CAMMS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CAMMS
Re: The Pig Fights Back

llo! Go get 'em piggy!!

slomer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slomer

They look like some sort of nintendo game enemies like the shy guys or the things in zelda that spit seeds or whatever at you. I wish they were not exact copies and instead had some small variance but even so I can see myself wearing this. You have my vote.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
Josephus wrote:gosh mia, where did you get the idea these were reeds? They are grasses.

Personally, I've never been in a place as you describe. I saw similar grasses on South Padre Island 30 years ago, I know they abound throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico. and, they grow at the edge of the beach, among the dunes that grow above the high tide lines. not in salt marshes, whatever those are. There are also similar grasses in the Pacific as well, including some that have invaded. This is a scene of a sunset on the waves, nearly but not exactly

"moonlight on the waves: just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas...We're not necessarily looking for anthropological accuracy - just designs that use this visual vocabulary."

Generally speaking, if you're at the beach, you don't see the palm trees, looking out over the water- if you see anything other than water and setting sun, you see something like I drew.

Thanks for the comment, I know I shouldn't be surprised to see doubtful comments now that my design has started flirting with the edge of the fog, I guess.

Generally speaking, you wouldn't see palm trees at a beach, but since the theme isn't beach but "At the Luau" it evokes a Polynesian idea where you would see palm trees, as in HI.

This shirt does not fit the "At the Luau" theme; it would fit for island paradise, beach, sunset, get-a-away, etc. but I think the theme is pretty specific and this doesn't fit into it.
I do not think this criticism is coming because you were coming close and are now in the fog. I have no vested interest in any shirt in this derby (I don't really like any of them) so I could care less which wins; I just care that whatever wins fits the theme. I didn't see in your post that I responded to how this fit the theme. This has, in my opinion, no connection to a luau.

As a side note, I always enjoy your work and this is no exception. It's beautiful, just not theme-fitting.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dlind41

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlind41

Well, I never post on here, I just enjoy the shirts and looking at peoples design. With that said I like your design a lot. The Colors are my favorite and i love the idea of a liquid design for the flower. So here's to your design staying in the fog!!

Harcourt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Harcourt
Re: Coconuts For You

I like this design a lot! Good luck in the derby.

cooperfoyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooperfoyt

Shirt had me laughing for 5 minutes. Ugh.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
makselarts wrote:yes one tiny turtle

I like it. It's understated. Nice! I'd buy THAT, for a dollar! ;-)

I'd like to see it on cream, the color everyone hates today, but would make little turtle even more understated and cool.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

This is my favorite. Good shirt color too! Is there some way that woot will woot AT me if this becomes available?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

karma1apple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karma1apple

I don't understand, it seems like you could get a shirt identical to this at any Wal-Mart or Target.

pankay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pankay
Re: Luau Drinks - Your Mileage May Vary

I like this one! I'd definitely buy one

ekaywhy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekaywhy

congratulations on having the most discussed entry i've ever seen. couldn't even dream of reading though all these comments.

ekaywhy

Dassassin wrote:Reminds me of The Curse of Monkey Island.

YES! Exactly what i was gonna say! most underrated game ever! GMV!

ekaywhy

Re: Dancing in the dark

...can't staaaart a fiiiiire withoooout a spark...

landstander00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages landstander00
Re: Hibiscus Dreams

Love the shirt, hope I get the chance to buy it.

Kievve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kievve

Annajo, it's beautiful. I have a friend who's a fire dancer and never wears anything but plain shirts, but I think she'll make an exception for this. She'd better, as I'm buying her one (and one for me!) when you win!

NuAngel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NuAngel

You've got my vote.

If this shirt doesn't win, is there a chance you could send me the graphic some time in the future? I graduated two years ago, but my campus has annual pig-roasts, and making up some promo shirts for the first time in a few years would be fun, and that Swine Tiki would be perfect!! Please let me know! NuAngel@gmail.com

Nu

This one time, I wooted off in public.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Josephus wrote:gosh mia, where did you get the idea these were reeds? They are grasses.

