bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
WonderWooter wrote:growing up in FL, we had a back area of land called "Freaky Land" where a lot of these Hbiscus grew. I remember picking them, pulling the stamens out slowly, then drinking the sweet nectar. It was a cool trick

In retrospect that sounds kinda dirty, but I was five years old, and from a family with about 45 cousins, believe me it was one of the least dirty tricks they ever showed me.

awww, those where the days. Hibicus stamen anyone?

We did the same thing with Honeysuckle - nice signature.

mikeisme77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeisme77
Re: Luau Fire Breather

Pretty cool, but it kind of looks like it might have more than 6 colors. Not sure how well it would print/if they can print it. Gets my vote though.

bvillarreal

p1k4 wrote:=) i'm so happy with the color scheme because it WOULD fit a guy =) the dark background makes it guy wear-able, and blue is a very wearable color. i'm so happy it isn't pink, or yellow, or something that hurts the eyes with brightness.

Thanks, p1k4!

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Luau Angel

This is freaking amazing toe. I love everything about it.

bvillarreal

drockabaka wrote:Hmm. I read some of the other entries and all I see are people giving their opinions, and not in a hurtful way.

IMHO, this really looks like you could get it for $2 on the big island. Nice drawing though.

Love to get some of those, if you want to forward me a link! Thanks for the compliment on the drawing.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: when pele blows

wow, i love your design, but I think you are outside the printable area. Hurry resubmit!

bvillarreal

MichellePede wrote:I voted "I'd wear it" because, honestly? I'D WEAR IT.

Thanks, MichellePede!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

Beautiful! I like the tattoo look, and I like the subtle colors. GMV!

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Luau Angel

Wow, you have done some really great stuff this derby. Kudos to you! gmv!

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
earthart wrote:kls, toe, great collaboration. GMV. Of your entries this week, this is my favorite (I like them all though and will vote). Best of luck. On a side note, I resubmitted my design and pulled the first entry...and then I read your comment in the thread. That's twice today! I've got a lot to learn about this woot business.

Ahhhh... earthart. I always seem to be just a tad too late when I reply to you. (Lost internet access for a short time due to Hurricane Hanna most likely.) Yes. I thought you were planning to keep both designs up for vote for a few hours to see which one garnered more votes. Some folks do that since you have 24 hours to pull one. But, you'll know this for next time, right?

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
chemicalflava wrote:I get the feeling this is exactly how Lost is going to end.

:D :D :D

bvillarreal

SydneyB wrote:Wow. That was a lot to read.

Ok, first off, I want you to know that I voted for it BEFORE I read *ANY* of the comments. Then I started reading. And getting unhappy. I started feeling that maybe there was something wrong with *ME* because I liked this design. I am so very glad that you posted your sketches, and "proved" that these are hand-done drawings, and not a stencil or cut-out (I was unfairly accused of that, one derby well past).

In any case, who CARES if there are other similar shirts? Am I only allowed to own ONE flower shirt? ONE Koi shirt, etc? What if it's in the wash? People are voting for this because it is a beautiful shirt, nice colors, nice placement... just very nice.

As for the people who say you can get these for $5 on "the big island"? Good for them. I live in New York City. The subway doesn't go there.

Now, having said that I think this is a beautiful, and WEARABLE design, I will take this opportunity to say something that I have been holding my tongue on for some time now. There is one particular artist who often submits his works here. I do not care to mention names, which is why I never commented on any of his designs directly. I believe that his designs are VERY original, and extremely detailed, but the way he portrays them is, well, childish. I never understood why he zooms up into the fog every single time. His designs are interesting, as in I spend time looking at them (with interest), but I would never ever buy one. I have very similar quality drawings all over my fridge, drawn for me by my children, my nieces, nephews... well, you get the idea.
Now THIS design of yours I certainly would buy and wear. True the IDEA might not be "original" but it is very very well done. I hope it does well, and I would buy it were it to win. Please keep submitting designs!
-Syd

P.S. Boni - DON'T LEAVE!!

Thank you for your support, SydneyB. I'm not familiar enough with everyone to know who you're referring to, but thank you for the encouragement.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
SydneyB wrote:Beautiful!! I want one!

I posted this before I saw what a bunch of other people said, and after having read that, I can see their point. It did not strike me at first, though. Her expression is WONDERFUL! and the design is beautiful. Maybe they are right, maybe you should try it with a little color, to make her look a little less flesh toned. I'm just not sure.

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
rachel1aaron wrote:Pretty! I like! GMV! (on both but this is my favorite)

Thank you very much for the vote, and especially for your great feedback today. It was a great help. Hope the weather clears for you soon. It is pouring here right now. Have a good night and take care.

earthart

theinfinityloop wrote:Beautiful! I like the tattoo look, and I like the subtle colors. GMV!

Thanks infinity. I really love your design this week and voted for it. By far the funniest entry in the derby. I hope it remains in the fog as it definitely deserves to. Best of luck staying on top.

bvillarreal

TAYLORT5 wrote:ifany one else,any one !!! Says anything mean about the OP design, I' m leaving this site for good.good I've had. It with you people . =) btw David gilmour have a great shirt at his site .his black fender strapped across your torso.totally cool.

