Chakra138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chakra138
Re: Osama bin Loungin'

He should be the one on the platter with an apple in his mouth.

AtopMtOlympus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AtopMtOlympus
Re: Tiki Beast from 50 Fathoms

Best entry in the derby without question. This is the only shirt this week that has my vote.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Which Way to the Luau?

Their expressions are priceless!

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
boni wrote:Just a couple of things to clear up…
I was not in any way, shape or form making excuses for her, I was and still am simply impressed that she managed to create a design that so many people love while working with her limited resources.
BV is my sister and one of my best friends… I never got around to making that clear after taking responsibility for her presence here. She is of the opinion that my big sister defense system kicked in when I read her thread. I disagree; I would have been just as upset by those comments by those people if I had seen them anywhere. Apparently, I just haven’t been reading in all the right places.
I really appreciate all the kind words, as I’m sure bv does. I was also glad to see that a few of the people who started out mean came back to be a little kinder with their criticism. It does work so much better than snarkiness!
As far as my stats are concerned, no I am no longer going to host them on my site. A site that already deals with woot.shirt information will be posting similar pages soon.
This page contains a small sample of bv’s work from over the last cough, cough years, going all the way back to high school. She’s going to kill me for this and probably considers a few of them subpar at this stage, but this is why I encouraged her to try her hand. Give her a chance to get used to this medium and you’ll get a chance to offer constructive criticisms on her fogged entries often.
At the risk of sounding like the house mother, please remember that there is a person behind every design, be they newbie or otherwise, and they don’t deserve to be treated as anything less. Besides, they might have a big sister all ready to come to their defense!
Good night… it’s been real.

One last note, just cause I think it's painfully funny - her first idea had a bird of paradise as the primary focus, but she didn't do it because of all the bird/tree/turtle pandering comments. Ironic, isnt it?

It was nice to see your comments here boni, there are several I can relate to very well. I am the big sister in our family and felt the same way when I started reading what people were saying. The nastiness just got under my skin. Years past maybe I wouldn't have stood up & commented but age & motherhood have changed that. I was also thinking that we need to remember that we are talking to real people here, and treat them the same as if we were face-to-face. I really like the way you phrased your statement!

I took a look at bv's work, and it is beautiful. I recognize the shoreline on the left from a previous derby! I liked that entry too. Had to show my son the pencil drawings, as I am always telling him that he needs to darken his shadows when he draws. This was a great example of how mom was Wrong!

Last comment! I too, would like to see the bird of paradise idea. I'm an animal person and love birds!

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
bvillarreal wrote:Wow! Kansas, huh? We are in California for now. My husband's a Marine and we will soon be moving to Alabama then shortly thereafter to Virginia. I'm impressed that you can stay up this late - I'm going to miss the Pacific time zone : (

My favorite place to vacation is in Carlsbad, CA. The first time we went there we had such a sense of peace when we visited the ocean. I can see how you will miss it terribly. The moving does not sound like fun, I don't like starting over, and the work involved in a move overwhelms me. As for the late nights, it's an urge I can't resist sometimes! I've had to really work on it lately, the brain just doesn't function well without it's rest. Many blessings to your husband for taking on the role of Marine, and to you & your family for supporting him. You have my support, also.

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55
Re: Underwater Feast

This NEEDS to be printed! GMV

Paradox55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55
Re: Slushed

I want this.....badly.

lan414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lan414

I love this shirt, you truly have a great eye for design. I can see where the PG-13 thing comes into play, but I would wear this shirt with pride. Thanks for the submission. GMV!

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
rachel1aaron wrote:
Last comment! I too, would like to see the bird of paradise idea. I'm an animal person and love birds!

Bird of Paradise is a flower. ;)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
dsgnGrl wrote:Bird of Paradise is a flower. ;)

She is probably referring to the actual bird after which the flower is named. ...the Bird of Paradise flower is called the Strelitzia, but more commonly known as the bird of paradise due to its resemblance to the bird.

The only reason I know this is because I was working on a design for this derby with a bird of paradise focus. (But, didn't think it really fit the luau theme.)

