caspianta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
Re: Dancing in the dark

cool design, but i'm not diggin the coloring. might be better in a really nice monochromatic arrangement maybe?

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: In the distance

Can you explain to me how it ties into the theme? I'm not seeing luau.

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

Maybe I don't get out enough, but I do think this is original and I really like it. I hadn't read the thread before leaving my comments, but having read it, I respectfully disagree with a lot of the commentary. Surely, flower shirts are common, but I don't think this particular style of rendering hibiscus is commonly done (again, I don't get out much, so maybe it has been done a lot). I do know I like it and plenty of other folks do as well, and I guess that's the bottom line. I do hope you continue on the idea as I think it would be quite interesting to have the flowers leak into one another, but I think you captured the liquid feel very nicely. I'm glad to see you rise above the fray. I too welcome critiques, good and bad, as I like to gather as many perspectives as I can. Great way to learn. And like someone else said, there are certain ways to go about providing feedback that isn't all teeth and nails. Either way, thick skin is a good thing in the art and woot world. Best of luck staying on top.

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

interesting contrast between using something representing strength, honor and defiance to display love and peace.
i hope thats not too deep for wooters to grasp ;)

earthart

peppersagooddog wrote:interesting contrast between using something representing strength and honor to display love and peace.
i hope thats not too deep for wooters to grasp ;)

Thank you pepper. Love your comment. By the way, every single time I see your signature I laugh. It is sad to admit, but I have actually sat and watched it for too long a period of time with a smile on my face and a vacant look in my eyes. My 2-year-old son loves it too. Thanks again.

caspianta

Re: Tiki Gods Bless This Limbo Pole

i keep counting...is it 5 colors? i would suggest breaking that black up somehow...maybe add a dark dark grey and use black sparingly for hair, etc. right now i feel it overpowers the central area of the design.

caspianta

Re: E KO ME HAWAI'I ALOHA

this is beautiful!

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Re: Luau Fire

Very cool design - and beautifully done. I want one.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Neon Tiki Treat

Now, brighter and more neon... yes... 6 colors...

Thanks guys and gals... tiki on!

close up below:

caspianta

AnnaJo wrote:Why the hell is this not further up?! This is an amazing design, I love your illustration style! gmv!

ditto to that sentiment!

peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
earthart wrote:Thank you pepper. Love your comment. By the way, every single time I see your signature I laugh. It is sad to admit, but I have actually sat and watched it for too long a period of time with a smile on my face and a vacant look in my eyes. My 2-year-old son loves it too. Thanks again.

you have no idea how many people the catsnake mesmorizes
it's my hypnotic ploy to get people to click his link ;)
dont worry i still get stuck staring at him too

bvillarreal

caspianta wrote:you're so right! next time, let's all just tattle on designs we don't like and say nothing to those who get fogged so that at the 11th hour (when they have no time to try for a resubmission) their "winning" entry gets brutally yanked from the rafters by TPTB. it'll hit them blind! what glee! we'll all relish in their being dejected and congratulate ourselves on saying nothing at all to have alerted the artist that they were being reported to the authorities.

*dries off from the dripping sarcasm*

this ain't preschool. people are going to be blunt. it's teh intranets and you're working with designers (i think we can all honestly confess to being snobbish when it comes to things we think are "bad design" or don't play by the same rules as we did) who are all in competition with each other. did you really think people were going to tip-toe around and NOT attack each others' designs?

I really really don't mind the critiques, however - I most definitely appreciate all of the support from those who have offered it. Thanks for your perspective.

caspianta

Re: Eruption!

what a unique take on the volcano! i love it!

bvillarreal

earthart wrote:Maybe I don't get out enough, but I do think this is original and I really like it. I hadn't read the thread before leaving my comments, but having read it, I respectfully disagree with a lot of the commentary. Surely, flower shirts are common, but I don't think this particular style of rendering hibiscus is commonly done (again, I don't get out much, so maybe it has been done a lot). I do know I like it and plenty of other folks do as well, and I guess that's the bottom line. I do hope you continue on the idea as I think it would be quite interesting to have the flowers leak into one another, but I think you captured the liquid feel very nicely. I'm glad to see you rise above the fray. I too welcome critiques, good and bad, as I like to gather as many perspectives as I can. Great way to learn. And like someone else said, there are certain ways to go about providing feedback that isn't all teeth and nails. Either way, thick skin is a good thing in the art and woot world. Best of luck staying on top.

