toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
4Se7ens wrote:I dunno, toe. Did you even consider that the line-work and stylization on this illustration would be way too well-rendered, visually stunning, and not even close to generic enough to have a decent chance at the fog? Just my two cents. Voted anyway.

not really, but it did occur to me after the 5 hour of working on it that i had already spent way too much time on it for it to win.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Luau Girl

tabrazinski wrote:it is a tragedy that this has fallen so far when everything in the fog is blah, blah, blah, and blah.

I know this is a tough style to 'sell' and doesn't appeal to everyone either as art or as a tshirt design. But, I sketched this design because it expresses me through my art style and my feelings of the theme. I thank woot for creating the theme because it gave me a chance to sketch this design and work with Toe. I'm thrilled with how he colored it and I wouldn't change a thing. Regardless of rank or vote total, I'm pleased with the outcome and the response and I hope Toe is too!

So, too, for the 'Dancing in the Dark' design.

I'm hoping Toe will agree to take both designs to teefury. Perhaps we'd have a better chance there. We'll see what he wants to do when the 60 days are up.

Thanks again for supporting this design.

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: Osama bin Loungin'

I like the style and the colors, but I think you are not getting a lot of votes because I don't think a lot of people really want to wear a shirt depicting Osama relaxing in comfort somewhere.
Just my thoughts.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
toe2254 wrote:not really, but it did occur to me after the 5 hour of working on it that i had already spent way too much time on it for it to win.

Wait...only 5 hours. I'm embarrassed to say how long it would take me. (I've spent 16 hours on one design...I know...I'm an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES!!)

And, mine wouldn't look like your Luau Angel even if I tried to copy it straight off the page!!! 5 hours...no way! That's some serious talent!

Toe - Any chance you'll make Luau Angel available in a print form as well as a tshirt at some later date?

SydneyB

SydneyB

Re: Luau on the Cheap

L.O.L! Very amusing

abstractmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abstractmonkey

I really like this. I've always thought those fishing hooks looked more menacing than normal hooks. Nice job!

SydneyB

Re: How baby islands are made...

This is so cute! GMV

malphrusoxide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malphrusoxide

earthart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
thesmath wrote:Earthart, let me know if you plan on doing a limitied print elsewhere if it doesn't get printed. This would make a great gift for someone and I'd really like to get a copy by the end of the year if possible. Great luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for at least a runner up print. Thank you!

thesmath, thank you very much for the great feedback and I am flattered by your offer to purchase a print. Woot has exclusive right to the design for 60 days (well, actually about 55 days now) so I am unable to do anything with it until about the beginning of November. I do actually have plans for it at that time if this does not get named as an honorable mention. I will send you a private message letting you know of those plans so that we can stay in touch. Thanks again so much for the great compliment. Talk to you soon.

SydneyB

Re: Luau Angel

Oh! How absolutely beautiful!! Why is this not fogged??

malphrusoxide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malphrusoxide
Re: Hibiscus Dreams

just a plain ol' sweet lookin shirt. gmv

SydneyB

Re: Bob forgot he was wearing 'Sharkbait Tiki' mask

The shark just sells it! Wonderful!

toe2254

klswoot wrote:I know this is a tough style to 'sell' and doesn't appeal to everyone either as art or as a tshirt design. But, I sketched this design because it expresses me through my art style and my feelings of the theme. I thank woot for creating the theme because it gave me a chance to sketch this design and work with Toe. I'm thrilled with how he colored it and I wouldn't change a thing. Regardless of rank or vote total, I'm pleased with the outcome and the response and I hope Toe is too!

So, too, for the 'Dancing in the Dark' design.

I'm hoping Toe will agree to take both designs to teefury. Perhaps we'd have a better chance there. We'll see what he wants to do when the 60 days are up.

Thanks again for supporting this design.

despite not being ranked higher than it is, i think this design has done extremely well. it's currently in the top 20 which is nothing to sneeze at. my philosophy has long been "expect the worst but hope for the best" when i comes to contests like the derby, so it's done far better than i expected, just not quite as well as i had hoped. however, it was both a joy and honor to participate in bringing this design to life, and that, more than how many votes it does or doesn't have was worth the experience.

as for its future, as far as i am concerned, this is your design Kristen and i leave it to you to decide its destiny. i will claim custody of Dancing in the Dark though.

i too thank everyone who supported this design.

toe2254

klswoot wrote:Wait...only 5 hours. I'm embarrassed to say how long it would take me. (I've spent 16 hours on one design...I know...I'm an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES!!)

And, mine wouldn't look like your Luau Angel even if I tried to copy it straight off the page!!! 5 hours...no way! That's some serious talent!

Toe - Any chance you'll make Luau Angel available in a print form as well as a tshirt at some later date?

the 5th hour was when i had the realization.. i think it was somewhere around 8 total. it's the Wacom pad that makes the difference. once you have one you'll see the difference. there is a period of adjustment though until you get used to it. when i was using a mouse a design like Luau Angel could easily take twice as long.

and yes, she will be added to the growing list of designs that i will eventually offer somewhere.. once i decide where that somewhere is.

prepn15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prepn15

Oh damn, just took the 4th spot in the Fog

Just Keep Swimming

toe2254

SydneyB wrote:Oh! How absolutely beautiful!! Why is this not fogged??

apparently she's too masculine and looks like a trouser snake.

ruby2uesday

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruby2uesday
AnnaJo wrote:I'm truly appalled that this is no longer in the fog. Must find a way to vote more than once....

I was bummed to see it not in the fog to! between it and the fire dancer, those were my 2 faves!

