+ Add a Comment

speedcheetah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedcheetah
eHalcyon wrote:Well you've got the correct colour in your design detail image. It's just the comp that seems off.

I'm not really sure what's up. The PSD has the right color, but it is the comp as you said that seems off. Possibly it is because I was working with cmyk and saved it as rgb... I dunno.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
speedcheetah wrote:I'm not really sure what's up. The PSD has the right color, but it is the comp as you said that seems off. Possibly it is because I was working with cmyk and saved it as rgb... I dunno.

That could screw it up. RGB always.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Hope Seed

This reminds me of the fountain, a supremely sad and beautiful movie.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: The Beginning of the End

Why oh why does great imagery have to be ruined by religion. Design is great, colors are great, but I just can't vote for a religious shirt.

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
eHalcyon wrote:HA! Hilarious title, sir. I don't think it's conveyed very well in the design - after 60 days, I think you should add some detail to the image, including a big "Instant Puberty! in the background, and submit it on Threadless.

good thinking. i was going to originally go with "i'm ready to grow up now" but i liked this title so much more when i was bouncing my title ideas off my brother.

either way, it's not a winning design here,but i'll probably throw it up somewhere else down the road and see where it goes from there. thanks e!

Barnhill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barnhill5
eHalcyon wrote:
I especially like that one end of the flames looks like a scroll. Intentional, I presume?

Not trying to interpret for anyone, but the scrolly looking area on the bottom might also appear to some to portray an "abstract" open Bible - at least that was my interpretation and it seemed to fit with the rest of the graphic/title.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
eHalcyon wrote:Something about orange on red rubs me the wrong way, but you definitely need that red background for the piece - fiery skies and all.

fairnymph wrote:Gorgeous design, awesome theme, brilliant colours....and I really want a red shirt.

tgentry wrote:Thanks!, It's cranberry. I tried red but it was just too much.

I thought the print was red, too, until I saw TG's post. I'm glad, though. I love cranberry, and think it's the prettiest color for a print. Especially this design.

I'm still wishing Drakxxx's design would have printed this derby

eHalcyon

Jestik wrote:I thought the print was red, too, until I saw TG's post. I'm glad, though. I love cranberry, and think it's the prettiest color for a print. Especially this design.

I've no confusion that it's cranberry. But cranberry is still red - just a dark red.

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
snarkygal wrote:Oh look, it's a tree branch....and come birds. How original. Give us a break Riff. You can do better than this drek over and over.

I was trying to give you a break by giving you the option to neither view nor comment on my design. It looks like you don't even want a break.

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

sharpie23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharpie23
Re: first day of school

Love the colors... the splotches of red complement the green very nicely. The apple was a great suggestion... good job.

nbrosas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbrosas
Re: One Bite

No Gradients brotha.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
eHalcyon wrote:Hmm, actually, I guess I don't have "too many". I have 2 each of black, navy and asphalt. Then I have 1 each of olive, white, creme, cranberry, royal blue, kelly green and baby blue. This is only counting woots I've gotten for myself. I also have Insomnia from Threadless (kelly green), which is probably my favourite shirt of all time.

So about what I have, but a bit more varied. Can you really wear all those colours or do you not care?

I like the Insomnia shirt - it's cute, but not something I'd wear. I really love the humping unicorns (Afternoon Delight) but the colours are like, the worst ever for my skin tone and my tastes. I did get the artist to sell me the design to use to print my own shirt on a colour I CAN wear, though, which was awesome of him.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

nbrosas

Re: The epic begins

I don't really like the fact that it's the same style as the LWW one, but this idea is so freaking awesome I have to vote for it and I would buy it.

fairnymph

dekonstruct wrote:I really like the diagonal lines in lieu of using halftones or crosshatching. A very elegant solution.

How about just a solid, lighter colour/shade instead (as in one of the early drafts of this design)? I can see where you are coming from, but to me it sort of clashes with the organic, swirly, naturalness of the design.

ehalcyon - ooh, thanks for the editing tip!

eHalcyon

fairnymph wrote:So about what I have, but a bit more varied. Can you really wear all those colours or do you not care?

I like the Insomnia shirt - it's cute, but not something I'd wear. I really love the humping unicorns (Afternoon Delight) but the colours are like, the worst ever for my skin tone and my tastes. I did get the artist to sell me the design to use to print my own shirt on a colour I CAN wear, though, which was awesome of him.

I don't care that much. I'm avoiding baby blue and creme now, but I like the shirts I've got.

