cak3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cak3

It means "my little cabbage" and is a term of endearment, or so I just discovered using a little something I like to call the internets.

I would totally get it too, if it wasn't pink. I love the design, and its cute and funny... but a pink shirt really wouldn't work out for me.

And whats this about a new color? I havent been paying attention. But I would wear a violet/indigo shirt.

cuchalainfilms

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cuchalainfilms
eHalcyon wrote:But you said in the linked post that you would definitely buy one. Now are you going to be a man of your word, or not?

OOOOOOH...Adder just got served.

I think "got served" should have a filter.

I also can't wait for Jadenkale's interpretation of "Fountains of Woot" On Organic Galaxy.

Tizzan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tizzan

I saw this and I immediately bought one. My friends and I love it. Now I can't wait to get it in however long it will take since it never seems to be consistent, haha.

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
matma79 wrote:Thanks, I ordered it. If i get any dirty looks I'll just blame my ex-wife. I blame her for everything anyway.

Ha ha. Good thinking! But, no, you should be fine.
I think it will be great.

I just found a onesie:

http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/mon-petit-chou-infant-bodysuit/290843687

and I believe there is a Mon Petit Choux clothing line for kids too now that I'm more awake and thinking.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
smedgrick wrote:But there's already asphalt and heather gray.

unless you mean a shirt woven of silver threads, that would be much appreciated.

By the way, I'm all for the violet/indigo idea.

Asphalt is too dark and the mottling of heather gray often detracts from the design. I'd love silver as well.

But my number one choice would have to be GOLD. Lemon is so washed out. Nice bright AA gold would be wonderful.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

heartluce

quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:Asphalt is too dark and the mottling of heather gray often detracts from the design. I'd love silver as well.

But my number one choice would have to be GOLD. Lemon is so washed out. Nice bright AA gold would be wonderful.

I love the gold, also silver, forest green and definitely purple!

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
eHalcyon wrote:But you said in the linked post that you would definitely buy one. Now are you going to be a man of your word, or not?

I do believe he's still getting one.

I hope a mod comes back to the "community discussion" section and modifies Adder's "weaseling out" to "photographic proof".

ScuzzBunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScuzzBunny

Honestly, it's about time for something pink! 90% of the Woot shirts are male-oriented on black, gray, or navy. It's nice to see something a little more girly for a change, and hell, the picture is just adorable. So give us girls a break. Let us indulge in something pink for once. Sheesh.

-Scuzz

2thFairy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
ScuzzBunny wrote:90% of the Woot shirts are male-oriented

You must not be checking the site much lately. All of the cutesy dung that has been spewed forth recently is not exactly what I would consider male-oriented designs.

JadenKale

2thFairy wrote:You must not be checking the site much lately. All of the cutesy dung that has been spewed forth recently is not exactly what I would consider male-oriented designs.

Shhhh...

scuzz has been on sabbatical since April... what with the Easter season and all. She's just waking from her year long slumber.

All Easter bunnies need their overly perky cottontail slumber.

snarkygal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal

Yay E, way to call him out! hee hee hee

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
dubrocker wrote:in south louisiana french, a word pronounced chou (chew) means ass... so you're wearing a shirt that potentially translates into "my little ass"

I guess this really IS perfect for me. Though I'm a big ass.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
2thFairy wrote:You must not be checking the site much lately. All of the cutesy dung that has been spewed forth recently is not exactly what I would consider male-oriented designs.

It's not what I'd consider human oriented designs.

hookemhorns212 wrote:I am new around here but I just wondered if Adder has ever had anything printed by woot?

I've just recently been printed elsewhere, if you check below. As for woot, there are plenty of artists far more talented than I'll ever be that woot has shafted for a print time and again. I'd admittedly feel pretty embarrassed if I snagged one here before, say, Artulo or SkiRochester, not to mention any number of long departed designers that never got their dues.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5

It is amazing color for shirts. this horse looks great on it. but I think the model was sick she chucked on her shoulder.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

slwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slwiseman

My Little Cabbage
or My Little Poppet
Poppet, puppet, child, doll.

So in colloquial French it's My Little Doll.

JadenKale

TAYLORT5 wrote: It is amazing color for shirts. this horse looks great on it. but I think the model was sick she chucked on her shoulder.

I am not a fan of that shirt. Color? yes. Shirt print? no.

slwiseman wrote:My Little Cabbage
or My Little Poppet
Poppet, puppet, child, doll.

So in colloquial French it's My Little Doll.

so in America it's "My Little CabbagePatch Kid"

Way to turn an 80's phrase... I bet the ponies are bucking on this.

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles

Uh, actually the phrase is ungrammatical, kind of, sort of like.

"Chou" is a feminine noun.

Therefore, you don't use "Mon", you use "Ma"

Also, you don't use "Petit", you use "Petite"

Therefore, the "proper translation" (if you are a 'stuck-up sticky beak' like I've heard some Brits call each other) should have been

"Ma Petite Chou"

Of course, that would only be if you were one of those Francophile misogynist Parisians who work at that "Let's Keep Our Language Pure" institute.

As it is, apparently both forms are used although Google only reports about 285,000 hits for "mon petit chou" but 408,000 for "ma petite chou". So it kind of looks like the feminine version is queen of the roost. Sort of appropriate that the t-shirt is pink; but not so appropriate that the gentle-person is wearing a moustache. Although I will admit I saw some fairly fierce moustaches on the upper lips of a few Belgian house-wives when I lived there for three years.

Albireo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Albireo
zozzles wrote:Uh, actually the phrase is ungrammatical, kind of, sort of like.

