+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Where would we be without the elements, those 117 different atoms that form the building blocks of all matter? Nowhere, that's where. So pick one of your faves and celebrate it in a t-shirt design. You can depict the atom, show us something made from it, riff on the name, whatever - as long as the focal point of your design is one element and only one element. (So, for instance, "water" or "nitrous oxide" would be off-limits as themes because two elements get more or less equal billing.)

Make the element the first word in the title of your entry, followed by a colon and the rest of your title (e.g., "Helium: the Silent Killer").

For this Derby, incidental text is allowed.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #56 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.You should also look at this help thread by tgentry.

This derby has an INCIDENTAL TEXT RULE. That means non-focal point text is allowed; no slogan shirts. If it's the main part of your design you may want to reconsider. The rule was created to allow things like numbers on a clock or text on signs. Ya know, incidental stuff. This rule is also called the STOP SIGN RULE.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

brydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brydesign

Whoa - i was terrible at science, not sure i can do much with this.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

riff on the name

please don't promote the clip art god.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

This should be a really fun derby, but I hope we don't see too many clipart atoms. Too much to hope for?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

fascinating. I don't know what to think. Hey, Adder, do you know of any great paintings of an element? ;^)

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i guess Strunk & White are out?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:This should be a really fun derby, but I hope we don't see too many clipart atoms. Too much to hope for?

I would like to think no one would be so uninteresting to put atomic structures or anything, but I'd never put it past some people.

If only this theme was given to a group of creative people who don't hack around with clipart, we'd have some interesting stuff.

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert
no1 wrote:i guess Strunk & White are out?

Ha!

mookusmaximus05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mookusmaximus05

so can we combine them or do they have to be on there own?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mookusmaximus05 wrote:so can we combine them or do they have to be on there own?

WootBot wrote:...as long as the focal point of your design is one element and only one element.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Geez. Not sure how I'll pull this one off.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:

so that means i can combine them, right?

mookusmaximus05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mookusmaximus05
Josephus wrote:

wish we could

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

Can't get too excited for this. Hopefully we will see some great puns.

Raikus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raikus

I think what's throwing me the most is "focal point." So you CAN have more than one elements as long as only one is prominent? For instance, one large element bullying multiple smaller elements. And then what constitutes is something is prominent enough or not? So much evil, possibly rejectionable gray area.

And this derby screams for moderate text.

eHalcyon

Question - since this is supposed to be our favourite element, does that mean if we submit multiple designs they'll have to be about the same element?

Raikus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raikus
eHalcyon wrote:Question - since this is supposed to be our favourite element, does that mean if we submit multiple designs they'll have to be about the same element?

You could always have a change of heart

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny

I wonder how picky can you be regarding the element...can you use carbon 14 if you want or should it just be carbon.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

I thought this might be a theme eventually. Wish I'd begun thinking about it earlier. Hhhhmmmmm...don't have a clue what I'll do yet.

eHalcyon

Wonderbunny wrote:I wonder how picky can you be regarding the element...can you use carbon 14 if you want or should it just be carbon.

Carbon 14 is still carbon. Isotopes are fair game, I would say.

Here's some musical inspiration if anyone needs it. Also doubles as a refresher course on the periodic table.

bargainbin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbin

Here is my first idea. Neon is used in signs, and high voltage indicators - so I made a sign warning about high voltage to tie it in. Neon naturally glows reddish.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
bargainbin wrote:Here is my first idea. Neon is used in signs, and high voltage indicators - so I made a sign warning about high voltage to tie it in. Neon naturally glows reddish.

Wow, that really does look like it's glowing. Neat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

cainja1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainja1
Raikus wrote:I think what's throwing me the most is "focal point." So you CAN have more than one elements as long as only one is prominent? For instance, one large element bullying multiple smaller elements. And then what constitutes is something is prominent enough or not? So much evil, possibly rejectionable gray area.

And this derby screams for moderate text.

I think the rules are pretty clear on this one. "One element and only one element." The point of the derby is to see how you can design a shirt that focuses on one element. I'm sure you can interact that element with other nonelemental things to make your design unique - I think that's what it means by focus.

