AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Xzanthis wrote:Thanks, glad you like it. I think I could have made the composition a little more shirt friendly. It works as a prtin a lot better than a shirt. I also could have made it "Squidlection" I suppose! But live and learn I guess. Thanks for your support!

Bees make much more sense. Colonies and all. But you knew that, I'm sure, when you brainstormed this.

As for "shirt friendly," I have some suggestions: You Have Been Blogged.

prateeko

quality posts: 70 Private Messages prateeko
lwoodnj wrote:Who cares?
No one. No one cares about your idea, and no one thinks it's cleverer, and trust me, NO ONE would prefer to have you designing this shirt.

That might be the worst reason ever to put something in the center of something else.

- "Hey, why does your shirt look like carp?"
- "Oh, because genetics are central to our development and biology so I had to put it here."
- "Oh...that's really, really stupid."

We all appreciate your input.

New and rude, what a combo!

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode
Re: Let it show, let it snow

Ow, just my luck! I will try again next time

Thanks for all your votes

lwoodnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
prateeko wrote:New and rude, what a combo!

Oh, I didn't realize you were one of the wise elders of Woot. That, of course, makes your opinion on the placement of the art on the shirt completely justified, because whether or not it's a terrible idea matters far less than how much of your self-esteem is invested in the Woot community. Don't try to under cut my opinion on something to which time spent on this site has no relevance by bringing up issues of "new and old" members. I think your comment was ridiculous and, at the least, borderline rude. No one needs to hear backhanded compliments criticizing their choices, and certainly they don't need to hear further WHY you think they're wrong, while you pretend to just be voicing an opinion on it.

Old and arrogant, what a combo!

Have a nice day!

prateeko

lwoodnj wrote:Oh, I didn't realize you were one of the wise elders of Woot. That, of course, makes your opinion on the placement of the art on the shirt completely justified, because whether or not it's a terrible idea matters far less than how much of your self-esteem is invested in the Woot community. Don't try to under cut my opinion on something to which time spent on this site has no relevance by bringing up issues of "new and old" members. I think your comment was ridiculous and, at the least, borderline rude. No one needs to hear backhanded compliments criticizing their choices, and certainly they don't need to hear further WHY you think they're wrong, while you pretend to just be voicing an opinion on it.

Old and arrogant, what a combo!

Have a nice day!

Time invested in woot? I've purchased 4 items across all woot sites and barely have more posts than you. Clearly my investment and self-worth derived from woot is huge. Your opinion was more of an unnecessary rude comment than anything and I responded by being blunt and sarcastic. No arrogance (or age since you have no idea how old I am and I don't use woot much) is involved.

I love the shirt idea and didn't give a backhanded criticism (I asked the designer a legit question and he answered - let's ask him if he was offended by anything I said since his opinion is the one that really matters). Not sure why you're coming on just to flame me and tell me my legitimate question and suggestion (the audacity of suggesting how a design element could be different!) is anything but constructive criticism. It's a forum and discussion about the design. It's where questions, suggestions, and opinions are voiced. Surprisingly enough, we all don't agree or may have different opinions as to what the best way a shirt/design could go. Doesn't mean we can come on and be asses to each other because we disagree with other choices (this part's related to your initial attack at me).

But whatever, sometimes I guess the phrase "obvious troll is obvious" holds very true.

(And thank you, I will have a nice day and a nice night when I buy this shirt!)

lwoodnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
prateeko wrote:Time invested in woot? I've purchased 4 items across all woot sites and barely have more posts than you. Clearly my investment and self-worth derived from woot is huge. Your opinion was more of an unnecessary rude comment than anything and I responded by being blunt and sarcastic. No arrogance (or age since you have no idea how old I am and I don't use woot much) is involved.

I love the shirt idea and didn't give a backhanded criticism (I asked the designer a legit question and he answered - let's ask him if he was offended by anything I said since his opinion is the one that really matters). Not sure why you're coming on just to flame me and tell me my legitimate question and suggestion (the audacity of suggesting how a design element could be different!) is anything but constructive criticism. It's a forum and discussion about the design. It's where questions, suggestions, and opinions are voiced. Surprisingly enough, we all don't agree or may have different opinions as to what the best way a shirt/design could go. Doesn't mean we can come on and be asses to each other because we disagree with other choices (this part's related to your initial attack at me).

But whatever, sometimes I guess the phrase "obvious troll is obvious" holds very true.

(And thank you, I will have a nice day and a nice night when I buy this shirt!)

I'm going to say you handled me well there, came off looking good.
In the same vein of honesty, I stand behind my original statements, still.
But honesty is my MO, and credit where credit is due: You could have collapsed like a dying star, but I think we'd all agree you did not.

I'll continue to defend the artists who will look like dicks if they reply harshly to dumb commentary though. Until I get bored. Which could be tomorrow.

Enjoy.

prateeko

lwoodnj wrote:I'm going to say you handled me well there, came off looking good.
In the same vein of honesty, I stand behind my original statements, still.
But honesty is my MO, and credit where credit is due: You could have collapsed like a dying star, but I think we'd all agree you did not.