Good thing you included the sardonic punctuation or I may have mistaken this for an expression of support.

bvillarreal

sailormoontsu wrote:I think you did a really great job on the flower. It is gorgeous and very well done. I'm not crazy about the design, but that's just me. It is way too hard to try and please the entire Woot community. It's great that a new person is getting a fogged design though. Congrats on fogging. I dream of my first fog one day. ;)

Thanks Sailormoontsu. Good luck!

SydneyB

Re: The Pig Fights Back

Great design! So many details - I love the fruit and the lettuce :D
And boy is that one ANGRY pig!! :D

SydneyB

Re: Sunset Lily

I want to learn how to do those halftones that make designs like this so beautiful!

bvillarreal

earthart wrote:bvillarreal, love this design. My favorite of those I have looked at so far. GMV and well wishes.

Thanks, earthart - I saw your lovebirds and love the tattoo look.

SydneyB

Re: pig roast

Unfortunately, when I see this, all I feel is sad for the piggy.

bvillarreal

xSabishiix wrote:I was just thinking that. Very standard hawaiian print. I've had at least 20 of shirts like this in my life time. And also...I don't quite see how this fits a theme of a luau...

I'd love to see a picture of one of those shirts like this.

tamarocker64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamarocker64
Re: He's Watching

Is this an Olmec head?

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
sailormoontsu wrote:I think you did a really great job on the flower. It is gorgeous and very well done. I'm not crazy about the design, but that's just me. It is way too hard to try and please the entire Woot community. It's great that a new person is getting a fogged design though. Congrats on fogging. I dream of my first fog one day. ;)

Don't despair Sailormoontsu. You do GREAT work. I'm sure one of your designs will get to the top one of these days. You never know what will click with the voters each week. You just have to keep trying.

SydneyB

SydneyB

Re: home sweet home

Heh heh heh, this is funny

SteelFroggy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteelFroggy

I'd wear this if my parents wouldn't shoot me for being pleasantly upbeat. *votes*

llo pleasently upbeat, nice woot. :3
P.s. I don't mean that offensive.

maryellen1948

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryellen1948
byrbwr wrote:pretty design style, keep submitting stuff!

thankyou

lpphreakx06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lpphreakx06
Re: Oh! The Cocanity!

i love the scare food theme

earthart

bvillarreal wrote:Thanks, earthart - I saw your lovebirds and love the tattoo look.

Thanks bvillarreal. I resubmitted my design tonight after making some changes. By the way, I've now gone through all of this week's entries. Yours is still my favorite. Hope it wins so I can get one.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Bob forgot he was wearing 'Sharkbait Tiki' mask

ha! It is such an iconic surfing legend, thanks to that photo of the dolphin inside the wave.

bvillarreal

Re: Underwater Feast

Nice outfit on the hammerhead! GMV

mlovesr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlovesr
Re: maiself-tai

Seriously, this shirt just cracks me up! I wish I could give it more than my one vote...

caspianta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
haxrox wrote:It's a shame that some commenters think that constructive criticism means a blunt evaluation. Bashing a design does not emotionally equip all artists to improve, even if you feel you're pointing out a truth. The "constructive" part is about approach, like using tact and kindness, not intent.

you're so right! next time, let's all just tattle on designs we don't like and say nothing to those who get fogged so that at the 11th hour (when they have no time to try for a resubmission) their "winning" entry gets brutally yanked from the rafters by TPTB. it'll hit them blind! what glee! we'll all relish in their being dejected and congratulate ourselves on saying nothing at all to have alerted the artist that they were being reported to the authorities.

*dries off from the dripping sarcasm*

this ain't preschool. people are going to be blunt. it's teh intranets and you're working with designers (i think we can all honestly confess to being snobbish when it comes to things we think are "bad design" or don't play by the same rules as we did) who are all in competition with each other. did you really think people were going to tip-toe around and NOT attack each others' designs?

caspianta

Re: Fire Dancer

i would like it better if the figure were to blend into the shirt more (which, who can tell with on screen appearances?) and possibly have a couple of layers of highlight to it in reaction to the fire. the very flat shape of the person distracts me a lot from the fire.

caspianta

Re: (Title eaten by giant fruit.)

would love to see the interior of the pineapple's mouth as we do on the coconut and some black lines added into the other colors (the green of the leaves and the brown of the huts) to give it more unity.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
hundr wrote:I *really* like the idea of this shirt, but the fact that it's a primate with Maori style tattoos is a bit disconcerting. I probably wouldn't be able to buy it because of the imitation style of Maori tattoos and having them be on a monkey. (For those who don't know, the Maori are very, very territorial over their tattoos and view it as offensive for others to copy them.)

Sorry, certainly didn't mean to offend anybody, I did change the style, simplified it a bit and used the blue color to give it that blacklight effect, so it looks more like paint than a tattoo. I thought that would be enough, but apparently not. It's more along the lines of immitation being the best form or flattery... monkey see monkey do ;)

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Ku

Glad I clicked on this one. Love the subtle detail work, it creates a great texture. I'd wear this in a heartbeat.

caspianta

Re: Midnight Luau

what a gorgeous entry! feminine enough design that i think any girl would love it but still masculine enough for guys on the brown shirt!