redghia69 wrote:Thanks crocofish, I'm glad you're still a fan of the design. I don't wish to repost that entire bit about the design process here, but it's still in the original entry thread, about half way down for anyone interested. Don't forget that the "vote" button is here for this derby though! ;)
Here is the text the redghia69 mentioned...
This design started as a pencil sketch of the framework, about 8x10, which I scanned in and drew over in Corel Draw (a vector drawing program) so I could be precise with all the parallel lines.
The red lines (going all the way to the edges) were added to allow me to use the magic wand to select the outside areas, which were otherwise unbound. I exported that as an .ai file (still vector based) and opened it in PhotoShop at 16x20, 300dpi, anti-aliased unchecked. (I hadn’t noticed the “anti-aliased” checkbox before. Good to know.)
The rest was about selecting each cell and painting inside them, which I did one at a time. Some cells took a few tries to get the right color combination. The outside cells (where most of the green is, and where I was trying to suggest “tree” or at least leafiness) were painted individually and later en-masse, with the thought of bringing them together a little more.
For the painting itself, I created a “brush” from another shape I made in Corel Draw
and set up some randomization of placement (“Scattering” under “Brushes” in PhotoShop) to keep it from being too “perfect”. I used a tablet to do the painting -- a tablet wasn’t exactly necessary for this design, but it was of course nice to have, and I used the pressure sensitivity to control the size of the lines. (Another brush setting was used to keep the lines from getting too small -- woot won’t guarantee a line under 4-5 pixels at 300 dpi will print.)
That was the method, but there was more experimentation. My first attempt at this design had the paint lines following the angles of the framework, but it was really hard to make out what the picture was supposed to be. I didn’t even keep a copy. It took a little more experimentation before I realized horizontal paint alone was going to work the best.
I hope that proves insightful!