tisonlyame


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tisonlyame

...

If I'm going to wear a shirt that looks just like The Great Wave, I might as well get a shirt with the actual Great Wave. This shirt isn't original at all, though some people have said it is - compare it to the original image. Even the shape and placement of the waves are the same. Only difference is the lack of boats and some strange detailing in the wave crest that just isn't different enough.

Sorry, nice try, but it's still not really appealing to many of us art people.

Erving


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erving

I like this shirt and want to get it but I need some size help from somebody. A small woot shirt is a little too tight on me so Im thinking of getting a medium but I don't want it really baggy on me. Does anyone know if a medium is drastically bigger than a small?

psyddicus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages psyddicus
mjc613 wrote:I totally disagree with you. Here is an example of a shirt that belies your point.



This is incredible because I was originally going to say "You don't see a lot of people walking around with the Mona Lisa on their shirt."

cascade2k


quality posts: 5 Private Messages cascade2k

It may not be Van Gogh, but the main page pretty much nails it. It's better than another thinly veiled video game reference, a horrible pun, or snarky animals. If it was reverse psychology, well, it worked. In for one.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
psyddicus wrote:This is incredible because I was originally going to say "You don't see a lot of people walking around with the Mona Lisa on their shirt."



I think the point still stands. Just because the shirt exists doesn't mean a lot of people are going around wearing it.

Sorry jimi, I'm with the majority on this one. Great art, beautiful style and all that, but no real concept that I can see. I think you've done way better.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Erving


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erving

can someone offer some insight?

tisonlyame


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tisonlyame

@Erving - For me a small I accidentally got one time was way too small but medium fits me just right - so a decent difference between sizes. However those were the women's sizes so I don't know if it's the same for men's.

mcweinert


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mcweinert

i just need to say the descriptions continue to be the main reason woot is so amazing

-weinert

Erving


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Erving
tisonlyame wrote:@Erving - For me a small I accidentally got one time was way too small but medium fits me just right - so a decent difference between sizes. However those were the women's sizes so I don't know if it's the same for men's.



thank you for the info

mcweinert


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mcweinert
Erving wrote:I like this shirt and want to get it but I need some size help from somebody. A small woot shirt is a little too tight on me so Im thinking of getting a medium but I don't want it really baggy on me. Does anyone know if a medium is drastically bigger than a small?



i fit better in a medium but i can wear a small. after the mediums go through the wash once they are almost too short for me though. i almost want to get larges sometimes. im like 6'+ tall so

-weinert

faughtey


quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

Erving wrote:I like this shirt and want to get it but I need some size help from somebody. A small woot shirt is a little too tight on me so Im thinking of getting a medium but I don't want it really baggy on me. Does anyone know if a medium is drastically bigger than a small?



You can check the American Apparel sizing chart. It gives exact sizes in inches, and is located at the bottom of the page.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Erving wrote:can someone offer some insight?



If you feel that Medium is too baggy, just shrink it down.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

ttdesigns


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
Stexe wrote:Huhm... the waves look oddly familiar to this clipart one I found for use in my art class... same curl and basic shape...

I guess there is only so much you can do with waves, but still seems a little strange.

Personally, if there is just a plain design on a t-shirt, I want it to be special. Like with special inks that makes it water color or spread around the whole shirt or something different. Congrats though...



well he dose also creat clipart packs so you might have one of his. Jimio has a nice cleen stile that lends its self to many different types of designs.

jaideam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaideam

I was thrilled when I saw this design. I love Japanese wave style, and so does my husband. Finally was able to get a shirt for him from here. In fact, I got one for both of us.

rocketjohn


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rocketjohn

I like this - I have a print of the 'original' on my wall.

I have seen quite a few different looking interpretations, and I don't see anything wrong with this one.

Woot: More like this, less cute animal nonsense please. Have some respect for yourselves.


Edit: Just checked my bank balance. In for one. Payday soon enough.

mybell


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell

This is a nice design, is that Mt Fuji in the background? I lived in Japan for a year and they have a great love of Mt. Fuji and the sea, so this very much reminded me of the art work that I saw there.

Congratulations on the print.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
psyddicus wrote:This is incredible because I was originally going to say "You don't see a lot of people walking around with the Mona Lisa on their shirt."


I used to have a cool Mona shirt from the Pratt institute. It was done as a paint-by-number print, but some of the areas had Greek letters or symbols instead of numbers. Got lots of compliments on that one.

Didn't see one exactly like that on Cafe Press, but they had a gazillion different versions and parodies of Mona Lisa. Do they all sell? Maybe not, but I sure quite a few do.

I am also hoping to get a shirt with a parody of Whistler's Mother very soon.

Tr0nn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tr0nn

I had to get it, although it looks like a rip off of Great Wave off of Kanagawa by Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai... I guess that's the appeal for me. Good job

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

Jimi I hope this sells out by 6 a.m. or sooner, cause you deserve it. I'm getting mine by tuesday, I'll be stylin it then.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

ya, jimiyo!!!

