+ Add a Comment

lunartan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Re: Sashimi Hunters Woodcut

damn amazing linework. brown...qq

lunartan

Re: MINE!

Either this fat greedy king (not on cream?llo) or El Prospector Cansado needs to print next week.

lunartan

Re: this shirt

stunning... great sw themed design/art

redghia69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redghia69
crocofish wrote:Really liked this design when it was originally submitted. It has interesting textures, and looks more like art than cartoon. Somewhere in the original derby thread, the artist showed the step by step process of how it was made.

Thanks crocofish, I'm glad you're still a fan of the design. I don't wish to repost that entire bit about the design process here, but it's still in the original entry thread, about half way down for anyone interested. Don't forget that the "vote" button is here for this derby though! ;)

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Voted for this.

yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat !

Jestik

Jestik

Re: Don't Fall Asleep

love it. I'd buy this no problem........

nightflesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nightflesh

afohey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afohey
Re: Mobius Strip

Cmon people vote more! I love this shirt!

johncreillyphile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johncreillyphile
Webfoot08 wrote:I have to agree on Revolution 9. And the best Beatles song is the entire Abbey Road album.

Revolution 9 killed Sharon Tate.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
jesterg86 wrote:Love the idea, but I'd like to see a different message hidden, like "stop staring at my chest" or something funnier than subliminal message.

Would a designer be allowed to resub this design in this derby with a different message?

Hi - thanks for your interest. Someone else actually made the same comment near the end of the derby this was originally in. No, woot won't let me change anything about it. But, if it doesn't get printed here then I can change it for another site.

barnapkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnapkins
Re: It's kind of like sonar...

Freaking Genius.

barnapkins

Re: The Vampire Cactus

This shirt is like square hardboiled eggs its freaking genius!

barnapkins

Re: variation on a dream

Prime Ribb, Prime Ribb freaking genius!!

traildragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages traildragon
Re: Attack of the Summer Blockbusters!

That this fell out of the fog for - yup - another bird shirt is a joke right?

Man...I'm beginning to become ultra-disappointed in shirt.woot lately.

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Re: energy harvester

This is an amazing design. I'm extremely picky about what I buy here, and usually only go for the flowery, girly stuff, but I'm a lifelong fan of sci-fi too, so this one will be a definite purchase. And thank you, thank you, thank you for NOT putting it on asphalt. Cranberry works just fine. Love it, GMV.

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio
Re: Three if by sea...

I like this one

msj11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msj11
redghia69 wrote:Thanks crocofish, I'm glad you're still a fan of the design. I don't wish to repost that entire bit about the design process here, but it's still in the original entry thread, about half way down for anyone interested. Don't forget that the "vote" button is here for this derby though! ;)

Here is the text the redghia69 mentioned...

This design started as a pencil sketch of the framework, about 8x10, which I scanned in and drew over in Corel Draw (a vector drawing program) so I could be precise with all the parallel lines.

The red lines (going all the way to the edges) were added to allow me to use the magic wand to select the outside areas, which were otherwise unbound. I exported that as an .ai file (still vector based) and opened it in PhotoShop at 16x20, 300dpi, anti-aliased unchecked. (I hadn’t noticed the “anti-aliased” checkbox before. Good to know.)

The rest was about selecting each cell and painting inside them, which I did one at a time. Some cells took a few tries to get the right color combination. The outside cells (where most of the green is, and where I was trying to suggest “tree” or at least leafiness) were painted individually and later en-masse, with the thought of bringing them together a little more.

For the painting itself, I created a “brush” from another shape I made in Corel Draw

and set up some randomization of placement (“Scattering” under “Brushes” in PhotoShop) to keep it from being too “perfect”. I used a tablet to do the painting -- a tablet wasn’t exactly necessary for this design, but it was of course nice to have, and I used the pressure sensitivity to control the size of the lines. (Another brush setting was used to keep the lines from getting too small -- woot won’t guarantee a line under 4-5 pixels at 300 dpi will print.)

That was the method, but there was more experimentation. My first attempt at this design had the paint lines following the angles of the framework, but it was really hard to make out what the picture was supposed to be. I didn’t even keep a copy. It took a little more experimentation before I realized horizontal paint alone was going to work the best.

I hope that proves insightful!

rgowens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgowens

Love it. And just in time for the King of Pop's birthday.

ZeroZilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeroZilla
Re: Sashimi Hunters Woodcut

My favorite sashimi... I can't vote (until I buy this shirt), so would somebody undecided vote this for me?

buu2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buu2
Webfoot08 wrote:This is an amazing design. I'm extremely picky about what I buy here, and usually only go for the flowery, girly stuff, but I'm a lifelong fan of sci-fi too, so this one will be a definite purchase. And thank you, thank you, thank you for NOT putting it on asphalt. Cranberry works just fine. Love it, GMV.

It's Wall-e!!!! Just more complex and rusted than eve.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Built to Last (resub)

awesome, gmv!

eyebrowsoffire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eyebrowsoffire
Re: Terror of the Deep

I want this shirt so bad...

Donkeypunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Donkeypunter
Re: Tension at the Dumpster (resub)

I can't believe this didn't win last time! Well, you GMV again. Good luck!

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley
daftvillain wrote:Anything with a reference to Dr. Strangelove has got my vote.

She sure is cuter than Slim Pickens.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
stingray69 wrote:Oh man, if you made it an asian spider and gave the flies smiles you could call it "Cheery Cheese Flies".

Better yet, I could make it an asian "Jet Li" spider and have it "Kung-Fu" yo momma!

Phishisgr8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phishisgr8

100% agree. This is my favorite Edgar. I am absolutely enamored with this incredible design!

klswoot wrote:Still one of my favorite designs! Hope it clicks with the voters this time around. I adore this drawing!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Bug is Beautiful

This is one of my fave Sokowa designs. Love it!

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
johncreillyphile wrote:Revolution 9 killed Sharon Tate.

Give me a break.

Hexarobi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hexarobi
Re: Inspired by Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love

This would go great with http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1851821

I'll buy any shirt with a They Might Be Giants reference that nobody will ever get.

But I'm a niche.

skelator818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skelator818
Re: It's Ours Now

Love it! Conspiracy theorists unite!

Come on Bandolier of Carrots!

Hexarobi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hexarobi
Re: 1975

I said it before and I'll say it again. This Nixon by himself on a shirt would rock.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Home is where you make it

This week's theme was a great welcome home present. I get to see some of my old favorites - like this one!

rachinha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachinha
Re: Energizing Bunnies

This one is so cute, but I was really hoping for a second chance for "yay friendz", i wanted that shirt so much!

marinasiena

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marinasiena

i dont understand why they did it but i NEED it to win!

This is my sig line. Thank you for reading it.

marinasiena

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marinasiena

I NEED it to win!

This is my sig line. Thank you for reading it.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: El Prospector Cansado

Thanks for all the prospector support. I had a nagging feeling it just doesn't have that kind of mass appeal, but I appreciate the support from those of you that like it.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
nightflesh wrote:This one is good.

You have good taste.

rpjoaquin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rpjoaquin
Re: Safety Patrol

hell yeah, this is childhood

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Attack of the Summer Blockbusters!

I loved this shirt in the Summer Derby, and wished it could've gotten printed with some type of tie so the others got printed too...

hopeful that this will move back into the fog!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!