peppersagooddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
MrsNav wrote:Great idea! Too bad it was submitted so late. . .GMV, though

agreed

sfabro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfabro
MrsNav wrote:Great idea! Too bad it was submitted so late. . .GMV, though

Thanks!
i knew that i wouldnt have nearly enough time to catch up to the others, but i wanted to finish it and get it up here and see what people thought of it
maybe if i didnt waste my time on the other 3 designs i did, i might've actually had a chance. but its good just to get some work done and get some feedback.

great job!

Kuiosikle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kuiosikle
Re: Snowman

Already Got My Vote, now I wish it would just get back in The Fog!

Kuiosikle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kuiosikle
Re: You. Are. A pirate!

This is a great design and it fits the theme perfectly, I just wouldn't want to wear it, personally.

klawrence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: I need some fresh air

Really cute! I'm a sucker for owls. =P

klawrence

Re: TRICK or treat?

I love this. Great job!

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Grillz

I know Woot printed a wrap-around shirt as a daily pretty recently, but they don't allow it for the derbies. (I'm also not sure how this goes with the shirt-as-costume theme...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

osustunter08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osustunter08
Re: Wonderboy

I love The Natural. I read it twice. I actually lived two blocks away from the house in Corvallis where Bernard Malmud wrote the book. He was a professor at Oregon State when he was writing it. That being said, I don't feel like a ton of people will get the reference...but I like it.

bellyup13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellyup13
Re: Steampunk Robot

I wish this one would win dang it! its the best f-ing shirt so far! WHY OH WHY do the best shirts go unsung! great job!

Shigwarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
ISO30 wrote:Go Cowboys!

Oh my gosh! I didn't even realize the similarities until you said that!

ThaDuke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ThaDuke
Mancho wrote:Nice! Simple, but wonderfully detailed. Thought it was a Zelda reference when I saw the thumbnail, and wouldn't have voted for it. Zelda is pretty much played out. But the quality made me curious (and I couldn't remember anything about a harp in Zelda), so I checked out the comp. I love the design. Thanks TGentry.

BTW.. What's with the hating on TGentry. I doubt a significant percentage of voters actually participate in the threads or would know him from any other artist. People vote on what they like. It just so happens that TGentry is good at making shirts people like. I rarely know who the artist is for any design I vote for. I see what I like and vote for it.

Completely agree - fHalycon is an ass (and probably a little jealous) - honestly, I would make sure I didn't vote (even remove my vote) for someone's shirt if I saw them bashing another artists work without warrant

mamaGiraffe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamaGiraffe
Re: Fee! Fie! Foe! Fum!

The placement on a woman's shirt would be a little weird, but maybe Woot can adjust it for the woman's shirt when printing them.....I thought maybe at the bottom, still on the same side....that would be good. Anyway, still got my vote!

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Andy47240 wrote:Thanks for all of the votes everyone. I did a little research to see if there was one already, but I only found official full length costumes. Just goes to show how hard it is to come up with something completely original.

Regardless, you did an excellent job with this design. You should be proud of it.

mamaGiraffe

StewieGilligan wrote:I'm confused as to why this is doing so much better than the tetris pieces...

Because this makes the shirt the lego, the tetris pieces are just pieces on a shirt, not making the shirt the piece.

This is great! GMV

mamaGiraffe

Re: I have a long neck I am a giraffe!

You gotta know I'm a sucker for this one!

klawrence

Re: I ain't playin kid! (Re-Submission)

Sweet. Glad you resubmitted.

Twistedmonkey22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedmonkey22
Re: Grillz

i dont really see how this fits the theme either

impetus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages impetus

Re: Hero. Unplugged,

Looks great but the air guitar/Guitar Hero thing has definitely been done before:
http://62466.spreadshirt.net/en/EU/Shop/Article/Index/article/The-Hero-Guitar-6135604
http://www.likecool.com/Air_Guitar_Hero--Apparel--Style.html

ToddlyBumBum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToddlyBumBum

really like the cross hatching and frays around the heart, along with how it curls at the bottom, but would have really liked to see it placed off center
Keep up the good work

Kwatson29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=23623]

I guess no one gets this shirt as a joke, people must think it's just a cheerleading shirt...To bad they don't know the story behind it. It's a really funny shirt...Why not be George W. Bush in his prime when his leadership days were actually useful as a "yell leader"/ cheerleader for Halloween.

EvilJorel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilJorel

Have to agree, I would love this if it was only on the back

Re: I am a Confused Turtle

blammoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
lorceie wrote:I believe you'll appreciate this particular youtubeness: The Captain's Wife's Lament.

Ahahaha! that was WAY entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Jenna9797 wrote:Got My Vote! I just wish it was a long-sleeved shirt so there could be silk-screened "cuffs" with more of those buttons! And more lace, too!

I was thinking this might be cool to wear with a white cuffed shirt underneath... might give more of the look of a 17th/18th century pirate. While the idea IS to have a stand-alone shirt as a costume, I think a lot of the fun would be adding eye patch, hat and sword to the costume too. :]

Thanks again, and a LOT for voting my design into the fog everyone! I really hope it'll hold up.

Oh, and I request moar pirate links, something for me to do while the anxiety of the fog eats away the hours.

