cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
SailorButterfly wrote:Not everyone on this site is an artist. If I wore this shirt, it would just look like a guy was about to start painting my boobs. :-P

ahuhu!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
theinfinityloop wrote:@Heartline - It would be cool as long as I got properly credited. Like if people said "Oh, man, ANOTHER Lemur? Yo, Loopy's the only one who can pull those off." L O L.

@jzlosman - That's a cool pic, but no. I perused some Phoenix images though.

@SailorButterfly - You are teh awesome.

@Cobol - Yeah, M:tG artwork has inspired me greatly. I'd like to design something in that style someday.

@Jimiyo - Thanks!!!

You need to initiate the lemur trend starting next derby. Seriously.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
cobolisdead wrote:Come folks! Get this back in the fog!

^!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
nbrosas wrote:ell, the problem is that the Phoenix shirts was fogged in the first place. Phoenixes aren't even original anymore! It is a nice design, I'm not saying it is, but come on. Theme has been overdone.

Apparently it has come to my attention that the Phoenix shirt is not as cemented as I previously thought...somehow. But still, more power to the Mickey shirt. I think it's better than the phoenix shirt and this shirt combined.

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: beginning to fly

nice one , love the expressions

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

Pokerp1mp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pokerp1mp
Re: A Clean Shirt

What is this?

jzlosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzlosman
Pokerp1mp wrote:What is this?

It is a play on the phrase "clean slate" I guess. It is a piece of chalk in a pocket and clean chalkboard slate.

There, I solved that mystery.

SavedChristian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian

I'm so frustrated this shirt didn't make it! This is the only shirt I was going to buy from this derby! It was such a clever and simple design! Ahh!

bluebirdisdead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebirdisdead

This shirt is made of Win

insanecarbonbasedlif

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insanecarbonbasedlif
cainja1 wrote:Try reading the 1st Chapter of Genesis. I did my homework on this design. It isn't until the 4th day that God created the sun moon and stars.

Not to nitpick, just curious about your design choices, if you when with the first creation story in Genesis, why are the land animals before the birds on the dial?

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: The Original Grill Master

Heh.. this is great!

partzispartz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages partzispartz

Great design. One suggestion for all artists: scientists hate it when the fundamentals are misrepresented, and for non-scientists that type of a mis-interpretation loses the whole point and masks the intrinsic joy found in observing nature. The DNA helix is *not* symmetrical. And that's actually one of the main points of its beauty, and its function. Go look here for one easy viewing example: http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/V.K.Sieber/dnato.htm

partzispartz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages partzispartz
partzispartz wrote:Great design. One suggestion for all artists: scientists hate it when the fundamentals are misrepresented, and for non-scientists that type of a mis-interpretation loses the whole point and masks the intrinsic joy found in observing nature. The DNA helix is *not* symmetrical. And that's actually one of the main points of its beauty, and its function. Go look here for one easy viewing example: http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/V.K.Sieber/dnato.htm

Duh. I was referring to "DNA Baby".

viper88c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viper88c
masterkraig wrote:Why would it get rejected? There aren't any gradients!

=P

A photo is full of gradients... screen printers do not do design like this unless it is a process print job, they are usin a dtg printer, or they are sublimating (which is cheap). And even if they do process print it is still exported into haltone dots. It can be done (I actually think its fun to do process printing) but here they dont do any prints of photos and stuff because there is transparent pixels and you cannot print those without rendering it out to dots first.

It would have been fine... well printable wise, if the halftone filter was applied correctly (with no transparent pixels) in photoshop or live trace was applied in illustrator!
But there was also text... and there was no text this week....

viper88c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viper88c
Stellardig wrote:I made my screen with some left over wood that i had laying around and I picked up the mesh from Jo'anns. All in all it was home made. My 1st one I every made. It worked for about 10 shirts then it was junk. I must of did something wrong? Oh well it was fun making it, a lot of work and messy, but fun to build. stellardig

Oh I see. It was probably because the mesh was applied with staples (from what I see in the drawing) When I buy frames they are special streched and glued to the frame so it last longer. Very good idea though, I didnt even know you could by a mesh at jo'anns. Just out of curiosity, did you use emulsion or did you hand draw the design on the frame with a glue?

Zansonsgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zansonsgirl

You can NEVER have too many black shirts

I love it -- it's very intriguing -- true though, I would like also to ask the artist for a signed print. This work is truly inspiring. Thanks for designing it!

~Raichyl

snac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snac
SavedChristian wrote:I'm so frustrated this shirt didn't make it! This is the only shirt I was going to buy from this derby! It was such a clever and simple design! Ahh!

My sentiments exactly... I just said that exact same thing to someone. Can we get this somewhere else?

Shannon N. Carlson

rwvoss

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rwvoss
Re: The epic begins

Awesome shirt!! This might have to be my first shirt.woot! shirt.

