bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
masterkraig wrote:What's it the beginning of? :P

his peeps :P

starbelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starbelt
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

Walt Disney worked as an animator for Universal and created a character called Oswald the lucky rabbit. He looked just like a sloppy version of Mickey Mouse but with only one suspender and long floppy ears. Walt left Universal and wanted to take Oswald with him but universal told him no. He started his own animation studio, created Mickey in a similar image in the cartoon Steamboat Willy(a dirivation from a Buster Keaton silent picture) and his company boomed. After several years he took his rightful creation back from Universal but maintained Mickey as the image of his company.

Just putting the history out there. This is a beautiful shirt with a wonderfully hinted idea!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

starbelt wrote:Walt Disney worked as an animator for Universal and created a character called Oswald the lucky rabbit. He looked just like a sloppy version of Mickey Mouse but with only one suspender and long floppy ears. Walt left Universal and wanted to take Oswald with him but universal told him no. He started his own animation studio, created Mickey in a similar image in the cartoon Steamboat Willy(a dirivation from a Buster Keaton silent picture) and his company boomed. After several years he took his rightful creation back from Universal but maintained Mickey as the image of his company.

Just putting the history out there. This is a beautiful shirt with a wonderfully hinted idea!

I think the Disney company didn't get Oswald back until 2006 when they traded sportscaster Al Michaels for him. Strange but true.

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
soybeanio wrote:I have a BIG feeling woot won't accept this.
If woot rejects, I have some suggestions:
Slightly tree-textured-looking clothes
Thicker Hair

Well, I've been having it up since Friday afternoon, and it's still hanging in. Maybe woot is taking pity on my since I'm sort of a n00b. But thank you for the advice. I wanna try and work this a little more.

electromaniacal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages electromaniacal
cainja1 wrote:If submitted on Friday, you'd be in the fog. It's a shame the idea didn't come to you until late...

It is a shame, indeed. In fact I didn't get around to looking at this weeks derby until Monday. Completely slipped my mind.

cobolisdead wrote:Actually, it began with switches I believe. Still, great colors, reminds me of my old college mainframe interface, GMV.

Ah yes, the evolution of the computer from the cathode ray tube to BJTs and CMOS. Although computers do have more primal beginnings, it's much easier to graphically represent the command line of a computer rather than, say, a switch board. Not to mention the shirt looks so darn cool despite its simplicity.

lkackman wrote:Wasnt this done on thinkgeek?

It's quite possible. It seemed a fairly obvious idea when I thought of it so there might already be something similar.

thatrobert

quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

thatrobert

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
tgentry wrote:I think the Disney company didn't get Oswald back until 2006 when they traded sportscaster Al Michaels for him. Strange but true.

Great artist and knowledgeable you are...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
ISO30 wrote:I like the whole thing! Except for the bloodshot eyes... kinda gross. And the tongue. Also, I'm not a huge fan of yellow clocks or gray coffee cups. I love what you did with everything else, though! Fantastic!

I'm just kidding, you know. I figured it would be obvious, but don't want to leave any room for doubt. I think it's great and still surprised it doesn't have more votes.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: beginning to fly

thanks everyone for all the votes! I never expected it to pass the lion entries :P

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
HeartlineTwist wrote:

As for the great shirt debate: Did anyone actually WATCH the cartoon clip? Distressed or not, these baby turtles look NOTHING like those baby turtles. More importantly, the cartoon had HOT PINK/PURPLE ooze coming out of a sewer pipe and the turtles were covered in it with a large puddle on the floor. Not even close to a shattered test tube. Yes, I'm aware that the scene in the movie is a LOT more similar, but then use THAT to make a point. It's the best example, barring the comics because I haven't had the privilege of seeing the turtles' origin in comic form.

It's nice to have someone take the time to read through something thoughtfully without immediately umping on the defensive. Thanks.

As to the cartoon I posted, I never said nor did I think the scene reproduced here is a snapshot of the beginning from the cartoon show. I only mean that when I saw this, it immediately reminded me of the way they are drawn in the cartoon. The only real difference is the had bulge but that is more or less prominent given the particular animation frames from the cartoon.

