bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Re: Welcome to Our Fire

Ooo! I like this one too!

Briany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Briany
Re: Volcano Take 2

I think it's hilarious, but the placement irks me. Perhaps if it was moved up a bit . . . ?

zach99998

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zach99998

The flippant comments are unwarranted and I loved how you addressed them. This is a great shirt despite what the 8 or so dissenters have said. The votes speak louder than these few morons.

robynraban

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robynraban
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

My brother has a very very similar shirt from Hilo Hattie from about 4 years ago. I was in red though with white flowers, and the flowers were curved a little differently, but it is basically the same. I wonder if the designer has the same shirt. Pretty original. Glad people are voting for something they could have bought in a different color four years ago.

bvillarreal

Re: In the distance

Here's a link to the rules somebody sent me after my first few rule-breaking entries! Good luck!
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

kitekidette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitekidette
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=21777]Shakin' The

This one caught my eye and I kept going back to it..Its really cool!

Briany

Re: Slushed

Genius! A million times genius! If it doesn't win, a little bit of me will die.

bvillarreal

robynraban wrote:My brother has a very very similar shirt from Hilo Hattie from about 4 years ago. I was in red though with white flowers, and the flowers were curved a little differently, but it is basically the same. I wonder if the designer has the same shirt. Pretty original. Glad people are voting for something they could have bought in a different color four years ago.

Be great to see a picture of that shirt. No, I don't have such a shirt.

Briany

Re: Virgin Sacrifice

Nothing ruins a good luau like an angry volcano god. Trust me, molten rock and dry, grass skirts definitely do not mix. But why sacrifice a beautiful maiden when that pimply math major from down the street will work just as well? Why should the stupid volcano get all the pretty girls?

thericochet

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thericochet
Arnion wrote:I actually didn't see any sort of face until people mentioned it. ._.

Very cool.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
tamarocker64 wrote:Is this an Olmec head?

Well, I honestly didn't remember what it was called, but looks like you actually did.

This is based on a little idol I bought in Mexico near Tulum. I realize that has nothing to do with the Pacific Islands or Luaus really, but I felt like it was close enough. Since when do designs really have to be on theme, right?

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
JonSnow wrote:I don't understand how the lines are so smooth without using antiailiasing. It doesn't look like it's turned off though, because it's not jagged on the edges...

What gives?

Keep in mind that these designs are created on a gigantic canvas at 300 dpi. When they are shrunk down to fit the shirt comp, anti-aliasing happens. It's fine.

On the subject of copying and pasting - it should be noted that the flowers aren't EXACT duplicates of one another. The outline is the same, yes, but the highlighting is actually different in each one.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bvillarreal

eHalcyon wrote:Keep in mind that these designs are created on a gigantic canvas at 300 dpi. When they are shrunk down to fit the shirt comp, anti-aliasing happens. It's fine.

On the subject of copying and pasting - it should be noted that the flowers aren't EXACT duplicates of one another. The outline is the same, yes, but the highlighting is actually different in each one.

Thanks, eHalcyon - I appreciate the clarification.

bookmonkey786

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookmonkey786
Re: Caution

Its a volcano erupting. Kinda blurry and hard to see right away though. Not worth $10

chemicalflava

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chemicalflava
Re: Caution

I thought it was a sign warning of a stick figure giving birth to quintuplets. Go fig.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Neon Tiki Treat

the neon clearly makes joel happy!

those eyes are mesmerizing. they are saying "vote for me, vote for me!"

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Chronotrigga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chronotrigga

It's a good shirt.. however, not something I would want to buy on woot. I can buy very similar shirts at retail stores for less than 10. When I go to woot, I want "original" designs. Not saying this isn't original, but it's been done countless times before, and it's kind of self-explanatory when someone says the term "Hawaiian Shirt", immediately you think of flowers.

Cheapassgamer / Digitalpoint / Webhostingtalk

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
bvillarreal wrote:We must be on the same coast! Good morning! Thank you, Rachel1aaron!

Ha! And we both are night owls, too! As for the coast, the waves we see are grain - home is south-central Kansas. Glad to see you still in the fog, and that the mood has lifted a little in your thread! Good morning to you too! :o)

boni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boni

Just a couple of things to clear up…
I was not in any way, shape or form making excuses for her, I was and still am simply impressed that she managed to create a design that so many people love while working with her limited resources.
BV is my sister and one of my best friends… I never got around to making that clear after taking responsibility for her presence here. She is of the opinion that my big sister defense system kicked in when I read her thread. I disagree; I would have been just as upset by those comments by those people if I had seen them anywhere. Apparently, I just haven’t been reading in all the right places.
I really appreciate all the kind words, as I’m sure bv does. I was also glad to see that a few of the people who started out mean came back to be a little kinder with their criticism. It does work so much better than snarkiness!
As far as my stats are concerned, no I am no longer going to host them on my site. A site that already deals with woot.shirt information will be posting similar pages soon.
This page contains a small sample of bv’s work from over the last cough, cough years, going all the way back to high school. She’s going to kill me for this and probably considers a few of them subpar at this stage, but this is why I encouraged her to try her hand. Give her a chance to get used to this medium and you’ll get a chance to offer constructive criticisms on her fogged entries often.
At the risk of sounding like the house mother, please remember that there is a person behind every design, be they newbie or otherwise, and they don’t deserve to be treated as anything less. Besides, they might have a big sister all ready to come to their defense!
Good night… it’s been real.

