+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Some people accomplish marvelous feats of engineering and artistry in the pursuit of an amazing Halloween costume: cinema-grade fake armor, extra arms that actually move, that whole shower-curtain apparatus. Well, good for them. This week's Derby is for the rest of us, the ones who don't need the hassle of some elaborate getup but also don't need the hassle of people calling them out at Halloween parties for being the only person in street clothes. Create a shirt that serves as an easy Halloween costume, one you can pull on in two seconds but that also gives you plausible deniability against charges of not being dressed up.

Incidental text only. A nametag or logo is fine as one element of a larger design. "This Shirt Is My Pirate Costume" is not.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #65 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.You should also look at this help thread by tgentry.

This derby has an INCIDENTAL TEXT RULE. That means non-focal point text is allowed; no slogan shirts. If it's the main part of your design you may want to reconsider. The rule was created to allow things like numbers on a clock or text on signs. Ya know, incidental stuff. This rule is also called the STOP SIGN RULE.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

you know I really think this one can be fun.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

ChrisRisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse

this would be the perfect time to introduce a pink shirt for fairy costumes...

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
TAYLORT5 wrote:you know I really think this one can be fun.

Hope so!

cwarrington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

Derby artists don't fail me, I need a good shirt for my work's Halloween party...

TAYLORT5

TAYLORT5 wrote:you know I really think this one can be fun.

are they printing hoodies? isn't the mask the whole costume. 500 head-less horsemen?

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254

expect about 50 orange shirts with Jack-o-Lantern faces on them.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
ChrisRisse wrote:this would be the perfect time to introduce a pink shirt for fairy costumes...

...or purple.

*goes off looking for something clever*

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

MostBestestBuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MostBestestBuddy

this is challenging given the print area... I keep thinking of fake collars or objects that appear to go around the body. A costume comfined to a rectangle on one's chest hmm...

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

I'd like to do wings on the back, but I wonder how many people are already thinking of that...

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

TAYLORT5

I AM IRONMAN..... DUUonnnn DUUUUUUon,,,da da dadada dadadadadada da dadadaaaaaaaa.

You're on probation!

ansharp

sailormoontsu wrote:I'd like to do wings on the back, but I wonder how many people are already thinking of that...

I'd say about 60% as we've seen designs like that in several previous derbies.

MostBestestBuddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MostBestestBuddy
TAYLORT5 wrote:I AM IRONMAN..... DUUonnnn DUUUUUUon,,,da da dadada dadadadadada da dadadaaaaaaaa.

yea I thought of that, think it would look something like that powered by plutonium shirt

Maximillian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian

Radioactive person: x-ray of their insides for all the world to see...

ansharp

Maximillian wrote:Radioactive person: x-ray of their insides for all the world to see...

Too many similar shirts exist.

Gessepi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gessepi

hey someone should make an alien coming out of your stomach shirt, I'd do it but i cant draw realistically so it wouldn't look right. feel free to use the idea

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I'm a first timer here(and I've read the rules, official and unofficial!), but I've been watching for a little while so I hope this question isn't horribly idiotic...

Are we allowed to include the back of the t-shirt as well when designing?

I saw an earlier comment about fairy wings and how a lot of people had tried to incorporate that into designs in the past, but I've not seen those as I've only been watching this site casually for a couple of months..

ansharp

marzipanapple wrote:I'm a first timer here(and I've read the rules, official and unofficial!), but I've been watching for a while so I hope this question isn't horribly idiotic...

Are we allowed to include the back of the t-shirt as well when designing?

I saw an earlier comment about fairy wings and how a lot of people had tried to incorporate that into designs in the past, but I've not seen those as I've only been watching this site casually for a couple of months..

Woot will print on only one side of the shirt, but you can pick the front or the back. So far, though, no back print has ever won a derby or been printed.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
ansharp wrote:Woot will print on only one side of the shirt, but you can pick the front or the back. So far, though, no back print has ever won a derby or been printed.

Oh, thank you! I was wondering if it was both sides or just one or the other. I appreciate the help.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

TAYLORT5

ansharp wrote:Woot will print on only one side of the shirt, but you can pick the front or the back. So far, though, no back print has ever won a derby or been printed.

mainly because of their Size Requirements.