I also do not think this is a snapshot from anything but the general concept is a direct reproduction. You have baby turtles, ooze and a vial. The elements can be shifted as much as anyone likes and the colors can be altered but none of that really makes something particularly creative or original. The biggest problem is that the design isn't saying anything. That doesn't bother a lot of people here as is evidenced by the votes, but I still do not think that makes it a good design.

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
SarahPants5 wrote:I hate to be the one to say this, but as a female, I'd be worried wearing this shirt, because the brownish color of the tree and the "bushiness" look to the branches...? Yea, I would not want to wear this. If it were the other way around, with the tree going up, I'd like it more, but it would kinda go against the idea of it being a "shadow"...*shrug* Sorry.

Never really thought about that, If I saw a girl wearing this I wouldn't think that at all. It's just a shirt after all, I would hope it would be worn out of enjoyment and not make someone self-conscious!

I do appreciate the input, it's great to get thoughts from other points of view to improve from. One single shirt can't be perfect for everyone!

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
thatrobert wrote:

Again, I humbly accept your nod thatrobert.

Thanks for the support on this design everyone who voted!

Narwhal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Narwhal
Re: 1ft in front

I love that song. I used to watch "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" all the time. ahuhu Great design!

Narwhal

Re: DNA Baby

I'd like it better if the loose end curved around a little more or something. I don't know. It just bugs me for some reason. Anyways you've got my vote.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
masterkraig wrote:What's it the beginning of? :P

My thinking is that it's the 'almost-chicken' that is the beginning of the chicken family. note the teeth- they lost them in the next generation.

Narwhal

ramthor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ramthor

[quote]Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=26207]The Beginning of the End

*VOTE*
Best so far and will buy if available.

I like the cranberry ... more subtle for street wear.
Save bright red for "The Ending"

hotcha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha

Generally, i would agree in that for me also, the derby process is flawed. I rarely buy a shirt out of the derby, and it's not because there aren't good designs. My favorites are usually stuck around 5th place.

The insulting part is the claim that i am being mindlessly manipulated into buying worthless nostalgia. If that wasn't the message, then I don't know what it was. And the problem with that claim is that it fails to acknowledge that someone might have good reason for liking this shirt. It's just a few shirt.woot crusaders who seem to have this issue.

So maybe the problem is NOT actually the derby, maybe it's that different people have different tastes, and you can't please everybody. It's interesting that somebody a while back pointed to cho's duck hunt shirt as the right way to do things. With tons of respect to cho, (i love 90% of his work, honestly) that shirt doesn't work for me at all. I would have pointed to THAT kind of cultural reference as being a symptom of the derby "problem." So maybe i'm just weird, but i sure am tired of the few loud crusaders throwing insults around.

rcluca01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcluca01
Re: Gonna Be Big in Japan

this is the only shirt I really like this week :'(

deebaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebaser

As a data analyst I demand this shirt!

I love everything about this shirt.
I just can't see wearing it.
Also I dislike the color...
... and the graphic.
/end typical shirt.woot commenter (Csmos)

brizday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizday
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

Yay! Fog! I am going to Disney World next month and I NEED this shirt!!

deebaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebaser
homeschoolwinner wrote:I bought a shirt. Then I voted for this

That is high praise indeed.

got my vote too

I love everything about this shirt.
I just can't see wearing it.
Also I dislike the color...
... and the graphic.
/end typical shirt.woot commenter (Csmos)

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
thatrobert wrote:

Wow, thanks so much

PamWham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PamWham

I am a TOTAl Diznoid. Love the place - but love this shirt even more. GMV

gizmoduck1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmoduck1234
hotcha wrote:Generally, i would agree in that for me also, the derby process is flawed. I rarely buy a shirt out of the derby, and it's not because there aren't good designs. My favorites are usually stuck around 5th place.

The insulting part is the claim that i am being mindlessly manipulated into buying worthless nostalgia. If that wasn't the message, then I don't know what it was. And the problem with that claim is that it fails to acknowledge that someone might have good reason for liking this shirt. It's just a few shirt.woot crusaders who seem to have this issue.