OmniSilence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OmniSilence

Wow! I must be quite the nerd because this sounds really exciting and I love science!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

My prediction is a lot of spheres with cutesy smiley faces. Also at least one sphere with Einsteins hair and face on it.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
tgentry wrote:My prediction is a lot of spheres with cutesy smiley faces. Also at least one sphere with Einsteins hair and face on it.

Shhhhh!!! Don't reveal what you plan on doing!!!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

JadenKale wrote:Shhhhh!!! Don't reveal what you plan on doing!!!!

Hahah, those are freebies. I'll keep thinking....

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
tgentry wrote:My prediction is a lot of spheres with cutesy smiley faces.

It's probably not a good sign that I also assumed this is what many people would do...

Check out my blog:Here!

BOChunter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BOChunter

So I am not a designer, nor do I have the time, but I think a play on being a good Sm (samarium) would be funny (but is that incidental?). Really, I am chemist, so anything with an element on it is great. Even a nice design with the elemental information for Co would be great (white lettering on blue). Or something no one would get, like 'Ar smells' or corny, like 'Pirates love Ar'. Or, to totally dork it up, have 238U (you have to superscript the isotope before the abbreviation) leading all of its children along, which would be all the isotopes in the decay chain down to 206Pb (http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/understand/chain.html#u_decay). Pretty worthless comment, I know.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
tgentry wrote:Also at least one sphere with Einsteins hair and face on it.

I also anticipate this.

srglancey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
BOChunter wrote:So I am not a designer, nor do I have the time, but I think a play on being a good Sm (samarium) would be funny (but is that incidental?). Really, I am chemist, so anything with an element on it is great. Even a nice design with the elemental information for Co would be great (white lettering on blue). Or something no one would get, like 'Ar smells' or corny, like 'Pirates love Ar'. Or, to totally dork it up, have 238U (you have to superscript the isotope before the abbreviation) leading all of its children along, which would be all the isotopes in the decay chain down to 206Pb (http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/understand/chain.html#u_decay). Pretty worthless comment, I know.

wow, great ideas. keep 'em comin'.

7oC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 7oC

I'm no good at actually desgning but I thought of a couple things, if anyone wants to use them.

Dubnium (105) could be given a cowboy hat, among various other things relating to our current president. The Indium 500 with a bunch of racing atoms. Argon being a pirate. Also a some various metals (I had a girder and some tin foil) standing around a puddle of Mercury.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
BOChunter wrote:So I am not a designer, nor do I have the time, but I think a play on being a good Sm (samarium) would be funny (but is that incidental?). Really, I am chemist, so anything with an element on it is great. Even a nice design with the elemental information for Co would be great (white lettering on blue). Or something no one would get, like 'Ar smells' or corny, like 'Pirates love Ar'. Or, to totally dork it up, have 238U (you have to superscript the isotope before the abbreviation) leading all of its children along, which would be all the isotopes in the decay chain down to 206Pb (http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/understand/chain.html#u_decay). Pretty worthless comment, I know.

not worthless at all. i doubt many of us know anything about elements beyond the basics. i've been scouring wiki for inspiration and i think i have a good idea, but this is some great stuff. thanks!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

I wonder if you can safely use the atomic symbol as a prominent part of your design.

srglancey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
theinfinityloop wrote:I wonder if you can safely use the atomic symbol as a prominent part of your design.

I wouldn't. I think that would be "prominent text" not incidental.

ZeroGravityRun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeroGravityRun

New here, with a question - so would the focus of this design be too much on the Egyptian theme, and not enough on the fact that it'll be done as neon? Working title, Neon: The Sun God Ra

removed

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

edit

ZeroGravityRun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZeroGravityRun
theinfinityloop wrote:I was wondering about this myself, because I have an Egyptian sort of idea too. Mine is for gold though.

Gold is great for an Egyptian theme. Hope we can find out soon.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
theinfinityloop wrote:I was wondering about this myself, because I have an Egyptian sort of idea too. Mine is for gold though.

mine's also egyptian, at least partially.