I'll continue to defend the artists who will look like dicks if they reply harshly to dumb commentary though. Until I get bored. Which could be tomorrow.

Enjoy.

Defend the artists against people like me? I love this design and said so to the designer. I asked him why he didn't center it because that's what I would have done (imagine I being bolded, not sure how to do that on Woot). I'm used to centered designs and the symbolism of DNA being central to life is the other reason I would have done it had I designed the shirt.

Obviously, I still love the design and the design choice was the artists (and explained by him). I'm all for defending artists (or better yet letting them speak freely without losing votes because people think they're mean) but it really seems to me you targeted me without real cause since I'm not attacking the design(er)...

Hell, I'm checking back at 1 (EST) because I want this shirt and I think it's going to sell out, which should tell you how I feel about it.

southpawpower5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages southpawpower5
Re: They Tried To Run But Had No Legs -orange indécise

Amazing! My mom collects the Fisher Price Little People depicted on this shirt, and I know she'd go nuts if I bought her one :D

AllenAames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AllenAames
Re: Jacuzzeggs

This is excellent!

LeetRantipole

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LeetRantipole

Darn. I hope you're at least an honorable mention. I really wanted to buy one. Good luck!

AllenAames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AllenAames
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24647]The Ant

missed voting on this, it's awesome!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Jacuzzeggs

Thanks for the support everyone!

AdderXYU: Thanks for the kind blog write-up, I appreciate it.

fjc3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjc3

i woulda bought this!

SydneyB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
kamz wrote:.Tthe inspiration for the piece came from watching my daughter, she was riding on her very tiny stuffed owl & ordering it to fly her off to her grannys-seemed aaawwww so cute.

Aww, that *IS* cute!! (Unless you tell me she is 23......)

Keep submitting! We're looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future!!

-Syd

jacobwratten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobwratten

great design really love it

prateeko

lwoodnj wrote:
Enjoy.

I did, two of them (apparently before anyone else!)

"Nanonauts
ongoing sale: 7265 (live in 23h 54m)
Current numbers (updated each minute):

First sucker: prateeko
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.687s"

:D

Uraha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uraha

Seeing this shirt makes me sad I didn't vote at all this Derby... Hope it wins 2nd or 3rd D:

n7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n7

lololololol winners

cessenma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cessenma
Re: CMYK of the brain

I want this... it makes me smile.

fyrefly58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefly58
Re: The Dandy Lion

Very similar to a threadless shirt although there are differences.
http://www.threadless.com/product/1083/Let_s_Go_Parasoling

fungalgrowth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fungalgrowth
garot wrote:Hey numnuts, if you could actually draw you might even be worth listening to.

Until then: S.T.F.U

k thx

You just resorted to one of the worst argument tactics ever.

Scotty1time

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scotty1time
SydneyB wrote:I don't get this design.

Is a bingo basket being spun, and a slip with the word Greece printed on it being pulled out, and given to the first person in line, who happens to be Zeus?
Any why is Merlin 2nd in line?
I am confused.

I'm pretty sure its different gods being assigned random areas to rule.

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 44 Private Messages RobinBobcat

[quote]Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24665]People of the Fireflies

You know.. If I got this, I'd have to hit the white bits with some hi-grade blue GITD paint I've got..

Seriously, if there's a shirt that needs GITD paint, this would be it.

Come to think of it, that would make for a *very* nifty Derby: Glow In The Dark, where they would spring for the extra cost for the glow paint, and amazing things would happen..

Meow

Go Squarryls!

AdderXYU

fungalgrowth wrote:You just resorted to one of the worst argument tactics ever.

Woot: Where people who can only marginally draw cannot critique people that also only marginally can draw, as dictated by people who cannot draw at all.

wickman76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wickman76

This shirt is awesome! I want one! I love the snowflake shadow at the penguin's feet.

Re: Let it show, let it snow

anasaid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anasaid

I love it!

Why's everybody hatin' on pocket shirts? Sure, if they're a male design, then they're male. But this one is great! Look at the face on that dinosaur. Priceless.

hepafleb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hepafleb

pocket dinosaur : I want one now =( when can we get this, monday?

sirrix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sirrix
ansharp wrote:At threadless alone, there are several examples of this exact idea. Here are a few:

Let's Go Parasoling
Supercalidandelion
Dandelion Riders

Sure, the last two were never printed, but the artists still own the rights to the designs and could sue for plagiarism. Not to mention, I'm sure I've seen other design like this elsewhere.

Umm... I'm an attorney. Allow me to educate you a little: (1) You can't sue anyone for "plagiarism." (2) When you submit designs to sites like this you lose all rights to them. If anything, Woot could sue (but then probably only if they had printed it, which you admit 2 of them didn't.) (3) The fact that there are 4 other shirts in this thread that are similar in nature all designed by different people pretty much means that the idea is a common idea, which makes it not protectable by intellectual property laws like copyright. (4) You're an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES! who searches for t-shirts involving people traveling on dandelions which quite possibly makes you a homosexual.

christyd333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christyd333
Re: The Grinch

I like it as is, I'll buy it!!!

mscalpon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscalpon

AdderXYU

sirrix wrote:Umm... I'm an attorney. Allow me to educate you a little: (1) You can't sue anyone for "plagiarism." (2) When you submit designs to sites like this you lose all rights to them. If anything, Woot could sue (but then probably only if they had printed it, which you admit 2 of them didn't.) (3) The fact that there are 4 other shirts in this thread that are similar in nature all designed by different people pretty much means that the idea is a common idea, which makes it not protectable by intellectual property laws like copyright. (4) You're an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES! who searches for t-shirts involving people traveling on dandelions which quite possibly makes you a homosexual.