One last note, just cause I think it's painfully funny - her first idea had a bird of paradise as the primary focus, but she didn't do it because of all the bird/tree/turtle pandering comments. Ironic, isnt it?

bvillarreal

Chronotrigga wrote:It's a good shirt.. however, not something I would want to buy on woot. I can buy very similar shirts at retail stores for less than 10. When I go to woot, I want "original" designs. Not saying this isn't original, but it's been done countless times before, and it's kind of self-explanatory when someone says the term "Hawaiian Shirt", immediately you think of flowers.

Thanks for the - It's a good shirt- sentiment. Please send me a link to get similar shirts for less than 10. I could use some!

bvillarreal

rachel1aaron wrote:Ha! And we both are night owls, too! As for the coast, the waves we see are grain - home is south-central Kansas. Glad to see you still in the fog, and that the mood has lifted a little in your thread! Good morning to you too! :o)

Wow! Kansas, huh? We are in California for now. My husband's a Marine and we will soon be moving to Alabama then shortly thereafter to Virginia. I'm impressed that you can stay up this late - I'm going to miss the Pacific time zone : (

alftuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alftuba
AdderXYU wrote:Shh. We're not allowed to comment negatively on this one.

I'm sorry, but that's pretty funny.

BV, you gave such wonderfully positive replies to every comment, no matter how mean or negative, about your design. Except my mean and negative comment, and now I feel left out and sad

Seriously though, I didn't mean to sound so mean. Your design is very pretty and even though I won't buy it, I'm happy for you that you're doing well. (at very least, it saves me money.) The reason I commented about it being "generic" is this:

I'm a consumer, not a designer (I never have and never will enter this contest - there's no way I could ever have the talent to do what you do.) And this consumer, personally, does not like wearing a shirt that might look like somebody else's. I currently have so many woot shirts, that I'm a little afraid of meeting somebody with the same shirt on as me whenever I go out. In fact, I've started buying only the shirts that I know will be reckoned immediately, because the fewer people own them, the less likely that situation will come up.

Because, even though as the designer you SHOULD get all the credit - in all reality, when I walk down the street, I'M the one who gets the credit for the shirt I wear. And I'M the one who gets judged. And NO ONE wants to be judged as unoriginal.

Which is exactly what I said about your design. So I apologize, most sincerely. But I stand by it.

Sorry.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
caspianta wrote:i would like it better if the figure were to blend into the shirt more (which, who can tell with on screen appearances?) and possibly have a couple of layers of highlight to it in reaction to the fire. the very flat shape of the person distracts me a lot from the fire.

I can totally understand your point. My original design had some highlights to the figure, but I decided that it got way too muddled with the flames so I took them out. I felt the shape of the flames was most important. Thanks for your comments though, its always nice to have a great critique!

maryellen1948

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryellen1948
chemicalflava wrote:That's a zazzle model too.

llo yeah it is, first entry hehe srry

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Somewhere earlier in the posts, someone said that an odd number of objects is mor pleasing to the eye. What I have read is that numbers in the Fibonacci series, like 2,3,5,or 8, are more pleasing to the eye, because these are the number that occur naturally in plants, etc. It doesn't seem that the voters have a problem with an even non-Fibonacci number though, does it?

Also in the posts, there has been quite a few people who stated that you can get this elsewhere, or anywhere. Well, if you can get it online, they need to post a link. I take comments like that very seriously and spent a LOT of time looking and found:
1-button down Hawaiian shirts with several wide stripes of hibiscus
2 - tshirts with a single hibiscus
3- tshirts with a horizontal stripe of hibiscus.

I can find no shirts, tshirts or otherwise, with a single offcenter vertical stripe of hibiscuses, or hibiscii, if you prefer. I looked on the OP website just to be sure and nothing there either. Now unless woot thinks one of the 3 types above is similar to this shirt, I don'think this will be rejected.

If it is available in Hawaii today, but not online, that means I have to spend airfare to buy the shirt. I don't want to spend over $700 for a tshirt and I am sure most woot shoppers will agree with me. If someone has a shirt similar to this, they need to post a picture. Otherwise, desist.

bvillarreal

alftuba wrote:I'm sorry, but that's pretty funny.

