duhgonz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

Looks great!!! Kinda like "Army in My Pocket".The grandkid would love it!

duhgonz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Not So Quiet On The Western Front

I'm diggin' the bear kickin' ass. The army dude under the bears butt is cool.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: People of the Fireflies

Houma, welcome to woot and congrats on your novel design. I really like it.
Unfortunately, I could not see the detail until I put my head about 9 inches from my large monitor. Since I am female, I will be unable to buy this shirt when it prints, since I would be embarassed if anyone's head was that close to my breasts in a public setting.

I am sure that you will not resubmit this, since at this point in the derby it is nearly impossible to get start over and get back into the fog. (Youbetchucan made it into the fog in less than 2 days, though, fyi. I think starting on a Tuesday.) Hopefully, you will take all the info you learned in this thread and apply it to future designs in future derbies, with splendid results. Good luck!

septober

quality posts: 0 Private Messages septober
ansharp wrote:Wow, that's beautiful. I hope this shirt gets made just for you.

Thank you.

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: Seedling's got shade?

Critique and suggestions for improvement are appreciated

WWBD?

tbrcelee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: You are a Universe

New submission:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24720
As always, I would appreciate critique

WWBD?

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

Howdy Houmadesigns! Welcome!

I read this entire discussion, and couldn't help starting to hum, Guns and Roses "Welcome to the Jungle." You seem to be new, and what a way to enter the fray, huh? You saw the derby, made a great design, followed the color palettes as well as possible and trusted that they were what they appeared to be. Then your design did well and you started getting an entire slough of comments saying your design wouldn't print well, and some not so kind. You ask for proof, and nobody seems to have any of that, but they have plenty of insults. You're already annoyed, finally some people get back to you with some pictures, and you find that rather than being awful, it perhaps will even fit your purpose of subtlety. You dare to say as much, and more insults. Does that about sum it up? Ain't the derby grand?

As you stick around here (and I certainly hope you do), you will learn a lot of the players and their tendencies. Some of them are openly hostile, many are extremely negative, others will use your design as a perfect example of why Woot has gone down the tube...and others are kind and helpful. You'll learn who they are soon enough and attach names to those categories.

No designer survives on Woot without a tough skin, as the comments can be harsh. Notice the disclaimer right when you click on the Derby: "Think you can design a better shirt than the one up there? Enter our weekly shirt-off and let the community judge. Be warned: they’re a harsh judge indeed." They weren't playing with you.

Personally, I can see where you were coming from the whole time. Are these people really trying to help you? Are their concerns really justified? Do they really understand the entire point of what you were going for? Are they really comparing apples to apples? Personally, I think you're doing just fine "in the jungle."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #1: The design prints poorly. Aw, carp. You learn what colors don't print well on what colors. You apply this knowledge on your next design. You get paid $1000.

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #2: The design prints subtly, as you intended. Many people are thrilled to death, others decide that the print was poor, and wave their pointy fingers in triumph over you. You get over it quickly, because it turned out exactly as you intended. You get paid $1000, and a little extra from the people that see it print the way you intended and "get it."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #3: The design not only prints as intended, but well. Woot's printing abilities have progressed, and it comes out great. You get paid $1000, and get hundreds of extra sales in the coming weeks as the people that sat on the fence jump in.

In any of them, I think you end up the winner. The people who were rude and got on your case can do whatever they want, just do your thing, learn a lesson for next time if need be, develop some thick skin, and laugh all the way to the bank...then do it again in the coming weeks. Welcome HoumaDesigns!

partypope

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partypope

This shirt definitely gets my vote. Very Creative. The color fits perfectly.

Xzanthis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xzanthis
elpepe wrote:You would gotten more votes if you made the blue bee winning.

The thing is bee politics are really tricky, I don't want to offend either bee party or my house would of course be swarmed with angry bee protesters and I don't have one of those big white beekeeper suits to protect me!

lwoodnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
paulkremer wrote:Howdy Houmadesigns! Welcome!

