+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Nothing conjures up the feeling of gentle ocean breezes and lush tropical mountains like the distinctive visual iconography of the Pacific islands. Tiki idols and thatched huts, grass skirts and hibiscus, wild pig roasting over an open fire, long wooden canoes carved into intricate works of art, moonlight on the waves: just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas. There's a reason this exotic, bold, seductive visual style got so big in post-WWII America and remains a retro favorite today. We're not necessarily looking for anthropological accuracy - just designs that use this visual vocabulary. Aloha - and good luck!

No text this week.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #59 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.You should also look at this help thread by tgentry.

This derby has a NO TEXT rule. That means absolutely none, not even numbers on a clock face. That includes any symbols you'll find on a computer keyboard as well as foreign scripts (no Asian text). And before you think about being tricky, the infinity sign is text. The point is the DRAW A PICTURE. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

Nice! Sounds great! I know what I'm doing.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

brydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brydesign

Brilliant! Ugh now what to do!

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale

yay!

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

"anthropological"...Nice.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I am SOOO on this!

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Great theme!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Aloha tikis!

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

I need an awesome Tiki god/Pigmy type shirt...

I hope to see a lot...

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

Tiki, the style I know the least about... this should be interesting.

JadenKale

Patchitect wrote:Aloha tikis!

Yeah I've gotten good at drawing tikis... not that far off from my totem pole during Canada week

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

So like all the fake-cowboy-style shirts in the Western derby, how many fake-hawaiian shirts are we going to see this week?

I'm predicting a buttload of hibiscus flowers and palm trees and anthropomorphized dolphins and hula girls and cutesy girly rubbish this time around. [sigh]

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot

This one sounds like it'll be fun!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
endangeredomega wrote:So like all the fake-cowboy-style shirts in the Western derby, how many fake-hawaiian shirts are we going to see this week?

I'm predicting a buttload of hibiscus flowers and palm trees and anthropomorphized dolphins and hula girls and cutesy girly rubbish this time around. [sigh]

yeah, you should probably just not look.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
klswoot wrote:This one sounds like it'll be fun!

i agree

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

endangeredomega wrote:So like all the fake-cowboy-style shirts in the Western derby, how many fake-hawaiian shirts are we going to see this week?

You do appear to be obsessed with "girly" designs. Maybe you should try getting one to prove your point. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

mollib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollib

Would love a great hibiscus shirt!! Maybe with a KLS spin or Mitohapa spin!

KaleyJean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KaleyJean
just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas

This is amusing to me. My coworker in the cube next to me is on vacation in Hawaii and before she left she went to the party store and decked out her cube in various tropical themes. Even went so far as to turn festive napkins in wallpaper.

Silverpsycho

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silverpsycho

Woohoo, tikis! :D
I'm psyched to see all the entries. Good luck artists.

Trading: Guts & Reverse Tarzan (both are size WL)

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

I had a luau once in my backyard. there were birds and a tree, so I'm going to draw birds and a tree.

Hey, it worked for the koi that fogged this week!

JadenKale

AdderXYU wrote:I had a luau once in my backyard. there were birds and a tree, so I'm going to draw birds and a tree.

ROFLMAO

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Ooh...I hope I get to see some hula kitties!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

ChrisRisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse
AdderXYU wrote:I had a luau once in my backyard. there were birds and a tree, so I'm going to draw birds and a tree.

EPIC

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar

You know I <3 you Adder, right?

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

daaave33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daaave33

so...many...ideas. .. ... ....!

~ daaave33 ~

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29

Go for it!!

yeeter

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yeeter

Allow me to congratulate you on winning next week's derby.

I am going to continue my string of bad ideas with a drawing of taro roots.

VOTE!

JadenKale

Kwatson29 wrote:Go for it!!

he was joking. I don't think he'd stoop to that level. Besides, that's a horrible pander.

momtamc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momtamc

GMV. In for 3.

bargainbin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbin

*giggles*, I was joking with someone about working koi, trees, and a bird into an entry this week no matter what the theme was - but you made it easy!

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

i have this frog in a glass I did a long time ago that I want to use so I'm going to have a guy painting a hula girl with it.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

WINNER!

Please check it out

iris420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420

Anyone feel like depicting the Pacific Trash Vortex?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Trash_Vortex

Carpe shirtem!

BlueKaila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlueKaila
bargainbin wrote:*giggles*, I was joking with someone about working koi, trees, and a bird into an entry this week no matter what the theme was - but you made it easy!

will it have lots of gradients in it? Because I think this week it would only hurt a design to have so many.

We crush the caterpillars then complain there are no butterflies

SkekTek

Here's my sketch for an idea. The name of the design is: Let's all go to the Luau. A parody of the candy commercials in the classic movie theaters. Comments?

SkekTek

JadenKale wrote:he was joking. I don't think he'd stoop to that level. Besides, that's a horrible pander.

I love panders. Especially baby panders.

bargainbin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbin
BlueKaila wrote:will it have lots of gradients in it? Because I think this week it would only hurt a design to have so many.

How so?

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
SkekTek wrote:Here's my sketch for an idea. The name of the design is: Let's all go to the Luau. A parody of the candy commercials in the classic movie theaters. Comments?

Pretty cute!

hmmxkrazee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee

hmmm... this is gonna be pretty hard.. i hope to see some clever ideas.