+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Way back in Derby #36: Text as Art, we asked you to take words and make pictures out of them. This week, we're asking you to do the opposite: take pictures and make words out of them. Confused about the distinction? This week, think about the classic "animal alphabet"-type children's books, where an alligator's open mouth makes an "A", a slithering snake makes an "S", and a yak's horn's make a "Y". Think about what every kid in America does when they hear the song "YMCA". Think about those aerial photos where a crowd of people stand positioned in clusters to spell words. Illustrations that form text, get it?

No fonts. There are many fonts out there that do this kind of thing. None of them are allowed. You can't just type out some text and call it a Derby entry. Where's the skill in that? Please tattle if you notice someone else doing this, too.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #63 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.You should also look at this help thread by tgentry.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Maximillian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian

Very cool. This should be a really creative one!

EDIT: now all I can think of is YMCA.... would that be rejected?

mayokingcomics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayokingcomics

bah,..... im stumped already llo

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Wow...
Apparently recycled themes are becoming a habit. :/

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

So...do you have to spell out a word or can you just do one letter? --or random letters?

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
illuminator wrote:Wow...
Apparently recycled themes are becoming a habit. :/

Too true!

Now I guess the challenge is to come up with a saying that people would want.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
theinfinityloop wrote:So...do you have to spell out a word or can you just do one letter? --or random letters?

Looks like they don't care either way...no restrictions on the number of letters that I can tell.

illuminator

Is plain text allowed with the design? Say I make up a word and do the first letter as art and the rest plain text or maybe a short word and throw a little slogan at the bottom?

klswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
artulo wrote:Too true!

Now I guess the challenge is to come up with a saying that people would want.

That was my first thought too!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
illuminator wrote:Is plain text allowed with the design? Say I make up a word and do the first letter as art and the rest plain text or maybe a short word and throw a little slogan at the bottom?

I'm gonna say no, and I think the rejectionator would agree with me. The idea is that the only text allowed needs to be made up of pictures. No typing allowed.

illuminator

mayokingcomics wrote:bah,..... im stumped already llo

Hey, I like your shirt store by the way... have been waiting for the return of the purple menace! :D

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
ansharp wrote:I'm gonna say no, and I think the rejectionator would agree with me. The idea is that the only text allowed needs to be made up of pictures. No typing allowed.

I would think if its incidental text that is hand drawn, then yes.. Just no typed fonts.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

So, this feels like the slogan derby part 2. Sort of.

ansharp

Patchitect wrote:I would think if its incidental text that is hand drawn, then yes.. Just no typed fonts.

take pictures and make words out of them.

Hand-drawn text is still just text, not pictures. Woot staff, can you back me up on this?

I really hope the rejectionator is bringing his A-game this week.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Andy47240 wrote:So, this feels like the slogan derby part 2. Sort of.

i don't think i'd want to draw an entire slogan of letters.. so i'm thinking a single word.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I think this could be good so long as recycled ideas aren't submitted. or the millions of people who thought their entries from the last derby worked for this one better.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

illuminator wrote:Is plain text allowed with the design? Say I make up a word and do the first letter as art and the rest plain text or maybe a short word and throw a little slogan at the bottom?

I agree with ansharp on this one. Methinks they mean it all has to be images, just like in derby 36 no non-text elements were allowed. In this case plain text should be rejected if they're calling this the opposite.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

mayokingcomics

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mayokingcomics
illuminator wrote:Hey, I like your shirt store by the way... have been waiting for the return of the purple menace! :D

thanks maybe some day ill be lucky enough to earn a bonified woot shirt :P

thanks for checking it out!

BK

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Andy47240 wrote:So, this feels like the slogan derby part 2. Sort of.

*shudders at the memory

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

Hows about ASCII art only hand drawn?

lareign

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lareign

This is going to require some major thinking outside the box-they all do to an extent, but this one especially.

Curious to see the next do-over derby. I think there should be one coming up this month, but I could be wrong.

And I just realized Text as Art was Derby #36, while reversing it to Art as Text is Derby #63. Coincidence?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

dekonstruct wrote:Hows about ASCII art only hand drawn?

