AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Wonderbunny wrote:This is very cool! Although, how many colors is that? If it is only six, could you post a close up so that we can see how the colors blend? It looks like they change which could mean you might have more then six colors - which unfortunately is against derby rules.

It looks like it should be only 6... the "thumbnail" shows a thin outline in some of those gradienty sections, so it's the image resolution making it look like different shades, not actual different colors.

That said, this is simply more proof that the woot derby is to shirts what Aldi is to food.

paulie8505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulie8505
Re: Beautiful Disaster

This is a pretty awesome design. It's definitely GMV!

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

bowling orbs.

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

Genius, *giggles*! That song always seems to get stuck in my head, and now it is again. Oi. Love the swirly fires, cutesy coconuts. Great job!

lipunkscene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lipunkscene

I am actually a girl as well.
I thought it would be funny either way.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

Nice set of coconuts, Fable.

Could use more sunset and flowers, tho. And coconuts actually evoke the tropics. Would be way better with ugly halftones, also.

BigMonty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigMonty
blammoed wrote:Wow EXCELLENT job, especially for your first submission! Love the rainbow colors and circular design, it's really beautiful.

Mind if I ask how you increased you image quality? Mine always seem to come up a bit muddy looking, even though I'm using high quality jpgs. I feel like I'm missing something *giggles*.

Thanks, Blammoed! To answer your question, I increased the image quality by submitting images that were formatted to Woot's specifications. That is...240px by 240px for the Design Detail and 600px by 600px for the Shirt Comp. If you submit larger images Woot resizes them automatically and the quality is lower.

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

I'm a huge fan of the bizarre humor, and it looks like a lot of work went into this. And the foremost pilgrim looks kinda like a Barack caricature.

BigMonty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigMonty
Wonderbunny wrote:This is very cool! Although, how many colors is that? If it is only six, could you post a close up so that we can see how the colors blend? It looks like they change which could mean you might have more then six colors - which unfortunately is against derby rules.

I'm glad you like it, Wonderbunny. It was my intention for it to look gradient-like. But it's not, I used 6 solid colors. I love when designers use a lot of colors. So that's what I did. I maxed out!

denders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denders
Re: Plumeria Paradise

Reminds me of money, which is what you'll be making if my prediction about where this ends up comes true.

lan414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lan414

Another cute design Kmbram! GMV. keep up the great work.

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
klswoot wrote:She is probably referring to the actual bird after which the flower is named. ...the Bird of Paradise flower is called the Strelitzia, but more commonly known as the bird of paradise due to its resemblance to the bird.

The only reason I know this is because I was working on a design for this derby with a bird of paradise focus. (But, didn't think it really fit the luau theme.)

I always learn something new with each derby theme.

A bit late here, but: Thanks kls, I was referring to the bird! I just assumed it was the bird, not the flower because of the pandering comment. The flower is quite striking too, and I'm sure would make a very interesting composition. I'd still like to see it! And dsnGrl, thanks for the ;) - taken in the spirit intended. :o)

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Slushed

Hey Seed- Looks like your design is making a run for it today. It's a very cute design and could be worn year round.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Re: Luau Fire

AH! I guess fog and fire don't mix :P

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
sokowa wrote:AH! I guess fog and fire don't mix :P

Don't fret yet Sokowa...it's still early in the competition. It's always tough when you fog so early in the derby because you are always wondering what's going to happen. Sometimes it's nicer to fog closer to the end of the competition...just so you have a better sense of where you stand relative to the others. Does that make sense?

Still...it's only Sunday...so there's lots of voting still to take place.

edit: I just saw your post above and your skull's face on the stick. After reading your comments, I imagine your chagrined face looks a bit like his expression as well. But again...it's still very early in the voting. Who knows what will happen.

tigerlillies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigerlillies
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

I didn't check out this thread as the design didn't interest me, however, now that I have, I'm kind of surprised.
I defend everyone's right to speak their mind on a piece whether they like it or they don't. I don't think they need to withdraw their opinions or try to sugarcoat things just because someone is offended.
I've seen much worse criticism. Saying that this is a shirt that seems common is mild in comparison.
Also, it seems there is a passive-agressive tone in all the defending and also that those defending so strongly are bashing others as well, like the little snipe at bluchez or the person decrying the meanness who went on to trash some other artist here calling their work childish. That person isn't even commenting in this thread so that could be construed as a cheap shot.
Anyway, this is a forum not a pre-school as someone said. If I did a piece, I'd want to hear what people liked and what they didn't.