So maybe the problem is NOT actually the derby, maybe it's that different people have different tastes, and you can't please everybody. It's interesting that somebody a while back pointed to cho's duck hunt shirt as the right way to do things. With tons of respect to cho, (i love 90% of his work, honestly) that shirt doesn't work for me at all. I would have pointed to THAT kind of cultural reference as being a symptom of the derby "problem." So maybe i'm just weird, but i sure am tired of the few loud crusaders throwing insults around.

That you see the Duck Hunt shirt as a cultural reference "problem" says a lot to me about where you stand. It took a well known cultural reference and the artist added his own take on it, completely different viewpoint, totally different artwork. And to you that's a problem. Interesting.

People are drawn to this shirt's nostalgic appeal. That's a good reason to vote. Heck, if was being sold by the creators of TMNT I might actually want one. The problem is that appeal was created years ago by someone else and was in no way altered, commented on, transformed by the person who is going to benefit greatly from someone else's work. To me that's the problem.

Let's compare. I think taking someone else's work and putting it on a shirt with no parody, commentary, or deviation of your own for monetary gain is a problem. You think artistically recreating a well known work with your own spin is a problem.

Now looking at that, can you actually be unbiased for two minutes and admit that you are biased and making completely ridiculous arguments? Or are you just going to go on and on about loud "crusaders" throwing "insults" around? If all it boils down to is "I don't care, I'm going to vote for it anyway" then just say so. All of the counter arguments that are being made in defense of the shirt are flimsy and are just fueling more of this back and forth.

thethatcher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thethatcher
starbelt wrote:

you've got a lot of stuff right with the history, except that Walt was mickey's creator. Walt actually didn't design Mickey, and the first movie he was in was called plane crazy. Mickey is the brainchild of an animator, and friend of Walt, named Ub Iwerks.

DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
gizmoduck1234 wrote:People are drawn to this shirt's nostalgic appeal. That's a good reason to vote. Heck, if was being sold by the creators of TMNT I might actually want one. The problem is that appeal was created years ago by someone else and was in no way altered, commented on, transformed by the person who is going to benefit greatly from someone else's work. To me that's the problem.

Let's compare. I think taking someone else's work and putting it on a shirt with no parody, commentary, or deviation of your own for monetary gain is a problem. You think artistically recreating a well known work with your own spin is a problem.

You can't create cultural icons without changing the way people think. Now every time you see turtles and scientific equipment you also see ninjas. That's the commentary. That's the commentary of Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. That's what pop art was, 40 years of art theory ago.

This design isn't the ninja turtles. It's four generic turtles and some generic green liquid from a broken test tube. Yeah, it makes you think of TMNT because they were a huge part of 80s kid culture. That's the point. It says "Because of the way you and I grew up this reminds us of TMNT. Remember the ninja turtles? Yeah, they were awesome."

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
DeadFrog wrote:You can't create cultural icons without changing the way people think. Now every time you see turtles and scientific equipment you also see ninjas. That's the commentary. That's the commentary of Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol. That's what pop art was, 40 years of art theory ago.

This design isn't the ninja turtles. It's four generic turtles and some generic green liquid from a broken test tube. Yeah, it makes you think of TMNT because they were a huge part of 80s kid culture. That's the point. It says "Because of the way you and I grew up this reminds us of TMNT. Remember the ninja turtles? Yeah, they were awesome."

If so your design is completely off topic since it has nothing whatsoever to do with the derby theme.

(but seriously, do you really expect anyone to buy that? Everyone knows you were drawing the beginning of the TMNT. You wold think you could have come up with a rationalization that weak days ago when this all started if it even had a shred of truth to it.)

azadpanchi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azadpanchi
incognito9x wrote:Agreed. I really wanted to see this shirt stay in the fog. This one's my favorite design of this derby. It'll be a shame if I don't get to have one.

Agreed.. a downright shame!

DeadFrog

mrwednesday wrote:If so your design is completely off topic since it has nothing whatsoever to do with the derby theme.