Personally, I've never been in a place as you describe. I saw similar grasses on South Padre Island 30 years ago, I know they abound throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico. and, they grow at the edge of the beach, among the dunes that grow above the high tide lines. not in salt marshes, whatever those are. There are also similar grasses in the Pacific as well, including some that have invaded. This is a scene of a sunset on the waves, nearly but not exactly

"moonlight on the waves: just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas...We're not necessarily looking for anthropological accuracy - just designs that use this visual vocabulary."

Generally speaking, if you're at the beach, you don't see the palm trees, looking out over the water- if you see anything other than water and setting sun, you see something like I drew.

maybe it isn't 'Anthropological accuracy', but it sure is a beach scene, and evokes the right mood.

Thanks for the comment, I know I shouldn't be surprised to see doubtful comments now that my design has started flirting with the edge of the fog, I guess.

Josephus, I wasn't attacking you, just questioning if this is on theme. Your grasses or reeds look what I see near the salt marsh or near a lake/pond. I've been wondering how this could have fit a Luau theme for a while, but didn't speak up until it made it into the fog, because I didn't care that much earlier.

I disagree that any beach scene is on theme, the theme is a Luau, not just beaches.

Regardless, it's up to woot to decide. Congratulations on the fogging!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Kievve wrote:Annajo, it's beautiful. I have a friend who's a fire dancer and never wears anything but plain shirts, but I think she'll make an exception for this. She'd better, as I'm buying her one (and one for me!) when you win!

Thanks so much for the support!

AnnaJo

Re: Eco-Tiki

I really like the simplicity of the tikis and the shirt as a whole. gmv!

AnnaJo

Re: panda vacation

Very cute! gmv

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mia3mom wrote:Josephus, I wasn't attacking you, just questioning if this is on theme. Your grasses or reeds look what I see near the salt marsh or near a lake/pond. I've been wondering how this could have fit a Luau theme for a while, but didn't speak up until it made it into the fog, because I didn't care that much earlier.

I disagree that any beach scene is on theme, the theme is a Luau, not just beaches.

Regardless, it's up to woot to decide. Congratulations on the fogging!

I don't think I said you were attacking me? "I know I shouldn't be surprised to see doubtful comments now that my design has started flirting with the edge of the fog, I guess." right here you commented that you "didn't speak up until it made it into the fog, because I didn't care that much earlier."
-seems like I was pretty much right on!

OK, mia, I get that you think it looks like a pond. I have already said it wasn't, and that it isn't reeds, which look very different from these grasses.

I took this photo on the beach on Padre Island in 1979, and this embodied the mood woot was talking about, in my opinion, of moonlight on the water, the tropical start to the night of the luau:

maybe my interpretation of my own photograph didn't evoke the mood I was attempting to produce well enough for you, I guess not. sorry.

I would hope that woot HAS decided, as they have gone through and rejected at least twice, and left my design alone. Certainly the second time my shirt was already close to the fog, if not fogged, so they have looked at it when it was a reasonable contender to be printed, and left it alone.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Josephus wrote:I don't think I said you were attacking me? "I know I shouldn't be surprised to see doubtful comments now that my design has started flirting with the edge of the fog, I guess." right here you commented that you "didn't speak up until it made it into the fog, because I didn't care that much earlier."
-seems like I was pretty much right on!

OK, mia, I get that you think it looks like a pond. I have already said it wasn't, and that it isn't reeds, which look very different from these grasses.

I took this photo on the beach on Padre Island in 1979, and this embodied the mood woot was talking about, in my opinion, of moonlight on the water, the tropical start to the night of the luau:

maybe my interpretation of my own photograph didn't evoke the mood I was attempting to produce well enough for you, I guess not. sorry.