1) you most certainly can. People have sued God. I'd argue you could also win such a suit, but no matter.

2) when you WIN at one of these sites you lose all print rights to the design (unless the site says otherwise, which some do). If you do not win, you regain all your rights eventually. Woot wouldn't sue in this case, since woot is printing the piece which is too close for copyright comfort, but Threadless certainly could, and as the artist, the person who designed the first could approach Threadless to sue for them... they make money off Threadless' sales, in the form of possible reprints.

3) So I can have four friends rewrite The Shining, and then my re-write will be considered too common an idea for King to sue me? Awesome! I'm no lawyer, but comments like this make me wonder if you are either.

4) I presume aggravated insult is not legally punishable either, wise law guru? Not to mention a number of people mentioned the similarities. It was obvious enough to multiple people, who are also apparently all homosexual. But hey, I can see why you'd be upset at people caring about contracts, copyright, and other legal matters, since people clearly call more experienced and intelligent attorneys for those cases.

alwayzandyz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alwayzandyz
Re: Forest Fairy

I LOVE this shirt and would buy it as soon as it came up on shirt.woot!

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
AdderXYU wrote:1) you most certainly can. People have sued God. I'd argue you could also win such a suit, but no matter.

2) when you WIN at one of these sites you lose all print rights to the design (unless the site says otherwise, which some do). If you do not win, you regain all your rights eventually. Woot wouldn't sue in this case, since woot is printing the piece which is too close for copyright comfort, but Threadless certainly could, and as the artist, the person who designed the first could approach Threadless to sue for them... they make money off Threadless' sales, in the form of possible reprints.

3) So I can have four friends rewrite The Shining, and then my re-write will be considered too common an idea for King to sue me? Awesome! I'm no lawyer, but comments like this make me wonder if you are either.

4) I presume aggravated insult is not legally punishable either, wise law guru? Not to mention a number of people mentioned the similarities. It was obvious enough to multiple people, who are also apparently all homosexual. But hey, I can see why you'd be upset at people caring about contracts, copyright, and other legal matters, since people clearly call more experienced and intelligent attorneys for those cases.

1) by definition plagiarism applies to literary works.

2) you cannot copyright an idea, only your execution of it.

3) comparing apples to oranges. now, if four people copied a Rembrandt and signed his name to it they'd be guilty of forgery, but if they signed their own they would not.

4) while i wasn't a big fan of this design and felt it should have been rejected under the "similar shirts exist" rule, there's nothing illegal about it.

alazypersian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alazypersian
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

how can i vote for this?

alazypersian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alazypersian
Re: Confined

i like. how do i vote?

poohcrackers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poohcrackers
wickman76 wrote:This shirt is awesome! I want one! I love the snowflake shadow at the penguin's feet.

I would definitely buy one of these as well!! Totally awesome!!

btw..how do i vote for this?

DaSwish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaSwish
AllenAames wrote:missed voting on this, it's awesome!

As did I. This shirt should have done way better than 15th; it's very nicely done.

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
sirrix wrote:Umm... I'm an attorney. Allow me to educate you a little: (1) You can't sue anyone for "plagiarism." (2) When you submit designs to sites like this you lose all rights to them. If anything, Woot could sue (but then probably only if they had printed it, which you admit 2 of them didn't.) (3) The fact that there are 4 other shirts in this thread that are similar in nature all designed by different people pretty much means that the idea is a common idea, which makes it not protectable by intellectual property laws like copyright. (4) You're an WAFFLES! TASTY WAFFLES! who searches for t-shirts involving people traveling on dandelions which quite possibly makes you a homosexual.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I love that being an ass also means I'm gay. And what if I am gay? I wish I were, so that this would be even MORE hilarious.

Seriously, I was trying to be helpful, as usual. I knew I had seen other examples of this concept the moment it was entered. As soon as I had a chance, I looked for them. It took 2 minutes to find those examples on threadless. I posted my opinion of the design, not the designer, and this is the way I'm treated. Ah, the internet! How I love thee!

itsbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth
krouth wrote:I am so glad that are on this site to continuously point out to us 'ignorant' wooters what true tee-shirt art is all about. You are a shining beacon of hope, showing the poor misguided rabble here at Woot what true tee-shirt artistry is all about. Please forgive all of the many misguided fools who voted for shirts that you didn't like. Anyone who created something as beautiful as this is truly a tee-shirt master.

A point: you has it.

dartstothesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dartstothesea
Re: The Dandy Lion

Dang, i love this!