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Tiki Totem and Flowers

I think this is a great use of the stained glass style you've been doing lately. It works especially well here! Also, thanks for the bird of paradise clarification in the other thread - you were right! Posted a reply there too. Way down at the bottom! :o)

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
caspianta wrote:did you see this one?

While I did not see this particular set of shirts, I did see other "3- tshirts with a horizontal stripe of hibiscus. " If you think this shirt is similar enough to reject this entry, use the Tattle button. But I think woot already knows what's out there, and they haven't rejected this one yet.

By the way, since this shirt can not be purchased online (you have to call an 800 #), and it costs twice the price as woot, they may consider that this shop is not a competitor. You can ask.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Slushed

funny shirt, really well done glad you're moving up the rankings, def gmv

blammoed

Josephus wrote:Thanks, they really turned out well.
I'm afraid I've become too seduced by the winsome witch that is the "woot-fake" halftone.

I'm most pleased by the curling-over wave, though, I think it worked great. and no halftones. :^D

Aye, they are tempting. I've made attempts with them but have no real idea how to make right, *giggles*. And I agree with you on the wave, excellent job-- there's so much moooovement in there!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: panda vacation

This is my favorite!

alloyguitar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alloyguitar

I actually like the minimal color scheme on the shirt. Personally, most of the designs I've seen for this derby just seem too over-the-top. This is simple and elegant. Good work.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
BigMonty wrote:I'm glad you like it, Wonderbunny. It was my intention for it to look gradient-like. But it's not, I used 6 solid colors. I love when designers use a lot of colors. So that's what I did. I maxed out!

Awesome! I was just checking as I'd hate for this to be rejected.

Thanks also responding Adder.

blammoed

Re: Good Vibrations

Awesome! This an an excellent use of the six colors. It works so perfectly together, your transparency-look really works great. Best of luck, gmv!

blammoed

Re: Luau: 10% Metal

FAVORITE.. love it, great work!, great movement. As metal as a luau can get. I want this shirt bad, oieoeoeheoieheoi.

blammoed

Re: Luau Fire

Love it, definitely feeling your windwaker inspiration here. I REALLY dig the cell-shaded look, you did a great job with it.

blammoed

Re: Coconut Bank 2

Oh wow, very cool! Love the illustration and great idea, too. Very nice coconutty texture work.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
klswoot wrote:Don't fret yet Sokowa...it's still early in the competition. It's always tough when you fog so early in the derby because you are always wondering what's going to happen. Sometimes it's nicer to fog closer to the end of the competition...just so you have a better sense of where you stand relative to the others. Does that make sense?

Still...it's only Sunday...so there's lots of voting still to take place.

edit: I just saw your post above and your skull's face on the stick. After reading your comments, I imagine your chagrined face looks a bit like his expression as well. But again...it's still very early in the voting. Who knows what will happen.

Thanks KLS Makes sense. If I win I win, If I don't I don't. I draw for myself first and foremost. I'm also using the derbies to find ways to feel out new styles. (I see myself as an artist of many styles, but master of none) :P I'll truly fret closer to Thursday, unless by then I'm far enough out of the fog I can relax again instead of wonder.
Until then I'm drawing other ideas on the side in this style. I'll most likely burn out on it eventually and move on, but until then CELL SHADED SWIRLS ARE MULTIPLYING ON MY HARD DRIVE!

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

mjc613 wrote:While I did not see this particular set of shirts, I did see other "3- tshirts with a horizontal stripe of hibiscus. " If you think this shirt is similar enough to reject this entry, use the Tattle button. But I think woot already knows what's out there, and they haven't rejected this one yet.

By the way, since this shirt can not be purchased online (you have to call and 800 #), and it costs twice the price as woot, they may consider that this shop is not a competitor. You can ask.

Price has never been a factor in whether or not a shirt was rejected.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Thdudeabides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thdudeabides

Ooo this one really stands out. Would love to buy this one! Good luck!