I read this entire discussion, and couldn't help starting to hum, Guns and Roses "Welcome to the Jungle." You seem to be new, and what a way to enter the fray, huh? You saw the derby, made a great design, followed the color palettes as well as possible and trusted that they were what they appeared to be. Then your design did well and you started getting an entire slough of comments saying your design wouldn't print well, and some not so kind. You ask for proof, and nobody seems to have any of that, but they have plenty of insults. You're already annoyed, finally some people get back to you with some pictures, and you find that rather than being awful, it perhaps will even fit your purpose of subtlety. You dare to say as much, and more insults. Does that about sum it up? Ain't the derby grand?

As you stick around here (and I certainly hope you do), you will learn a lot of the players and their tendencies. Some of them are openly hostile, many are extremely negative, others will use your design as a perfect example of why Woot has gone down the tube...and others are kind and helpful. You'll learn who they are soon enough and attach names to those categories.

No designer survives on Woot without a tough skin, as the comments can be harsh. Notice the disclaimer right when you click on the Derby: "Think you can design a better shirt than the one up there? Enter our weekly shirt-off and let the community judge. Be warned: they’re a harsh judge indeed." They weren't playing with you.

Personally, I can see where you were coming from the whole time. Are these people really trying to help you? Are their concerns really justified? Do they really understand the entire point of what you were going for? Are they really comparing apples to apples? Personally, I think you're doing just fine "in the jungle."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #1: The design prints poorly. Aw, carp. You learn what colors don't print well on what colors. You apply this knowledge on your next design. You get paid $1000.

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #2: The design prints subtly, as you intended. Many people are thrilled to death, others decide that the print was poor, and wave their pointy fingers in triumph over you. You get over it quickly, because it turned out exactly as you intended. You get paid $1000, and a little extra from the people that see it print the way you intended and "get it."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #3: The design not only prints as intended, but well. Woot's printing abilities have progressed, and it comes out great. You get paid $1000, and get hundreds of extra sales in the coming weeks as the people that sat on the fence jump in.

In any of them, I think you end up the winner. The people who were rude and got on your case can do whatever they want, just do your thing, learn a lesson for next time if need be, develop some thick skin, and laugh all the way to the bank...then do it again in the coming weeks. Welcome HoumaDesigns!

If I've ever seen a post to end an online flame war, this is it.
You should consider becoming an Ambassador.
Next step, Palestine/Israel conflict, if you don't mind.

eghanning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eghanning
Re: Very Tiny People Make Our Candy.

So I really really want this shirt!

vdubtx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vdubtx
Re: Let it show, let it snow

Very Nice!!! I Like it.

paulkremer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

Of course, this is assuming it goes to print. I notice it just fell out of the fog. Designs bouncing in and out of the fog on Wednesday have a tough road ahead. Good luck Houma! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't place! Keep bringing us designs!

Murphly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Murphly

Got my vote, nicest of the moon concept ones (in my opinion)

parilous

quality posts: 1 Private Messages parilous
Re: Nanonauts

This will be the first woot shirt that I've bought for myself. Usually, they go to my 12-year old niece. Now, we'll have matching shirts... GMV!

moran31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31
IndependentVik wrote:I dig your use of perspective here. I'd feel like a poser wearing it, personally, b/c I don't play ball, but it's an interesting design.

Artistically, I like it! Nice drawing.

clivestaples7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clivestaples7
gjnance wrote:[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikmin]It's a cute design, unfortunately it's not really yours...

You honestly think nobody realizes that? It's a parody. They are intended to be Pikmin. It's a sort of "what if," where these little guys wouldn't stand a chance in our world of lawnmowers, big feet, and pesticides. Come on.

treebirdoctopus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus

Come on little penguin!! Hang in there buddy! Vote people!

forddj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forddj

I'm def in for at least two. Love this!

banananosedstooge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banananosedstooge
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the fuck is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a fucking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want. What the fuck is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

Look at the long ass responses some of you have about your theories - How misguidedly passionate must you be (and fucked up in the head) to come on here to argue your moot opinion anytime a shirt of mine does well? Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you fucking idiots talking shit about that? So lay that bullshit theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

And some good news for you? This shirt lost momentum yesterday, and with some of the new shirts rising fast, I would say this shirt doesn't stand a chance. Whoop dee fucking doo. This is why this site is so great, because there's such a short turnaround time. Don't win this week
? Try again next week. It's a fraking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced assholes, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. Fucking pussy.

