theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

The fire is fantastic. Nice job!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

This turned out really well. I love that old ad, so that makes me very partial to this shirt.

krouth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
Re: Pacific Sunset

I like this a lot. Good job!

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
boni wrote:I am thoroughly embarrassed to be part of a community that would treat a fairly recent addition like this just because her design is doing well.
Particularly since it is someone I encouraged to join. Yes, she used the same flower to create a pattern, but it worked because the flower was very well drawn and color was used exceptionally well. She has neither the time nor the resources that most of you use to create your designs - having a more than full time job, a family, and only paper, pencil, an old scanner and Photoshop Elements to work with and yet, she still manages to create designs that people like.
I loved the idea of shirt.woot... I think it could have been a great place to have fun with design and offer encouragement and support to those new to the game, but that isn't what it is...
Congratulations, bv, on being in the fog… I wish you the best of luck!
And thus ends my interest in anything shirt.woot related...

shirt.woot is a great community of people who critique. it's also filled with an interesting mix of characters.

I don't think that this design is excellent, however, no matter how you try to rationalize it. the flowers are pretty, but it is very generic, and not particularly original. Pretty, though.

If comments like these upset you for your friend's designs, never mind your own, you won't last long around here. As it says on the shirt.woot front page, "Enter our weekly shirt-off and let the community judge. Be warned: they’re a harsh judge indeed."

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

oogyboogawa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oogyboogawa
AnnaJo wrote:I sure could if you are interested

I'd love some tips too, if you have the time.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jbedwar1 wrote:well .... the silhouettes might not show up that well on the brown .... but i think that is fine in this case. They don't really need to stand out.

still a concern, though, since black on brown can be very faint. And when woot refuses to quality check, and the wooters insist that this time will be different, we'll have a third instance to prove it.

mia3mom

Re: Luau Fire

love it sokowa! the reflection in the water totally makes it for me. great work!

Trickee04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Trickee04

I love this shirt, personally. It's mine and my girlfriend's favorite flower. I certainly hope that even if it doesn't win, you'll put it on threadless or bountee or some other shirt place. I'd definitely buy it.

mia3mom

Re: Tiki Beast from 50 Fathoms

very cool tikipus. great detailing, gentry. nice!

sharnar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharnar
Re: Tropic Unplugged

i love this one, it has a great twist on the theme this week i would vote like 20 times if i could cause i would definitely buy one

mia3mom

Re: Tiki Gods Bless This Limbo Pole

this is one of my faves this week, chris. it's just fabulous. Wish it was still up near the fog! Hopefully it can move back up!

mia3mom

Re: Sometimes I explode, and I don't know why.

aaah! the lava's almost at the fishies! great lava flows, and fabulous expression on the volcano

(or are they drowned stick people? that's what my demented brain thought first - not sure which idea I like better)

sharnar

i love this one, i gmv at first glance i also am in love wiht the colors i hope this does well, GOOD LUCK!

yaddayaddayaddayadda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yaddayaddayaddayadda
boni wrote:I am thoroughly embarrassed to be part of a community that would treat a fairly recent addition like this just because her design is doing well.
Particularly since it is someone I encouraged to join. Yes, she used the same flower to create a pattern, but it worked because the flower was very well drawn and color was used exceptionally well. She has neither the time nor the resources that most of you use to create your designs - having a more than full time job, a family, and only paper, pencil, an old scanner and Photoshop Elements to work with and yet, she still manages to create designs that people like.
I loved the idea of shirt.woot... I think it could have been a great place to have fun with design and offer encouragement and support to those new to the game, but that isn't what it is...

boni, you've been a great addition to the community, and I'm very sorry to see you go. I really hope you'll take some time to cool off and reconsider.

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Luau Girl

Thanks for all the kind words everybody! (And the votes, of course!) I'm sure Toe will chime in when he gets back from work...but then he'll be working away at the other design. We actually had a third one drawn out on paper, but I think we may save that one for a daily. It seemed more tropical than Luau. But, I'm seeing quite a few high-ranking designs that don't really seem to fit "at the luau" theme...so, maybe we could have pulled off the tropical one too.

Thanks again for the early votes!

clydefr0g

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clydefr0g

just a little tiki guy living inside of a copy of his own head

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

With all the work you have done on the stats, etc, for shirt.woot, I refuse to let you make this decision. It is simply not yours to make. You have to allow us to vote if you are free to leave or not.

AnnaJo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
oogyboogawa wrote:I'd love some tips too, if you have the time.

Hmm, well lets see.... I'll go through my process and then maybe that will translate into some "tips"

First I looked at a TON of photos of fire to see how the colors and shapes played into eachother. Then I drew some rough flames in the shapes I wanted, scanned then placed in illustrator. I used 5 colors layered on top of each other. Each color is just slight tone adjustment to give the fire some "volume"

Here is a layered and un-layered image to show you guys how I put it together. I hope this is helpful!

MostBestestBuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MostBestestBuddy

Please Comment!

