+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

This week, you're not allowed to lift your metaphorical pen off your figurative paper. Show us what you can do with one unbroken line. The subject matter is entirely up to you (within our usual Derby rules), but you have to follow these rules:

Everything in your design should be part of the same continuous line. We should only be able to see two ends to your line. Any other line endings sticking out somewhere will be cause for rejection. And no autonomous little design elements away from the main one. Your continuous line should render everything on the shirt.

No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself.

One color only. No changing the color mid-line or using gradients.

Text is permitted as long as the treatment meets all the rules above. If you can draw text with one unbroken line with no retracing, knock yourself out.

Moderating this Derby might involve some judgment calls on our part, so if your design even comes close to breaking any of these rules, back away or risk rejection.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

The Derby #74 Cyberpub. If we're not chillin' around here, check over there. All are welcome.

First time here? Want to submit an entry and maybe forgot something? Think you're good to go? Read these rules for rejection compiled by derekfilley anyway.You should also look at this help thread by tgentry.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

Ooo, this was one of my favorite exercises in class.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Uh...really? I am going to have serious serious problems with this one, if I even try it at all. We'll just have to see. Very intersting though, this might be exciting

sekiyoku

quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

Wow, this sounds like a lot of fun. :D

breckenedge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breckenedge

Can a line return to itself, like the infinity symbol, and thus not have a true ending?

Heh didn't read close enough, seems like this isn't allowed.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Woohoo! Already have a design I've been working on for some time!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Here we go! A challenge! Great theme.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

intriguing.

Xanzibar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xanzibar

ooh a challenge!!
Now, to come up with something so diabolically awesome it will blow your mind.
This could take a while...

What is this?
http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=1590902

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
breckenedge wrote:Can a line return to itself, like the infinity symbol, and thus not have a true ending?

Heh didn't read close enough, seems like this isn't allowed.

I don't know... I read it and I think it's ok. Your situation would mean 0 endings. I think they just gave an upper bound of 2. Clarification would be nice though.

The line is allowed to cross itself, right?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
eHalcyon wrote:

That's my only question, too. Interesting theme, though.

bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
eHalcyon wrote:I don't know... I read it and I think it's ok. Your situation would mean 0 endings. I think they just gave an upper bound of 2. Clarification would be nice though.

Yes, a line is allowed to cross itself. No, you can't have 0 endings. They want 2 specifically. An infinity symbol would not show 2 endings, and it would also show a line laying on top of another line, since the line has no discernible length.

sekiyoku

Oh, I assume variation in line width is not allowed, but just asking to clarify?

Psystal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Psystal

Wow...this is going to be an interesting challenge...I'm really looking forward to the entires this week!

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
sekiyoku wrote:Oh, I assume variation in line width is not allowed, but just asking to clarify?

Why wouldn't it be allowed? Some lines are a little chubby in the middle, don't discriminate :3

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bluchez wrote:Yes, a line is allowed to cross itself. No, you can't have 0 endings. They want 2 specifically. An infinity symbol would not show 2 endings, and it would also show a line laying on top of another line, since the line has no discernible length.

sure it has discernible length. infinity has unending length, but the symbol certainly has measurable length.

sekiyoku

Zenne wrote:Why wouldn't it be allowed? Some lines are a little chubby in the middle, don't discriminate :3

I don't know, I would think this would be considered "retracing the same path" since you could use thicker parts of the line to act as "filling in".

An official word would be nice.

bluchez

Josephus wrote:sure it has discernible length. infinity has unending length, but the symbol certainly has measurable length.

It could be any length of line, since there is no ending. It could be overlapped onto itself from 0 to infinity times.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Josephus wrote:sure it has discernible length. infinity has unending length, but the symbol certainly has measurable length.

bluchez wrote:It could be any length of line, since there is no ending. It could be overlapped onto itself from 0 to infinity times.

Yeah, I still think something like infinity would be acceptable. You can pick one point and call it both the beginning and the end of the line. Because you COULD draw it in one continuous line WITHOUT overlap is enough, I think. It doesn't have to have overlaps.

Might be best to avoid it anyway, just in case. Or leave a small gap?

Time for me to go on a public transportation adventure! Will think about this derby in the meanwhile. Looking forward to seeing some crazy entries!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bluchez

sekiyoku wrote:I don't know, I would think this would be considered "retracing the same path" since you could use thicker parts of the line to act as "filling in".

An official word would be nice.

official: it's allowed.

ReflectiveRobot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ReflectiveRobot
sekiyoku wrote:Oh, I assume variation in line width is not allowed, but just asking to clarify?

I hope a small amount of variation is ok. ...or else time to turn off pressure sensitivity. Things might end up looking slightly stale.

fofmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock

so would something like this be ok? or would that be considered going back on itself?

ansharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
artulo wrote:Here we go! A challenge! Great theme.

Given your past designs, I'm expecting you to knock our socks off. (No pressure.) :P

I like this theme, but we'll see if I have time to enter anything.

j0naht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0naht

Isn't that what an etchasketch does? So something like this is fair game?

bluchez

fofmock wrote:

so would something like this be ok? or would that be considered going back on itself?

yes, that is allowed.

fofmock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock
j0naht wrote:Isn't that what an etchasketch does? So something like this is fair game?

This goes back over the same lines too often, like on his face it looks as if its a bunch of little lines... not official in any way but my guess is something like this would be rejected....

halfsilvered

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfsilvered

Wow. This derby should be pretty awesome, actually.

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm

This could be interesting... may even take a stab at one this week... hmmm...

>insert funny quote here<

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I have to say, this is the most interesting derby I think I'll be a part of so far. I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with!

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist

I eagerly await Bootsboots' manga stick figure entry.

Conrads

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Conrads

What do you guys think of this simple shirt?

pimaster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pimaster

I've bought a few shirts off here, but never entered a design. I think I'm gonna give it a try this week, cuz the rules sound interesting. When do I have to turn it in by, and where do I send the design?

woot!shirts I own:

godfreytemple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple

I am so doomed.

But I'm going to try anyway.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

wow... challenges make me nervous.. my brain just came to a halt when i read this one! Let's see what I can come up with.

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing

hahahaaaa. Yes it's a joke. It's a one liner!

godfreytemple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
jewelwing wrote:

hahahaaaa. Yes it's a joke. It's a one liner!

Eeeeevil.

You'll do well.

Stellardig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig

This is going to be fun! can't wait to see everyones designs. Good Luck Everyone!!! stellardig

moran31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31

This is very interesting, i do see alot of rejections, sounds like fun though, good exercise. Yee-haw!

moran31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moran31
godfreytemple wrote:I am so doomed.

But I'm going to try anyway.

You actually made me laugh, I think I am doomed also. nice good luck