Re: Luau Tiki Torches

sumosahilattack

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sumosahilattack

hahahha nice

sagerman4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sagerman4
Re: Tiki Gods Bless This Limbo Pole

Man, this is the best entry for the day! Incredible! I really hope this wins cause I will buy this shirt right now. Right now. Now.

Right.

Now.

sycophant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sycophant
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

I think this shirt is beautiful and I will be proud to purchase it.

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
klswoot wrote:If you liked that link check out this video showing a Bird of Paradise courting ritual. It's oddly beautiful and entertaining.

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing that, klswoot!

bvillarreal

bluchez wrote:Wow. Yeah. I can assure you that I was trying to actually prevent bickering in your thread by removing one iteration out of the argument (as most regulars would have recognized). When someone posts a pic without a link, tons of people usually come to the shirt's defense saying they have to prove that it's for sale. I simply followed the picture's URL (that someone else posted) and linked the website. I have not, nor do I have any desire to, searched for shirts related to anything in this derby.

But, I guess we now know how quickly you might be willing to become what you and your sister have so vocally spoken out against. Definitely interesting.

Sorry I mistook your helpfulness for hurtfulness. Maybe I'm overly sensitive. I have no desire to look up and/or post any shirts related to this derby either. And actually, I like your Olmec head and found it the most interesting bit of woot-inspired wiki-reading this week - except for maybe klswoots lovebird link. I haven't asked to be in the fog, nor have I requested to be shielded from criticism, and I didn't ask to be defended. I created this design because I liked it and really didn't expect any attention.

bvillarreal

tigerlillies wrote:I didn't check out this thread as the design didn't interest me, however, now that I have, I'm kind of surprised.
I defend everyone's right to speak their mind on a piece whether they like it or they don't. I don't think they need to withdraw their opinions or try to sugarcoat things just because someone is offended.
I've seen much worse criticism. Saying that this is a shirt that seems common is mild in comparison.
Also, it seems there is a passive-agressive tone in all the defending and also that those defending so strongly are bashing others as well, like the little snipe at bluchez or the person decrying the meanness who went on to trash some other artist here calling their work childish. That person isn't even commenting in this thread so that could be construed as a cheap shot.
Anyway, this is a forum not a pre-school as someone said. If I did a piece, I'd want to hear what people liked and what they didn't.

I do want to hear what people say and I cannot control what others post in my thread.

bvillarreal

caspianta wrote:why does the price have anything to do with the originality of the design?

I wasn't suggesting it did - just referencing an earlier suggestion that this shirt could be had for $2 or 5 for $20 or something close to that.
My drawing and explanation of my approach to the design are posted. I didn't create this thinking it would do well. I created it because I liked it. Of course you and anyone else are entitled and welcomed to express your disdain and to post anything you'd like.

bvillarreal

sycophant wrote:I think this shirt is beautiful and I will be proud to purchase it.

Thank you, your compliment is appreciated - with a user id like that, I'd really be bummed if you didn't like it.

srglancey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srglancey
Re: Polynesian Mermaid

Wow. I'm not really sure where to start. Well, first of all, basically no to Andy. I did a tub full of babies in this style about 6 years ago but I gifted the drawing to my cousin (and, of course, didn't make a copy for my portfolio first). But I really enjoyed revisiting it so there may be more to come.
On to the hooha: I intended to make a girly shirt. I don't think there are enough of them voted up for print. So, yeah, I am relieved to hear that men wouldn't wear it. And I can absolutly understand how that would make a guy feel pervy and creepy. However, I am quite surprised at the female consensus that it's "dirty". 1) she's not human--she's a mythical creature, 2) its an illustration--not even remotely realistic, 3) no parts are showing! And while we're on this point. I did want to make her tail another color...but I'm only allowed 6--I flat ran out of colors and had to make do. As for the intended age of the mermaid, I did intend it to be a young girl (2ish) because she's so innocent--I think a woman would have been infinitely worse. My message is not sex. I am really surprised at the prudishness of wooters--disappointed even. I don't know. Possibly I'm disappointed because I really thought I had something special. I'm absolutely tickled with this and thought others would be too.
And, lastly, thank you to chrisdg. I'm glad you would vote for it even if you wouldn't buy it for yourself.

the4bagger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the4bagger
Re: I Forgot the Flowers

Rejected for being off-topic? I really don't see how it's off-topic, but I guess it's a lost cause for me to argue with the rejectionator...