I always learn something new with each derby theme.

headie33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages headie33

Awesome Shirt! Love the money falling out, very 'Jamaica Mistaka' -esque.

daaave33 wrote:The Hemisphere Dancer lives! I hope the Cros Stills fans can enjoy this one as much as the parrotheads!
~Daaave33

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal

Thank you, Boni. Not going to kill you for the gallery, but will issue a disclaimer - I am not a pro! Thank you for talking me into wooting - because it has been a good catalyst for working on some of my shortcomings - deadlines, color, composition and criticism.

caspianta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
mjc613 wrote:I take comments like that very seriously and spent a LOT of time looking and found:
1-button down Hawaiian shirts with several wide stripes of hibiscus
2 - tshirts with a single hibiscus
3- tshirts with a horizontal stripe of hibiscus.

did you see this one?

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
caspianta wrote:did you see this one?

linked so it doesn't look like you just chopped those.

bvillarreal

rachel1aaron wrote:My favorite place to vacation is in Carlsbad, CA. The first time we went there we had such a sense of peace when we visited the ocean. I can see how you will miss it terribly. The moving does not sound like fun, I don't like starting over, and the work involved in a move overwhelms me. As for the late nights, it's an urge I can't resist sometimes! I've had to really work on it lately, the brain just doesn't function well without it's rest. Many blessings to your husband for taking on the role of Marine, and to you & your family for supporting him. You have my support, also.

Thank you, Rachel! Yes, we'll miss the gorgeous scenery and weather.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
skirochester wrote:Thanks for the complements... I'm new to woot... and yes, that was my source. Can't you use a photo as a source? I still drew the illustration. And it is 6 colors.

I'm not a designer (so someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong), but to the best of my understanding you can't use a photo as a source unless you took the shot. Did the photographer grant you permission to use their photo for commercial purposes and profit off of it? I'd think of it this way - how would you like it if you took this amazing photo that you were really proud of, only to see someone a few months later walking around with it on their shirt?

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
yankeebird wrote:What color shirt is that? I've never seen that on here! Is my monitor off and this is red, or is this just a color that doesn't get used much?

This is an Orange shirt. It doesn't get used very often, but one of the shirts that has been around on the reckoning for over 10 months used it, Cake. And it is quite a bright orange.

bvillarreal

klswoot wrote:She is probably referring to the actual bird after which the flower is named. ...the Bird of Paradise flower is called the Strelitzia, but more commonly known as the bird of paradise due to its resemblance to the bird.

The only reason I know this is because I was working on a design for this derby with a bird of paradise focus. (But, didn't think it really fit the luau theme.)

I always learn something new with each derby theme.

Hey, me too! It is pretty cool that the curiosity is sparked by something posted during the derby (this time I learned what an Olmec Head is!) - I was just beginning to work on a design with the bird of paradise flowers, but decided the flowers too closely resembled birds that have elicited negative responses ; ) and I did not know that they were named after an actual bird - thanks for including a link!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
bluchez wrote:This is an Orange shirt. It doesn't get used very often, but one of the shirts that has been around on the reckoning for over 10 months used it, Cake. And it is quite a bright orange.

Must just be my monitor and the contrast with the turquoise, then. I actually own The Cake Is A Liar. Thanks for the reply.

bvillarreal

Thanks for sharing caspian - I see that it's a horizontal line of solid light blue hibiscus stencils on a variety of shirt colors for $20 each. Not quite the bargain price mentioned earlier or not nearly as identical as stated earlier. You are entitled to your opinion, and certainly don't have to vote for my shirt.

bvillarreal

alftuba wrote:Ah, but I don't wear my internet name. ;) (maybe I should start?)

Seriously though, thanks. It's just my initials plus my current primary source of income. And my initials just happen to be an increasingly obscure 80's reference.

Awesome vocation!

rwoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoody
Re: eventide

Great design, a weee bit dark for my tastes though.

skibbereengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skibbereengirl
Re: Coconut Bank 2

I still have mine! I don't dare say how old it is, but let's just say it remembers the sixties. GMV!

Nightshooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
Re: Turtley Dissed!

is it just the one turtle on the shirt?

bvillarreal

bluchez wrote:linked so it doesn't look like you just chopped those.

Hey, bluecheese. Thanks for including the link. If I didn't have to go catch up on a mountain of paperwork I would google olmec t-shirt to reciprocate your efforts to educate the voters.

snobahr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages snobahr
Re: Hawaiian Shirt... shirt.

For some reason, the colors weirded out in the t-shirt... it's Orange, Red, Grass and Cranberry.