DeadFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
hotcha wrote:You don't agree - that's cool. Maybe the artist doesn't even agree.

I totally agree. That touch of confusion is the best part.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: 2009 Year of the Ox

I was just going through the entries, and I've gotta say, this deserved a bit more recognition... not quite for me, but it's definitely nice stylistically

byrbwr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

sure it's pretty, but i just don't have enough faith in woot to be able to print it and do any justice to the original. we'll see though.

Discobiscuits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
SarahPants5 wrote:I hate to be the one to say this, but as a female, I'd be worried wearing this shirt, because the brownish color of the tree and the "bushiness" look to the branches...? Yea, I would not want to wear this. If it were the other way around, with the tree going up, I'd like it more, but it would kinda go against the idea of it being a "shadow"...*shrug* Sorry.

gizmoduck1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmoduck1234
hotcha wrote:Now please, where do i stand? Be explicit. Lay it out for me.

I would have pointed to THAT kind of cultural reference as being a symptom of the derby "problem."

So you're talking about cultural reference, which is a part of the topic of originality.

No, it's not a problem. There's more to a design than your very specific crusade on originality.

Yes but as you said above your problem was with "that kind of cultural reference", not some other thing like the way it was drawn or what it was saying. I'm just quoting exactly what you said, I hope that's specific enough.

Your welcome to your subjective perspective, in fact I wholeheartedly recommend just saying "I like it, that's enough". But when you start countering my opinion with a stance that goes beyond subjective you should expect that someone will counter with a point of their own. No one's taking away your right to a subjective perspective, but you're going to hop into the debate in a more concrete way, don't then throw around words like "crusade" and "insult" because you don't like the way that it's going.

As for how this is now some multilayered conceptual art piece, if you can't back out of something, just dig deeper, right? Having gotten a hearty laugh from that, I think it's a good time for me to bow out with a smile.

TychPsych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TychPsych
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)

Well, it doesn't like this shirt will make the top 3, but please save this design and resub it in another dirby sometime. Please!

TychPsych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TychPsych

*doesn't look like

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
BootsBoots wrote:It was LEMON. Lemon is the new asphalt! (yes, yes, I know that it's even more unpopular than creme, but it looked the best that way. I suppose I could offer a blue version, though. Hmmmph!). I like your outrageous request.

Lemon is good. Keep it on lemon.

/doesn't need another baby blue shrit.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

dopey5007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dopey5007
byrbwr wrote:if you submitted a black shirt it'd get rejected for having too many colors. ;>

Actually Black is no color and white is the sum of all colors

~D

HalfBakedScheme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HalfBakedScheme
Re: Birth of A Tree

I really like this... it's sad that it didn't make it into the fog! I definitely would have gotten a few of these...

Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must. But never give up.

Roy16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Roy16
Re: The Genesis Clock

Nice design. It's really clever and well done.

eHalcyon

dopey5007 wrote:Actually Black is no color and white is the sum of all colors

I thought this too, but that's only true of light. With paint/printing/pigments (something like that), black is the sum of all colours and white is the absence. XP

hattopic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hattopic
Re: Birth of A Tree

I like this, but it's really similar to Tgentry's Watch it Grow

jkenney234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkenney234
Re: The epic begins

This Must Win I've already told people about how I'm getting it.

Nominate

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nominate

Ahh! Very upset that this dropped out of the fog.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jkenney234 wrote:This Must Win I've already told people about how I'm getting it.

Then you better stay up tomorrow night.

bradyson

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
AdderXYU wrote:I was just going through the entries, and I've gotta say, this deserved a bit more recognition... not quite for me, but it's definitely nice stylistically

Much thanks Adder. This is my "natural" style that I draw in the most. I need to stick to it more, but I always seem to get some hair-brained "cartoon or color" idea that I can't get out of my head and it flops because I have a long (err longer) way to go in those styles.

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."
"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

haishasan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haishasan

I think fenton (or maybe his mother) is spamming this thread just to get his posts up. HEHEHE! You're really just making people dislike you. I don't even read your posts anymore because they are too negative. You have some good points, but the presentation is so coarse that you get a lot of knee-jerk reactions to everything you try to say.

