mjmonah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjmonah

I want more lion shirts!

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
eHalcyon wrote:But according to you, people DO want to buy blank shirts, so why not do it? Unless you don't think anyone wants to buy blank shirts?

And to be fair, nobody said that noone would buy a blank shirt. It's just that very few would, especially here at woot. Again, Woot has already sold a blank tee once, and it fared horribly.



How did your little monster shirt fit into the optimism derby?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Sheneron wrote:How did your little monster shirt fit into the optimism derby?



Pardon? I didn't realize we were discussing that at all. But if you must...

DeadFrog wrote:Since I've been seeing the "is it really optimism?" thing a lot, here's some definitions of optimism.

Optimism-an outlook on life such that one maintains a view of the world as a positive place.

Optimism-expecting the best in this best of all possible worlds

Optimism-the optimistic feeling that all is going to turn out well

Optimism-a general disposition to expect the best in all things

This monster on this shirt clearly feels that the world is a positive place.



eHalcyon wrote:My take on the theme was not "optimism in a a bleak situation". Rather, I wanted to show an individual that was simply optimistic in nature, always looking at life like it's wonderful.



So why the sudden change of topic? Wild tangents aren't going to help defend your position. Unless you're trying for an ad hominem attack on me? I think I've been quite polite here, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to attack me or my work.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
eHalcyon wrote:So why the sudden change of topic? Wild tangents aren't going to help defend your position. Unless you're trying for an ad hominem attack on me? I think I've been quite polite here, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to attack me or my work.



Well, I just saw that little guy in your signature and it made me think of it. I don't think that the shirt fit into the derby at all; if the derby was pessimism it would have. If my shirt was rejected last time then yours should have been as well and there was no reason for my shirt to be rejected this time. It seems my shirts are just rejected because the design is simple and for some reason that bothers you people.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Sheneron wrote:Well, I just saw that little guy in your signature and it made me think of it. I don't think that the shirt fit into the derby at all; if the derby was pessimism it would have. If my shirt was rejected last time then yours should have been as well and there was no reason for my shirt to be rejected this time. It seems my shirts are just rejected because the design is simple and for some reason that bothers you people.



I'm flattered that you don't think my design is simple.

I've explained how my design was on theme. The monster clearly has an optimistic outlook on life. But that's beside the point.

The issue with your designs is that they aren't designs. That's why your entries are being rejected. And you still haven't given a good reason why you can't just buy blanks in bulk from AA yourself. You'll get it for a CHEAPER unit price than what woot is charging, and then you could possibly make some money by selling the extras yourself. I agree with you that there is a market for blank shirts. Unfortunately, that market isn't here.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
eHalcyon wrote:I'm flattered that you don't think my design is simple.

I've explained how my design was on theme. The monster clearly has an optimistic outlook on life. But that's beside the point.

The issue with your designs is that they aren't designs. That's why your entries are being rejected. And you still haven't given a good reason why you can't just buy blanks in bulk from AA yourself. You'll get it for a CHEAPER unit price than what woot is charging, and then you could possibly make some money by selling the extras yourself. I agree with you that there is a market for blank shirts. Unfortunately, that market isn't here.



The problem is that I don't want a surplus of shirts; otherwise I would. I want about 7 shirts, maybe a little more. Buying in bulk would give me a lot of shirts that would be hard to get rid of. I can't really start selling shirts out of my house, it just wouldn't work very well.

joebeimon


quality posts: 3 Private Messages joebeimon
Re: yincat-yangcat



What a great visual.... this is the type of shirt that SHOULD be printed. It would sell a whole heap a dem.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

joebeimon


quality posts: 3 Private Messages joebeimon
Re: yincat-yangcat



What a great visual.... this is the type of shirt that SHOULD be printed. Woot would sell a whole heap a dese.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Sheneron wrote:The problem is that I don't want a surplus of shirts; otherwise I would. I want about 7 shirts, maybe a little more. Buying in bulk would give me a lot of shirts that would be hard to get rid of. I can't really start selling shirts out of my house, it just wouldn't work very well.



Give them to friends. Or better yet, purchase together with friends. You said the shipping killed it on blankapparel.com. Possible ways of lowering the overall price:

- Find enough people so you can order 36. It's not a terribly big number, and it'll give you the biggest price break according to the website.