I would hope that woot HAS decided, as they have gone through and rejected at least twice, and left my design alone. Certainly the second time my shirt was already close to the fog, if not fogged, so they have looked at it when it was a reasonable contender to be printed, and left it alone.

Hrm, I wouldn't trust the whole "Woot went through twice already" feeling. I had entries that were fogged from day one that were rejected on a Tuesday.
Woot doesn't look at entries much over the weekend it seems.

Not saying this will get rejected, just that the argument that it has made it this far is no longer valid (goes for any shirt too). FWIW, I wish the colors were livelier to represent the happiness that is a luau. This kinda makes me feel gloomy :/

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
Re: panda vacation

Would definitely buy a few of these!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Josephus wrote:

The reeds around ponds here look very similar to the grasses in your picture, as do the plants growing around the salt marshes. It's not your interpretation of your photograph with which I take issue, it's the subject matter. Reeds, grasses, and sunsets with a bit of water don't evoke a luau theme to me. If I thought that was on topic, I have hundreds of beach pictures i could have used to create an image.

So far there have been 4 quick rejections. I am hoping woot will be rejecting more today, whether or not they consider yours to be on theme.

In any case, congrats on the fog and best wishes

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
sokowa wrote:Hrm, I wouldn't trust the whole "Woot went through twice already" feeling. I had entries that were fogged from day one that were rejected on a Tuesday.
Woot doesn't look at entries much over the weekend it seems.

heh. 'trust' and 'hope' are two different creatures entirely, aren't they?

that would be a fun theme- depict an abstract noun: hope, hate, trust, etc.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Josephus wrote:heh. 'trust' and 'hope' are two different creatures entirely, aren't they?

You're right, indeed they are. Didn't know my post was going to be read into that much.

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Plumeria Paradise

I love this.

septober

quality posts: 0 Private Messages septober
Re: Fire Dancer

Excellent design, but the way the black doesn't show up well on asphalt, I'd have to pass. Your flames are terrific!

marshabike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marshabike
Re: Slushed

I love the cartoon imagery- no words, message is 100% there! Great work!

AnnaJo

septober wrote:Excellent design, but the way the black doesn't show up well on asphalt, I'd have to pass. Your flames are terrific!

Thanks! Thats what I was counting on actually, I really wanted the dancer to be very secondary to the flames. That is why it is just a simple silhouette in black compared to the 5 colors that make up the flames. Thanks for the input though, can't please everyone

AnnaJo

Re: Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

*giggles*, cute, gmv. Plus it invites a ton of inappropriate comments about my coconuts

auntiesash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiesash

This is incredible beautiful. It's perfectly on theme, but I want the shirts for Beltane! This would be a GREAT gift for the firetender and for the scapegoat who leaps through the flames.

Gorgeous flame work. I'm gonna try that layering on my next silk project. I think it might really be amazing.

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

back at you! GMV

Kwatson29

Re: Fire Dancer

Yay! In the Fog!! Hope it stays there!!!

Kwatson29

Re: The Pig Fights Back

Piggy gonna "git" you!!

Kwatson29

Re: Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

Super cute and great on the brown shirt!! Would wear this!! GMV

auntiesash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auntiesash

So - I love the overall feel of this shirt. Not so much the dude, but the minimalist, chalk feel of the landcape is neat. I hope you'll do this up for a camping theme or a desert or something.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: tikill a mokingbird.

I enjoy the symbolism here. Now have the tiki burning down some trees while kicking aturtle and you're set.

AnnaJo

auntiesash wrote:This is incredible beautiful. It's perfectly on theme, but I want the shirts for Beltane! This would be a GREAT gift for the firetender and for the scapegoat who leaps through the flames.

Gorgeous flame work. I'm gonna try that layering on my next silk project. I think it might really be amazing.

oooh, that would be a great use for this shirt as well!

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
lipunkscene wrote:I am actually a girl as well.
I thought it would be funny either way.

where in L I are you from?

Please check it out