ASCII art is typically a cluster of letters that makes a picture, which I think fits derby 36 better than this one.

dekonstruct

superspryte wrote:ASCII art is typically a cluster of letters that makes a picture, which I think fits derby 36 better than this one.

I was afraid of that.

dekonstruct

How strict on the text do you think they'll be, as an example i just sketched up:

Will it be ok with the claws coming off the N and S like that or does everything need to make sense with the text?

Also anyone think this is an idea worth persuing?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I gotta say I, along with others, am stumped. But I have some sketches I did for my portfolio a long time ago that might count.

EDIT: I'm thinkof of using software to make a photomosaic out of my previous derby derby entries that will spell a letter...

...perhaps a big W for woot
...perhaps use losing designs and make an L for LOSER.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dekonstruct wrote:How strict on the text do you think they'll be, as an example i just sketched up:

..monster..

Will it be ok with the claws coming off the N and S like that or does everything need to make sense with the text?

I don't think this would be acceptable, since it's essentially following the Alphabet derby rules (make something out of letters. They want a letter made of something else. IE- if you drew your thing as a straight monster next to another straight monster, and they both form the letter M...

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
dekonstruct wrote:How strict on the text do you think they'll be, as an example i just sketched up:

Dekon, I think that this isn't the intention. You are making text into a drawing, not a drawing into text.

dekonstruct

SkekTek wrote:I don't think this would be acceptable, since it's essentially following the Alphabet derby rules (make something out of letters. They want a letter made of something else. IE- if you drew your thing as a straight monster next to another straight monster, and they both form the letter M...

ooooooooh ok, now I get it. That is way easier. Thanks for clearing that up before I went and wasted my time.

thethatcher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thethatcher

my question would be are we allowed to have elements in the design which are not part of the text drawings? like, if I figured out a way to do "happy" with pictures, could I have a drawing separate of the text of a smiley face? or is this a picture text only derby?

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
thethatcher wrote:my question would be are we allowed to have elements in the design which are not part of the text drawings? like, if I figured out a way to do "happy" with pictures, could I have a drawing separate of the text of a smiley face? or is this a picture text only derby?

I'd rather be safe than sorry and say that any picture you have will need to make text...and any text you have will need to be made out of pictures.

They were pretty strict about this (opposite, of course) in the Text as Art derby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

illuminator

thethatcher wrote:my question would be are we allowed to have elements in the design which are not part of the text drawings? like, if I figured out a way to do "happy" with pictures, could I have a drawing separate of the text of a smiley face? or is this a picture text only derby?

you could have an exclamation point at the end of the word and make the dot into a smiley ;)

Andy47240

How about..........

Anything out of the rules with something like this??

ansharp

Andy47240 wrote:How about..........

Anything out of the rules with something like this??

Nothing against the rules here, but I'd check to make sure it hasn't been done already.

Andy47240

ansharp wrote:Nothing against the rules here, but I'd check to make sure it hasn't been done already.

Could be. I never checked. I will now though.

noisdois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

Does every single element in the design have to be a part of the text? For example, if I make “BATS” out of bats, could I add some extra bats here and there to kind of frame the text? Or does every single bat in the design have to be a part of the text?

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
dekonstruct wrote:I was afraid of that.

why not make up a group of pictures to create a word, same type of method, just backwards...like use the word space and make the work out of rocket ships or whatever..along those paths...this derby is something that will make us use both sides of our brains...that, i am not so sure I can do..we will see.

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Andy47240 wrote:Could be. I never checked. I will now though.

this idea could easily be changed into super star...and put little capes on the stars.. idea for your "Star" if it has been done before.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

noisdois wrote:Does every single element in the design have to be a part of the text? For example, if I make “BATS” out of bats, could I add some extra bats here and there to kind of frame the text? Or does every single bat in the design have to be a part of the text?

Assume yes until we hear otherwise.

Andy47240

ansharp wrote:Nothing against the rules here, but I'd check to make sure it hasn't been done already.

I don't see anything, but if someone knows of something like it, please let me know. Unless I think of something better, I will probably go with this or something very similar.