Keelmy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
spidermatt wrote:yes, but Walt's origina idea wasn't a mouse. It was changed by someone (i forget who) But w.e. Stilll love the shirt

You're getting your facts confused a bit.

This is quoted from wikipedia:

"In the spring of 1928, Disney asked Ub Iwerks to start drawing up new character ideas. Iwerks tried sketches of various animals, such as dogs and cats, but none of these appealed to Disney. A female cow and male horse were also rejected. They would later turn up as Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar. (A male frog, also rejected, would later show up in Iwerks own Flip the Frog series.)[3] Walt Disney got the inspiration for Mickey Mouse from his old pet mouse he used to have on his farm. In 1925, Hugh Harman drew some sketches of mice around a photograph of Walt Disney. These inspired Ub Iwerks to create a new mouse character for Disney."

I'll be the 1st to admit that wiki is probably not the be all end all for facts. Having said that, the exact origins of Mickey Mouse has been fudged a bit from book to book leaving the the true origin a bit shrouded in mystery.

[/url]

Zansonsgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zansonsgirl
Re: Guess Who Came First?

He looks hungry...

deedletree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedletree
Re: 1928. The birth of an icon.

I missed voting in this derby. This shirt must win!

cinderandsmoke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinderandsmoke

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
insanecarbonbasedlif wrote:Not to nitpick, just curious about your design choices, if you when with the first creation story in Genesis, why are the land animals before the birds on the dial?

Yeah, the fifth day should be birds and sea creatures. The sixth day is land animals and mankind.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

PurpLshoez7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PurpLshoez7

This kind of reminds of the "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop" owl.

noahblair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noahblair

neat

enamore22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enamore22

Yep. I'd buy one.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:Since this is unlikely to win here, could you please make the rounds on the various competitions sites with this design? I'm loathe to buy from Spreadshirt because of the lower quality and higher cost. If you put this on Cameesa, you'll have my support. And if not any of those, could you please TeeFury it before going to Spreadshirt?

Same goes for Big Words.

I have to agree here... this is simply too epic to waste away on Spreadshirt. Shop it around to Threadless, maybe DBH, and if nothing comes of it, I will guarantee I will be among the supporters to print this as Cameesa.

And not just because you got blogged again.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SailorButterfly wrote:Not everyone on this site is an artist.

If I could, I would forge you a medal what says "truest words spoken here"

ZPlaxco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZPlaxco

Awesome.

jazari

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazari
Re: The Wheel's In Motion

... is it just me or does it look like its spelling out " l o l "?

lynlynlora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lynlynlora

congrats for the highest derbystast vote count that I've ever seen. (just me personally. I don't know if there have been others that high, I wasn't paying attention until the last few months.) I shall be waiting at midnight to buy.

Jimmy... Is That You?, F5 Refreshes You!, At Last We Meet..., When Life Gives You Lemons, What Kitty?, 1986: The Legend Was Born, New Kid In Town, Fat Unicorn, The Cake is a Liar, Plan B, Eight Fists of Death, Rampage Wear, Easy Optimism, Tuesday's Gonna Be Rough, The Epic Begins, One more gargleblaster!, The Original Blue Hedgehog, Sun Wukong, The Monkey King, Navy Seals, Running Wild, I'm Sorry, Winning the Race, Read a Book, How We Roll

...and very proud of it.

terriejc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terriejc
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)

This is my first post. I watch the derbies faithfully and am the proud owner of over 20 shirts. I am saddened that this shirt didnt' make it. It has been quite a while since a shirt has one that I would buy but this was it. Great design!

Take It Back, Now that's just overpriced
The Best Thing Since, Dissipate
Cool Breeze x2, GI Metro
Autumn Breeze, Decomposition

invisii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages invisii
Re: Birth of the Moon

mystically beautiful♥

halldesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halldesigns
Re: Blank Canvas (white) (resub)

i just want to say thanks guys for my liking my design, i never had a shirt in the fog before and it felt great when it was in there. but sadly it got knocked out and its ok, maybe later on woot will pull this design out in the future for a "designs that almost got printed" theme. ahuhu.

eastcobbler

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eastcobbler

eastcobbler

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eastcobbler
Re: There Will Be Cookies

Woulda bought this for sure if it won!

ejbilynsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejbilynsky
smedgrick wrote:That's what I'm talking about. If everyone had something helpful to say, then train-wrecks like this could be avoided.

Constructive criticism: you should draw a tree, perhaps something like this?

Why'd you draw a mushroom cloud ? Thats more like the end, not the beginning...

xing507

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xing507

This is a shirt i would honestly love to own, amazing design

xing507

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xing507

I love it, the design is very intricate but it gives the feeling of tranquility and simplicity