Irrelevant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Instant Puberty

Also: on a sidenote....if anyone reads this and is NOT voting for, feel free to leave any thoughts on what should be worked on for it's future. keep in mind the art is not supposed to look the style of that plumber; i'm going for a a different aesthetic and a more bubbly look. but does it need other elements?

mrmiller1023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmiller1023

pretty sweet, i like it a lot, props

mrmiller1023

pretty sweet, i like it a lot, props

nbrosas

Really though, ANOTHER Phoenix? Sigh, voters are failing again.

fairnymph

dekonstruct wrote:Why oh why does great imagery have to be ruined by religion. Design is great, colors are great, but I just can't vote for a religious shirt.

Hee, I love the theme, although I am not Christian and for the first millisecond I thought this was just a fantasy/warrior thing. But, Biblical stuff is still very culturally relevant and apocalyptic stuff is interesting. This just has a tremendous epic, mythic feel to me, in addition to being beautifully violent. I don't consider this necessarily a 'religious' shirt. You can reference things without being religious or dogmatic.

The nice thing is I can get this shirt for my niece (as well as for myself), who's almost a precocious goth (she loves violence, this kid) but whose parents are born-agains and wouldn't allow her a shirt like this UNLESS they could justify it religiously. So, win-win! (and win, shirt, win!)

Jestik wrote:I thought the print was red, too, until I saw TG's post. I'm glad, though. I love cranberry, and think it's the prettiest color for a print. Especially this design.

I knew it was cranberry - forgot there was another red entirely, actually - so I too was using 'red' as in 'cranberry is a shade of red'. And I LOVE this shade of red.

But I am sad like you that Illustrator's Block failed. I'm betting the other shirt I would have bought (that had a chance at winning, at least) will not get printed either. Le sigh.

mrmiller1023

is it supposed to be a flower getting snowed on?

fairnymph

dekonstruct wrote:I think this might be where TMNT fans and raver culture meet.

Heeeeeeeeeeeee!

masterkraig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: Birth of A Tree

A sprout casting a shadow of a great tree!

ENLARGED VIEW

Vote!

Thanks,
masterkraig

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

dolphin76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphin76
Re: The epic begins

GMV. Will buy 2 if it wins...one for my daughter and one for her best friend--cannot believe that TMNT is still around today!

w: 10 w.w: 15 s.w: 60 so.w: 3 k.w: 7

nbrosas

Re: Where Do Baby Robots Come From?

The USB nest is genius

xxchange

quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: Birth of the Moon

So EPIC!

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
artulo wrote:ditto

I third the liking of the stick woman and baby. That's great.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
eHalcyon wrote:If you put this on a blue shirt, you could integrate the design far better.

Along the same lines, I think that only the inside of the oval should be blue if you want to keep it on a black shirt.

BootsBoots

Re: The Heir

I really like this.

sekiyuko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sekiyuko
DeadFrog wrote:Gizmoduck,

Yes, I interpreted your "direct shot from the movie" comment as having a bit of a copyright infringement tone to it. If that is not what was meant by it, sorry that my interpretation was off.

I'm sorry you don't like my design and I am sorry that it has irritated you enough to come here and toss around insults.

I do like my design. I never said I was trying to be "original" (if anything in this day and age can be classified as original) or some creative genius. I know the story, but like I said I have never seen the movies. I thought TMNT would work for this derby theme as it is iconic enough for people to get it when they see it. In its own way it symbolizes a beginning to a much enjoyable part of my childhood (and probably several others).

Point DF.

BootsBoots

Irrelevant wrote:Also: on a sidenote....if anyone reads this and is NOT voting for, feel free to leave any thoughts on what should be worked on for it's future. keep in mind the art is not supposed to look the style of that plumber; i'm going for a a different aesthetic and a more bubbly look. but does it need other elements?

I agree with eHalc about adding the title into the design (for next time). I'd also move the guy back a little. It looks like he's standing just a little too far in front of the mushroom to be able to be looking at it like he is. Other than that it's great. Love the idea and the title.

kitsune13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitsune13
xxchange wrote:So EPIC!

I have mostly black shirts, so don't need a new one....

.... but I'd have to get this one

I love it - it is gorgeous!

Liannalives

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Liannalives
Re: The Race Begins

I love rocketships.

nbrosas

Re: The biggest painter

Real creationism

GoldBerry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GoldBerry
Re: Birth of the Moon

This is absolutely amazing. Love the colors and everything. Only design that I've voted for so far.

I actually just recently watched a tv show on BBC called Catastrophe that explained this theory as well as others. Very interesting stuff.

WidowFrog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WidowFrog
Re: And the winner is... (resub)

I really love the pissed off egg. I just want to take it home and hug it. :D

mrmiller1023

rowrrr.... good looking cougar :D

ISO30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
Re: The Heir

Eeeeeeeva?

SpastasticNomadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: The Beginning of the End

Not my style, but the colours used are really beautiful. Good luck with this.

sekiyuko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sekiyuko

This is my favorite design you've ever done! LOVE IT! Seki Rocks!