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Luau Dream

This is really well drawn, though without a pupil she looks like a zombie ;-)

Check out my blog:Here!

Keelmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy

Beautiful. I hope you are one of the winners. I'd buy in an instant.

[/url]

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SydneyB wrote:The shark just sells it! Wonderful!

Thanks. I love this design- everything works, I believe. the shark best of all.
I'll probably rework this to send somewhere else after I get the rights back.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Hibiscus Dreams

This looks really sharp. My favorite of the fogged entries!

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Maori Love Birds V2 (RESUB)

Hotness!! Woo hoo! Would be nice to see this in the fog sometime!

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Schrobblehead wrote:I haven't much paid attention to comments on individual shirts in a while so skimming over these has been quite a treat. I haven't seen this much hating on a design since the comments on the hoodie design from trompe l'oeil. lulz

Had to go back and see - I wasn't here then. Didn't read it all, but it looks like it was a little more intense. Nice woodcut/ukioye feel to your tiki surfer design, btw.

bvillarreal

aenari wrote:Pretty colors...but pretty boring, if you ask me.

Thanks for the compliment on the colors.

bvillarreal

dustpuppy wrote:But you know, as a Hawaii expat, that's exactly why I like it.

Thanks, Dustpuppy!

earthart

rachel1aaron wrote:Hotness!! Woo hoo! Would be nice to see this in the fog sometime!

I wish! I've been here a few times and unfortunately it has always been fleeting, just even to feel a little bit of heat from the hotness. I once saw the fog in the distance, so it does really exist, but again it was fleeting. Maybe someday. I'll do my best to keep trying, although the next few months will be a transition period and it may be tough to find the time (I've been saying that for three weeks though and I find myself cruising woot Thursday afternoon every week anyway). Thanks again for everything, especially your feedback that helped me to improve the design.

bvillarreal

sutheo wrote:Of all posts here I think you said it best, people are whining because this shirt isn't quite 'wooty' enough for them. That is why I personally only vote for shirts I would buy/wear, not just shirts I that are good designs.

As with most people on this site, I don't buy every shirt that comes up. I buy a shirt or 2 a month, and really refuse to get bent out of shape over peticular shirts not getting printed.

I agree with your take on voting, I also vote for what I would want to wear.

rachel1aaron

earthart wrote:I wish! I've been here a few times and unfortunately it has always been fleeting, just even to feel a little bit of heat from the hotness. I once saw the fog in the distance, so it does really exist, but again it was fleeting. Maybe someday. I'll do my best to keep trying, although the next few months will be a transition period and it may be tough to find the time (I've been saying that for three weeks though and I find myself cruising woot Thursday afternoon every week anyway). Thanks again for everything, especially your feedback that helped me to improve the design.

I think you're being awfully modest here, because I really do see this making a steady climb. This is quite different from many entries, and very wearable. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see at least a top 10. As for input, I just voiced an opinion. (or 10!) It is your original work that is getting the votes. (And I'm not trying to start a debate!) :o)

fablefire

quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
cobolisdead wrote:That is the joke. I love how it is a great shirt, especially for women, and it jests the other designs at the same time. GMV!

Winner! ;)

rachel1aaron

earthart wrote: although the next few months will be a transition period and it may be tough to find the time (I've been saying that for three weeks though and I find myself cruising woot Thursday afternoon every week anyway).

Forgot to add, as for having the time, life goes on.......

Babylonian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Babylonian
Re: maiself-tai

Adorable concept, adorable name, adorable drawing. gmv

earthart

rachel1aaron wrote:I think you're being awfully modest here, because I really do see this making a steady climb. This is quite different from many entries, and very wearable. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see at least a top 10. As for input, I just voiced an opinion. (or 10!) It is your original work that is getting the votes. (And I'm not trying to start a debate!) :o)

Well, you've got yourself a little debate. While I appreciate your very positive comments about my entry, the derby is drawing to an end and such a climb would be extremely unlikely (I am however amazed at the movement of "Honu - Spirit of Hawaii" toward top-10 status today!). I am already happy with its current success and would be thrilled with even a top-20 finish. thesmath asked earlier in the thread for one if I print it elsewhere down the road, and that may actually happen. If so, I will send you one as, regardless of your modesty (touché), it is in part your design. Thanks again.

Babylonian

Re: Polynesian Mermaid

It looks like a nude child. I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't like to wear a drawing of a nude child.

Babylonian

Re: Luau Dream

Gorgeous. I think woot needs more designs like this and less barely-clever clipart.

ChokingOutTheRadio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ChokingOutTheRadio
Re: eventide

Nowhere in the rules does it say a luau must be involved in the design. It simply says used images associated with the south pacific. I'll try to make my comments as middling ans static as possible so they wont be pulled down with minutes by the overly sensitive moderators...whoops.

AGrant311

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311
Re: Fire Dancer

This is the only one in the Fog right now that I would even consider buying. The other three, while pretty, just don't do anything for me and I'm not the kind of girl that wears t-shirts with flowers on them. I'm going to echo a lot of the other posters here and agree; the work on the flames in this piece is fantastic.

rachel1aaron

earthart wrote:Well, you've got yourself a little debate. Thanks again.

You're welcome. :o) :P

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ChokingOutTheRadio wrote:Nowhere in the rules does it say a luau must be involved in the design. It simply says used images associated with the south pacific. I'll try to make my comments as middling ans static as possible so they wont be pulled down with minutes by the overly sensitive moderators...whoops.

You think "South Pacific" when you see this?

I don't even think "coast of oregon pacific" when I see this.

dmkooo

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
Re: Luau Angel

superb!