+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

brydesign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brydesign

Good luck everyone - I skipped this week and I can't wait to be a spectator. So many awesome illustrations in the forums already, hurray its Luau time, everybody limbo!

uhhuhhuhhuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh

This is my take on a sunset over the Pacific. I used to have a whole bunch of OP (Ocean Pacific) shirts when I was growing up in the 80's. I really wanted to emulate those clean designs and really hip, vibrant colors. It's a lot different than what I've been submitting recently, but I'm very pleased with the final product. It makes me want to go to surf.

As far as the placement is concerned, as close to the collar and the right-arm seam as possible please.

kiliaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiliaa
Re: Beautiful Disaster

*giggles*! I love it!

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Wrath of the Monkey God

Dewd! I was at this Luau party last night and we're watching the fire dancers, then out comes this monkey just going nuts! And he stared at me dood! He was really mad about something and like just stared at ME for like forever! Then I woke up when my face hit the the punch bowl... man, I'm never doing Brain Erasers again.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: Welcome to Our Fire

This wasn’t exactly the party that Bob expected when he followed the natives into the jungle.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Aloha

Looks interesting but this is a no text week. You might want to pull it before it gets rejected.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: Luau Fire

Enjoy the breeze
And the dancing fire

Just another new style for me to play with

klsntoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klsntoe
Re: Luau Girl

a collaborative effort between toe2254 and klswoot. enjoy and please vote!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Sometimes I explode, and I don't know why.

But... OH GOD, I don't want to hurt the little fishies!

brydesign

Re: Let's All Go To The Luau!!!

Congrats - it was awesome to see this start from a sketch and end up here! Nice Work.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: A Tropic Sunset

A fairly common thing hopefully done in a unique way.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Let's All Go To The Luau!!!

Inspired by the classic candy ad seen in movie theaters... replaced with a tropical locale and dancing fruit. The lead pineapple is holding a drink umbrella...

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: He's Watching

I really like this Blu. Is there any way we can get a better look at what's going to be printed?

Wonderbunny

sokowa wrote:Enjoy the breeze
And the dancing fire

dancing fire? That fire looks like it is ready to engulf the whole island. Love it!

brydesign

Re: Coconut Bank

Awesome, I had one of these when I was young and I could never figure out how to get the money back out. Great job using the crits from the forum to get this to be it's best. Good luck, GMV.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Tiki Beast from 50 Fathoms

This is inspired by the art of one of my personal heroes, concept artist and illustrator Kevin Dart.

leecetheartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist

I feel sorry for the tikibeast. That lady doesn't look at all phased, and, well...you just know three scenes from now the poor squid is going to be in knots at the very least.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

brydesign

Re: Coconut Bank

Shoot I just noticed your detail doesn't match your comp - re-post fast! Before you get votes.

leecetheartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist

gmv, btw! :-)

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Andy47240 wrote:I really like this Blu. Is there any way we can get a better look at what's going to be printed?

Thanks and sure!

3 colors on black, full 16"x20":

brydesign

You always bring the awesome tg. Good luck tonight with your escher!

Wonderbunny

The lady doesn't look phased at all but the squid has a great expression. Shouldn't the lady have some sort of look? I love it but because she doesn't look phased it makes me wonder.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Love the reflections on the water! gmv!

oogyboogawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oogyboogawa

I was at a loss as to what to do when I saw the theme this week. I decided to go with this relatively simple approach.

So here is the product of a long week and little sleep. Angry Tiki! (You'd be angry too, if your head was on fire!

Re: Angry Tiki

tgentry

Staff

Wonderbunny wrote:The lady doesn't look phased at all but the squid has a great expression. Shouldn't the lady have some sort of look? I love it but because she doesn't look phased it makes me wonder.

She has the look of someone that doesn't like being groped and happens to be holding a speargun.

tgentry

Staff

Love the style and especially the color choices. Nicely done.

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
Re: Monsters like luaus, too

detail

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254

great, as usual, sokowa

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Tiki Totem and Flowers

Tiki Totem and Flowers. Thanks for your vote!

Be sure to check out the collaborative design from Toe2254 and me. We're going to try to have one more ready by tonight.

Here's the first one:

It was fun to work with another derby artist this week!

GravityJMB

quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB

I love the 'toon-shaded' style... reminds me of Zelda: Wind Waker.

jmic789

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmic789
Re: (Title eaten by giant fruit.)

Edgar's humor again!

CHILLI20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHILLI20
Re: Coconut Bank 2

Reposted because I realized the details didn't match my comp...llo

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Re: Tiki Totem and Flowers

this turned out great kristen! effective use of color.

Beefcoat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Beefcoat
Re: Polly Want A Cracker?

Tried a different style this week. Enjoy!

Wonderbunny

Re: He's Watching

Is there an example from past printing on how something this dark with very little contrast does on a shirt? I worried that if this prints it will look like a black shirt unless you are two feet from it.

brydesign

Re: Coconut Bank 2

Awesome, I had one of these when I was young and I could never figure out how to get the money back out. Great job using the crits from the forum to get this to be it's best. Good luck, GMV.

mollib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollib

I reserved my comment for this thread instead of the derby thread.

I am SO excited about this design. Not only does it have KLS involvement, but it is pink and orange (my favorite colors) - oh, with red a close third - AND there are hibiscus in it.

I can only hope that everyone else loves it as much as I do!!

anneandkita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anneandkita

This is totally minor, but it makes me uncomfortable anyway. The reflections in the water would both travel the length of the water reflection and they tend to taper off at the end, not just stop abruptly. The length of the line is based on the brightness of the source, so the moon reflection would be longer than the fire reflection if anything.

I absolutely love the design, but that inaccuracy would probably keep me from buying it. (I know, I know, that's so sad! I can't help it. )

This kind of shows what I'm talking about with the brightness vs. length of reflection. More examples could be found by googling I'm sure.

brydesign

Re: (Title eaten by giant fruit.)

Love it, the sun is terrific, so smiley up there in the corner. GMV.