BV, you gave such wonderfully positive replies to every comment, no matter how mean or negative, about your design. Except my mean and negative comment, and now I feel left out and sad

Seriously though, I didn't mean to sound so mean. Your design is very pretty and even though I won't buy it, I'm happy that you're doing well. (at very least, it saves me money.) The reason I commented about it being "generic" is this: I'm a consumer, not a designer (I never have and never will enter this contest - there's no way I could ever have the talent to do what you do.) And this consumer, personally, does not like wearing a shirt that might look like somebody else's. I currently have so many woot shirts, that I'm a little afraid of meeting somebody with the same shirt on as me whenever I go. In fact, I've started buying only the shirts that I know will be reckoned immediately, because the fewer people own them, the less likely that situation will come up.

Because, even though, as the designer, you SHOULD get all the credit - in all reality, when I walk down the street, I"M the one who gets the credit for the shirt I wear. And I'm the one who gets judged. And NO ONE wants to be judged as unoriginal.

Which is exactly what I said about your design. So I apologize, most sincerely. But I stand by it.

Sorry.

Aaah! I'm so sorry, Alftuba. I didn't mean to overlook your comment. There were just so many and it's the weekend and the more alcohol I have the worse my visual acuity becomes. Thanks for the compliment on my talent. I like your name.

maryellen1948

bvillarreal wrote:Here's a link to the rules somebody sent me after my first few rule-breaking entries! Good luck!
http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1946963

thankyou for the link this helps ^-^

maryellen1948

yankeebird wrote:Can you explain to me how it ties into the theme? I'm not seeing luau.

yes not luau I just noticed the theme ( I am taking this off )

bvillarreal

mjc613 wrote:Somewhere earlier in the posts, someone said that an odd number of objects is mor pleasing to the eye. What I have read is that numbers in the Fibonacci series, like 2,3,5,or 8, are more pleasing to the eye, because these are the number that occur naturally in plants, etc. It doesn't seem that the voters have a problem with an even non-Fibonacci number though, does it?

Also in the posts, there has been quite a few people who stated that you can get this elsewhere, or anywhere. Well, if you can get it online, they need to post a link. I take comments like that very seriously and spent a LOT of time looking and found:

I can find no shirts, tshirts or otherwise, with a single offcenter vertical stripe of hibiscuses, or hibiscii, if you prefer. I looked on the OP website just to be sure and nothing there either. Now unless woot thinks one of the 3 types above is similar to this shirt, I don'think this will be rejected.

If it is available in Hawaii today, but not online, that means I have to spend airfare to buy the shirt. I don't want to spend over $700 for a tshirt and I am sure most woot shoppers will agree with me. If someone has a shirt similar to this, they need to post a picture. Otherwise, desist.

I love you, mjc613, and if this gets printed, send me your address. I'll buy you one!

maryellen1948

dopey5007 wrote:No text this week, so the sig will get it rejected

k thx

AnnaJo

yankeebird wrote:My apologies both for referring to you in the wrong gender, and miscounting the things in your explanation. It's a beautifully done shirt! Good luck to you!

*giggles*, I don't expect you to know my gender based on my previous posts, just thought I'd let everyone know Thanks for your comments, they are greatly appreciated!

AnnaJo

Re: Virgin Sacrifice

*giggles*, love the take on this one, gmv

AnnaJo

Re: Neon Tiki Treat

Those eyes are crazy! love it! gmv!

AnnaJo

Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

WOW. I LOVE the intricacy of this design. It really looks like a kick-ass tribal tattoo. Simply Amazing. Ya got my vote!

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
mia3mom wrote:the neon clearly makes joel happy!

those eyes are mesmerizing. they are saying "vote for me, vote for me!"

That's what I'm hoping, Mia! Thanks again!

And Joel MUST love it... he's so calm wearing it... definitely manly enough for him.

alftuba

mjc613 wrote:...spent a LOT of time looking and found:

I agree it's not similar enough to be rejected, nor should it be even if it were. This shirt has every right to be in contention.

But those you listed are exactly what I'm talking about being too similar for me, personally. If I were walking down the street wearing this shirt, and somebody came up the other direction wearing one of those, it would be very weird and awkward. Especially if a third person dressed completely differently were to witness this event.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
bvillarreal wrote:Thanks, eHalcyon - I appreciate the clarification.

Glad to give it.

Hey, if you have the time, it would still be cool to see that bird of paradise idea boni mentioned. The bird pandering comments are generally reserved for bird silhouettes.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

AnnaJo

Re: I Forgot the Flowers

This is really great. i love, love, love the tribal tattoo look, gmv!

bvillarreal

alftuba wrote:I agree it's not similar enough to be rejected, nor should it be even if it were. This shirt has every right to be in contention.

But those you listed are exactly what I'm talking about being too similar for me, personally. If I were walking down the street wearing this shirt, and somebody came up the other direction wearing one of those, it would be very weird and awkward. Especially if a third person dressed completely differently were to witness this event.

Alftuba, I think your name is original enough to dissuade any awkwardness due to shirt similarity.

alftuba

bvillarreal wrote: I like your name.

Thanks!