And thank you WonderBunny for your suggestions

AnnaJo

Re: He's Watching

Love love love this one! Just perfect on the shades, the subtle image is AMAZING, GMV!

crowkart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowkart

I dig it.
GMV for sure.

GoldBerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoldBerry
erina7262 wrote:I dont get it...

I believe it's supposed to be a sign to show caution about an erupting volcano, I could be wrong though.

AnnaJo

Re: Luau: 10% Metal

*giggles*, PERFECT, gmv

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Trickee04 wrote:I love this shirt, personally. It's mine and my girlfriend's favorite flower. I certainly hope that even if it doesn't win, you'll put it on threadless or bountee or some other shirt place. I'd definitely buy it.

I really urge you all to look at other shirt sites... really browse them and see what sort of work normally wins. Woot is seriously the only contest site I can think of where this entry, or one similar, would be doing so well. Look at threadless, design by humans, uneetee, teefury... this shirt would be an anomaly in their catalogs. It's not to be demeaning or rude so much as to be honest. It only takes a quick browse through any other catalog to realize how "unique" (to spare a crueler and more honest word) woot's derby standards are.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
MostBestestBuddy wrote:Please Comment!

And thank you WonderBunny for your suggestions

Looks great. I love the panda. Just an FYI for future note, all designs need to be at least an inch from the seams which is why I thought it was too high on the shoulder/near the collar.

Also, to get rid of your other, just view it and there should be an x somewhere so you can remove it.

mia3mom

Re: Let's All Go To The Luau!!!

cute, skek! I remember those fruit candy ads... fun

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
mia3mom wrote:aaah! the lava's almost at the fishies! great lava flows, and fabulous expression on the volcano

(or are they drowned stick people? that's what my demented brain thought first - not sure which idea I like better)

Definitely fishies. The poor volcano really couldn't live with himself if he melted a bunch of people!

Thanks for the support, mia!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Bobby, put that back before Greg goes surfing...

The tiki isn't large enough to show separate colors. If there are complex gradients, woot may still reject it.

mjc613

Re: A Tropic Sunset V.2

How can you tell that this is a Hawaiian luau instead of a South Texas Shrimp Boil? Or a Tampa fish fry?

MockingbirdSymphony

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MockingbirdSymphony

I'd hate to be a broken record, but I'll be it anyway. It's a cool shirt, but one you could get something similar to pretty much anywhere. I hope you continue to make shirts, I'm sure you'll improve. Either way, congrats on making it into the fog. Apparently a lot of people like it, whether they say it or not. Actually, I think the title you gave it is cooler...but I like words. Welcome to shirtwoot, by the way. :D

talkingbeatles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talkingbeatles
Re: Hot Tropic

I appreciate the small graphic.
Big graphics on shirts frequently come off as tacky.

sharnar

i like the design, just not a huge fan of the color scheme but it is really funny

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Mine is Scarier (RESUB)

Nice drawing.

Wonderbunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Liquid Hibiscus

1. Boni, you can't leave! The stats you've put together have been awesome and no matter what site you find, there are always disagreements and rudeness. Something about the internet makes the "rude" come out of people. And much of the time, you've (and designers and buyers) just have to let that go. Woot is here to sell shirts. Designers are here to sell shirts - yes it is creative process to but in the end, the thing they all want, is to sell a shirt.

2. Shirts like this do well because people do want them. And Woot is not Threadless or DBH or any other shirt site out there, it is Woot. And they seem to be doing pretty well - Today's shirt sold out, last week the two derby winners sold out. If you want wild and fills the whole shirt, you go to DBH. If you don't want derby rules you go to Threadless. I think that most people that are t-shirt addicts shop everywhere because each site offers something different. Which really is what art is all about - personal interpretation. If the artist and enough voters on Woot want this shirt it prints, and those who don’t like, won’t have to buy it.

3. I don't know if the artist was going for a crystal look or not with the flowers but that is what they look like to me and on the asphalt makes it very different. I won't vote for it as all asphalt shirts are no no for me but I think the colors look great.

hahaha... I think this is my longest post ever on Woot.

mjc613

Re: Luau Girl

This is simply gorgeous. Now I want to take a trip to Hawaii to wear it!!

JustJiggles

ChrisRisse wrote:any guesses as to what song is stuck in my head now?

Danny's Song by Anne Murray?

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
AnnaJo wrote:Boy he looks really unhappy! I tried my hand at a tiki god, but couldn't get it to look right, you did a great job, especially just over your lunch break! gmv

Thank you! There is a point to his madness...he hates the hat (giggle) that is why he's soooooo mad!! Ha ha! He's throwing a little tiki tantrom!!

JustJiggles

AdderXYU wrote:still a concern, though, since black on brown can be very faint. And when woot refuses to quality check, and the wooters insist that this time will be different, we'll have a third instance to prove it.

You know you can't make black any more black.

mjc613

Re: Hot Tropic

Can you add a closeup of one ot the pineapples? It looks like a photo with gradients on my computer, but that could be because of the size.

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Re: Fire Dancer

Funny thing, I was going to create a fire dancer shirt...but got stuck on time limit! I like your shirt alot! GMV