Congrats on the daily, I've been waiting on this one to show up since you showed it to us a while ago! I'm down for two of these bad boys, great job! This will go nicely in my closet next to the Death on a Pale White UNICORN! I just got

oh, also, I'm still waiting on that trade for the crackers and rib...

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Congrats Jimiyo! The design looks great!


fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire

Too bad woot can't print this huge and wide across the bottom, maybe even running onto the back a little. I'd have to hit that shirt. I'd hit it HARD. Kapow! Pew pew!

pencilears


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pencilears
Moraiat wrote:Compulsively ordered this shirt due to The Great Wave off Kanagawa inspiration. I really like the design.



same here, also I thought it was beautiful and then got guilt-tripped by the text.

moviewatcher


quality posts: 1 Private Messages moviewatcher

Congrats on the print. Nice looking? Yes. Original? Not so much as interpretive. Gonna buy? meh.

Don't have a problem with the cutesy and anthropomorphic. Sometimes those just resonate better with the concept they are conveying. Many times not. Would like more than the cartoony, BUT...

Went to the vaunted sites for "adults" and there's damned little I'd want from them. Not quite to the level of Art like someone crapping in a bottle of urine, but unappealing nonetheless. Better chance of getting something I like at shirt.woot. The designs may be a "sellout" in the opinion of some at shirt.woot, but still they are something that I'm not likely to see on tons of people while I'm walking about.

Best write-up ever, shirt.woot

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
Erving wrote:I like this shirt and want to get it but I need some size help from somebody. A small woot shirt is a little too tight on me so Im thinking of getting a medium but I don't want it really baggy on me. Does anyone know if a medium is drastically bigger than a small?



in the sizing chart, it says a men's small fits 34-36 chest and a medium fits 38-40. so it's prob ~2 inches wider.

registereduse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages registereduse

Holy Hokusai, Batman! Not inspired enough for me. It's a very nice design but it is far too similar to the Great Wave. However, I love all the other designs but I'm open to "higher" artistic renderings as well. This one bothers me somehow because I can only think of the original painting when I look at it.

* I took a longer look and I stand by what I said, but even on my computer I can tell it is a beautiful design by someone that respects Katsushika's mastery.

Act on these orders with great speed.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson

There is usually a fine line between inspired and "too similar."

Regardless, I love the illustration on this.

:c)

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

Thanks for all the positive comments and even the su.ck ones I think are funny cause I know Im pretty awesome.

Joel is Awesome.
Barbara is Awesome.
Woot is awesome.
Thanks for the opportunity!

Rabbithorn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rabbithorn

I like it, but not much. I understand it's a Hokusai quote but I don't understand the point, y'know? There should be an inherent message in the reference and it's not showing up to my eye.

Gaddfly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gaddfly

Wow, this shirt freaking rocks! Great job to the artist.

FortunesPlatinum


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FortunesPlatinum

Love the art, love the colors, but I don't know... tough call...

Pufferfishy


quality posts: 39 Private Messages Pufferfishy

In for one as a gift. Nice!

You've been put on posting probation for this post

MommaPhoenix


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MommaPhoenix

I like it. Personally, I don't care how similar it is the a famous piece of art--it's still pleasing to my eye. :D However, as I have 7 woot shirts in various stages of delivery, I can't in good conscience buy this one as well. O.o

Make the mailguys go faster Woot!

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

Jimiyo: you sir are no slouch. I'm in.
Woot: Hear that? I'm stepping up.

Groowalla


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Groowalla

I'm in art retail and I'm glad I'm not too pretentious to wear this shirt. Thank you. I love it.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Want. So very want. I might buy it even though I can't wear it in Japan (people would look at me almost as strangely as if I wore a shirt with incorrect Japanese characters).

By the way, I spent a good deal of time analyzing and writing about the Hokusai's Great Wave and the rest of that series as well in college. Now I doubly love it.

Great job jimi~!

(and for those who may wonder, yes I have Zenne's Lady Out Of Water.)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
superspryte wrote:By the way, I spent a good deal of time analyzing and writing about the Hokusai's Great Wave and the rest of that series as well in college. Now I doubly love it.



Oh Hai Super! It's been a long while since I've seen you internetly.

Hope you are doing well in Japan. I bet the Japanese love you out there.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots

Yay, Jimiyo! It's very pretty and visually interesting. Congrats.


Doverhere


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doverhere

FROM WOOT:
So today’s the day. If you’ve had your fill of the adorable cannibal-animals and the anthropomorphic vegetables, here’s your chance to step up or shut up – all in the name of art, of course.
END WOOT.

Agree, and fed up with the cutesy carp. But problem is the design of this 'wave' is not well executed, IMV.

Just my worthless .02 cents.

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey

This is nice, and I love the shirt description on the front page!