(but seriously, do you really expect anyone to buy that? Everyone knows you were drawing the beginning of the TMNT. You wold think you could have come up with a rationalization that weak days ago when this all started if it even had a shred of truth to it.)

1rst--Clearly it calls to mind the beginnings of something. It's right there in the title.
2nd--Yes, I will be purchasing one myself.
3rd--Did I really need to respond to the first?
4th--Widowfrog was here 2 days ago and told me not to post this art theory stuff because then I would sound like an art snob and no one would want to vote for my shirt. (Shes back in school now :P)

gizmoduck1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmoduck1234
DeadFrog wrote:1rst--Clearly it calls to mind the beginnings of something. It's right there in the title.
2nd--Yes, I will be purchasing one myself.
3rd--Did I really need to respond to the first?
4th--Widowfrog was here 2 days ago and told me not to post this art theory stuff because then I would sound like an art snob and no one would want to vote for my shirt. (Shes back in school now :P)

And here I thought it was a simple nostalgic TMNT fan art shirt when the whole time it was deep art commenting on society (but you didn't want to say so, cause, you know, you didn't want to come off as snobby). You've officially dropped into the realm of the ludicrous. Really people, just say "I know what it is and I like it anyway" cause these arguments are getting more and more ridiculous.

hotcha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha
gizmoduck1234 wrote:That you see the Duck Hunt shirt as a cultural reference "problem" says a lot to me about where you stand.

Ohh drat, now i'm sorry I brought cho into this. Like i said before, cho does great work, the duck hunt shirt is no exception, but as a whole it didn't work for me. Now please, where do i stand? Be explicit. Lay it out for me.

gizmoduck1234 wrote:It took a well known cultural reference and the artist added his own take on it, completely different viewpoint, totally different artwork.

Certainly it did.

gizmoduck1234 wrote:And to you that's a problem. Interesting.

No, it's not a problem. There's more to a design than your very specific crusade on originality.

gizmoduck1234 wrote:TMNT originality...To me that's the problem.

Even though i'm sure i'm just throwing flame on a fire, let me try to explain why I like this shirt. It's not easy, because it isn't cognitive, it's intuitive (true of most shirts i like). I think that by distilling these elements down in his own style, the artist has created something really great. It doesn't immediately hit me as a TMNT shirt, because the artwork has a kind of child-like simplicity that doesn't fit right. But the reference is clear if you think through the symbols. It's discordant. I expect a good reaction wearing this, with just a touch of confusion. It's turtles in ooze, but maybe they'll just roll over and die of radiation poisoning. I bounced this off a couple like minded friends, they liked it too. That's a rare derby buy for me.

You don't agree - that's cool. Maybe the artist doesn't even agree. Now that i've given you tons of ammo, so you can go ahead and tell me i'm wrong. Or, you could grant me the ability to have a subjective perspective on what you clearly consider art. Tough call, i know.

gizmoduck1234 wrote:
Now looking at that, can you actually be unbiased for two minutes and admit that you are biased and making completely ridiculous arguments?

sure, I guess I am biased to an extent; everybody is. As far as my argument goes, let's see.. what's my argument? Mostly, it's that you could stand to be a WHOLE lot nicer. That's my argument. I guess you get the final word on that though. Flame on.

DeadFrog

gizmoduck1234 wrote:And here I thought it was a simple nostalgic TMNT fan art shirt when the whole time it was deep art commenting on society (but you didn't want to say so, cause, you know, you didn't want to come off as snobby). You've officially dropped into the realm of the ludicrous. Really people, just say "I know what it is and I like it anyway" cause these arguments are getting more and more ridiculous.

Conceptual works don't have to be deep or ludicrous in order to be successful. I think the apparent mass appeal of this shirt makes that clear.
Most people know that its just four turtles and some green liquid and that reminds them of the 80's. That's the commentary. They get it, and they like it because of and not in spite of that.

Barnhill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
Re: She Let Them Go

This is such a good design, Boots. So sorry to see it is NOT in the fog... congrats on the HM for your cabin fever tho, that was one of my favorites that Derby!