Yar har fiddle-de-dee!

blammoed

Re: Rock 'em Sock 'em Robot

Ahaha! This IS a great idea. I really like the details on the rockemsockem.

blammoed

Re: bounty hunter

Wow the scuff marks on this one look really neat. Looks great as a shirt.

blammoed

Re: Fish As Costume

This would be a great costume to wear and walk around making fish faces.

blammoed

Re: Stab Jacket

Ahhh nice and gorey. I approve. Really like the sword's handle too. I figured out shirtcomps aren't blurry if you submit a 600x600 design, don't know if that's what happened to yours but that was my issue for a while.. so thought I'd share. :]

ack154

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
aerodino wrote:This is truly artistic.

Srsly?

I mean, it's cool and all, but that comment comes off a bit fanboy-ish.

I like the "giant" shirt and can certainly see how it is in the fog... but this one just does not much of anything for me. I just don't understand how it's so high. I realize that most of the votes are likely legitimate, but I feel like the Derby voting is losing it's focus of "I'd Want One" as in... I would buy this. And is becoming more of "this is cool but I probably wouldn't buy it or wear it..."

Apologies for bringing any negativity into this, not my intention. Just saying...

woots: 36
shirts: 25
sellouts: 4
sports: 2

haydawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haydawn

very funny has my vote love the specs tucked into the bottom... I wouldn't buy one but I like it!.......good luck

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
blammoed wrote:Ahhh nice and gorey. I approve. Really like the sword's handle too. I figured out shirtcomps aren't blurry if you submit a 600x600 design, don't know if that's what happened to yours but that was my issue for a while.. so thought I'd share. :]

don't allow an compression of a jpg either. save it at the highest quality setting you have. also save the detail images at 240x240.

haydawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haydawn

be still my beating heart!
clever idea and well done!

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Human Black Hole

I did a human black hole back in the Trompe L'Oeil derby, and it was pretty successful, so I thought about redoing it for this derby. When I saw yours, I didn't bother because you executed the idea much better than I could have. I think this is a nice shirt, wearable as a costume and year-round. I think it'd be even better if the hole was smaller. I tend to think of imploding things as tiny.

Lots of nay-sayers this derby. I blame a weak theme. Hopefully next week will be both more interesting and more pleasant.

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

ack154 wrote:Srsly?

I mean, it's cool and all, but that comment comes off a bit fanboy-ish.

I like the "giant" shirt and can certainly see how it is in the fog... but this one just does not much of anything for me. I just don't understand how it's so high. I realize that most of the votes are likely legitimate, but I feel like the Derby voting is losing it's focus of "I'd Want One" as in... I would buy this. And is becoming more of "this is cool but I probably wouldn't buy it or wear it..."

Apologies for bringing any negativity into this, not my intention. Just saying...

I can only speak as to why I made this and what my intention was... I figured there would be a lot of shirts this derby that were well made and clever but could only be worn one day out of the year without feeling silly. Before I did either this one or the giant one I decided I would try to do designs that were wearable outside of Halloween. I personally think the votes this is getting is because it is wearable on a daily basis. I think a lot of the shirts this week are getting votes because the shirt is cool, not because they'd actually wear it to work or to the neighborhood BBQ. There's nothing wrong with that, I was just trying to offer up an alternative in hopes of standing out. No negativity was perceived either, it's a completely fair question.

EvilJorel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilJorel

I love it!! Perfectly inappropriate, Vote Vote Vote =D

Re: You're the BOMB!

Josephus

Andy47240 wrote:I like it. And, I really need to learn how to make my artwork flow with the shirt wrinkles like you have here. It looks great.

Using Photoshop or the like, make a greyscale version of the shaded background, and save it as a separate image.
Then take your design at the size it will end up and apply an effect to it using a bump map. It will move the design depending on how black the pixel is underneath it in the bumpmap (the greyscale shaded background).

Take that altered design and do a distortion of it using the displacement effect, with the same greyscale shadowed background as the loaded file in that case as well. voila! your design is now distorted as if it is a part fo the shirt behind it.

jschway901

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jschway901

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Xanzibar wrote:What is this actually supposed to be? Am i missing something here? Because it kinda reminds of something off tetris but im confused.

That's exactly what it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

Josephus

Re: domo kitten

Domo Kun is the hand of god.

rocknsupergurl83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocknsupergurl83
Re: Jack O' the Lantern

If you like the orange (or don't like it) check out the blue version I submitted...http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=23780

My 10 Most Recent Shirt.Woots: Epic Battle; Just a Little Paint; No one left to play with; Calorie Burning; Tar Pit Painting; Otterrifying; A Simple Question of Weight Ratios; Rock, Paper, Dragon; Pup In Training; Fresh Cake

rocknsupergurl83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocknsupergurl83
Re: Jack O' the Lantern Cold 'n Blue

If you like the blue (or don't like it), check out the orange original! http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=23633

My 10 Most Recent Shirt.Woots: Epic Battle; Just a Little Paint; No one left to play with; Calorie Burning; Tar Pit Painting; Otterrifying; A Simple Question of Weight Ratios; Rock, Paper, Dragon; Pup In Training; Fresh Cake

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ack154 wrote:
If you read the rules for the Derby you pointed to, they're slightly different than just "no incidental text" ...

Sounds a little more forgiving to me. And what you're pointing to seems to be allowed as it's no slogan and is part of the illustration. Just my opinion though...

Eh? The rules this week allow incidental text as well.

Incidental text only. A nametag or logo is fine as one element of a larger design. "This Shirt Is My Pirate Costume" is not.

So again, no slogan shirts, but text as part of a larger design would be ok. The question is, are speech balloons acceptable? Before the Emergency derby I would have guessed no, but dsladek's LARPing shirt made it through. That's why I think it strange that this design was rejected. But it's woot's call. Meh.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)