Therefore, the "proper translation" (if you are a 'stuck-up sticky beak' like I've heard some Brits call each other) should have been

"Ma Petite Chou"

Of course, that would only be if you were one of those Francophile misogynist Parisians who work at that "Let's Keep Our Language Pure" institute.

As it is, apparently both forms are used although Google only reports about 285,000 hits for "mon petit chou" but 408,000 for "ma petite chou". So it kind of looks like the feminine version is queen of the roost. Sort of appropriate that the t-shirt is pink; but not so appropriate that the gentle-person is wearing a moustache. Although I will admit I saw some fairly fierce moustaches on the upper lips of a few Belgian house-wives when I lived there for three years.

Actually, this was kind of bugging me, too. My mom used to call me "ma petite chou" all the time when I was a kid, so I was wondering if she had just forgotten all her French lessons, or if there was more than one way of saying it.

Holding out for those Adder pix.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:I've just recently been printed elsewhere, if you check below. As for woot, there are plenty of artists far more talented than I'll ever be that woot has shafted for a print time and again. I'd admittedly feel pretty embarrassed if I snagged one here before, say, Artulo or SkiRochester, not to mention any number of long departed designers that never got their dues.

Congrats to you, sir. Although wasn't this one already done? Not a rip on you, of course.

Artulo's not going to get printed at woot. He'll get printed again at Uneetee and DBH for sure. But not at woot.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

LazyLizzie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LazyLizzie

I am French and indeed "mon petit chou" means "my small cabbage", but it would translate by "sweetie pie" or "honey bunny" figuratively. It is a very widespread term of endearment you can use for anyone (except parents or friends). To your boyfriend or girlfriend, or kids and babies. It's not the cheesiest expression we have. So go for it! It iz zery cute and I love ze color :-p

LazyLizzie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LazyLizzie
zozzles wrote:Uh, actually the phrase is ungrammatical, kind of, sort of like.

"Ma Petite Chou"

Zozzles, sorry, but you are completely wrong.

Le chou
La salade
La laitue...

point is, chou is masculine. Mon petit chou is perfectly correct, 'ma petite chou' is not and I've never heard it in my all my life (I was born and raised in France).

Maybe people use it, but it is like the expression "un beau gosse" (a hottie, for a guy) which people use sometimes for girls "belle gosse", but it is not frequent and more of a casual, cutesy statement.

So yay for the moustache on the cabbage! It's perfectly fitting.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

so they're going to print this shirt, and used a special color, and resurrect the Valentine from last year....all pretty much to make Adder buy it?

And you were thinking woot doesn't pay attention to you...

blahmcblah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
eHalcyon wrote:Congrats to you, sir. Although wasn't this one already done? Not a rip on you, of course.

Artulo's not going to get printed at woot. He'll get printed again at Uneetee and DBH for sure. But not at woot.

Yep, Tom stole from himself (and Threadless... sorta). You should read all about it. I did!

And don't forget, Art got printed at Teefury too (twice!). I'm hoping for an EC!

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell

Ah, The Pink Adder strikes again.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Cute shirt, but not me, I'm hoping for some good designs this week in the heartbreak derby.

negativecharisma

quality posts: 4 Private Messages negativecharisma

I'm in for one! In French class, we used the term "Mon petit chou-chou", which was my little brussel sprout, I believe. This is close enough. :p

Jestik

yeah, OK, I bought one. I might not ever wear it, but since it's The Pink Adder Shirt, along with a good back story, I figure it's a good addition to my collection....

How do you say "In for One" in french ?

renebee73

quality posts: 3 Private Messages renebee73

It's find for a kid. "My sweet little cabbage." Very vegan. Merci, WOOT!!

ponagathos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ponagathos

It is shirts like this and yesterday's design that will have me avoiding the random shirt deals in the future.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
eHalcyon wrote:

Ah, shucks. No prints at woot? I do like the idea of additional dbh and uneetee prints though! Maybe I'll branch out beyond the traditional contest sites....

And ZOMG for pink shirts. I need to buy one of these for my daughter.

Hey woot, give us more colors!

ncteach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncteach

So I get this wake-up call this morning from the Persian Gulf "Papa please purchase the pink before they're all sold out to people in Picayune, Pahrump and Portsmouth."
"Cabbage?" I question.
"Yes Papa please," She pleads. "We're French."
"My pleasure Pumpkin."

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Pink should become a permanent color. Just saying. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Jestik

superspryte wrote:Pink should become a permanent color. Just saying. ^_~

and with the recent addition of kid's sizes, they would go hand-in-hand.

(and another vote for deep purple)

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Had to get one. This whole thing is just too funny not to. Let's see the picture when you get yours Adder.

clmartin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clmartin

FYI: Mon petit chou (my little cabbage) is a common french term of endearment. This would be COMPLETELY appropriate for a small child

aehix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aehix

A must have, my husband has called me this for years! It made me smile...

P.S. BIG Vote for Purple for it is my favorite color!!!

itsbeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsbeth

I like cute when it's combined well with strange. In for one!

Mallrat31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mallrat31

This for the longest time was the only thing I knew how to say in French. Sadly I am not manly enough to pull off pink...

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

I concur

radiomode

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radiomode

Also too add:
aqua, eggplant, gold, and silver (instead of miss heather)

please

camelsamba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages camelsamba

Those of you who said you would buy the cabbage in the valentine thread (there were more than just Adder) and are now trying to back out because it's pink? Perhaps you missed the fact that the CARD VERSION was ALSO on PINK. You didn't say "I'd buy the cabbage if you printed it on some other color." So stop the weaseling. Because, you know, this goes on your permanent record or something dire like that...