You're on probation!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

You know, I think I'm going to skip this one.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
theinfinityloop wrote:You know, I think I'm going to skip this one.

Ditto, unless something REALLY jumps out at me.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
sokowa wrote:Ditto, unless something REALLY jumps out at me.

Aww, we can't lose all of our good designers. That'll leave us with a bunch of shlock to try to choose from.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
sailormoontsu wrote:I'd like to do wings on the back, but I wonder how many people are already thinking of that...

I dunno, but I personally encourage it because even though wings-on-the-back designs have been submitted before, one has never won....and I really want one! l o l

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

TAYLORT5

SailorButterfly wrote:Aww, we can't lose all of our good designers. That'll leave us with a bunch of shlock to try to choose from.

they are bluffing.

You're on probation!

MrsPost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrsPost

I actually have an idea for this one! Time to pull out Ye Olde Graphics Program.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
SailorButterfly wrote:Aww, we can't lose all of our good designers. That'll leave us with a bunch of shlock to try to choose from.

Nice to know that if you aren't one of the usual five designers that wins every week you are considered shlocky. I love woot, but sometimes I feel like I'm back in middle school again.

sailormoontsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu

I've come up with another idea, so if I even have time to do one, I'm going to do it. If I have two, I'll take a stab at wings, too. But I doubt even the one will make it since I'm just as hectic this week as last week...

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

sokowa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
SailorButterfly wrote:I dunno, but I personally encourage it because even though wings-on-the-back designs have been submitted before, one has never won....and I really want one! l o l

Ya, I've seen a lot of wings on the back of shirts but I haven't seen any REALLY nice wings. It'll come down to the details for a design like this IMO

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
cmdixon2 wrote:Nice to know that if you aren't one of the usual five designers that wins every week you are considered shlocky. I love woot, but sometimes I feel like I'm back in middle school again.

Prove her wrong.

The fact is that there are designers that do great work most often, designers that do ok work most often, and designers that do horrible work most often, and the lower you go, the more designers fit the category. As such, many designers give us a lot of schlock. If people like Sokowa and Infinity seem to be praised as above it because of their names, it is because both have proven to the voter that they are above the masses skill-wise. It isn't to say everyone else is bad, but losing a couple good designers does open the floodgates for the worse ones to move up the ranks.

Add to that a very tacky theme, and I don't see an incorrect statement. Without good designers, popular or not, we will see PLENTY of schlock this week, and even with them, it'll be hard to get some seriously great content.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific

I'm doing this derby. Because I'm in love with Halloween. Also, I am a banana.

Iambusyeating

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating

Here's some shlock...

derekfilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Iambusyeating wrote:Here's some shlock...

Nice office reference. :-)

Check out my blog:Here!

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
ChrisRisse wrote:this would be the perfect time to introduce a pink shirt for fairy costumes...

I want a pink shirt for a Breast Cancer Awareness costume! All pink on Halloween! That's me!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
AdderXYU wrote:Prove her wrong.

The fact is that there are designers that do great work most often, designers that do ok work most often, and designers that do horrible work most often, and the lower you go, the more designers fit the category. As such, many designers give us a lot of schlock. If people like Sokowa and Infinity seem to be praised as above it because of their names, it is because both have proven to the voter that they are above the masses skill-wise. It isn't to say everyone else is bad, but losing a couple good designers does open the floodgates for the worse ones to move up the ranks.

Add to that a very tacky theme, and I don't see an incorrect statement. Without good designers, popular or not, we will see PLENTY of schlock this week, and even with them, it'll be hard to get some seriously great content.

I agree with you for the most part. The reason some designers are popular is because they are very consistent with submitting great work. True. I'm in no way trying to be catty or put any designers down. I buy a lot of these very creative and well done shirts after all. I just think that there are those out there who often look at the names of the designers first and then the design second and don't even bother with anybody else. And yes...there is a great deal of bad stuff out there. What I oppose is the very cliquey vibe that's out there at times. I just hope for people to be open-minded and set a better tone. There have been a lot of nasty comments and discussions lately and I hope to see a more positive vibe. And yes.....this is going to be a rough derby....

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Iambusyeating wrote:Here's some shlock...

Needs blue ruler lines