Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar
Re: He Who Controls The Sugar

llo. Awesome shirt.

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

bryozoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
tgentry wrote:I'd also add that designers don't have to do 'epics' every time out. I know personally it can be frustrating to just want to do something simple and fun and then get complaints about how it isn't up to snuff with your usual work, when in fact there's really nothing wrong with it.

I would also add to this that sometimes the simple but clear designs are also the great ones that work on the medium in question (**on a t-shirt*).

This is not the WIP forum on cgtalk, it is a t-shirt site. The art goes on t-shirts and is sumbitted for that purpose, not to be insulted by your average user, especially impolitely. (Frankly, it is a little pitiful to see someone who has no entries or never places in the top ten to be as consistantly insulting to the artists and voters as they are. I mean, what is the point?)

Of the 30+ different wootshirts I own, my most frequently admired are the ones with simple, clear, and well-executed designs. The same ones that are most often derided by the most negative posters on this site (Adder, for the loudest example)

Examples of clear, frequently complimented, simple and well-executed (and popular) designs include: Angry Day, 1986 (Zelda), Grow, Cake, Maple Leaf, KTHNXBIA!, etc... At least two of which got ridden in their derby by commenters as "bad" / overly simple shirts.

I vote and purchase based on if the design should be on a t-shirt. Many of the most frequently insulted artists (Cho, tgentry) are also the ones who understand the medium in question, and work to push the edges to new and interesting ideas.

Oh, and simply, designers leave if they get insulted to the degree that they do on this site by folks who have no manners whatsoever. We have already lost old derby winners (and printed entries) already, like fan-favorite Jimiyo (and Cho for a while), who got printed but moved to other less fan aggressive t-shirt sites.

Think before you post, and ask if you want the community to be toxic.

byrbwr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

there are waaay too many comments on this design. i mean, it's not even drawn by jamescho.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
byrbwr wrote:there are waaay too many comments on this design. i mean, it's not even drawn by jamescho.

;^)

kixalot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kixalot
Re: Big Money

Thanks for the comments. I wish I would have thought of it sooner to submit it earlier.

Kidgoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kidgoldstein

Ansharp... I was hoping derby 69 was sexier. But alas... sigh

<insert something witty>

moran31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31
Re: Don't step on Dino

I did the same thing, mine is 'bald dude", but anyways nicely done, looks good

12sunflowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

cute- but didn't vote for it. if it does win, i'll buy one for my nieces though

Twistedmonkey22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedmonkey22
Re: Electro-Highway

very cool design, GMV!! keep up the good work

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Xzanthis wrote:The thing is bee politics are really tricky, I don't want to offend either bee party or my house would of course be swarmed with angry bee protesters and I don't have one of those big white beekeeper suits to protect me!

He correct, my swarm damn near imploaded on it self 4 years ago... biparticanship does not go far in the bee world. Thank the bee gods that a third party candidate flew in at the last second.

lkackman

Xzanthis wrote:The thing is bee politics are really tricky, I don't want to offend either bee party or my house would of course be swarmed with angry bee protesters and I don't have one of those big white beekeeper suits to protect me!

He correct, my swarm damn near imploaded on it self 4 years ago... biparticanship does not go far in the bee world. Thank the bee gods that a third party candidate flew in at the last second.

lkackman

Hes correct, my swarm damn near imploaded on it self 4 years ago... biparticanship does not go far in the bee world. Thank the bee gods that a third party candidate flew in at the last second.

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
DavidShenoda wrote:I think the all just need hugs!

If your ever in Austin, Texas, feel free to look me up. I give them away for FREE.

Shout-out, Houston! My problem is, I can't seem to even give them away. l o l

Adamk456

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adamk456
terraguy wrote:Heh, I like the concept. GMV.

And I see it's an oxygen atom with a (supposedly) +2 charge (if we assume 2 electrons are driving along every path).

And a very rare isotope at that, having no neutrons. ;)

TheIginator

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheIginator
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24654]Out of the Bottle

:0
this is great
it's got my vote and i do think it'd make an awesome shirt
most comments on a shirt ive ever seen

Yasper25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yasper25

This is one of my favorites in this Derby. I voted for it, but alas, it doesn't appear as though I'll be able to own this one.
Be that as it may, a job very well done, Arcsus, and congratulations on being in the top ten! And since you said you're a newbie, welcome!

JustJiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles

But in the bee world does blue represent democrats? If so, GO BLUE BEE!

You would think they would bee (Har Har) evolved enough to have 5 or 6 political parties.

bduboftexas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduboftexas
SydneyB wrote:Awwwww!! This is adorable! Is Teddy sucking his thumb?

I think Teddy is eating his brains.

thatrobert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
12sunflowers wrote:cute- but didn't vote for it. if it does win, i'll buy one for my nieces though

You ought to vote for it then. If you'd buy it if it won, then it deserves your vote.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
kbgmaslow wrote:The illustration reminds me of 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' ... Beautifully done!

I have the Shel books (most anyway) and I disagree. Shel had more of a pointillism style to the drawings, not the swishy lines kdeuce uses.

If there was a comparable artist who has drawn similar to Shel in the derbies, I think Cho would have to win that styling.

appsaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages appsaz
Re: The Dandy Lion

I really appreciate this design and it really bugs me that people have to be so critical of something that is a good piece of work. There will always be trends in voting funny thats called "style" "fashion" People will wear anything... if its cool at the time. Great work to the artist and stop talkin smack about trends. thoes talkin have probably followed a fad just like the rest of us.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
Re: Confined

Yasper25 wrote:This is one of my favorites in this Derby. I voted for it, but alas, it doesn't appear as though I'll be able to own this one.
Be that as it may, a job very well done, Arcsus, and congratulations on being in the top ten! And since you said you're a newbie, welcome!

Thanks Yasper. I'm thrilled it did so well in the midst of some extraordinarily tough competition in this derby. I worry it was a fluke, but I can't wait to try again! It's been at least eight years since I've used Illustrator and lots of things have changed, so I'm learning. Thanks everyone for the comments/suggestions - good and bad.

BootsBoots

tbrcelee wrote:Thanks, Boots. Do you recommend using a graphics pad? I've never worked with one, but one of my friends has and he tells me that it's easier for him to work with than sketching and scanning.

What are some things I could improve with this design?

I'll be sure to ask for advice/help from you in the near future.

I use a wacom cintiq tablet. It lets you draw right on the screen and it's AMAZING (but expensive). I could never really get into using the other graphics pads. There was too much disconnect between my hand and the screen, if you know what I mean. But, I think if you can get used to it, that's the way to go.

Let's see... to improve on this design... I think the main problem with it is that it doesn't look very clean. I mean, the line edges aren't very smooth and it looks a little cut and paste-y. Unclean lines can work, I think, if you have that hand drawn look, but the style of this one seems to be very exact and obviously graphics-program-made. Does that make sense? I think it would be better if you went one way or the other way with it.

I still think it was a really good idea for a design, though.

BootsBoots

Re: Seedling's got shade?

Hey! I like this one a lot more than your other one. This is more the hand drawn feel I was talking about. This one seems like a really good start. Did you experiment with adding color at all? I really like the style you're going for on this one, although the IDEA behind your other one I like more. Ahhh well. Keep at it! I'll look to see what you come up with next derby.

P.S. I posted a response on your other design, too

D1C0M

quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Re: Organisms On My Shirt

Good idea for this one.

BTW, I have to admit that at first glance, I read the title wrong.

Kronos43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kronos43
Re: The Dandy Lion

Awesome! GMV!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kbgmaslow wrote:The illustration reminds me of 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' ... Beautifully done!

This comment proves why you people are so wrong.

Ovaltina, my goat SAY NO TO SCURVY REMINDS ME OF SAVADOR DALI!!!!!

DONT LET CAKE RECKON! IT IS A VERITABLE PICASSO!!!!

This is nothing like Shel's work. It is covered with useless spatter, the dandelion and its seeds look like they came from wegotsomestockflowers.com, and it has no discernible style. This is where you go from having a weak opinion to being flat out wrong.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
thatrobert wrote:

thanks thatrobert!

badTchap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badTchap
lizc wrote:Is that Zach Galifianakis from the Absolut ad campaign?

#1 - A Vodka Movie by Zach Galifianakis, Tim and Eric - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0QtJMKt1s

#2 - A Vodka Movie (Part 2) by Zach Galifianakis, Tim and Eric - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EQcvKCFFW4

#3 - A Vodka Movie (Part 3) by Zach Galifianakis, Tim and Eric - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6LAT-FqxU

HA! Too funny. I see the resemblance!