Thank you earthart, I hope your love birds fly right past me.

caspianta

Re: Good Vibrations

i think three things would make this stronger:

rotate the overall design about 15 degrees clockwise (to eliminate the static, flat bottom)
round out the top part of the wave (it's a bit too flat)
remove the sun or bring it closer to the design (it feels too isolated)

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Stranded

This is a different take on the theme. I'd like to see more colors though. You have six + the shirt color to work with. More color in the water and maybe a darker contrast with the island could really make it pop more.

bvillarreal

Re: Good Vibrations

I love it! GMV

caspianta

Re: Luau Drinks - Your Mileage May Vary

i too don't really "get it", but i love the illustration! that little robot is so adorable!

earthart

peppersagooddog wrote:you have no idea how many people the catsnake mesmorizes it's my hypnotic ploy to get people to click his link ;) dont worry i still get stuck staring at him too

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. It works by the way. I have clicked the link. All very cool stuff, but my favorite is Dead of Night. Awesome piece. Thanks again.

caspianta

Re: SWINE TIKI

there's something endearing about this Swine Tiki...

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Dancing in the dark

caspianta wrote:cool design, but i'm not diggin the coloring. might be better in a really nice monochromatic arrangement maybe?

Thanks for the comment Caspianta. You've given Toe and me something to think about should we decide to submit this design elsewhere.

Here' s my take on the current colors, but Toe may comment too on the color selection. My guess as to why Toe chose the colors he did is because we were inspired by Matisse's Dance painting, we wanted to keep elements of the bright colors of Matisse in the final composition of our fire dancers design. I would think that a monochromatic arrangement might dull the energy of the design.

But, again...you've given us a good suggestion that we can keep in mind 60 days from now.

caspianta

Re: Luau Angel

i think i just creamed my pants. holy god this is incredible!!! very well done indeed.

bvillarreal

JonSnow wrote:I don't understand how the lines are so smooth without using antiailiasing. It doesn't look like it's turned off though, because it's not jagged on the edges...

What gives?

Hey, JonSnow - not sure you're actually addressing this to me here, but I sent you a pm with further explanation in case!

caspianta

Re: home sweet home

love all the "human" details like the clothesline, the window shades, and the dish. how cute!

dopey5007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dopey5007

No text this week, so the sig will get it rejected

~D

caspianta

Re: Love @ the Luau

so, all you've shown us is that you can trace some salt shakers?

caspianta

Re: Surfer

would love to see cutouts to the blue shirt somewhere in that massive design...otherwise i kind of dig it.

bvillarreal

Re: Pineapple Of My Eye

Nice design - I really like the purple leaves! GMV

theycallmechad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theycallmechad
Re: Stranded

Wonderbunny wrote:This is a different take on the theme. I'd like to see more colors though. You have six + the shirt color to work with. More color in the water and maybe a darker contrast with the island could really make it pop more.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I used 4 colors (minus the shirt color), but could have done a bit more for sure. I would have done it a bit differently if I could go back and do it again. They don't allow re-does or edits, do they?

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
tgentry wrote:Hope I didn't jinx this one GF. Still my favorite so far.

Reading your comments really made my day! I'm definitely a fan of your work, so it meant a lot. Thanks bro

turdfurguss0n

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turdfurguss0n

c'mon guys. is this the MOST the original design or what. VIVA LA SNOWMAN!!!

theycallmechad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theycallmechad

This one will be rejected not only for the text, but for the different shades of colors used. You are allowed only 6 colors tops.

caspianta

Re: The Final Luau

love the illustration, don't get me wrong...but there's just something about it that subtly screams NOT pg-13 to me...

chemicalflava

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemicalflava

That's a zazzle model too.

CuterThanYou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CuterThanYou
Re: Beautiful Disaster

I love the colors you used, and the scene makes me grin. GMV and good luck!

chemicalflava

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemicalflava
Re: Pineapple Of My Eye

I like the colors and simplicity, but I feel like the whole "cat-eye" (or any eye) thing is irrelevant. That would prevent me from buying this t if I had money.

schecter07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schecter07
Re: Fire Dancer

this shirt is simply awesome

slomer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slomer
OpenDesign wrote:This design is inspired by Hawaiian tribal tattoos, and is a dark olive print on a grass-colored shirt. All hand drawn in Inkscape. Enjoy!

I have been using inkscape a lot myself. It is a pain to get things out of it and into photoshop but I like the program itself.

bvillarreal

uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:Thank you! Here's hoping it gets a boost.

Pareidolia - learn something new every day - thanks -I see a really cool retro sunset - takes me back to Nag's Head, NC and the beautiful Carolinian.

MostBestestBuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MostBestestBuddy