- Order white tees. They're cheaper than other colours, and you could always die them if you want.

- Consider other brands. AA isn't the only purveyor of quality goods.

You might also consider emailing them and seeing if they can give you any special shipping options, i.e. something ridiculously slow like Woot does, which would be cheaper. It's a long shot, but possible.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
eHalcyon wrote:Give them to friends. Or better yet, purchase together with friends. You said the shipping killed it on blankapparel.com. Possible ways of lowering the overall price:

- Find enough people so you can order 36. It's not a terribly big number, and it'll give you the biggest price break according to the website.

- Order white tees. They're cheaper than other colours, and you could always die them if you want.

- Consider other brands. AA isn't the only purveyor of quality goods.

You might also consider emailing them and seeing if they can give you any special shipping options, i.e. something ridiculously slow like Woot does, which would be cheaper. It's a long shot, but possible.



Those are reasonable suggestions. Thank you. I will have to look into them.

renebee73


quality posts: 3 Private Messages renebee73

"Fire flower" from rock---look up the LEHUA flower from Hawai'i. It is a red flower which blooms on the 'ohia tree out of volcanic rock. These trees look so impressive when they grow out of that stark black lava landscape near Kilauea Volcano on Big Island. That's what your design reminds me of. There is also a myth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosideros_polymorpha

jmaple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmaple
pz@woot wrote:I think many entries would benefit from having text name included, without needing to do it with the one line. It would bring focus to the one line concept. For instance having "Lineage" on this one would highlight the cleverness



I disagree, I think text would be too much.

SpastasticNomadic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: continuous solitude



At least I got a beautiful wallpaper from this one. I was really hoping this would dart up the charts at the end.

If you do end up putting this up somewhere else, please let us know. Would love to see this printed.

butonemike


quality posts: 0 Private Messages butonemike
Re: From the Ashes



This is a great design. So simple and elegant. Leagues beyond the typical overly flashy and elaborate graphic t trash you see today. I'm very impressed.

To all the "anti-phoenix" comments: Phoenixes are awesome. And while the phoenix may be over-done, it's usually poorly done. This is a beautiful shirt. I want one!

yamijim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yamijim

Ok Samus and Peach are easy....the last one is.....Zelda (Shiek) ?

Dellis1497


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dellis1497

Even before I ever bought a woot shirt, I would look over the entries and comments and would always be drawn to your exceedingly brutal comments, culminating in what (I felt) were unfair attacks on the artist behind the "stick-figure" optimist entry.

I checked out your blog and saw that your speak particularly highly of http://www.designbyhumans.com. After browsing their collection for a few minutes, i feel comfortable saying,

"Adder, I'm really sorry that they stopped selling Sparks. Don't worry, though... PBR isn't going anywhere."

kdc67


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdc67
Sheneron wrote:No no no no no no. That is all wrong. I meant to put this in my first post but I forgot. That blankapparel website was promising but it didn't work. I was going to order a few shirts but it ended up being over 10 dollars a shirt. They really knock you up on shipping.

I am not going to buy in bulk and then "sell them to my friends". Thats a pretty awful idea and according to you people no one would EVER want to buy a blank shirt. So now why would I do that? Walmart shirts are no good and the only blank ones they sell are those white undershirts. 3 shirts for 40 dollars isn't really a good deal especially if its not A.A. No you haven't helped this problem at all.

Im not insane I just want to be normal in a normal shirt.



FFS.. Only white, eh? Hmmm.

I did a quote on blankapparel.com. 3 shirts at $5.50 each with $12.48 shipping gives you $9.66 per shirt.

eHalcyon wrote:
The issue with your designs is that they aren't designs. That's why your entries are being rejected.



We have a winner! ;-)

solunsford


quality posts: 0 Private Messages solunsford

I'm bummed this one didn't make it.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kdc67 wrote:B.) Play dumb all you like. You KNOW why it got rejected, and they'll keep being rejected until you're banned from entering in derbies. You're missing the key word in the derby.. "design". A plain, straight line you whipped up in MS Paint is not a design. A design is something like oh, I don't know... what just won the derby.