Still love it DF! I've got your pic as my background!

(seriously though, over half of your posts have been on this thread!)

AdderXYU

eHalcyon wrote:I thought this too, but that's only true of light. With paint/printing/pigments (something like that), black is the sum of all colours and white is the absence. XP

Sort of like how CMYK is used for regular printing, but in screenprinting it's not. And yet every two-bit designwhore out there seems to think using it alone is enough to create a printable shirt (worse still, most sites agree)

haishasan

Re: Their Eyes Meet

Hey that looks like me!

haishasan

Re: The Wheel's In Motion

Good design, but not with that color of shirt.

haishasan

Re: In the Beginning was the Command Line...

Oh Dos. gotta love it!

haishasan

Re: First Spark of Kindred Love

love the colors! I would love a larger view as well!

haishasan

Re: An Inauspicious Beginning

This is a smart, sharp design. I think it is also very funny.

IG64Assassin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IG64Assassin
haishasan wrote:Hey that looks like me!

Which one?

spidermatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spidermatt
Keelmy wrote:Mickey was a mouse, hence "Mickey Mouse"
Oswald was the rabbit.

yes, but Walt's origina idea wasn't a mouse. It was changed by someone (i forget who) But w.e. Stilll love the shirt

haishasan

christermime wrote:I'm surprised not more wooters can relate to this. GMV

I can! The shirt color is just not doing it for me...still...GMV!

AdderXYU

haishasan wrote:I think fenton (or maybe his mother) is spamming this thread just to get his posts up. HEHEHE! You're really just making people dislike you. I don't even read your posts anymore because they are too negative. You have some good points, but the presentation is so coarse that you get a lot of knee-jerk reactions to everything you try to say.

Still love it DF! I've got your pic as my background!

(seriously though, over half of your posts have been on this thread!)

You'll note the title of the thread below.

Pot, meet my black friend, Kettle.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
BLT205 wrote:Yay 3rd place I hope it can stay there. Would you mind if we had the same shirt? I'm glad you asked me to vote for it. I hadn't checked the derby in a while and would have missed it.

How do you know this is in third?

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:Pot, meet my black friend, Kettle.

There were also many, many posts on old derby threads. You'll notice that several old threads (Derby #4 winner, Patterns, Light) that have been bumped. haishasan was posting... a lot... before. Looks like they've all been deleted though.

AdderXYU

eHalcyon wrote:There were also many, many posts on old derby threads. You'll notice that several old threads (Derby #4 winner, Patterns, Light) that have been bumped. haishasan was posting... a lot... before. Looks like they've all been deleted though.

I know he was. I just didn't think to save those.

curiouser and curiouser. I'm refolding that tinfoil hat, sir, if you'd like me to make you one.

HeartlineTwist

qdibble wrote:i love this shirt so much! I want it! Why did it fall from the fog? Oh yeah, cause most wooters have no taste for art. I personally think that the dark on dark makes the shirt subtle. Anyone who has any sense of style WOULD stop and take a second look at this shirt. If they don't, then I don't need their attention.

Is subtle your code word for "CAN'T SEE IT?"

Subtle is the skull on the Grim Optimism shirt. I can almost guarantee that this would be about as bad, visibility wise, as Yay Broccoli was before woot fixed it.

You can do dark on dark. It's a matter of doing it while it still being visible.

Saying wooters have no taste for art is quickly becoming a trite statement. At least half of the fog is good art. As much as 3/4 of the fog could be considered art. There are several shirts a couple of places below this that are also good art.

It's easy to say wooters have no taste for art. It's just as easy to say that wooters have no taste for things they find unappealing. Art can be unappealing.

This shirt has several critiques involving the splotches and the color on color potential for problems.

eHalcyon

AdderXYU wrote:I know he was. I just didn't think to save those.

curiouser and curiouser. I'm refolding that tinfoil hat, sir, if you'd like me to make you one.

lawl. I'ven't a conspiracy theory for this one though. Spamming old threads only serves to elevate post count, and what point is there to that?

HeartlineTwist

baseproduct wrote:It's so awesome when self-important forum people try and tell everyone how they should think, using a rumor from a one-time poster who later pulled his post.