..but how do you really feel?

bradyson

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
NonDescript wrote:i really like it. gmv

edit-
also, i like it on brown, so you do your thing man, dont let them tell you what to do, lmao.... srsly tho, i hope this shirt gets made. be it here or the next second chance derby, i'm looking forward to buying it

Much Thanks!!!

rachel1aaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: Lederhosen... Atack!

This is so cute, and I love cuckoo clocks! Nice job and gmv. :o)

kiwisdontbounce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiwisdontbounce

do you just click the picture to vote??

moran31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31
Re: I'm Your Tiny Surfer

I dont know why, there are designs that are ahead of this one. Oh well, great design, I would wear this. Nicely done

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
AdderXYU wrote:No. One entry is an anomaly. It could happen to anyone.

Entire months, on the other hand, should be looked at more skeptically.

...or it could be that the majority voters discount your opinion after months of negative, destructive, and annoyingly insulting commentary?

Perhaps.

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Chinese in Fine China

I Love It!

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
banananosedstooge wrote:..but how do you really feel?

Yeah.. I'm taking my vote back after that tirade.

Ashleyrah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ashleyrah

I particularly like the light of the candle. Well done!

Tyler1986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyler1986

Awesome Shirt

lwoodnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
gjnance wrote:It's a cute design, unfortunately it's not really yours...

Looks like someone found their way out of the tool-box.

I can feel pretty confident saying this artist fully expected everyone to recognize it as a parody, as most people would and do.

Being stupid is a cute design, but unfortunately, it's not really yours.
Try something original next time.

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
caseadey wrote:Wow this reminds me of the whole alien mess a few weeks ago. Please learn how to take the comments and not get so offended. If people like they will vote for it, end of story. The attitude in the post almost make me not to want to vote for it.

You're taking things too seriously. houma's comment cracked me up and pointed out how completely ridiculous it was that someone was talking to him in all-caps about a topic that almost everybody except eHalycon was blowing way out of proportion.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Nanonauts

I have not said this of any design in a long time, but travis, if you win, I am IN FOR TWO baby!

Kicking myself for not thinking of anything remotely this cool...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
moran31 wrote:I dont know why, there are designs that are ahead of this one. Oh well, great design, I would wear this. Nicely done

Thanks moran! Sometimes simplicity doesn't win derbies. I guess that's why it's sitting where it is. Thanks for the vote though, I really appreciate it!

IndependentVik

Shadowflit wrote:I wouldn't consider buying any of the three shirts linked - I didn't even look at their price, I just don't like the designs. kdeuce's shirt, however, I would consider buying. Why should someone withdraw their submission just because 'similar shirts exist'? Unless the design was clearly ripped, rather than the inspiration, there's nothing wrong. Almost all ideas are combinations and improvements over previous ones anyway.

Thanks for being civil in your reply. So few people are about this topic.

After reading your reply, and the comments of a few others, I've revised my opinion. kdeuce shouldn't have to withdraw, but woot should do the right thing and reject it. If they axed the elephant and red balloon (where the execution was quite different from the existing shirt), then I feel they should do the same here. Inconsistent enforcement of the rules is annoying, especially when you get the sense that the only reason this isn't being rejected is that it will probably sell really well.

IndependentVik

lwoodnj wrote:Being stupid is a cute design, but unfortunately, it's not really yours.
Try something original next time.

pwned

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
lindseec wrote:Hmmm.....another great creation!
How about a giant tick with monkeys crawling all over it???
Brings the quote "A monkey on your back" into a whole new light.
Hee Hee.
Great job, Drew. Keep it up!! =D

Great concept, and executed so well!

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
kiwisdontbounce wrote:do you just click the picture to vote??

Nope. Just click the "I'd Want One!" link above the image.

ffighterjesse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ffighterjesse
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

COOL SHIRT BUT THE ERASER KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A FLOWER

kdeuce

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
kbgmaslow wrote:The illustration reminds me of 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' ... Beautifully done!

taww... thanks man. Shel Silverstein is one of my heroes. : ]