Thank you for that glimpse into an idyllic world where woot bans users who use the derby as a total joke time and time again. Or for that matter, where woot has designs win a derby.

A single line, a blank shirt, a design using the same color ink as the shirt itself, an invisible dot on the top shoulder... all foolish ideas, but the reality is that they are simply not so much more foolish than some of what wins weekly.

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
kdc67 wrote:We have a winner! ;-)



I checked those links; however, I am a male. Those shirts wouldn't really fit well.

Also, the shirts at blank apparel are not A.A, but they are reasonable.

Snowymartian


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Snowymartian

I liked it enough for it to be my first shirt :^) I've been watching for a while but this is the one that made me click the 'I want One' button.

Get a Woot-Off checker here http://woot.wikia.com/wiki/Woot-Off_Checkers

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Sheneron wrote:I checked those links; however, I am a male. Those shirts wouldn't really fit well.

Also, the shirts at blank apparel are not A.A, but they are reasonable.



You must not have checked very thoroughly. There are AA shirts at blank apparel. Voila.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

tiernane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane
Sheneron wrote:The problem is that I don't want a surplus of shirts; otherwise I would. I want about 7 shirts, maybe a little more. Buying in bulk would give me a lot of shirts that would be hard to get rid of. I can't really start selling shirts out of my house, it just wouldn't work very well.


go to walmart. buy some $6 tshirts. get over it.

edit. sorry. $4 shirts i lied.

starshine968


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starshine968

rob this is so cool! i wish it was actually a shirt! -jess

Sheneron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sheneron
eHalcyon wrote:You must not have checked very thoroughly. There are AA shirts at blank apparel. Voila.



Oh hot dog. Those look good, I hope they are the same ones they sell on here. If so thatll be nice. I did a quote and for three shirts it was a little under 10 dollars per. Thanks for that link.

To the guy above this post, those aren't t-shirts they are button down shirts. Those are nice blank button down shirts, I may buy a few. I like faded glory.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
SpastasticNomadic wrote:At least I got a beautiful wallpaper from this one. I was really hoping this would dart up the charts at the end.

If you do end up putting this up somewhere else, please let us know. Would love to see this printed.



I'll probably fix it up a bit (there are some parts bothering me) then sub it at DBH, since it didn't receive an hm from woot. They can do metallic gold there. Whenever I have new designs up they're posted in my blog. Look for it next year sometime to at least vote on. Thanks for your interest.

bluebirdisdead


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebirdisdead

I love this shirt so much I want to cry.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
artulo wrote:I'll probably fix it up a bit (there are some parts bothering me) then sub it at DBH, since it didn't receive an hm from woot. They can do metallic gold there. Whenever I have new designs up they're posted in my blog. Look for it next year sometime to at least vote on. Thanks for your interest.



Please make a public announcement in a post or in your sig if it gets printed. I've never purchased anything from DBH and this design would be very tempting, especially with metallic gold...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

macr0p0d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages macr0p0d

Love that design. Very Clever. But what is the deal with all the Brown Shirts? Reminds me of a Hitler Youth rally. (not that I've been to one..I've just seen them on TV or something). Anyway what about a lovely Forrest Green or Navy or Maroon? Freaks.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
macr0p0d wrote:Love that design. Very Clever. But what is the deal with all the Brown Shirts? Reminds me of a Hitler Youth rally. (not that I've been to one..I've just seen them on TV or something). Anyway what about a lovely Forrest Green or Navy or Maroon? Freaks.



Forest Green isn't an option here, and neither is Maroon (although I guess Cranberry is close to that).

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

punkergrl300


quality posts: 0 Private Messages punkergrl300
Re: And So Beats the Music of My Heart



wow... alright i think i'm hooked

illyfili


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illyfili
Re: Resist



Wow this shirt is tight. As an EE, I MUST have one. So what happens now, is there any way for this shirt to be printed?

whirringblender


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whirringblender
sfabro wrote:sorry, i didnt realize this was already a shirt...a friend of mine sent me the same link and i immediately pulled it, but for some reason its still here... nylon
sorry bout that



So the fact that it was already a shirt is what stopped you? Not the fact that you were stealing someone else's art?