GMV Seki.

To be fair, go read the links. This is a bit more than rumor. Heck, after looking at the "evidence," this is either a strange coincidence or misunderstanding or fact.

However, I still think that incident is entirely unrelated to this site.

metsfann2020

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metsfann2020
Re: And there was light

idk how to vote could someone tell me

thesis4eva

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thesis4eva
BootsBoots wrote:You're not slow, you're probably just deeper-minded than me. It doesn't stand for or reference anything other than releasing caged birds (your standard new beginning cheesy symbolism, I guess). I like to put a lot of weird elements into my designs just to make them interesting. People can interpret them any way they want. That's part of the fun, I think. Like, the birds are kind of creepy looking, so maybe she's just released evil into the world, but feels that keeping it locked up was unnatural?

This shirt makes me think of Pandora's box, especially the interpretation that says hope is the greatest evil of all. Mmmmm, dark.

ruthsdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad

What impresses me most about this design are the lines. The right edge of the piece of paper draws your eye down to the coin formation. The eagle coin's wings point to the other two coins (the "ears"). And your eye continues down the right edge of the paper to the pencil, which points your eye directly to the mouse. But none of it really calls attention to itself.

Genius. Bravo!

HeartlineTwist

hotcha wrote:The insulting part is the claim that i am being mindlessly manipulated into buying worthless nostalgia. If that wasn't the message, then I don't know what it was. And the problem with that claim is that it fails to acknowledge that someone might have good reason for liking this shirt. It's just a few shirt.woot crusaders who seem to have this issue.

To reach this first sentence you have, you are blending together two sentences that are neither content nor spatially related. You're also personalizing a general statement about a broad range of people. I mean, a general observation is "A majority of Americans are overweight." I, as an American, can't feel insulted because I'm not overweight.

"If you're here to get fairly mindless nostalgia pieces, congratulations, you've found another good one.

's been more than adequately demonstrated by "Me-too birds flee a pander tree" that the community here is rather predictable and easy to manipulate."

Those were the original statements in full context. These two were separated into two paragraphs, and the second came before the first. The second sentence, as I said earlier, is fairly accurate. I listed examples of this. As a designer, if you can do something fairly witty with cute things, anime things, or stick figures, you'll probably get a print. Another thing is designs that look like they could be done in less than an hour. A lot of recent derby winners hold true to this.

The first sentence also holds true. There's not a lot artistically or creatively challenging about throwing a gaming controller on a shirt or something that closely resembles a famous scene or other thing. To put it in another way, a nostalgia piece can get a print for the artist being the first to think of putting the design on a shirt, as opposed to thinking of a design AND putting it on a shirt.

As I've argued above, DF did this in his own style, but that doesn't really change things.

Like I said, if you feel personally insulted, fine, but you'd have to be reading into those statements quite a bit. You'd also have to be implicitly agreeing with the statements of those general observations. I think they're accurate, but if you think they're accurate as well and opting yourself into them applying to you, it's not really insulting. Going back to my earlier example, that'd be like me BEING an overweight American and then being insulted by the general statement that "Most Americans are overweight."

brizday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizday
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

Mickey's name was supposed to be Mortimer. Walt's wife suggested Mickey, because it's cuter.

hotcha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha
gizmoduck1234 wrote:Yes but as you said above your problem was with "that kind of cultural reference"

And by "that kind" you assumed i meant... original? Of course i didn't. Why would you make such an oddly specific assumption? Maybe that's an honest mistake, but it seems like you're so fixated on this point that one might call it your... what's the word i'm looking for... quest? no... it's on the tip of my tongue...

gizmoduck1234 wrote:Your welcome to your subjective perspective

Apparently i'm not, becuase when i described it honestly, you basically called me a liar, laughed at me, then ran away. That's exactly the kind of behavior that results in me accusing you of taking an insulting tone.

QED as far i'm concerned.

And that you are demonstrably insulting and quixotic has nothing to do with your opinion on the design, so you're wrong to conflate it with my subjective view on the shirt - I sure didnt. Ohh but you've bowed out now, so i guess you won't around to correct that. Pity.