to get this one, because it's hilarious, but I also have to say that anyone dressed like that would be kicked right out of any official Larping event. For Dagorhir, anyway.

dsladek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Wonderbunny wrote:So if woot doesn't print this, you'll put it up in Threadless? Can you let me know if that happens?

sure thing. I will let everyone on woot know

stuntman87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stuntman87

im so glad i caught this shirt it was my first of many that im goona get THANKS

stuntman87

awesome concept

stuntman87

i love this shirt but im not sure if i can vote yet but i have bought 1 shirt before

stuntman87

Re: Helter Skelter

i like this shirt but i guess im too late

stuntman87

im not diggin the color but i love the design

mrmessma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmessma
Re: Emergantcy

Does this look like Mr Hanky to anybody else?

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
thatrobert wrote:

thanks that robert

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
dsladek wrote:dude this is Awesome! great work all around! this is definitely one of my favorites.

Thanks dsladek

alanlusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alanlusa
Re: Sudden Death

WANT WANT WANT